Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Le Grand Bornand, La Clusaz, Aravis resorts 2016-17

Poster: A snowHead
This Thursday the Aravis peaks were white with snow for the first time this Autumn, so now seems a good time to kick off this year's thread.
So, the news from Le Grand Bo'.......
The day before the snow we were hiking up La Duche and along Terres Rouges and were amazed at the extent of the earth moving going on to refashion the pistes there. We'd already heard about the new snow cannon going into the Maroly sector, but the extent of the new infrastructure took us by surprise. There's a major new pumping station for the new cannons being constructed midway between the upper lake and the Chalet du Maroly and the number of bulldozers and diggers working on the piste that links the top of the Maroly lift to the rest of the sector wouldn't look out of place on a motorway construction site.
There's also major refashioning going on at the beginners' area at the top of the Rosay gondola, including a covered magic carpet (ooohhh!!!). More details can be found here http://www.ski-aravis.com/actualites-dans-les-aravis.html#actualite (French, with photos of the work are near the bottom of the page).
All this must be costing 100,000s of €€, maybe that's why lift pass prices have had another above inflation hike again this year. Speaking personally, I'd much sooner have seen the money spent on replacing some of the aged chair lifts like Taverne or Terres Rouges but there you go.
Nature note - we discovered that Terre Rouges is so called because there really is strip of pinkish purplish soil/strata running across the landscape there.
Looking forward to a vintage Winter season, reckon we're about due one.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Looking forward to a vintage Winter season, reckon we're about due one

+1 snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Will be making a 2nd vist to LGB this year for New Years again, after been utterly charmed last year when I spend 3 weeks exploring in january. The snow was pretty bad around NYE its self, so my girlfiend who was only there for a week lost out on a few days on the snow, so as you say fingers crossed. I know its not super snow sure.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, the start of last winter was very frustrating. We had super conditions for the pre-season ski test weekend in early December but by Boxing Day we were hiking above Chinaillon in our t-shirts!
Hope that you have better luck this year @escooler. Any changes over the summer in Les Saisies @pam w?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We are heading to La Clusaz for a repeat visit in February. Is it worth visiting LGB and how far away is it by bus?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@alangibson73, nah, it's horrid and the ski bus takes ages wink
Seriously, it depends what you look for in a resort and when exactly you're here. If your February break coincides with the middle two weeks of French half term (12-26 Feb this season) then you're likely to find the place quite crowded (i.e. actually having to queue for a lift or two) as it's a very family orientated place. Otherwise it's a smallish but perfectly formed ski area with challenging blacks and off piste right down to cruisey blues and greens, plus really great piste side food, cheaper than La Clusaz too.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@gvj, we had a look at the groundworks up close in September and have been keeping a keen eye - looking forward to seeing the finished projects and skiing new contours this season. For anyone wishing to get in a sneaky pre season ski, the ski test weekend is scheduled for 3rd and 4th December - snow conditions permitting. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@alangibson73, If you drive yourself it's about 10 mins to Le Grand Bornand from La Clusaz. The ski bus obviously takes longer. You can get off/park in le grand bornand and take the Rosay bubble to get to the skiing or alternatively drive up the mountain a further 10 mins or so to get to le chinaillon where the skiing area is located.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@loatie, will you be over for the ski test?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@gvj, definitely planning to.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Web cams look encouraging.......http://m.webcam-hd.com/grand-bornand/la-taverne/2016.11.10.1400.gdbornand_rosay/0 snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Opening a couple of lifts this weekend gvj - looks amazing at the moment.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@loatie, What is open this weekend? Will pop up for a quick blast.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gettiers area I think (still working on Maroly). We won't be back til Ski test sadly. Still, got a shiny new randonnée set up to try out so shouldn't be too down. Goliard, hi, where are you based?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Goliard, Gettiers and Outalays chairlifts and the runs from them. Ideal for a couple of hours if you are within easy reach. We won't be there either till the ski test weekend gvj but will be good to meet up if possible.
snow report
@gvj, based on Lake Annecy, near Menthon St Bernard and Talloires. So 20 mins or so from La Clusaz/LGB.
snow conditions
Another 22cms over the next two days forecast for La Clusaz...keeping fingers crossed for the new season!
snow report
Unfortunately the rain and wind have taken their toll - looks like the partial opening for alpine skiing will not now happen this weekend although the nordic skiing is still going ahead. Hopefully all will be well for the ski test weekend in two weeks time.
ski holidays
A false start indeed, as the website says. Checked the Meteo forecast and it is still saying snow tomorrow, but it warms up next week with the freeze line moving up to 3000 metres. Oh well, still keeping fingers crossed.
snow report
It seems like the ski test weekend has been cancelled (combination of thaw conditions and, I suspect, not quite having all the works finished on the pistes) Confused
latest report
OK here's an update from the Aravis, where there's just as much recent snowfall as the rest of the Alps, i.e. none. Hence not much positive to report. In Grand Bornand there are currently no pistes open. Rosay, Lachat and Joyers lifts are open but only for walkers, mountain bikes and parapentists (brrr). On a slightly brighter note, a lessening of the inversion phenomenon that has left the valleys freezing and the upper slopes relatively mild has allowed the new snow cannon in the Malory sector to start running for the first time. Hopefully some skiing there for Christmas week? In the vallee Bouchet they have been able to run the cannons enough to open some nordic runs at the top end.
In La Clusaz the snowmaking has been running for longer but the only part currently open for skiing is the top sector of La Balme. The long wait for snow from the sky continues.....
ski holidays
Mixed feelings for us - we'll be missing having Christmas at LGB for the first time in many years (our youngest is 12 next week and hasn't had Christmas at home since he was 2) - we didn't book for two reasons - the dates were tricky with schools and changeover days - but also because the last three Christmas breaks have been a bit rubbish for snow. So I'm feeling bad for everyone looking at another dodgy Christmas ski but at the same time I'd be gutted it was mega snow and we weren't there....

We're booked for Easter though. Should be time enough for some white stuff by then Shocked
snow conditions
@MazDave, What dates are you over for Easter? Would be good to see you all again.
ski holidays
@loatie, We're just out for a short Easter break from Sunday April 2nd to the following Thursday, staying at Hotel Le Delta down in LGB. There was some concern this would clash with revision for our eldest's GCSEs but I reckon he'll appreciate a break and will have a full week off when we get back anyway.

I'm hoping for some good snow and decent sun too - I could happily waste an afternoon on the Terrace at Chalet du Maroly. Would be good to meet up again.
latest report
Change is in the air. For the first time this month we woke up to cloudy skies and, dare I say it, a few flakes of genuine snow!
Over at La Clusaz some runs are open in the Manigod sector as well as La Balme and in LGB they opened the Parrien drags below Terres Rouges from last Saturday.
Far too early to say that winter's arrived, but you feel it's definitely on it's way....
ski holidays
@gvj, That's good to hear
ski holidays
So, a belated Happy New Year to any Aravis watchers out there. I'm afraid my last post was rather over optimistic. It did snow here last night, but less than a cm. So effectively we've been in a (very cold) drought situation since the heavy snow in November. The Christmas crowds have gone and at least they haven't affected the snow too much as there's very little of it about! Hoping for a little snow later this week and will be going to LGB tomorrow so will report again later. Have a good 2017.
ski holidays
@gvj, Thanks for update. Can't believe how much snow they're managing to manufacture at the moment to at least have a few pistes open. Chapeaux as they say! Will be out on Saturday so hope to catch up with you then, though sadly may not be at Col de Neige but then again who knows what the next week may bring wink snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@gvj, Thanks from me too. We're going out to La Clusaz in 3 weeks so am keen to hear what the next bit of forecast snow does to the conditions there.
snow report
Fingers crossed there is some decent snow fall in the next month as the views on the webcams look very very poor at the minute.
latest report
OK.....snow conditions at LGB. Actually surprisingly good. The new snow cannon in the Maroly sector seem to be producing snow that's far more "realistic" than the scratchy sugar ice of years gone by. They haven't got the roof tiles on the new pumping station yet but it's going full steam and the upper reservoir must be half empty by now. Friends at Chinaillon this week say that the level's dropped noticeably in the last few days. They say the crowds have too, much the quietest day today since before Christmas. The liason between the top of the Rosay and the Lac run has been built up with artificial snow and looks ready to go. Depending on how much falls out of the sky tonight, I think we might see a lot more of the resort open in the next few days.
snow report
@gvj, Great to hear. Thank you.
latest report
Arrived yesterday. Lovely to see a white vista rather than green and brown! Skiied in the afternoon and as gvj says the conditions on piste were not at all bad considering the lack of snow so far. Maroly and lac fine and even gettiers doing well. Had to be careful with the inevitable icy places but all in all very pleased with what we found. The best part was watching the snow start to fall while we were having dinner and waking up this morning to sunshine and a new covering on the pistes. Looks like a good day in store and with more snow in the forecast for this week things should only get better.
ski holidays
Working your magic again@loatie, ??? Snow witch........ snowHead
snow report
@gvj, 😂😜 Thought we'd blown it this year!! Nice day today - friends went all the way down envers first thing and said it was lovely. We went down later on and was holding up ok. Still quite thin cover away from the pistes but some nice little bits to be found - particularly by the moulaterie on way home.
snow conditions
Hello

Having been to le Grand Bornand and loving it so much, we never got on the bus to go and ski at la Clusaz. So this year we booked a week there, the 21-28 January. Me and my husband are both avid skiers, unfortunately my husband got an injured knee, so probably he won't be joining me on piste. I'm left a bit my myself, so was thinking of joining a adult group class, level 3, ESF, seems to be the only school offering them at this time in the season, does anyone have some feedback on this classes?

Anyway some Tips on the resort are highly appreciated.
- Best Bakery
- Good On piste restaurant
- Good Village Restaurant (nothing fancy, just real good food and service)

Anything else you would like to share....

Thank you Happy

If you are there enjoying this great snow and sunshine, have a great week!
snow conditions
@calinca, welcome - that's such bad luck for your husband 😔 Although we've skied at la clusaz a fair amount we haven't stayed there so I'm afraid I don't know it well enough to advise in any detail on the points you raise. Hopefully someone will be along shortly with some good info for you.
ski holidays
@calinca, welcome to snowheads. I'm sure you'll have a great time in La Clusaz. Unfortunately, like @loatie, I normally ski at LGB so don't know much about places to eat at La Clusaz. As far as baker's go, we've always found the one half way down the main south bound traffic street on the left does very good bread, cakes and sandwiches - sorry I can't remember it's name.
snow report
Oh, just remembered, L'Ourson, just off the church square is very nice as well as friendly, although it may be a bit more formal than you had in mind.
snow conditions
Hello Loatie and gvj, thanks for the welcome and feedback, already some imput, even if just a little is better then none:-)

Thanks

I can see you are team LGB, like we are, LOL
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy