Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Go Pro mount

Poster: A snowHead
I now have a Hero 5 Black and really looking forward to using it but I'm wondering where would be the best place to have the adhesive mount?

I'm more inclined to have it at the front of the helmet, to avoid the teletubby look!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For helmet, front quarter way up is best. But i think a chest mount is more steady.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mounting towards the front of the helmet is good, but does restrict you for forward shooting a bit, mounting on the top gives you options for front, rear or side shooting. Mounting on the side gives you the option of front/rear but some found this put stress on the neck, though this will be less with the 5 due to its reduced weight.

Don't forget mount on the ski, provides a great alternative viewpoint either in itself or to cut into other footage.

Good choice of camera btw
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks @ansta1, I did consider going for the Hero 4 Black but it was only £50 cheaper.

@Themasterpiece, there seems to be a lot of accessory packs on Amazon with cases and chest mounts, I might get myself one of those.

Also, I've got a 128GB microSD card, so I have more memory than I need!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Also, I've got a 128GB microSD card, so I have more memory than I need!

Get a few 16/32gb cards rather than a single 128gb
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not much more to add to the helmet position query but the chest mount is definitely worth looking into. Helmet mounts provide a smoother picture generally but really work best when filming someone else. Chest mount work well for when skiing you're own lines as the perspective shows a bit more of whats going on, arms come into the picture (and knees if you land something heavily enough Very Happy ) and it picks up a bit more of your body movements. Also easier to deal with the controls and you don't have to worry about knocking the camera off when pulling down chairlift bars.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
el nombre wrote:
you don't have to worry about knocking the camera off when pulling down chairlift bars.

Don't underestimate this phenomenon.

Yes I am taller than the average snowhead but this happens to me way too often.

Although I don't think I will move to a chest mount. I like having my jacket loose and the chest mount tightens it all up.

My favourite position is on the ski itself. It's out of the way, it captures where you're going rather than what you're looking at, and due to being close the ground it makes you look like you're going way faster than the same speed would look from a helmet mount.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
el nombre wrote:
Not much more to add to the helmet position query but the chest mount is definitely worth looking into. Helmet mounts provide a smoother picture generally but really work best when filming someone else. Chest mount work well for when skiing you're own lines as the perspective shows a bit more of whats going on, arms come into the picture (and knees if you land something heavily enough Very Happy ) and it picks up a bit more of your body movements. Also easier to deal with the controls and you don't have to worry about knocking the camera off when pulling down chairlift bars.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you are going off piste, chest mounts are not recommended as the camera will be too close to your transceiver, and it is likely to cause interference.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had a really cheap (but very good) GoPro-like cam for Christmas last year. My jacket has a horizontal zip pocket on the chest, so I cut a stiff bit of card to fit the pocket, and used the bulldog clip attachment to hold it. Worked really well, and was convenient for starting and stopping recordings. I used it without the outer plastic case. Made it much lighter and neater.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@dp, @ansta1, which mount do you have for Ski's? the ones i've seen are too wide to get good contact
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Levi215, just a regular old 'adhesive' mount. Make sure surface is clean, free from and grease and dry. Ideally done in a nice warm room. Apply mount and leave for a day to set properly.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ansta1, ah Smile I'm a renter!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's fine, the adhesive mounts come of quite nicely with a hair drier with not damage to the topsheet in my experience.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bottom of the ski pole mount gives a great perspective too !
ski holidays
Doesn't a camera mounted on a helmet provide a possibly hazardous pressure point if the helmet ifinds itself used as, um, a helmet?
snow report
@achilles, you are probably correct, but there are lot's of factors in this. (I'm going to regret this but hey ho).

Consider the most likely impact points and mounting points.

Mounting points (common)
Front
Side
Rear

Likely impact points
Front
Rear
Side

Note I don't mention top in that list, how many people have really hit their head/helmet right on the top?

So
if you mount on the front, there is a increased risk of injury if you have an impact in that area.

If you mount on the side, there is an increased risk of injury if you have an impact in that area.

Same for rear, but if mounted on the top as this is the least likely impact point, while there is an increased risk, it's probably a very small increased risk.

Impact is only one part of the equation with a helmet mounted cam, there is also increase weight and risk of rotational injury, again the latter of these is less likely with a top mounted camera.

There is also the other argument, that an accident sufficiently violent enough to cause injury with a camera mounted, was probably going to be serious either way.

Obviously evidence for the above statements is limited and will just go in the pot with helmet/no helmet debate.

No doubt someone will post links to MS accident and his helmet camera being part of the issue it was so serious.

For reference, I don't wear a helmet.

Very Happy
snow report
achilles wrote:
Doesn't a camera mounted on a helmet provide a possibly hazardous pressure point if the helmet ifinds itself used as, um, a helmet?

They were banned from World Cup downhill mountain biking for this reason which is partly why companies are beginning to build in break away mounts for them. The ban didn't seem to last all that long though. Come to think of it, quite a lot of riders run with cameras mounted tucked up under the peak. If you happen to have a helmet with a large-ish peak then that would be a way of avoiding (to a certain extent) this potential issue.

http://factoryjackson.com/2015/06/05/making-a-sugru-gopro-mount/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy