Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria in mid March

Poster: A snowHead
"Temps in Austria are getting lower in March"......oh my dear, so much nonsense
"March in Austria" must be some very isolated, very special event....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Head anywhere in Austria that early in March. You might end up with fresh powder, you might end up with warm dry and sunny conditions with a bit of melt going on. There will be plenty of snow to ski on, they really know how to look after it.

It really is difficult to say what the actual snow conditions will be like anywhere though.

Self catering is really easy to find too, most resorts will have a number of apartmenthauses - check out the local tourist offices. We've stayed SC in Wagrain, Flachau and Saalbach in recent seasons.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Markymark29 wrote:
It's not one dimensional its common sense.....that said I agree with your point regards going east, we ski mostly in Arlberg which is eastern Alps, and high so I'm not concerned, I would be however if I was intending skiing in a lower further east ski area like say Kitzbuhel.

For the week of 11th-18th March, I wouldn't have the slightest hesitation in booking Kitzbuehel.

Or the Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang-Fieberbrunn ski circus, which is a similar height.

I would be a bit more dubious about somewhere like the Ski Welt, although the one time I did go to the Ski Welt in March (W/c 21st), I had probably the best snow conditions I have ever had.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Over the last 5 years we've skied Kitzbuhel, the whole of the Ski Amade (apart from the Gasteins) and Ski Circus at Easter and had a fantastic time. We've never had to worry about there being a lack of snow and just deal with it if conditions get heavy. This is usually 2-3 weeks after the OP intends to head out and sometimes later.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's just weather isn't it. I'm skiing in St Anton 4-11 March, if I had the annual leave id be back after that too.

That said its diminishing returns regards fresh powder obviously but high north facing Spring corn is great to ski on, slushy pistes however aren't......its best to take a punt nearer the time after week 2 March ime, if there's a good base and it's pretty cold likely ok. Can always sit in the sun with a beer, worst places to be!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
adriangrogan,
Great choice! However, self catering apartments are in fact plentiful in Austria! Very Happy Over the past 2 winters we've spent over 10 weeks in apartments in the Austrian Tirol, in over a dozen places. We averaged less than £25 pp per night and the standard of accommodation was excellent, without exception.

We usually book through booking.com or hotels.com - both via Quidco, a cashback website.

At the end of March 2016 we had the pistes of Solden to ourselves in exceptional snow conditions. The place was deserted, we clocked up a lot of vertical and on a midweek day I counted 12 other slope users in our first one and a half hours on the slopes (at Gaislachkogl & Giggijoch). It was incredible! Oh - and you can visit the mountain restaurant that was used as the clinic in Spectre, the last 007 film. We aren't big JB fans but still enjoyed that aspect of the trip!

We stayed in Umhausen, a lovely quiet little place down the valley. And the year before we stayed in Langenfeld - a lovely town, again down the valley from Solden. We had a hire car and drove 15/20 minutes each way to the slopes, although a ski bus runs from each of them to Solden.

p.s. Don't tell anyone. We'd like to keep it that way this season.... wink

I'd also second Ischgl, Mayrhofen (or elsewhere in the Zillertal) as alternatives. We are big fans of France but Austria is impossible to beat as an all round holiday/skiing experience. I know you say you don't want to party - but wait until you sample Austrian après ski. There really is nothing like it! Very Happy It will be interesting to see if you can resist.... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Austria also offers much better VFM than (the mega resorts of) France. You can get 0.5l of beer for €4 and spaghetti bolognese on the mountain for €8 or €9, versus €8 & €18, respectively, in France Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyone who tells you Austria is too low or too warm in March has never skied there in March!

I have been skiing in March in Tirol for 6+ years now and never had a problem, ok some of the home runs to the villages may be slush or even shut but that can be the same in any resort in any country.

Kitz was fine. (1 visit)
St Johann in Tirol....had about a 1 metre of fresh in 3 days! on piste powder anyone! (1 visit)
Soll...home run gets tracked out and pushed so download on the gondola (1 visit)
Mayrhofen, has always been great, as stated above the skiing is all above 1600 apart from the Ahorn schuss and that's in the shade so its fine (5+ visits)

The big advantage of skiing "high" while staying "low" is that you can do apres in shorts and t-shirt and sit out in the sun
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Garfield--You just want to keep Ischgl for yourself! Cant blame you really.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No one can guarantee anything either in France or Austria. You simply have to weigh up the likelihood of good conditions at that time of year. Looking at altitude only gives you part of the story. The relative positions of the two countries is an important factor - the further away from the Atlantic you go the less influence there is and therefore Austrian resorts at far lower altitude than their French equivalents can have better snow.
Lech, St Anton, Ischgl, Serfaus should all be very good. Schladming is normally excellent in March as it has predominantly north facing slopes that hold the snow well.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Just what is this one-dimensional obsession people seem to have when it comes to snow? We don't live in a static climatic system where you can follow a line of latitude and the temperature/pressure/humidity will remain exactly the same at x,000ft, we live in a dynamic one.

Yes, the higher you go the colder temperatures get (until you hit the tropopause at least) but also in general the further you are from the sea (at the same latitude) the colder temperatures get. The snow line in Europe doesn't sit perfectly flat, like the surface of a lake it tilts down from the sea. As a result it's higher in the western Alps and falls as you travel east. The reason French ski resorts are higher than those in Austria isn't because the Austrians suffer from cronic altitude sickness or acrophobia but because they NEED to be higher in France because the snow's higher in France. The snow's lower in Austria so the resorts don't need to be as high.

Sure, don't go to a low resort in the western Alps in late March but the eastern alps should be fine.

Thank goodness that someone pointed this out! Far too many people run away with the idea that the snow in most Austrian resorts must be less reliable than comparable resorts in France, simply because of the altitude difference. It's a different weather system and further away from the warming influence of the gulf stream. Think "snowline", not "altitude".

Before I retired 5 years ago, my second skiing holiday of the season was always the last two weeks of March in Saalbach, and I never came away disappointed. As always, in any ski resort as spring approaches, it can be warm and spring-like, or it can be cold and wintry. This may affect the amount of clothing you need to wear, and also the quality of the snow on the lower, home runs at the end of the day, but it will not leave the pistes bare of snow or ruin your enjoyment. Dumps of fresh snow invariably continue into April - a few seasons ago I recall that the first week of April was quite possibly the best week of the whole season. Our Easter guests always seem to enjoy their skiing and enthuse about returning. (Incidentally, only yesterday one of our apartments was booked for the week beginning 8th April, although I concede that snow conditions then will be much more of a gamble, and anyone not confined to school holidays would be better advised not to leave it so late, or to adopt a 'wait and see' approach). .
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well I skied the top half of the WC run at Zauchensee this summer on the 20th of June Shocked It was rather a long hike and tour up though. I have had plenty of great skiing in April around the area, some of them epic powder days.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have been out to Austria mid to late March every year for the past several.
Conditions vary year on year. My normal expectation is that some runs (especially the more popular, busy ones and also the lower/into valley) will by then be all artifical, cruddy, icy underneath, etc, and some will be just wonderful (usually the higher ones). Pick a large area and you can adjust your final area according to the day and season. Allow for low and high altitude options reachable from one base and choose on the day and according to how you and your party feel and what your abilities and preferences are.
Mayrhofen is a good base as there's several areas immediately on the doorstep (Penken, Rastkogel, Ahorn & Horberg) and then also places like Kaltenbach (and others) and of course the Hintertux glacier, all an easy bus or train ride away - the "Zillertal" area.
I don't find it too busy in March, on or off piste.
A good mix for different weather types (e.g. warmth/cold, visibility, snow/not snow) therefore, and also able to be adjusted for as the conditions change during the day.
I suspect that other areas also offer similar opportunities, but I haven't been there.
Mayrhofen is a nice town (in the compact-is centre) with a good mix of party and quieter opportunities too; small but a good main street, reasonable selection of browsing shops, hire, equipment etc . Good ski bus network + trains. You can stay in centre or further out (and in surrounding towns).
I love having had a good day ski-ing on one of the higher areas and then coming back down the gondola or on the bus and sitting in a snow-free valley on a sun-drenched hotel terrace at 4pm drinking coffee & beer (in separate glasses Very Happy ).

I've also been to the Kaprun/Zell am See region. Similar comments, also has the Kitzsteinhorn glacier and again a nice and easy place, although the area is perhaps bit smaller than 'Mayrhofen'.

Also been to the Alpbach region in early April (think that it's a lot bigger now than when I went); definitely one of the lower areas then. Was interesting spring-snow (I think now they have a lot more cannons), and you definitely had to move pistes with the sun, but the UK junior race team were happily practicing away and it was so hot that we were all ski-ing in t-shirts. But there was still plenty of snow on the slopes.

I'm sure that you'll find something wherever you go. Enjoy Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Grizzler, agree with most of those points. But the snow down low is unlikely to be artificial - after a certain date the lift company aren't alllowed to use snow cannons for environmental and economic reasons. What you end up with lower down is the snow pack that has accumulated over the season (natural and artificial) and been compacted down gradually melting and being scraped off. By that point in the season it's impossible to know whether it was originally artificial or not!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For me the key to skiing in warm conditions are the crowds. Skiing slush that has hardly been skied is relatively easy. If the world seems to have skied down the same slushy run and there are great mounds of the stuff everywhere it can be very hard going with lots of care needed if feeling tired.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

If the world seems to have skied down the same slushy run and there are great mounds of the stuff everywhere it can be very hard going with lots of care needed if feeling tired.

@hammerite, Are you, by any chance, thinking of Happy Valley at St Anton? Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Tatman's Tours wrote:
Quote:

If the world seems to have skied down the same slushy run and there are great mounds of the stuff everywhere it can be very hard going with lots of care needed if feeling tired.

@hammerite, Are you, by any chance, thinking of Happy Valley at St Anton? Evil or Very Mad

No, never been to St Anton. But have been to plenty of places to ski at Easter, thankfully most of them quiet.
snow conditions
@adriangrogan, as you can see, a lot of people here (me included) are fairly hooked on Austria. Happy holiday hunting
snow conditions
Langerzug wrote:

Mayrhofen is no good advise at all imo (at 600 meters altitude, there will be no snow in the valley; furthermore Mayrhofen can not keep up with Courchevel in any way)

Yes it is, thank you. The vast majority of the skiing in Mayrhofen is between 1,650m and 2,500m, so what you're saying is nonsense. You don't need snow in the valley, as you can't ski down to it anyway - except on one run from the Ahorn side which is not the main ski area. Also, as I said, the Hintertux glacier is nearby which offers excellent skiing.

Why does it need to keep up with Courchevel?
latest report
Kitzbuhl is great for the snow lover and a very pretty town for the non skier/boarder too. Had a couple of trips here and loved it..good lift system and even if there is no snow in the town there was lots once you started up the hill...
ski holidays
I live in St Johann in Tirol and regularly ski Kitzbuhel, the SkiWelt and Fieberbrunn-Saalbach. I've just checked my end of season ski days for the last few years on the Skiline website. For six out of the last seven years I was skiing into April - my final ski day last year was a disappointing 28 March. The snow in March is usually good enough to be regularly skiing 20,000 plus vertical feet a day.

And a large beer in a mountain restaurant costs around €3.50 - a price you won't find in Courcheval!
snow report
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
Garfield--You just want to keep Ischgl for yourself! Cant blame you really.

That probably sums it up Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
You can see that March isn't really a problem from skiing...
For the non-skiers it could also be completely possible to have a full on touristy holiday with plenty open around the valleys.
Salt mines, ice caves, city visits etc..etc...
snow report
Gosh you'll be fine in mid march .. you could go to Kitzbuehel and it would be fine.
Austria is not like the "back of the moon" type rocky slopes of the High French Alps.
It has grass meadows beneath the snow, you are more likely to hit a cow pat than a rock.
(particularly good ski wax)
latest report
@flangesax, + Sound of Music tour!
snow report
This was Kooky coming down the Zauchnsee WC run on June 9th this year Toofy Grin

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 20-11-16 21:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I have done Mayrhofen in both Mid march and Early april and have just booked up for march the 11th again in 2017- it has the glacier down the road too should the weather not follow previous years- the resorts people like will be personal preference, i have Skied , Zell am see , Saalbach Hinteglem , St Anton , Val D'isere and Mammoth ( California) you may see a bias to the Austrian resorts ... personally I find the Austrian hospitality to be excellent .
Mayrhofen covers a wide range of range of audiences - if you want a quiet drink and meal , its there if you want late nights its there.

what ever you choose to do i am sure you will have a good time and there will be plenty of snow to enjoy

as an aside the lifts in mayrhoffen were uprated last year so the main gondola to the penkan is bigger and faster so no begging/end of day queue's
ski holidays
@johnbarr, My last skiing day of last season in Saalbach was (as reported in http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=121133&highlight=saalbach&start=440 ) Monday 4th April, and it was one of the best of the season. I recall that we'd been going through a warm, spring-like period, but it became colder and snowed again later that week.
latest report
Was in mayrhofen 3rd week of march this year and it was awesome. Snow was excellent and even got a light dusting in the town one night. Town is what you want. Mad apres or quiet drink.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have to say in recent years March has really been the time to ski in Austria especially with seasons starting later (this season appears to be an exception with early snowfalls). Often there are big dumps after the lifts closed as happened in Anton this last season. While St Anton is renowned for wild apres..its bigger draw to serious skiers is the off piste free-riding which is world-class. If you have offpiste skiers in your group you are in for a treat! Accomodation is cheaper than either lech or courchevel, there are still a lot of appartments but a good mix with hotels, pensions and chalets. If you are into touring, Silvretta is spectacular in March/April. Piste to powder offer 6 day guided tours from St Anton, end of March (25th) and 1st april see link http://www.pistetopowder.com/skitouring-weeks-trips/. As you are mostly skiing around 3,000 meters - this is snow sure and an awesome trip.

Most Austrian resorts offer non-ski activities. Anton has a great wellness centre, huge pool and outdoor whirlpool, regulatory naked saunas, a sports centre at Arlrock with indoor climbing, tennis and skittles, pool etc. There is also a lot of live music in the town - check Gunar at Murmmel bar and Anthonys for late night live music. There is also snowshoe-ing, cross country, tobogganing (down for the restaurants) and Rendl beach is a great place to grab a deckchair and soak up the sun. (non ski lift tickets for gonodalas are available)

That said, Anton is not a beginner resort by any means or really blue cruisy and yes the home runs get mogully and congested end of day. For easy riding I suggest Lech (which is also beautiful), Ishgl (party) or Courchevel which is relatively flat and expensive!
snow conditions
I ski Kitzbuhel the second week of March most years. Ive had most conditions from perfect snow, to white slushy ribbons surrounded by green fields down to the valley. That leaves more than enough fantastic skiing throughout the rest of the resort. If you want to ski the valley slopes do them in the morning, and take the lifts down at the end of the day.
snow report
I would recommend Zell am See, good range of skiing, decent altitude, plus you have the glacier at Kaprun at close to 3000m if it happens to be very warm. Very pretty town for the non skiers, there is some decent apres ski but it's not a wild apres ski town. Plenty of snow making and if the run back done to town is a getting cut up and slushy then You can always gondola it back down anyway (or take black 13 which is less crowded and less slushy)
ski holidays
We've done Zell Am See in the 2nd week of March for the last 2 years. Everything from the first gondola station upwards has been in great condition. Last year we even had fresh snow most days.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy