Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warmest Down Jacket

Poster: A snowHead
Don't actually want this for skiing, but possibly apres. Real need is standing still for elongated periods watching my son play footy in baltic conditions, generally straight after work...

Have a decent puffa (Mountain Equipment Lightline) which is 675 fill down...but I'm still feeling the cold doing the above even now...was looking at a heftier puffa (ME Annapura) or a parka like the TNF McMurdo....anyone who really feels the cold got any experience with what to buy...?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Had a Mountain Hardware down puffa for years, really happy with it. Not sure the rating but they are a good brand and there is a sale on SportsPursuit this week.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I bought Norrona Trollveggen 750 jacket last year, and it is the warmest thing I've ever worn. I've gone out in sub zero temperatures with just a long t-shirt underneath.

It doesn't appear on their website at the moment. Not sure if it just hasn't been added yet, or it has been dropped for this season.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 15-10-16 20:56; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
...this is not for skiing....this is for standing around in the cold. Have looked at Canada Goose but they are ridiculous money...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PowderAdict wrote:
I bought Norrona Trollveggen 750 jacket last year, and it is the warmest thing I've ever worn. I've gone at in sub zero temperatures with just a long t-shirt underneath.

It doesn't appear on their website at the moment. Nor sure if it just hasn't been added yet, or it has been dropped for this season.

Yes! I have the exact same Norrona jacket, and I can honestly say, that it is one of the best purchases I have ever made. Wandering around St. Anton at night last year was a total pleasure, and I too was just in a long t-shirt underneath. Even at the top of the mountain in St. Anton at night — watching my friend take the toboggan down — I was cosy.

And note how the whole jacket scrunches-up really small (into it's own interior pocket) for easy transport.

I had spent too many years just feeling cold no matter what I wore; and I eventually swore to find the warmest puffa jacket I could find, and that was it. And once you pull the insulated hood up and zip yourself in fully, you are super-toasty. I would say the hood is 50% of what makes it so warm.

The only step beyond that is what are called "expedition jackets". These are not only very warm, but are also very rain, wind and storm proof. But they are very heavy and expensive.

I didn't think it was possible to get so excited about an item of clothing — but it is Very Happy

But alas, indeed it is no longer on their website; and best one they have now is only half the weight and half the amount of down. Still, I'm sure it possible to find a similar jacket from other manufactures. FYI the Norrona Trollveggen 750 jacket I have in medium weighs 1096g and contains 340g of 750 down.

The 750 is the "fill power" which is a measure of the loft or "fluffiness" of a down product that is loosely related to the insulating value of the down. 750 is very good.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Belch, And it's far too hot for skiing!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fjällräven is popular in Sweden, and it gets a bit chilly here.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Themasterpiece wrote:
Fjällräven is popular in Sweden, and it gets a bit chilly here.

WOW! Great tip. Thanks. snowHead

This one looks amazing — nearly twice the total weight and twice the down filling weight of the Norrona Trollveggen 750 I have:

http://www.fjallraven.co.uk/expedition-down-jacket

And remember, when the brand-name sounds Swedish, Finnish or Norwegian, then you will automatically feel warmer just from the placebo effect alone. snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
you could always get

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-himalayan-suit-2?variationId=56P&rrec=true&cm_vc=Certona
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
you could always get

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-himalayan-suit-2?variationId=56P&rrec=true&cm_vc=Certona

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@GlasgowCyclops, Looks like a cross between Ali-G and the abodamable snowman!

Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Belch wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
you could always get

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Glad you liked it. Happy

Like a lot of things you need to look beyond the tech spec.

EG down fill in pockets that are restricted to one layer means gaps that heat can escape, so dual layer asymmetric may be better.

However, one thing to consider is a multilayer system.

Merino base layer.
TNF bobble mid layer.
padded or windbreak outer layer plus padded.

none of them up to 750 but together giving a total warmth.

I have for cold skiing a mix of merino base layer. then
a TNF thermobobble
https://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/the-north-face-mens-thermoball-hoodie/205571

then a down outer
https://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/the-north-face-mens-quince-pro-hooded-jacket/201104
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
. . Don't want / need to layer - this is for lobbing in the boot and wrapping up without technical layers.

For skiing I run hot, so merino base and softshells/neoshell (with primaloft vest for superfreezing cold) are more than enough to keep me regulated. Standing still for an hour and a half is a different issue, my middle aged self seems to be feeling the cold more than ever before (footy training pitch is unprotected and an easterly wind can drop the temps significantly with nowhere to hide) . . .existing ME Lightline 675 fill is perfect for ski resort with a thin fleece, but I'm normally walking to and from pub with this attire . . . Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have an old RAB duvet jacket, worn it in -29C and felt toasty.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Belch wrote:
. . Don't want / need to layer - this is for lobbing in the boot and wrapping up without technical layers.

Yep! That's the idea. There is just such a pleasure in having a big, warm puffa jacket you can just pop on over a t-shirt and then be toasty warm in -15.

That said, you have to be prepared to exchange style for comfort. Laughing
snow report
@Scarpa +1

My RAB is 20 years old this spring just gone, and too warm to wear doing any sort of activity more than raising a pint glass.

They used to do trousers as well, maybe too much.
ski holidays
@Belch, if your Mountain Equipment Lightline isn't warm enough it is too cold for football!
latest report
Then for value and max down fill go to

http://featheredfriends.com
snow conditions
@Belch,

Are you inclined to simply wear a shirt and then put the jacket on, or would you typically have some bulk on underneath......? Close fitting thermal underwear goes a long, long way as a first layer....................

I know you're in England and you should stick to British product a multitude of which being exceptional, but this is one product that has a many years reputation of exceptional warmth combined with the company (LL BEAN) whose no questions asked no matter what amount of time OR condition full refund policy IS their hallmark. Just a thought....................

http://www.llbean.com/llb/search/?freeText=baxter+state+parka&init=1&sort_field=Relevance&thumbType=0&gnattr=-1
snow report
arcsinice wrote:

I know you're in England and you should stick to British product a multitude of which being exceptional, but this is one product that has a many years reputation of exceptional warmth combined with the company (LL BEAN) whose no questions asked no matter what amount of time OR condition full refund policy IS their hallmark. Just a thought....................

http://www.llbean.com/llb/search/?freeText=baxter+state+parka&init=1&sort_field=Relevance&thumbType=0&gnattr=-1

I have used (and currently wear) LL Bean gear, which I find excellent.

I also have first hand experience of their refund policy.....when I purchased some of their Ski Pants, I ended up falling, causing the ski edge to cut through the reinforced patch over the ankle. I rang up, really to see if they could be fixed. When asked if I was satisfied with the design of the product, I said that I was disappointed that the reinforced patch (to protect from the ski edge), cut so easily. They then offered me a no quibble refund, or an exchange. I went for exchange.
I cannot see that happening in the UK, as it was not a manufacturing fault. As a result of being treated so well, I have used them quite a lot.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 16-10-16 10:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report
[quote="Belch"]. . Don't want / need to layer - this is for lobbing in the boot and wrapping up without technical layers.

If you don't already, you should also throw in a pair of waterproof trousers to pull on over your jeans/trousers. They add a surprising amount of warmth.
latest report
I run hot and my RAB strata is perfect for me , its nice and light and very breathable but very warm! esp when active.
I think you are looking something heavier?

Not as exclusive but the NF Triclimate is hard to beat , feels heavy though but maybe better for standing around in the rain and wind , the ideal coat for use in the UK for walking dog , watching kids play footie Smile
One thing i can say about the Triclimate is that its durable! perfect for chucking in the boot of the car.
snow report
The other option is to look at belay jackets, they are not quite as warm being synthetic but they are water resistant and designed to be put on over the top of your other jacket for winter climbing when you are standing on belay. A down jacket will get pretty damp if there is drizzle in the air.
ski holidays
I love my RAB down jacket, it's so light but super warm.

This one looks pretty toasty - 1000 FP

http://rab.equipment/uk/mens/insulation/zero-g-jacket

https://rab.equipment/uk/mens/insulation/
snow conditions
Salomon Icetown Jacket. Total weight of 1400g for the jacket, 10K waterproof, with 550 fill power down insulation. Designed as a ski jacket (removable hood, pass pocket, goggles pocket, powder skirt, etc) but equally at home for other activities. Warmest jacket I've ever worn (only used it once for skiing, on a bitterly cold day and even then I was very toasty). Pair it with a Salomon Halo mid-layer hoodie (500g garment weight, 700 fill power down) for seriously cold weather.

(I should probably note that Salomon provide me with skiwear on a pro deal)
latest report
Is it likely to rain as Down doesn't like getting wet, plus Down is not as easy to wash. Might be better going for primaloft insulation instead.

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/blog/gear-geek/down-vs.-synthetic-whats-the-difference-between-down-and-synthetic-insulati
snow conditions
Quote:

Real need is standing still for elongated periods watching my son play footy in baltic conditions

Eddie Bauer make a down or synthetic filled long trench coat that is seam sealed and breathable/waterproof. I have the down one bought in America and it is bombproof and easily the warmest item I own. Has a down filled removable hood too. You can prob buy online and pay the import charges.
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag,

Muchos thankos.............. Straight up, L.L. Bean are, hands down, a total joy to buy from. As you yourself experienced, one can purchase ANY product they purvey - even national brands - and if the buyer is not "satisfied", they can return same for full refund or exchange......... One could buy a set of boots, wear them down to the nubs over, say five years, and get full refund or exchange, etc., etc........

The Baxter Parka has most successfully been in their inventory for decades and one of the most bitingly cold regions in Obamastan (the former USA) is in "New England" where they are HQ'd (Maine)...............
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Belch wrote:
...this is not for skiing....this is for standing around in the cold. Have looked at Canada Goose but they are ridiculous money...

I see TK Maxx are selling a Canada Goose Navy Down Parka Jacket fro only £499.99 - bargain!
ski holidays
Well, I have a goretex ME Annapurna down jacket (so fewer issues about getting it wet) I purchased in approximately 1989 (Alaska 6000m trip and was subsequently used to 7000m+ in the Himalayas) and I wouldn't part with it for anything. It wasn't cheap when I bought it (ca. £300) but I think has actually been an inspired purchase.

I have worn in in N. Finland in Feb when it's been -30 and all I needed was a t-shirt underneath. Washes up OK (but only get's used rarely now; i.e. I take it to N. Finland every Feb) and is still in excellent nick. Far too hot to wear in this country except maybe in the most appalling conditions !
latest report
@Belch,

Totally sympathise. I run hot and rarely need to wear down when I'm exercising or it is a dry cold. However somehow standing on a touchline when there's a breeze and it's damp cold in the UK can be freezing.

I have a couple of down jackets - both lighter than a lightline but I wear them both (plus thermals - hat, etc) for freezing football / hockey watching - that generally works. My wife feel the cold and she has this long (knee length) TNF down parka. It's not especially technical (pretty heavy) but perfect for dragging out of a car to stand in the car. Strikes me that paying top dollar for a himalayan spec down jacket is pretty pointless if you wont be hauling it up a mountain - can go cheaper and heavier.
ski holidays
@jedster,

Yes you've nailed it - this is exactly what I suffer from - def think that maybe a heavy down filled parka makes more sense than an Everest summit type puffa . . .TNF McMurdo or Fjallraven Yupik if I can get a deal . . .
ski holidays
Hmm listened to a podcast about LL Bean's no quibble refund. Might have been Freakonomics. Apparently a minor industry in people scavenging thrift stores and garage sales for stuff they can take back for cash or credit. Plenty of tails of people buying kit for a trip and then returning it no consequence.
snow report
I have a Mountain Hardware Absolute zero. Good if your're climbing Everest.............................................................or if you're like me and spend hours on the snow in subzero conditions just standing around. It'll keep you warm with just a tee shirt under.
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/mens-absolute-zero-parka-OM4775.html?dwvar_OM4775_variationColor=742#start=0
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Hmm listened to a podcast about LL Bean's no quibble refund.... .

REI have the same thing.

I once had a £500 GPS unit and the thing which fastens it to your jacket broke after about a year. That's a $5 part. I took it back, and it was all I could do to stop them giving me a complete new unit. That just didn't seem right, so I took the $5 bit out of the brand new box and walked away with that. I assume that's why we have EU and UK consumer protection laws, which are stronger than those in the US: they don't need them over there, it seems.

I guess your point is that these are open to abuse, which is no doubt true, but these are commercial organizations: if it didn't work they'd not do it.

---
Pub jackets? Yeah, they're designed for going down the pub or hanging around at rescues whilst the surviving victims get praised for their bravery by the press. I think the TNF jackets are for "concealed carry" in NYC: a different market.

As far as what to buy... If you want beefier than the Lightline then get something which isn't stitched through.
ME or RAB, or PHD are all decent UK brands which are well supported here.
I wouldn't worry about the precise fill power of the down, just get something you like the feel of. Modern stuff in the UK all seems pretty good quality.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy