Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan 2016 / 17

Poster: A snowHead
@nickH, There seemed to be a lot of ATMs out there that don't take foreign cards, the 7/11 ones do though and are not hard to find. Agree with @sugarmoma666, they don't seem to impose a charge. I also use the Clarity card. Sometimes forget to pay off before the interest is charged, but it only amounts to around 1% per month so not huge.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great, @musehead, thanks for the confirmation
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nickH wrote:
Quick Japanese related question. I'm thinking I should sort out my yen soon -does anyone know if the ATM's out there impose local charges for withdrawals from currency cards ?

Foreign accepting ATMs are getting far more popular now.
The ATMs are charging 500yen per transactino now, and new this year they seem to have either a 50,000 yen or 30,000yen limit just to make things painful.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Interesting, thanks for that @anythings,
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The first November snowfall in 54 years has occurred in Tokyo:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-38088036
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hopefully that is a sign of the start of a spectacular year. My first visit to Hokkaido last season was brilliant, yet that was deemed to be a poor year for snow Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
First of the face shot videos i've seen in Niseko this year. Here's to plenty of these for everyone venturing out this season! https://vimeo.com/193008130/comments
*edit - dunno why that didnt work, but the link works.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Glen Claydon of 360Niseko getting it done

360niseko First Tracks in Grand Hirafu Niseko, 25 November 2016 from 360niseko
http://vimeo.com/193008130
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ah, the true start to the JapPow season,@Mike Pow, posting a face shot video clip Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PowderAdict wrote:
Ah, the true start to the JapPow season,@Mike Pow, posting a face shot video clip Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Ha ha.

Not me.

Yet Wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
May it keep puking (as the Aussies say) till April! 2 and a bit months to go for me
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In green and with the funny hat = "Anythings" Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anyone have experience with hiring a car in Japan?

I've ended up booking 11 days hire through the Japanese version of Tabirai with the help of Google Translate, which was quite a bit cheaper than their English website. The rental is with Budget and includes a ski rack and 4WD, but no excess waiver (have my own insurance for this). Came to 45,800 Yen.

I've found the Japanese and English versions of most websites to offer very different prices, and often totally different cars and packages.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@musehead, have you got a link please....that is mega cheap!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looking to hire a car too, any links or help would be appreciated.
ski holidays
https://www.jrh-rentacar.com/

https://www.ekiren.co.jp/
ski holidays
musehead wrote:
... I've found the Japanese and English versions of most websites to offer very different prices, and often totally different cars and packages.

I often find the UK sites are more expensive for many things.

That said, you need to be careful (generally, not specifically Japan) as what they actually sell you may be different.
So watch for extras like "excess insurance" which can be more expensive than the rental itself (but which you probably don't need, although they will try to sell you those things via fear at the pickup).
snow report
@sparkzter, If you locate where you are going it could be easier.

Some info here:
http://forums.ski.com.au/xf/threads/japan-trains-buses-internal-flights-car-hire-discounts.63893/
snow conditions
@Hyst, Thanks for the links.

@rungsp, The Japanese page on Tabirai for searching at Chitose Airport is:

http://car.hokkaidotour.net/sapporo/chitose_air/?utm_source=tabirairc_area&utm_medium=pc&utm_campaign=tabirairc

Using Google Chrome you can right click and translate the page, it's pretty simple to work it all out.

I just did a re-run of my search (15th - 26th Jan), small car, and prices start at 41,500 Yen for a 4WD with Orix/Honda. Lots of different plans available. Hardly any of it is available through the English car hire search on the same website.
snow report
The last 2 weeks of januari first Niseko than Furano
snow report
john hoeben wrote:
The last 2 weeks of januari first Niseko than Furano

you should update the snowbuddy post and then say hi once you're in town ;p
ski holidays
Hyst wrote:

my hat isnt funny, its very practical snowHead
ski holidays
anythings wrote:
Hyst wrote:

my hat isnt funny, its very practical snowHead

Hope your beer is waiting. Opening tomorrow I think. snowHead
latest report
Niseko coming along nicely:
Niseko Village Slo-Mo!! from 360niseko
https://vimeo.com/195129563

Kiroro seems to be getting even more. Very Happy
ski holidays
Niseko coming along nicely:
Niseko Village Slo-Mo!! from 360niseko
https://vimeo.com/195129563

Kiroro seems to be getting even more. Very Happy
latest report
Can't wait, less than 2 months now Smile
snow report
Next tuesday! Very Happy
For some reason "lake affect" has sneeked into almost daily conversation!
snow report
ADESki wrote:
Next tuesday! Very Happy
For some reason "lake affect" has sneeked into almost daily conversation!

Nice! I hope you have a fab time, look forward to your trip report and any photos you care to share
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ADESki, Where are you going? There looks to be a warmish spell between around 18th-22nd.
snow report
I believe from his previous posts he is going to Niseko and the forecast for tomorrow at least is a nice huge dump

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Niseko/6day/mid

I'm sure conditions will be great and hope he has a fabulous time
ski holidays
@Minion1980,
Thanks for that.

@musehead,
Fly to Tokyo for a couple of days catching up with family then off to Niseko on the 25th so at least im guaranteed a white Christmas. Que the Bing!
snow conditions
@ADESki, Sounds like perfect timing, ensembles suggesting true winter conditions setting up from about the 25th. Enjoy!
latest report
There's a monster low pressure system crossing Japan over the next few days, dragging up lots of warm air from the South.

Heavy rain likely right up to the top in Niseko etc, although only for half a day.

Cold looks set to resume from the 23rd-24th and hopefully will stick around.

Temperatures at ~1500m:

snow report
Fairly normal occurance to have a few warm blips during the early season.

They don't normally last long, don't wash away too much snowpack, and are usually followed by big dumps.

Hokkaido has been skiing very well for the first month of operation

All from Glen at 360Niseko
http://360niseko.com/category/daily-snow-reports/

Kiroro Resort
17 December 2016

Kiroro Chowder, 16 December 2016 from Glen Claydon Photography
https://vimeo.com/196023218

Niseko Village
17 December 2016

Superstition - Niseko Village, 17 December 2016 from 360niseko
https://vimeo.com/196113793
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, lovely pictures Mike, will check the videos when I'm at home.

Will you be based in Kiroro again this season? Also it is easy to do a day trip using public transport from Niseko to Kiroro and would week days be better than weekends?

Thanks
snow conditions
Minion1980 wrote:
@Mike Pow, lovely pictures Mike, will check the videos when I'm at home.

Will you be based in Kiroro again this season? Also it is easy to do a day trip using public transport from Niseko to Kiroro and would week days be better than weekends?

Thanks

My pleasure.

Split between Niseko Hirafu and Kiroro sleepingwise. Wherever the snow is good playingwise Smile

My visa application has gone missing in the system. Should have been out there already Sad

Daily bus from Niseko Hirafu to Kiroro. Mid-week is always less crowded.
latest report
@Mike Pow, thanks for the info Mike, I hope your visa issue is sorted soon. I'll be in Hirafu in 44.5 days, not that I'm counting.
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, Thanks, I'm not worried - 25 days yet until I arrive Very Happy Hope you get your Visa sorted!

@Minion1980, I took the daily bus that Mike mentioned for a day trip to Kiroro last season, it was easy to sort out, leaving from the Hirafu Welcome Centre. It left quite early so I had to get a taxi from my accomodation as it was before the resort shuttle buses started running. Arrived at Kiroro in time for first lift which was great.

Interestingly the GFS has consistently suggested over the last few runs that the warm air will struggle to reach Central/Eastern Hokkaido, so places like Sahoro and Asahidake could be in line for a huge dump from the low pressure system as it passes. Eg as shown here (cross hairs centred on Asahidake) -

snow report
@musehead, thanks Musehead, I'm fairly central I think (just down from the seicomart) so I should hopefully be able to walk it if it's that early, or bug my accomodation peeps for a ride!
ski holidays
Followed the progress of the low pressure over Hokkaido online with interest yesterday. It panned out pretty much as shown in the maps above - although the warmer air didn't make it quite as far N as suggested. Sounds like Niseko was a bit of a washout and had heavy rain all night up to at least 800m, but nearby Kiroro and Teine were reporting 20cm and 40cm at base respectively and had little rain (The base of Kiroro is a few hundred metres higher than Niseko but Teine is a similar altitude). There's been 15cm at Kutchan near Niseko up until now since it turned back to snow again.

Sapporo city at just above sea level did not seem to turn to rain, or perhaps briefly, and the depth increased from 36cm to 95cm right now - amazing! Can't imagine how they cope with it all. Chitose also had snowfall while staying largely out of the >0C air and flights were cancelled.

Furano town reporting an increase from 23cm to 60cm snow right now and never got above 0C - but had very strong winds. The area around Tomamu/Sahoro seems to have been hammered too, all these areas could be epic tomorrow when the weather clears.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy