Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Knee Bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone use these ? Curious as to how people are getting on with them...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whats that link got to do with knee bindings?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Old Man Of Lech, I can't see any link in skimottaret's actual post. Are you referring to the link in his signature?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I do. I found them harder to get on initially until I got the technique better (thanks to Spyderjon for that) but other than don't notice any difference while skiing. I have "tested" the lateral rear release which did it's job nicely a couple of times now.

Wouldn't go back!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks, I have not seen a pair myself and am hoping to get a bit of knowledge as I have lots of clients with bum knees... Reading a bit on the bindings it would appear that they make your skis right and left handed. Is that the case?

How were they harder to get on?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That us correct. Though if you put them on the wrong way around they will just behave as normal bindings - ie you don't benefit from the lateral rear release.

I had to push my weight down differently to put them on without needing to resort to forcing my foot down incredibly hard which is fine on that flat but impossible on a steep slope. Probably from poor original technique Happy

I switched to them for that reason. I have half a reconstructed ACL remaining and only a third of my cartilage left. The surgeon said any further damage will necessitate a complete knee replacement but I am too young to have one.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@NickyJ, Were you able to try them on a pair of skis before you bought them or did you just go on recommendation?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was able to look at them mounted to a demo board and look at the mechanisms and speak to Spyderjon (while visiting to do his servicing course Happy) about them.

He then offered me a rather good deal so I snapped them up.

I had previously read about them but had wanted to see them in the flesh.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'll have a chat with Spyderjon about them when I next see him. Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm also very interested in these and surprised there hasn't been more uptake of this technology, or indeed licensed by a big binding manufacturer. If athletes like Ligety, Fenninger or @touchguru can be sidelined with ACL injuries while training then I guess this can happen to anyone, regardless of fitness, if you get in the wrong situation. The Kneebinding website contains fairly convincing content demonstrating situations where conventional bindings are not protecting knees as well as their product. I have not skied a pair myself, primarily as all the skis I've bought come with bindings or are fitted with touring bindings, but do wonder if this is the way forward.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@balernoStu, they don't seem to have any good clinical evidence (as yet, I presume, and understandable given the cost and scope of assembling it) which may be slowing adoption.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The binding is not clinically proven, expensive and ugly. Plus many customers are not going to be aware but there has been a whole corporate shitshow going on between the inventor and the company that forced him out. Not sure if that's settled and how close his new version is to market.

I can't see many athletes wanting to ski it at present but it's probably a good option if you fit the risk profile.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, I guess so. Also, anecdotally at least, those who suffer the injury may often blame themselves rather than scrutinising their equipment, so the market doesn't demand it in sufficient numbers.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have them on my Black Pearls - they make no difference whatsoever to skiing but allegedly may help in particular types of fall. As I hurt my knee last year I wanted to maximise my chances, but I feel much more relaxed about the risks now. They are much stiffer to click into and out of, and yes as NickyJ said, they turn your skis into a left and a right (I left instructions about making sure the graphics still worked!).

@skimottaret, would you like me to bring them next Saturday?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@motyl, yeah be cool to have a look... Not too keen on forcing your skis into L/R versions but if you dont tune a lot I guess not a big deal...
snow conditions
@skimottaret, I'll bring them along. That's an interesting comment about L/R as the graphics encourage them to be used L/R anyway - I had wondered about wear, but concluded that it's not a big issue for me.
snow report
Why Knee Binding when the superior Look TT is already for decades............? Look TT..... Highest elasticity of any binding. Full lateral heel rotation with the tib/fib as central rotational axis. Easiest to get into in deep snow. Unmatched. Take it from there, period.
ski holidays
arcsinice wrote:
Why Knee Binding when the superior Look TT is already for decades............? Look TT..... Highest elasticity of any binding. Full lateral heel rotation with the tib/fib as central rotational axis. Easiest to get into in deep snow. Unmatched. Take it from there, period.

That's not correct. The Pivot binding is no safer than any other conventional alpine binding as when the toe releases laterally the heel does not turn/track the line of the boot which it would have to do if it was going to reduce the load on the leg. The Pivot heel was developed because the functionality of the Look toe at the time was poor. When the toe bindings were improved Look dropped the Pivot binding. It was relaunched a few years ago as it is a great binding due to it's high elasticity but that doesn't make it safer on the leg.

All alpine binding manufacturers have effectively just ignored the ACL/MCL issue and have just continued to make essentially the same products for years which are designed to (hopefully) prevent leg breakages. Yes, improvements have been made but progress has been pedestrian. Thankfully breakages are rare but the next area of weakness is the ACL/MCL and those injuries often have a bigger longer term impact than a break.

The Kneebinding is the only binding to be designed to have all the functionality of an alpine binding but with an additional straight lateral inward release at the heel which, combined with a second heel mounted AFD, is what is needed to mitigate against the vast majority of ACL/MCL injuries. The nearest bindings to have this type of release are the Dynafit Radical 2 & the Dynafit Beast 16/14 freeride touring as their heels pivot to track the rotating toe but they still don't have a full lateral release. And the elasticity of the Dynafit Beast heel matches that of the Pivot heel. The lateral release function of the Kneebinding does add some height and weight to the binding but it's no heavier than a metal chassis binding and is no higher than a rail system binding. The Kneebinding skis better than low/mid range bindings and as well as the top models. And there's now a 14 din version for the racing market. The biggest barrier to entry for the Kneebinding is the price, especially with the current poor $/£ rate which when combined with the factory increase has put the price of them up by about £50.

Breaking in to the mainstream binding market is extremely difficult as all but one of the alpine binding companies (Vist) are owner by ski manufacturers who will ship the majority of their skis with pre-fitted hostage bindings/rail systems. However there are now a number of US resorts (I can't recall which ones) whose instructors all ski the Kneebinding due the resorts benefitting from reduced insurance premiums as the cost to them if an instructor goes down with an ACL/MCL injury is significant.
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
@motyl, yeah be cool to have a look... Not too keen on forcing your skis into L/R versions but if you dont tune a lot I guess not a big deal...

Just mount them with inserts so you can swap 'em over Cool
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
arcsinice wrote:

That's not correct. The Pivot binding is no safer than any other conventional alpine binding as when the toe releases laterally the heel does not turn/track the line of the boot which it would have to do if it was going to reduce the load on the leg. The Pivot heel was developed because the functionality of the Look toe at the time was poor. When the toe bindings were improved Look dropped the Pivot binding. It was relaunched a few years ago as it is a great binding due to it's high elasticity but that doesn't make it safer on the leg.

All alpine binding manufacturers have effectively just ignored the ACL/MCL issue and have just continued to make essentially the same products for years which are designed to (hopefully) prevent leg breakages. Yes, improvements have been made but progress has been pedestrian. Thankfully breakages are rare but the next area of weakness is the ACL/MCL and those injuries often have a bigger longer term impact than a break.

The Kneebinding is the only binding to be designed to have all the functionality of an alpine binding but with an additional straight lateral inward release at the heel which, combined with a second heel mounted AFD, is what is needed to mitigate against the vast majority of ACL/MCL injuries. The nearest bindings to have this type of release are the Dynafit Radical 2 & the Dynafit Beast 16/14 freeride touring as their heels pivot to track the rotating toe but they still don't have a full lateral release. And the elasticity of the Dynafit Beast heel matches that of the Pivot heel. The lateral release function of the Kneebinding does add some height and weight to the binding but it's no heavier than a metal chassis binding and is no higher than a rail system binding. The Kneebinding skis better than low/mid range bindings and as well as the top models. And there's now a 14 din version for the racing market. The biggest barrier to entry for the Kneebinding is the price, especially with the current poor $/£ rate which when combined with the factory increase has put the price of them up by about £50.

Breaking in to the mainstream binding market is extremely difficult as all but one of the alpine binding companies (Vist) are owner by ski manufacturers who will ship the majority of their skis with pre-fitted hostage bindings/rail systems. However there are now a number of US resorts (I can't recall which ones) whose instructors all ski the Kneebinding due the resorts benefitting from reduced insurance premiums as the cost to them if an instructor goes down with an ACL/MCL injury is significant.

So glad to know via your expertise that Knee Bindings will ensure injury free skiing with aplomb...........
ski holidays
If cost is putting somebody off. Just look at how much several physio sessions cost. That was my comparator, when I bought mine Happy
ski holidays
Looks like WildSnow of all sites are running a test on these this winter, unusual as they're almost 100% on backcountry and touring:

https://www.wildsnow.com/20672/knee-binding-unboxing-review/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy