Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap ski benches - waxing mainly

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Before I progress to full on servicing I would like a cheap solution to a bench for waxing.

I was looking at these

http://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-fold-up-saw-horse-pair/83366

I was worried mainly about the stability when I started to scrape the skis. Anybody use saw horses or have any clever solutions.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I bought one last year from the site below and have been pleased with it for the price. I already had vices to use with it. Perhaps a little wobbly, but perfectly adequate

http://www.alpineimports.co.uk/Portable-Tuning-Benc
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The saw horses are I'm sure fine for supporting the skis, if a little low down. You'll need some clamps or vices to go with them to hold it still while you scrape. I just use a workmate, which isn't ideal - it can be a bit fiddly to get them held securely - but good enough given how I don't need to service my skis very often.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@roscoeh,
I've got the same bench as @Tigski, it's a little flimsy but certainly does the job. I have been servicing about once a week for a year now with it and it's still going strong[ish].
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I just use my normal workbench, and rest the skis on a couple of slabs of concrete so that the bindings are out of the way and all works fine. No need for fancy clamps et al! Zip ties for brakes works well. Lean on them as you scrape to hold them in place and don't worry about the topsheets, skis are tools not jewels!!! Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've always used a key board stand. Not saying its perfect but it works.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Doesn't everyone have a workmate stashed away somewhere?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Simple solutions: details posted in this thread earlier http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=6931#2847509
Quote:

but if it's any help for others planning a DIY bench (helps if you're handy with a router) : I've recently knocked up this for less than a fiver and wish I done it years ago : works a treat snowHead

snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use a workmate with a spare floorboard clamped to the top to make it wider, which has the ski clamp positions marked for different skis. It's only a cheap one, so I have to put my foot on the bar to weigh it down. I should probably dig out some sandbags really, it would be less awkward.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

Cant recommend a cheap option - I've been working off a work bench for years but now I'm waxing 2 pairs of skis at least twice weekly invested on one of these bad boys. Folds up and is supposedly portable (at 30KG ish maybe not that portable!) but its super sturdy, dousing budge an inch and the ski rack is super handy - it makes waxing such a joy! (well the wine makes it a joy!)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

This is the last gen model table, but you get the idea Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@PaulC1984, that second one's just a fancier version of my workmate with a floorboard clamped on! And you wouldn't want to spoil it by writing "Directors" on the arm in biro!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Scarlet, haha, yeh but I'm a boy and i like gadgets - and did you notice, its my colour Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+1 for a work bench. I've 3d printed some jigs to help hold ski's in place.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2943717&highlight=print#2943717

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2542001&highlight=black+decker#2542001
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the replies, it makes sense to start servicing myself, or at least being able to wax.

We ski in Scotland a fair bit every 2-3 trips your bases takes a bit of a hammering so to be able to do a quick wax will be ideal.
snow report
It's possible wax with almost anything. I started with a couple of beer crates and an old sheet to stop the ski skitting around too much. But it's easier and more pleasant with a bench and clamps. I use an old garage workbench and these https://goo.gl/images/ko4mWl
latest report
Anyone use these? They do look nice and light for travelling, no middle clamp though to secure the skis:

http://www.ekosport.co.uk/swix-etau-helium-16-p-1-10807.html
snow conditions
I am thinking this could work pretty well for waxing even if not good for sharpening. Could also be generally useful for DIY jobs around the house.
https://www.buyaparcel.com/p/workmates-stands-and-trestles/arrows-telescopic-workbench-workmate-with-mitre-saw-attachment/
snow report
@Kamikaze Pete, I think mine was £8. The floorboard was spare, so that was free Very Happy
ski holidays
@Scarlet, I am clearly being too much of a boy liking shiny things - will be taking lessons in doing these things for sensible prices I think, I understand people in Yorkshire are meant to be good at that Smile

Probably better to spend a little less and at some stage in the next couple of years go and see Jon with my pennies for lessons and kit.
latest report
@balernoStu,
I wouldn't call £82 "cheap" for a 2 vice set even if they are "light". These Ski Man quick vices work well and you can get them for £50 weighing in about 700g. They are sometimes supplied with a hook to clamp in the middle and tie the bindings to. I don't have any problems doing my daughter's 120's on them without a hook. Bigger skis are a bit more difficult but never a real problem. I was considering buying the central vice for them as Terry Bartlett kindly said he would supply one, but have decided I don't really need it.
ski holidays
@spyderjon has a reasonably priced set of three vices, including a binding insert for the central vice here: http://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/vices-benches-retainers/kunzmann-profi-3-piece-ski-vice-detail.html

They probably don't count as cheap (for that the workbench everyone already has is hard to beat) but if you're servicing skis regularly and have a solid surface to mount them to I'm sure they are good value.
latest report
It all making me feel a bit inadequate, I have two shutter boards from a builders merchant and a couple of wooden tressles....time to upgrade methinks.
snow conditions
@musher, haha no, my off topic Embarassed The Swix ones were considerably less when I first looked last season, something like £46 + post. Interesting to hear you manage without the centre fix. Is that even sharpening edges?
ski holidays
@balernoStu,
Yes, waxing and edging are OK, no problem at all on shorter skis. You need to be a bit more careful with 190's. The main reason I wanted a centre vice was for doing Mrs M's narrow unstable XC skis, but I got some of these instead. They turn round 90 degrees and work well for snowboards too.

snow report
@Kamikaze Pete, Yep, by the time Jon's finished with you, you won't be short of things to spend your money on! And obviously he will do all he can to help Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@musher, I bought the Ski Mann vice in the end, the version including a clamp, so thanks for the pointer: http://www.alpineimports.co.uk/Ski-Vice-Com

Turns out the seller is based near Hillend so met there for delivery at the weekend Smile
snow report
I cut a bit of hardwood to the same shape as one of my ski boots and screwed a bit of 2x4 to it. This clamps into my ski binding (holds the brake out of the way) and is easy to hold in any vice. Much cheaper than buying special ski clamps.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@edwardsnde, sweet... Cool

Clever and very practical.
ski holidays
@geoffers, also sweet... Cool

Im going to copy your idea. Thanks very much for posting...

Little Angel
latest report
I made my own from off cuts at B&Q.

I had the ability to fasten it to a wall in the garage though, so it's mega stable. It also doubles as a general dumping ground for mountain bike lights & chargers, inner tubes, stuff I'm not sure where to put yet etc
snow report
edwardsnde wrote:
I cut a bit of hardwood to the same shape as one of my ski boots and screwed a bit of 2x4 to it. This clamps into my ski binding (holds the brake out of the way) and is easy to hold in any vice. Much cheaper than buying special ski clamps.

No good if you have 4 skiers all with different boot sizes to service!

Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
edwardsnde wrote:

No good if you have 4 skiers all with different boot sizes to service!

Laughing Laughing
I'll see your four and raise it to six!
latest report
For waxing only, I've always thought that a decent keyboard stand might work - about £20 from ebay!

snow report
I use two large heavy pavement edging slabs that sit on my normal workbench and overhang enough to clamp the boot in and heavy enough that they don't move at all! Only for waxing though, never bothered with edges!
latest report
This is the one I knocked up

A few bits of 3" by 2" I made into two rectangles and screwed to the wall and a spare bit of kitchen worktop they cut down for me at B&Q. Cost under £15 all in I think.

The vices were a bit dearer though.
snow report
I just drilled and bolted two Lidl suction cup vices onto my workbench for edge tuning, for waxing I use two sections of tree trunks that I chop firewood on. Very stable and a good firm surface for scraping.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy