Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan 2016 / 17

Poster: A snowHead
Niseko was my least favourite resort (by a long stretch) of a 2 week tour of loads of Hokkaido resorts (including Furano, Sappora and Otaru areas).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dashed, Sad I hope it isn't as bad as it's reputation, it seems to get a load of hate on the Ski Aus forums too, I chose it as it seemed a good base for a first timer who doesn't drive as I can also visit Kiroro and Rusutsu via bus trips and have a nice base. What is it that gets it such a bad rep now? Overdevelopment? Crowds? Expense?

I've been in France during the major two week school holidays (when 2 areas are on holiday at the same time including Paris) are the crowds as bad as you can get in some of the mega French resorts?

Be really keen to get some opinions, cheers!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Minion1980, I also went on a 2 week tour of Hokkaido last season, and I only stayed in Niseko for 4 nights, and we only skied their once, as we went to Kiroro twice and Rusustu once, as the snow was better. Niseko is the most European resort in Japan and you will find English is freely spoken. I suspect the main issue is that the place is full of powder skiers waiting for a big storm, so it is a bit like Whistler where after a big dump of snow, the locals for miles around track everything by lunchtime.

The time to have gone there was 20 years ago when it was unknown. This is the position that most of the small resorts are in now, where you only see a queue first thing in the morning waiting for the lifts to open.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kimchijajonshim wrote:
Honestly, I know nothing about Japanese snowboarding scene, I just know Niseko is a legendary destination spot. If there are more accessible areas that are 85% as good and far less hassle, I'm game. Just want to try out this allegedly epic Japanese pow.

Try to have a look around:

http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-resorts/prefecture/gunma
http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-resorts/prefecture/niigata
http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-resorts/prefecture/nagano

Look on the maps furthes down.

If you are in Tokyo Shinkansen and fast train go towords this directions
If you go week-end be careful of the Tokyo week-end ques some places. wink

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 24-01-17 15:04; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@minion - I think it was because we'd come from the relatively Japanese feeling resorts like Kirroro and Furano where prices were reasonable, lifts very quiet, plenty of fresh tracks, onsens after skiing, to a much more westernised, expensive, busy place like Niseko.

If we'd done it the other way around then I suspect we may have thought differently. However, my limited experience was that fresh tracks were much harder to come by in Niseko. However, we'd done a lot of backcountry and touring with guides on our trip, so quite different to the lift accessed, no guiding day we had at Niseko!

The crowds weren't too bad in Niseko compared to peak weeks in the alps, very little queuing for lifts etc, it just has a very different feel to some of the less westernised resorts.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@kimchijajonshim, I thought as you do when I went earlier this year. I was a bit intimidated by the prospect of trying to figure out transport, ski hire etc in a country that's notorious for lack of English speakers. so my first stop was Nesiko. Then moved on to other lessor known mountains

The reality I found, all the the other resorts mentioned here have enough English speaking people that you can get going just fine. Young Japanese do speak English, albeit with siginifcant accent. Staffs in most other "lessor knonwn" resorts learned to manage without speaking (a lot of hand guestures, pictures, maps etc)

The advantage of the "other" resorts are far fewer crowds, better snow quality. Not that Nesiko is "bad" (any skiing is good, right?). It's just the others are BETTER.

I will not bother with Nesiko again, at least not during peak season.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the advice all, quite a relief knowing I won't have to squeeze in 2 hour flight + 2 hour bus rides. I'll be there in late March (probably 24-25) if that makes any difference.

Do I gain anything flying to Hokkaido versus staying on Honshu? I want epic turns, good snow, and relatively easy access from Tokyo, I'll deal with language barriers and whatnot. Do I deal with larger crowds or flatter terrain if I stay on Honshu?

What's the guide scene like out here?

clarky999 wrote:
kimchijajonshim wrote:
Honestly, I know nothing about Japanese snowboarding scene, I just know Niseko is a legendary destination spot. If there are more accessible areas that are 85% as good and far less hassle, I'm game. Just want to try out this allegedly epic Japanese pow.

Forget 85% as good, many options are BETTER than Niseko in my experience - Niseko got too famous, and so too tracked too quickly. Sapporo Teine is the money shot for steep(er) powder on Hokkaido.

I don't know Honshu at all, but the media coming from various pros in places like Myoko and Hakkuba looks just as epic too!

You got my attention with bold. The reputation I've heard from friends about Japan is the snow is amazing, the terrain is ok. Steeper the better.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hyst wrote:
kimchijajonshim wrote:

Try to have a look around:

http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-resorts/prefecture/gunma
http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-resorts/prefecture/niigata
http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-resorts/prefecture/nagano

Look on the maps furthes down.

If you are in Tokyo Shinkansen and fast train go towords this directions
If you go week-end be careful of the Tokyo week-end ques some places. wink

This is amazing. Thanks!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kimchijajonshim wrote:

clarky999 wrote:
kimchijajonshim wrote:

Forget 85% as good, many options are BETTER than Niseko in my experience - Niseko got too famous, and so too tracked too quickly. Sapporo Teine is the money shot for steep(er) powder on Hokkaido.

I don't know Honshu at all, but the media coming from various pros in places like Myoko and Hakkuba looks just as epic too!

You got my attention with bold. The reputation I've heard from friends about Japan is the snow is amazing, the terrain is ok. Steeper the better.

It's all relative, and still not the Alps, but this photo by Snowhead MagSeven shows the best of Teine - everything under the spiky towers is accessed by a short skate/traverse along the ridge from the top lift:

In terms of Honshu, my understanding is that it's ususally steeper than Hokkaido, but less snow. I think this is all backcountry (as in earn your turns) terrain, but definitely drool worthy(!): http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/277093-Japanese-Terrain-Photos

Late March is late for real cold smoke JaPOW though.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@PowderAdict, @Dashed, thanks for your comments, I fell better now. I was getting worried for a bit, I can deal with queues and not having fresh pow all day every day and I'll be sure to make as many trips to Kiroro/Rusutsu/Moiwa as necessary.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kimchijajonshim wrote:

The snowboarders on my trip were drooling over the legendary Gentem Stick boards, which are based and built in Niseko - http://www.gentemstick.com/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999 wrote:

Late March is late for real cold smoke JaPOW though.

You think it's worth it? Can't move up the trip and I will be on-snow plenty outside of that (Tahoe has gotten dumped on and should be good into May, plus I have a trip to the Alps and perhaps Whistler planned). Work will be sending to Japan 2-3 time a year, so I can perhaps schedule a trip for next January and explore Tokyo instead.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rungsp wrote:
@Mike Pow, it was epic....

A friend of The Lad is a season worker in Kiroro and said it was the best day so far.

Mike....where is your traditional Face-Shot video clip?
We had many, but this mini computer does not have the power to take them off the camera and upload.

In my life my two best ski days ever have been in Kiroro, and I've only ever had three days there.
Both have been with The Lad...even more special.

Sapporo Kokusai tomorrow.

This was from last January.

The past two days have been better. The best snow I've skied on Hokkaido

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPn2JE_A-eA/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking at snow report ..does it ever snow on Furano area ??
6 days to go starts really to be a concern Sad ..
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@toro, it certainly snows less in that area compared to areas closer to the sea. Furano looks like getting loads of snow over the next week though, I wouldn't worry!
snow conditions
Today in Furano

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPrFIRph-iz/
ski holidays
Kiroro was once again...epic.

@Mike Pow, for you to say this has been your best ever Hokkaido powder is amazing....anybody who has followed the Japan threads in the last few years knows you have had many, many fantastic days....boy-oh-boy we have been lucky Very Happy
snow conditions

@Mike Pow, for you to say this has been your best ever Hokkaido powder is amazing....anybody who has followed the Japan threads in the last few years knows you have had many, many fantastic days....boy-oh-boy we have been lucky Very Happy
ski holidays
Im home now and thought I would throw in my experience of a first trip to hokkaido. More or less everything I had gleaned from reading this forum was bang on - what a resource! Thanks for all the info. We were a very mixed ability group, and spent 11 nights in Niseko and 3 in Sapporo. We skied mostly in Niseko, with one day in Kiroro. We didnt ski while in Sapporo as we missed the only snowy day due to bus transfer. We had 2 days of deep, epic blower type snow, and every other day we had at least some soft snow, varying from 2-3 inches of ultralight powder in sunshine, to quite firm but still pleasant windblown stuff. All the locals were continuously telling us how awful it was, but I still had the two best ski days of my life, and skied more nice snow than in just about all my previous trips combined. As others have said, Niseko is not the best place to ski powder as it gets tracked out so quickly. There are also weird earlybird things on a couple of lifts, so even if you are at the front of the queue for opening time the slopes are already trashed by the time you get there. We got stung by this on the Ace quad lift one powder morning. We also missed another powder morning as the Hanazono bus went past us full and we had to join a massive queue at the gondola. Despite this, we did manage to find quite a lot of powder, but you really only get an hour or two at best within easy reach of the lifts. Kiroro was deserted by comparison. If youre in Niseko and the forecast suggests powder, either get the Kiroro/Rusutsu bus, book a guide, or make it to the gates before they open. They open at different times, so knowing these can help you score some fresh tracks.
Niseko hirafu doesnt feel very Japanese, but we stayed 4 nights just out of town in a japanese run pension called Ramina, and it suddenly felt like we were in Japan. Couldnt recommend it highly enough. Likewise, Sapporo was a real culture shock in the best possible way, and I really wish we had time to see Tokyo. The stereotypes about Japanese people being ultra polite and friendly were true without exception in our experience. We were chased down the road by a very apologetic waitress in Sapporo - it turned out we had overpaid by 1 yen and she brought it to us outside in the snow! To sum my ramblings up - go to Japan!
ski holidays
+1 - go to Japan
Laughing
snow conditions
kimchijajonshim wrote:
Can i reasonably hit Niseko trip Tokyo in a weekend?

Work is sending me to Tokyo for a couple weeks. I will quite new on the job (only my first month when I visit) so I'm trying to avoid taking PTO. I'm wondering if I could reasonably fly Tokyo to Sapporo Friday evening, hit Niseko Saturday and Sunday, jump on 7-ish PM flight to Sapporo and be back in the office Monday morning.

It'll be a rush, but I think it'd be do-able. My biggest concern is timing getting to and from Niseko from Sapporo airport. My flight into Sapporo would land around 9 PM, and my flight out would be around 7:30 PM.

It's doable, but a bit of a schlep.

Taking the train direct from Tokyo to one of the local resorts, like Snow Town or Minakami, is much easier. But snow is less good, of course.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 25-01-17 14:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@element, excellent review thanks for posting, glad you had a great time.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
kimchijajonshim wrote:
Can i reasonably hit Niseko trip Tokyo in a weekend?

Work is sending me to Tokyo for a couple weeks. I will quite new on the job (only my first month when I visit) so I'm trying to avoid taking PTO. I'm wondering if I could reasonably fly Tokyo to Sapporo Friday evening, hit Niseko Saturday and Sunday, jump on 7-ish PM flight to Sapporo and be back in the office Monday morning.

It'll be a rush, but I think it'd be do-able. My biggest concern is timing getting to and from Niseko from Sapporo airport. My flight into Sapporo would land around 9 PM, and my flight out would be around 7:30 PM.

It's doable, but a bit of a schlep.

Taking the train direct from Tokyo to one of the local resorts, like Snow Town or Minakami, is much easier. But snow is less good, of course.

I've settled on doing Hakuba. 4 hour train ride, cheaper, less developed. Sounds like maybe a bit more technical but snow isn't quite as good, but still pretty damned good.
snow report
Have a look at Nozawaonsen. Madeye-Smiley

http://www.nozawaski.com/en/

http://nozawakanko.jp/english/

http://www.tanukinozawa.com (a Japanese style accommodation in good location) but there are many others.

http://azegamikan.net/ (only Japanese - very happy owner)

A very nice Japanese village.

Manly for the "Japanese" style experience.

For me it is not only about the skiing. Blush
snow report
Sapporo Kokusai today.

Overnight there had been about 20-30cms of the LIGHTEST powder I have ever seen.
It was like goose down.

In fact so light that if offered almost no resistance so if you skied in it there was no feedback at all...no chance of getting a faceshot as it just brushed away and built no pressure against skis/boots/legs to rise up like a wave.

Quite bizarre actually.

The day warmed up quite a lot and it consolidated just enough to become "ordinary" powder.

Now I have a meteorological question:

How can it be bright sunshine, not a cloud in the sky....yet continuously snowing?
We had just such weather today for several hours, and have had it a few times this trip.

Last ski day tomorrow...Teine Highlands
snow report
rungsp wrote:

We've all been very lucky Smile

Great to read that others enjoyed the epic conditions.
snow conditions
OK, slowly catching up with pics and vids

16 JANUARY 2017
Annie (@annie_wikman) from Queensland, Australia enjoying the return of the powder
Kiroro Resort, Hokkaido

ski holidays
19 JANUARY 2017

ALL ABOARD THE POWDER EXPRESS
Hayden (@hayden_lovelock) from New South Wales, Australia showing this Old South Wales skier how it's done 👍
Kiroro Resort, Hokkaido

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
19 JANUARY 2017

THE TRAIN HAS LEFT THE STATION
Hayden (@hayden_lovelock) from New South Wales, Australia showing this Old South Wales skier how it's done 👍
Kiroro Resort, Hokkaido

snow conditions
Great pics!

I was gutted to be struck down by a particularly nasty cold after the weekebd and missed out on a day of the epic conditions recently (Tues) - and probably didn't enjoy our last ski day on Wednesday as much as I might have done at 100% fitness! Amazing snow and weather at Kokusai on Wed though.

Going to Nozawa Onsen Mon-Fri so will be interesting to compare. Looks like our arrival on Sun will be greeted by a warm storm and rain Shocked but getting colder and turning to snow daytime Monday.

It's a warm 15C in Tokyo today!
latest report
musehead wrote:
Great pics!

I was gutted to be struck down by a particularly nasty cold after the weekebd and missed out on a day of the epic conditions recently (Tues) - and probably didn't enjoy our last ski day on Wednesday as much as I might have done at 100% fitness! Amazing snow and weather at Kokusai on Wed though.

Going to Nozawa Onsen Mon-Fri so will be interesting to compare. Looks like our arrival on Sun will be greeted by a warm storm and rain Shocked but getting colder and turning to snow daytime Monday.

It's a warm 15C in Tokyo today!

Thanks Smile

That's a bummer.

Very interested to hear how Nozawa is. Contemplating heading down next week.

Dumping all day in Niseko Hirafu. Top lifts on windhold Sad
latest report
A strange last day for us...at this time of year one would expect the weather to be very snowy, and VERY cold.

Woke up in snow-and-ice bound Sapporo to find in warm and tipping down with rain.

Oh my God the underfoot and underwheel conditions (already terrible) are going to be a nightmare when all that re-freezes.

We went to Teine and were very impressed with the extensive terrain, and its variety.
All the powder seekers dismiss the Olympia lower half, but if you are a piste fan it would be outstanding.
The Highlands zone would be fantastic in normal, cold, snow conditions.

Sadly for us it was chucking it down with claggy wet snow that immediately melted on your clothing and coated goggles....frankly it was miserable to ski in, and grotty to ski on as it was thick soupy and heavy.
We left early, got a train to New Chitose Airport and are waiting for a flight to Tokyo...one day there then home.

What a trip!

I totally, utterly recommend a ski trip to Japan.
ski holidays
Powder was turning to Corn today

Snowing again now.

Earned some of the turns Wink

snow report
MONDAY 23 JANUARY 2017

THE STORM - DAY 1
After a slow start to the 2016/17 winter season - by Hokkaido standards at least - a storm cycle started to move in across Otaru Bay on Thursday 19 January hitting the resorts close to Otaru and Sapporo hard
By the morning of Monday 23rd January over 60cm had fallen at the base with significantly more above mid-mountain
The snow was accompanied by temperatures between -10 & -20 Celcius offering up the deepest & driest powder I've skied on Hokkaido
Longtime student & ski partner Ian MacKenzie
Kiroro Resort, Hokkaido, Japan
23 January 2017

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPyUIzJgs2H/?taken-by=mikethesnow

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 29-01-17 21:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Very Happy
snow report
A couple of inches of nice dust over heavier base, it's nice to ski and it hides all the Sassa/trees/bushes/rocks

snow conditions
MONDAY 23 JANUARY 2017

THE STORM - DAY 1
After a slow start to the 2016/17 winter season - by Hokkaido standards at least - a storm cycle started to move in across Otaru Bay on Thursday 19 January hitting the resorts close to Otaru and Sapporo hard
By the morning of Monday 23rd January over 60cm had fallen at the base with significantly more above mid-mountain
The snow was accompanied by temperatures between -10 & -20 Celcius offering up the deepest & driest powder I've skied on Hokkaido
Yours truly (@mikethesnow) up to my gills
Kiroro Resort, Hokkaido, Japan
23 January 2017

https://www.instagram.com/p/BP2N4MHgYiy/?taken-by=mikethesnow

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 29-01-17 21:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
If anyone in central Hokkaido, Asahidake,and Furano area please latest report .. snowHead
snow conditions
Mike Pow wrote:
MONDAY 23 JANUARY 2017

Yours truly

Faceshot fantastico ❄️❄️❄️
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
MONDAY 23 JANUARY 2017

Yours truly

Faceshot fantastico ❄️❄️❄️

It was @BobinCH Smile

And it kept getting better as the storm progressed.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy