Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boot drying racks and ski storage racks

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, we are fitting out a boot room at our chalet and would like wall mounted boot dryers and also ski racks. Have looked on internet but haven't found much, we are based (when in the Alps) in Samoens, there is probably a shop in Annemasse/Cluses/Sallanches that sells such things, could someone kindly recommend either a shop or a brand that we can find on the internet? Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Minnie, These are probably expensive, but might give you some ideas:

http://www.skiequipmentuk.co.uk/shop/chalet-ski-boot-dryers/multi-purpose-drying-systems/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, they are on the pricey side but probably very good quality...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Minnie, Koralp sell online to individuals here: http://www.koralp.com/en/home/

And their commercial stuff is here: http://www.koralp.com/en
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is what we use in our chalet. Very well made.
http://www.skibox.info/products/home-and-family-solutions
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not sure how fancy you want your ski rack to be, but i use these (or similar) at home

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=angle+brackets&sa=X&biw=360&bih=616&tbs=vw:l,ss:9&tbm=shop&prmd=sivn&srpd=15488165786296603168&prds=num:1,of:1,paur:ClkAsKraX4ZGPHYv0YTmIL_6RnWy5YKqgYjUCXsRiNdZZrPKEaTgh7ovAegHB_SbRMTrxs5URvZzdxYTheewIglqK4J3tpJ79kY2G-56f95NpYldajDno_Cn1xIZAFPVH71cjFImaVcMSPWg3iD61pbTUeJUDQ&ved=0ahUKEwjl_pbNlb3PAhVlJ8AKHXx8DTkQgjYIqAQwFA

Sorry for the long link

Skis sit nicely against the wall, one either side of ski, toe binding sits on bracket and the hole allows you to run a cable lock through.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We have one of these being installed this week.

http://www.laboutiqueduski.com/en/energy-saving-warm-air-dryer/1-ski-boot-dryer-energy-saving-2-pairs-vertical.html

Really nicely made and professional looking kit.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all for the great suggestions, that's give me lots of ideas including a very cheap options for ski racks!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

Bit of a rubbish picture but you can see how mine hang up with the cheap option (could make it much neater with a bit of effort!)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks v much, I couldn't really visualise it before. The ski racks online are very posh but several hundred euros, this looks like a better option. I would rather fork out for the boot dryers!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Minnie, give me a bed for a few nights and I'll come and build you a ski rack out of nice wood and stuff Madeye-Smiley

If you're nice I'll do some name plates on the CNC machine (or laser engraver - you choose) before I come Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bar shaker wrote:

http://www.laboutiqueduski.com/en/energy-saving-warm-air-dryer/1-ski-boot-dryer-energy-saving-2-pairs-vertical.html

@bar shaker, We are thinking of getting these boot dryers that you had installed a couple of years ago. Any feedback and are you happy with them?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Any electrical people on here? The only power we have in our cave is the light fitting. Could these be powered off that?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jonny996, not a sparky but have played with French wiring a bit.

As it stands, probably not, cable too light and breaker probs inadequate.

But... probably easy enough to

Replace existing light cable with appropriate heavier duty cable
Add new breaker in existing board and connect new cable
Install secondary distribution box in cave
Reconnect light to that
Add sockets, lights and karaoke machines as required
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Jonny996, Those La Boutique du Ski dryers are only about 100 watts. Might be worth a try.

I have a 4 or 5 pair (can't remember) one in my cave and it's really just a gentle fan and even gentler heat, but it does the job overnight. I have a socket in my cave so I run the dryer and a freezer off that, with an adapter plug.
snow report
Ozboy wrote:
bar shaker wrote:

@bar shaker, We are thinking of getting these boot dryers that you had installed a couple of years ago. Any feedback and are you happy with them?

We are really happy with it. The boots are dry in under an hour and they don't get more than 'warm', so the liners don't deform.

As others have said, the power consumption is very low and I think a lighting supply would easily run it with plenty spare. As the French use radial supplies (not ring mains), you could look at the rating of the RCD on the fuse board.

Ours is just inside the front door.

latest report
@bar shaker, thanks for confirming. I’ve contacted the company via their website and not yet heard back. They are going to go in a dedicated wooden ski locker that is about 75 x 75 Cm square and 2m talk. There is already a Power point and hoping there is space for 8 pairs of boots. Happy to keep skiis separately in the garage if boots take up all the space.
ski holidays
I went to B&Q and bought some cheap metal bars and matching 90 Deg metal brackets. They were in the roofing section. I bolted them together in a 'U' shape and then covered them with pipe lagging. The top and of the 90 Deg brackets were then screwed to the joists of the garage. Probably cost me all of about £20. It did sag a bit in the middle and I had planned on adding another 90 Deg bracket but ended up using a couple of nylon straps. It currently has 9 pairs of skis on it.
snow report
Jonny996 wrote:
Any electrical people on here? The only power we have in our cave is the light fitting. Could these be powered off that?

It would depend on the maximum current draw but it is unlikely as lighting circuits (in the UK) are normally wired in 1.5mm twin and earth while power circuits are 2.5mm T&E. The maximum safe current draw on 1.5mm is around 13 amps (this figure can vary on length of run and where it is ran) but this would be on the whole run. If there are multiple fittings on the run then you'd need to consider this.

Personally I would not consider attempting to power anything other than lights from a lighting circuit. The fire risk is simply too great.
ski holidays
Gaza wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:

It would depend on the maximum current draw but it is unlikely as lighting circuits (in the UK) are normally wired in 1.5mm twin and earth while power circuits are 2.5mm T&E. The maximum safe current draw on 1.5mm is around 13 amps (this figure can vary on length of run and where it is ran) but this would be on the whole run. If there are multiple fittings on the run then you'd need to consider this.

Personally I would not consider attempting to power anything other than lights from a lighting circuit. The fire risk is simply too great.

All of that is UK based advise, which simply doesn't apply at all to France.

As said above, the French use radial wiring, not ring mains. Every socket and every lighting supply has it's own feed, direct from the CCB. My suggestion was to check the rating of the RCD for the cave lighting.

A minimal lighting supply will have a 6amp RCD (the lowest the French use) giving 1320w (at 220v). The maximum draw of the boot dryer is 100w, or 0.5 amps. I suspect that Jonny996 only has one or two light fittings on the supply, meaning there is loads of spare capacity.
snow report
@bar shaker, Ive heard back from the boot heating company who advised I would have to fit it myself. Is it easy to mound - I see that yours has brackets at right angles which screws into the side wall. Is that normal as mine would be mounted to the wall behind. I alread have a power point fitted in the locker from whicih I plan to use a double-adapter in order to run 2 x 4 pair units side by side. Thanks
latest report
Gaza wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:

Bathroom shaver socket is usually 1.5mm & powered off lights in a botch job.
snow report
@bar shaker,
Quote:

6amp RCD (the lowest the French use)

That I didn't know (esp. as the local Leroy M stocks 2A ones). And I assumed (!) a much bigger heater & fan load.

Would still think it easy to pull a proper cable through and mount a socket.
snow report
Ozboy wrote:
@bar shaker, Ive heard back from the boot heating company who advised I would have to fit it myself. Is it easy to mound - I see that yours has brackets at right angles which screws into the side wall. Is that normal as mine would be mounted to the wall behind. I alread have a power point fitted in the locker from whicih I plan to use a double-adapter in order to run 2 x 4 pair units side by side. Thanks

I straightened two of my brackets, so it could fit on the corner, as you saw.

They come as 90deg brackets and it's all easy to fit. I fitted the brackets to the dryer, held it against the wall, got my GF to mark the holes, put down the dryer and drilled the holes. I then inserted rawlplugs and loosely mounted the brackets (taken off the dryer) to the wall. Finally operation was to bolt the dryer to the brackets and tighten everything up. Job done. I also had a socket installed next to mine, when the apartment 'reno' was done.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 22-08-18 14:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Ozboy, Pretty certain I fitted mine on my own. Put something underneath it to hold it at the right height and marked where the holes had to go in the wall. Took it down, drilled the holes and then did the only tricky bit of putting it back on to whatever I used to get the height right, held it there with one hand, inserted the screws with my other hand and then somehow managed to pick up the screwdriver and tightened a couple of screws up to hold it in place while I then tightened the rest.
ski holidays
@Matt1959, @bar shaker, Thanks - they assured me it’s simple enough to do but my handyman skills are not so good but definitely improving since beinig in the mountains. Think I am going to bite the bullet and order their most basic model.
ski holidays
Here is my cheap and practical set-up

ski holidays
@Gaza, if you turn the horizontal pieces 90 degrees, so they join to the hangers from the side, the metal has much more resistance to bending and they won't sag.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bar shaker, thanks. Good point. They are bolted on with 2 bolts on each end so if I turned the horizontal bar 90 degrees then there would only be one fixing point. That should be enough...... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
@bar shaker, I took your advice and I now have a nice, straight ski rack. Thank you Toofy Grin snowHead

ski holidays
Yay snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy