Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obergurgl

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,
Just heard that I'm heading out to obergurgl for the season...

It definitely wasn't one of my first choices and tbh I really don't know much about the resort?
The skiing looks pretty limited, with only 100km of piste. Is it possible to link up to other nearby resorts?
Also what is the apres scene like?
I'd really appreciate any info you have on the resort

Thanks Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kopt22, congrats and Nederhutte Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not first hand info, but here is what I have:

The Good
- very snow sure
- generally free of queues
- good accommodation
- no through traffic
- lots of lift-accessed off-piste
- 100% artificial snow coverage
- long season
The bad
- limited ski area
- exposed in bad weather
- little to do outside hotels
- limited on-piste difficulty
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@kopt22, actually just sitting down the valley in Ötz atm!

I don't know if there is an Ötztal wide season pass, but if you get the Snow Card Tirol you will also be able to ski Sölden, Kuhtai and Hochöetz, which are all nearby.

Obergurgl gets a good amount of snow from various directions, so is good if you like offpiste and powder. Sucks in a storm though as there are few trees, so you're better off heading down the valley to Hochoetz on those days for storm powder in the trees.

There is a lot of freeride potential and plenty of gnar, especially if you're willing to hike - there's a 4* Freeride World Tour Qualifier there every season.

If you get bored by the limited piste skiing you can practise until you can ski the resort like Fabi: wink

Fabian Lentsch winner run 4* FWQ Obergurgl 2014 from Fabian Lentsch
https://vimeo.com/90462098

I've never 'apres skied' there but the Nederhütte has a good rep, and Sölden down the valley gets as rowdy as you could want.

There's also a phenomenal amount of rad skitouring in the valley, if that's something you're interested in?

I don't know what the seasonaire scene is like in Obergurgl, but there are quite a few Brit ski/rafting bums scattered about the valley...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@kopt22, good job you aren't going to Rauris......

Obergurgul is / was the/ one of the highest village/s in Europe. Lot son snow, great food an beer, lively apres with big busted German girls.

Stop whining.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Old Fartbag wrote:
Not first hand info, but here is what I have:

The Good
- very snow sure
- generally free of queues
- good accommodation
- no through traffic
- lots of lift-accessed off-piste
- 100% artificial snow coverage
- long season
The bad
- limited ski area
- exposed in bad weather
- little to do outside hotels
- limited on-piste difficulty

I think this is a very accurate and fair assessment. In addition, the limited ski area is split between Obergurgl and Hochgurgl with a single rather slow link between the two. We had a great holiday there a couple of years ago, but it does have some limitations.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@kopt22, From your wording I presume as a Tour Rep?

Yes it's limited but if you've only got one day a week off I would think you'll cope ok?

Find of mine repped a few years back in the Ski Welt. Enthused about the mileage to be had and how she was going to clock it all. Came back in April and admitted she had barely scratched the surface and not by choice.

If the weather is bad stay in the trees under the Höhe Mut. Yes there's only three or so runs but you can still slide? I'll swap you for my office any day?

The quality and depth of snow will more than make up for it. If you are challenged by the lack of on piste difficulty then what a place to really learn off piste?

Yes its an expensive-ish resort. But on the plus side I would've thought you'll have a much higher percentage of guests who'll behave themselves and have a nice, quiet, safe holiday. Much less potential hassle for you?

And yes there's the Nederhütte . It'll take you a while to tire of that.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We stayed in obergurgul a couple of years back over the Christmas break. There was plenty for me a red/blue hugger and obergurgul was the first and only resort I attempted a black run. The town is pretty and I thought inexpensive compared with France and switerland. I didn't enjoy fully the skiing here due to high winds and moguls and and fog and snow. We spent a whole day in the nederhutte due to aforementioned conditions. That was fun! Think dancing on the tables, drinks, music and a ride home in a piste basher as the lifts were closed.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Welcome to snowHeads @Debra snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Did a full week at xmas there once and found it restricted due to a lot being closed, went back for a day there when all was open and the skiing was not that bad, but a decent skier will be bored after two full days there, in hochgurrgle some of the runs are marked separately but come down the same piste and end at the mid bar ...you can then do a full run to the bottom ..get another drink at the bar there and lift right back to the top. ,, ok for a few times......
you used to be able to buy a lift pass that gives you a day in Solden, but two days would be better , that way you can mix it up a bit as solden is just a bit better and only a short bus ride down the valley. Plus the apres ski in solden is fun , especially at the bar in the carpark.. We stayed in the jenwin hotel which had a spa and a bar outside next to the lifts,.. That came in handy.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ed123 wrote:
@kopt22, good job you aren't going to Rauris......

Obergurgul is / was the/ one of the highest village/s in Europe. Lot son snow, great food an beer, lively apres with big busted German girls.

Stop whining.

I must have missed that Apres bar! snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@kopt22, I go every Easter for two weeks at a time and don't get bored with the skiing. If you're out for a season you should be able to develop your off-piste skiing and the area of available terrain will increase enormously. Will you be based at one of the chalets next to the hotel Hochfirst? If so, you'll probably get to know Gerald who runs the bar at Pension Hohenfels. He's the font of all knowledge when it comes to the local off-piste and weather conditions etc. I'm sure you'll have a great time, most of the seasonaires gather at the Josl Keller in the village centre.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have been there a couple of times and really liked it. Mind you, the runs are very similar one to another, but there are no long queues and the people are friendly.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We liked it, but the skiing is limited and we did get bored.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the replies. I'm feeling much more positive about heading out there now. Although I originally hoped to be placed in a larger resort, I think it will be nice to be somewhere slightly smaller (can get to know the locals, maybe pick up the language a bit more etc.) and looks as though there should be enough off piste to keep me busy
Just can't wait to get out there no Very Happy
ski holidays
Glad to hear it.

If your glass is half full, you will have a great time...just stay off the Grappa!
snow conditions
kopt22 wrote:
Hi everyone,
Just heard that I'm heading out to obergurgl for the season...

It definitely wasn't one of my first choices and tbh I really don't know much about the resort?
The skiing looks pretty limited, with only 100km of piste. Is it possible to link up to other nearby resorts?
Also what is the apres scene like?
I'd really appreciate any info you have on the resort

Thanks Smile

Great snow. Skiing fairly limited and easy. Only Solden on a bus one day on your pass for €10 extra.

Absolutely NO lift queues (ok, maybe a couple of mins on Top EXpress to get back to your village late on)

Early apres is mostly the Neiderhutte which is loud, later on very quiet as most people stay in their smart hotels.
latest report
@kopt22, Excellent, please keep us posted as to how you get on? Which tour operator are you working for?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy