Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich airport car rental suggestions

Poster: A snowHead
I already booked a car for me and my son for a short January trip. However, I checked some opinions regarding the rental company (Buchbinder) at Munich airport and they are not very promising. So I'm having second thoughts. I realise it could be just the internet and how you normally just report any shortcomings on things, not when things went as expected. So, does anybody have any experience with them? Or suggestions for an alternative. We only need a small car to get us to Zillertal and back.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@lmu2002,
I have used Rhino and Auto europe before at Munich without problems, however the generic return at the airport does seem to pick up small things which I am pretty sure were pre-exisitng both once with my own experience and once a friend. I would get third party insurance cover and carefully check any car before leaving.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@lmu2002, Used them once and they picked you up and took you to an industrial estate off airport about 5 miles away which was areal pain, maybe they are on-airport now, if so they'll be good. Quality of cars was good but it added an hour or so at collection and return which was a hassle. I hire cars at MUC via Holiday Autos and they usually come up with Europcar, Budget, Enterprise, or Sixt which are all good, but be wary they try charge you cross border if you're going into Austria. I usually get an upgrade, book a Polo size and end up with a estate which is always good when skiing, albeit they can be randoms like Hyundai or Kia which is always a good laugh getting to know them. They try the cross border thing every time at the desk, I just tell them i'm not going cross border, and then do! Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We have always used rental cars.com previously carhire3000, never had any problems, this year we are going down the route of third party insurance because the insurance buy out charges are making rental very expensive
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Markymark29 wrote:
They try the cross border thing every time at the desk, I just tell them i'm not going cross border, and then do! Laughing Laughing

Hmm, that might prove problematical in the event that you were to be involved in an accident in Austria. The rental company might consider you were in breach of their T's and C's, consider the contract null and and void including any Collision Damage Waiver cover you had with them and go after you for damage costs....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Having tried them all I use Sixt at Munich. I don't recall them charging me extra to go into Austria.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My experience gained over a dozen or so hires ? Use the main players.....the apparent 'cheaper' alternatives always try and scam you for extras either pre or post hire. Also, whoever you choose, join their loyalty/frequent user scheme. MUCH shorter queue times !
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I hired at MUC with Thrifty via ebookers this summer...under same ownership as Hertz, so same desk in airport, ended up with a nearly-new Hertz car, cars in multi-storey not too far away. Austria wasn't mentioned. I have an annual excess insurance policy to cover that aspect. Very slick operation on return, all companies have representatives with handheld devices who do the mileage, vehicle checks and issue you with a printout confirmation. Car was a Ford S-Max and actually had all-weather tyres fitted! snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've flown to MUC for last 10 yrs and they are all pretty much as bad as each other. Just make sure that you check condition of car against paperwork. Have had several close shaves with paperwork that says cars are clean but on inspection are heavily damaged.
The lighting is poor where you pick cars up from so make sure you have a torch or similar on your phone when you inspect. Pick up and drop off operation are run by 3rd party out who get % for finding damage so it's in their interests to find problems. Have a photo of one of the drop off guys scratching bonnet of my mates car with his biro and then tried to claim for the damage.
If they try this or you think the claim is not justified refuse to sign any paperwork (they'll try and pressure you).
Sorry to sound glum, just be careful - good news is that winterisation fee (snow tyres) is usually included in.prices of all renters.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the hints. I decided I will rent from Hertz. It's reasonably priced via Lufthansa.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I found Sixt to be best but I tend to go cheapest of the big names to be honest

They will try to rent you winter tyres as extra without telling you they are already fitted ( Winter tyres are compulsory in Austria)

Also,not sure which route you will take but you only need the vignette if you travel on the motorways in Austria. I go cross country these days after getting bored of sitting in traffic jams for hours on end
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Herz was clear on having the winter tires included in the price.
We might just avoid the motorways as it's only the stretch between Kufstein-Jenbach where the difference is 20min (or 9 euros). And we have plenty of time both ways.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Make sure you come off at Keifersfelden, not Kufstein. Otherwise you are liable for a fine.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've had a fair bit of experience of using the main rental companies in MUC without any hassles to report. I can't tell the difference between them. I've never had to pay extra for Austria, and I avoid the vig thing because where I drive you don't need it. I don't insure anything I can cover myself. I photograph the cars as I collect them in that parking garage at night. I never had so much as a squeak from the pick up people: perhaps they realize I'm a hard target, I do hope so;-)

Upgrades... same as anywhere else. I always order small and cheap. They sometimes just give me an upgrade, I assume because they don't have the cheapskate stuff I actually order. Sometimes they try to sell you upgrades (to the car or something else like insurance). For cost effectiveness, I decline all those things. Sometimes they'll do the second then the first - that's rare, but it's happened to me.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@robandliza, might actually be me as my experience and approach is the same.

Sixt are far and away the fastest pickup at Munich and can easily save you 30 minutes compared to Hertz or Avis. Their pricing is a complete lottery as to what they will be offering but if it's anywhere close I go with them. It's always worth checking how it works out as an airline add on. I've had good deals from both BA and LH in the past.
snow report
I've seen Sixt queues as long as hertz and avis (out of the door). I've never really queued at buchbinder/thrifty. I started a thread on experience of buchbinder if anyone wants to search for it
snow report
I have said before on here but register for the car renters frequent user program eg Avis Preferred, Hertz Number 1 Club Gold etc. Sixt is the best in my opinion. Dedicated desk for platinum card holders and you just show your credit card and licence and that's it. You will be walking to the car park within 2-3 minutes.
snow conditions
Sixt is king in Germany.

Nothing else comes close.
snow report
Queues at Hertz? really? If your a Hertz Gold card member (FoC) then there is no queuing, you go straight upstairs to your car.
ski holidays
Had no problems with buchbinder during the summer. They are in the same area as the other car hire companies in the airport.

As long as you taken the precautions as set out by previous posters.

We left our car back on a Saturday in August when there were dozens of cars being returned. They were to busy to check. It was drop in rows and leave the keys in the car. Has anyone seen this anywhere else?
snow conditions
jafa wrote:
Queues at Hertz? really? If your a Hertz Gold card member (FoC) then there is no queuing, you go straight upstairs to your car.

I guess a lot of people don't know that. I rarely queue at Buchbinder and I have always found it significantly cheaper even with cross border charge
latest report
GarryC wrote:
... It was drop in rows and leave the keys in the car. Has anyone seen this anywhere else?

Is common across the world, they usually have the people with the mobile terminals to give you a receipt though, in MUC and elsewhere.
latest report
Never ever use them !

We have used them twice from Munich giving them the benefit on the 2nd hire

2nd hire was the worst

Had to wait an hour in line then we were told they didn't have a car so a further 2 hour wait = 3 hours total

This was a low Jan week - who knows what they are like during busy times

We then get to our car which is only half full but the guy says he has a note of this and we only have to return half full

We do this and return the car then get charged for filling half the tank as different guy says note note on booking and even though we had a signed bit of paper showing tank half full the language barrier made it impossible to resolve

Went back over to the desk to resolve and again not interested and told us to get lost

NEVER EVER AGAIN
ski holidays
@evehayes, I rented on a german bank holiday weekend. every desk...apart from buchbinder/thrifty ..had very long queues. I guess it can happen to any desk at any time
snow report
@evehayes, which car rental outfit are you referring to?
snow report
@davidthornton, Buchbinder
latest report
Yip it was them
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy