Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Relaxing when skiing

Poster: A snowHead
I am an intermediate skiier and think im probably too stiff when skiing, will trying to force my body/legs make me more stable ? Probably a bit of fear factor on really steep slopes and bumps is where i struggle the most.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
With moguls forcing anything is a bad idea,if your legs are stiff you go flying, what you want to do is keep the body upright and allow plenty of flex in the legs, generally with moguls there are two places to turn, either on the top of the mogul or turning around the mogul, personally I'd say the latter is easier the former more dramatic
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nah - Marvin Gay -Sexual Healing on your earphones in the bumps. Dizzee Rascal - Bonkers if you want to zip em a bit faster. The Damned - New Rose if you just want to rip on a groomer.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dave of the Marmottes,

+1, + tequila
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Damned - New Rose
Or Neat Neat Neat.
Or Smash it Up
Or Love Song.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I wish I'd seen this advice before testing myself on the moguls at Hemel this weekend, but good to know that at last there's a good use for that bottle of Patron Anejo that's been sitting at the back of my cupboard for 10 years! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Do resorts have moguls any longer? Here we've moved on from the seventies and they get pisted out every night. In the whole Jungfrau Region I can only think of one run that regularly has old-skool moguls.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mark85000@hotmail.com, The trick to flexibility with stability is to learn how to strengthen and stabilise your core. Everything else will flow from that. This applies to almost all sports, and indeed just a healthy life in general.

There are endless resources on the web about this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_stability

Google: core stability skiing, and a wealth of info pops up:

http://ultraskier.com/ski-fitness/core

http://www.instructorcourses.skinewgen.com/what-part-does-your-core-stability-play-in-skiing/
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

The trick to flexibility with stability is to learn how to strengthen and stabilise your core.

I'd agree with that but also with music, though my playlist doesn't include Sexual Healing. wink

Dance a bit.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You're missing out

"Get up, get up, get up....." wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Had a "lesson" from my son earlier this year.... Got me to relax while skiing and bend my knees more, skied like Mr. Soft.....felt very strange but worked, my skiing did improve and i also looked a better skier... Next week i should get a practice in at manchester.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mark85000@hotmail.com wrote:
I am an intermediate skiier and think im probably too stiff when skiing, will trying to force my body/legs make me more stable ? Probably a bit of fear factor on really steep slopes and bumps is where i struggle the most.

I think you've really just said it! IMHO, fear is not conducive to relaxation wink
Don't force anything- especially yourself in/on situations/slopes that you're not comfortable and confident on. Build up confidence and technique, and relaxation comes with enjoyment Very Happy
Flexibility and strength are also very useful - but a different kind of stiffness.
And +1 for music - but in my case not earphones but just finding the right song in my head. Viennese skating waltzes or Hotel California have great rhythm for shorter turns & bumps rolling eyes
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Speaking as a self taught intermediate skier of advanced years I know that when I get a little out of my depth I tense up and things go pear shaped. Then I need to remember rule 5 and force myself to keep the weight forward and not lean back. I have always felt that a lot of skiing is between the ears and with the right attitude progress can be made. I have always found following a better skier down is a big help.

Having a good tune in my head also helps me to keep the rhythm going and keeps me relaxed. Tension is the problem
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good tip which seems to have the effect of loosening the right muscles in your legs is to pull your belly button in-it works for me in fresh snow and chopped up mixed conditions.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Or beer in moderation Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@mark85000@hotmail.com,

What might help are exercises to get your muscles (better?) used to the quasi-static motions of skiing: e.g. find a nice blue slope that's got a little bumpy at the end of the day and isn't busy enough to cause any traffic problems.

Practise traversing across - so you don't need to actively think about much else, allowing your legs to absorb the bumps like shock absorbers. Trying to keep your upper body "still" (i.e. not being bounced around). This is good for whole bundle of reasons but at least if you get your legs used to unconsciously absorbing terrain, you are much less likely to stiffen up.

And as with all things, gradually up the pace and gradient... snowHead
latest report
As was said above, the more you enjoy it, the more you relax. IMO. Enjoyment comes from control/confidence...and control/confidence comes from technique, which needs taught on an easy slope and then practiced till it becomes instinctual.

One thought that greatly helped me in moguls (and I'm far from good), was understanding what happens to your center of balance (and how moguls eff it up).

1. The slow down you feel when you hit the back (uphill side) of a mogul, is like standing on a train that hits the brakes. If you don't allow for this, you are likely to collapse forward at the waist....which usually results in a loss of control (and tensing up).
To remain in balance, you can either push your feet forward as you hit the back of the mogul, to anticipate this slow down...or you can actively suck your knees up instead, which greatly softens the impact.

2. On the front (downhill side) of the mogul, you have the opposite problem, where the skis can shoot off, throwing you backwards - from which position you lose control (and it's hard to steer). The solution to this, is to pull your feet back underneath you, which has the benefit of driving the tips down (as you stretch your legs into the hollow).

If you use this push forward/suck back action of the feet to remain in balance, it feels a bit like backwards peddling ie. with both feet on one pedal.

On steep slopes/drop offs, you can also use the pull-back of the feet at the start of the turn to give better control.

....or....there's always Beer in moderation. Toofy Grin

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 7-10-16 9:42; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
@under a new name, this is a great idea.

Personally I (still) struggle with trying to resist the terrain a bit too much, particularly when it gets bumpy. Getting used to this motion helped me a lot. If you are already really tense you will get tired quicker anyway, and being tired can have a further big knock on effect because you'll be much more tempted to stiffen your legs further. This may keep you 'upright' to some degree, but technique will go out the window and even fairly small bumps will chuck you about.
latest report
mark85000@hotmail.com wrote:
will trying to force my body/legs make me more stable ?

Anyway while we're chatting amongst ourselves, welcome to snowHeads Very Happy

Do any of these comments make any sense to you?

I was wondering what you meant by forcing your body/legs and why you thought this might help? Have you had any recent instruction or some suggestions as to what you should be changing?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy