Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Rucksack

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I'm in the market for a new ski rucksack this season and hoping for your recommendations.

I don't think exactly what I want exists, but if you know any products that meet most of my criteria please let me know.

Backpack requirements:
Air gap - an actually suspended gap not just ridged backing foam etc (not seen these on a ski pack, as I guess people generally want the weight as close to their back as possible)
Waterproof (I know this is unlikely given the air gap necessity), failing that a high D material
25-35L
ski (A-frame) and pole carry attachments
hydration system compatible

thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have one like this

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Berghaus-Freeflow-III-35-8-With-Ventelation-Back-System-Vgc-/152275086766?hash=item23744d6dae:g:UzQAAOSwLnBX902j

except it is red and is the version II rather than the III.

I am not sure if it specifically has a ski (A frame), but I can put my ski boots inside, strap my skis to the sides, and have a camelback (or generic made in China copy) water bottle slipped inside in specifically made area.

Reason I particularly like this when skiing, is due to the support for your back if you have a fall. I am not sure how strong the plastic is, but it probably would help protect your spine in the case of a crash into some rocks. Plenty of air gap at the back to reduce sweating. There is a secondary waterproof covering which can be whipped out of the bottem and covers the whole backpack. (like a kagool for your backpack)

You are welcome!

ps. I tend to strap the tips of my skis at the top together, otherwise the skis can be a bit unstable when being carried. This might be because of no A frame, or imperfect strapping at the top. This seems to make it much more stable when carrying my skies up a hill.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 16-10-16 18:15; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/mountaineering-backpack-22-id_8360596.html

got one of these and used it last season, was great, loop for ski's on your back while walking, hydro compatible, and lots of space inside also, and its a bargain too!

no air gap so to speak, but was never an issue for me
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks for the recommendations. unfortunately none of them tick quire enough boxes. anyone else?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@2003cjh, I have a Dakine arc that i could sell, it covers most of your requirements, except the airgap

like this except in pacific blue

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/dakine-arc-34l-backpack
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@2003cjh, I've got a really cool Ortovox Freeride sack excellent condition, black. Ticks all your boxes apart from suspended gap. I'd suggest you rethink this - you really don't want it flapping about when skiing. Think its 24L, would let go if price agreeable. Let me know if you want photos, used 2 days total I think!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@2003cjh,

your problem, as you suggest, is that ski (and climbing) packs don't have air gaps because they prioritise stability over ventilation. If you must have the air gap then you probably need to look at fairly full-featured trekking packs. I'm not an expert on these - I tend to buy ski and climbing packs and live with the ventilation issues in the summer - but Osprey packs generally have enough strapping to give you A frame ski carry options. On waterproofing, true waterproof packs tend to have rather minimalist strapping (as all the attachment stitching is a potential leak point) - likely to be an issue for ski carry. You can off course get really good, light, roll-top dry bags for little money these days - just use those as liners.
Sorry - not all that helpful.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy