Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hotel stop en route to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Will be driving to Schladming in January but want to break the journey. Anyone know of comfortable hotel with a good restaurant en route?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We stayed here a couple of years ago - Am Waldgasthof St. Kastl - its just off the A9 south of Ingoldstadt. Very traditional, friendly, big room and good food. A much nicer stop-over than the usual motorway chain and not expensive
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@skivor, how much driving time do you want on the second day?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use hotel Hirsch in leonberg quite a lot
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Probably an hour earlier than @holidayloverxx suggestion http://www.achillesgrill.de. The rooms are lovely, restaurant excellent, breakfast decent and friendly owner/staff.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@hammerite, we stayed there once; good rooms but we didn't think the restaurant was all that but I think we chose unwisely. Yes good breakfast and nice people
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@holidayloverxx, ah ok. We all really enjoyed what we had, can't remember what though!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skivor, not clear what route you plan but if it's past Würzburg to Nürnberg (A3) - which, NB is often best avoided because of heavy traffic and almost perpetual roadworks (see threads passim) - then Hotel Gasthof zum Storch in Schlüsselfeld is excellent and close to the autobahn.

If you like good German wine then a short detour for a night in Würzburg almost cancels the pain of the A3 - lots of fine weinstube Cool

If you're looking for somewhere much closer to the mountains then I've often stayed at Hotel Schmelmerhof in Bad Aibling, near Rosenheim (and thus very handy for autobahns to Innsbruck, Brenner, and Salzburg). Probably c2hrs from Bad Aibling to Schladming?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This summer we stopped en route to th Brenner pass at a little town called Ottobeuren, about 10mins off the motorway south of Memmingen. We chose it as Mr P had been before to meet a supplier. It's a pretty, small town, with a huge baroque abbey overlooking the square (quite jaw dropping when you first see it). We stayed at the Hotel Hirsch which is right in the middle of town and has its own brewery. The room was large, very modern and clean with a huge bathroom. I think the room and breakfast for two was around 100€. Couldn't fault it.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This summer we stopped en route to th Brenner pass at a little town called Ottobeuren, about 10mins off the motorway south of Memmingen. We chose it as Mr P had been before to meet a supplier. It's a pretty, small town, with a huge baroque abbey overlooking the square (quite jaw dropping when you first see it). We stayed at the Hotel Hirsch which is right in the middle of town and has its own brewery. The room was large, very modern and clean with a huge bathroom. I think the room and breakfast for two was around 100€. Couldn't fault it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is a useful website/app for places to stay near to autobahn routes - Links+Rechts der Autobahn.
www.linksundrechts.com
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the info. everyone
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I just sit in the seat in my car, prevented from reclining by all the kit behind me, jammed into a -22C sleeping bag in a services car park. All donations gratefully accepted Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would endorse Pertys recommendation. We have stayed there our selves and confirm that the Hotel Hirsch is a great place to stay, nice friendly staff, great restaurant, fantastic organic beer and very reasonable prices. Everything is very clean and modern with plenty of parking and very easy access to the autobahn for onward travel.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@skivor, holiday inn express is a perfectly decent hotel in Stuttgart stayed there en route to Stubai, family friendly, near motorway, inexpensive but food only average. Took about 6.5 hrs from Calais. Leave you 4-5 hrs drive the next day.

https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/gb/en/leinfelden-echterdingen/strme/hoteldetail?qRef=sr&qDest=Stuttgart%2C+Germany&qRpn=1&qChld=0&qSrt=sBR&qSHp=1&qSmP=3&qIta=99603195&qGRM=0&qLng=9.17192&qRdU=1&qRms=1&srb_u=1&qAdlt=1&qPSt=0&qFRA=1&qLat=48.76767&qRRSrt=rt&qRad=15&qRpp=20&qBrs=6c.hi.ex.rs.ic.cp.in.sb.cw.cv.ul.vn.ki&qWch=0#
snow conditions
@Snowsartre,
We've stayed at one (Holiday Inn Express) in Ghent, as we had a late start on a Friday. It's an hour and a half from the tunnel.
24 hr check in is a bonus as there is no stress as to when you get there if there are delays. The family room was clean.
As you say, very reasonable prices, inc breakfast, and, you're right again, the only downside is the quality of the food.

I've booked it again for this Feb.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 24-10-16 18:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
We stayed in 'Hotel Argos' near Strasbourg on the way back from Ski Amade last winter. http://argos-hotel.fr/en/

Clean, quiet, free parking, not too far off the motorway. Popped in to Strasbourg in the evening for a look about, very pretty city!

Maybe not the most logical route though as this then leads you through France and its tolls, but my car doesn't really like going much more than 110km/h and therefore the German motorways were not all that much fun!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy