Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Working USA or Canada 2017/2018

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Daughter is keen to take a year out before Uni next year and do a season. Shes done Europe and is keen to look further out. Europe is easier job wide with TO's, any advice on where to start looking for USA or Canada? Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you come across these guys. https://www.bunac.org/

They have been around for a long time and have a good rep.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
TQA wrote:
Have you come across these guys. https://www.bunac.org/

They have been around for a long time and have a good rep.

No, thanks, all ideas welcome.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is she a qualified chef? I've just landed a role in Steamboat Springs and the employer is still looking for chefs. If she wants to work in the US she will need a visa. Either sponsored by an employer, (my route), or a student visa, BUNAC for example. Canada issues student working holiday visas but I think shes too late for season 16/17
Do not try and work in either country without the correct paperwork. It simply isn't worth the risk. You would be thrown out and banned for a period.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
Is she a qualified chef? I've just landed a role in Steamboat Springs and the employer is still looking for chefs. If she wants to work in the US she will need a visa. Either sponsored by an employer, (my route), or a student visa, BUNAC for example. Canada issues student working holiday visas but I think shes too late for season 16/17
Do not try and work in either country without the correct paperwork. It simply isn't worth the risk. You would be thrown out and banned for a period.

Thanks not a qualified chef, lots of waitressing experience, it wouldn't be unitl 17/18, A levels to finish 1st, don't worry it will be by the rule book.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
if you are headed to Canada, do not use BUNAC. They are an overpriced and very simplistic company that essentially make money for doing near nothing.

10 years ago, when they where the only option to get a working holiday permit, they practically blackmailed you into buying everything through them (flights, insurance etc) or they would not release the documents for your work permit.

Everything is different now, can be done online and info found with only minor googling skills.

I would say Canada is a great place, but to get in a one of the better resorts (at least from the POV of a gap year) she is good to be looking early now.

Example I live in Whistler, but people just arriving now and trying to set themsleves up are struggling as everyone already has most of the accommodation set up and rented for the winter. Happens every year, and people often do a summer in advance (which is awesome) to get the most out of it.

the easiest option is to get any job with WhistlerBlackcomb, and as a first year staff get staff housing, which is mostly ski in/out on the mtn.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
paulhothersall wrote:
the easiest option is to get any job with WhistlerBlackcomb, and as a first year staff get staff housing, which is mostly ski in/out on the mtn.

Sorry, thankful for comment but unsure what you mean, are you saying go direct the tourist office or what do you mean by 'whistlerblackcomb' thanks
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
whistlerblackcomb is the largest employer in town as they run the ski hill, ski school, ticket sales, ski patrol, rental and half the shops.

They have a good setup for staff housing for their own staff, so its the easiest way to get a secure place in Whistler to live, and have a fun season. Will be with other same people - like uni.

The big problem with Whistler is getting seasonal accommodation
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@thefatcontroller, our daughter did her second gap year working in Whistler. It was about 15 or 16 years ago so much might have change, but from memory I think that the Whistler bods had been at the ski show the year before and she had had a good chat with them. Then got it agreed that she could join the ski school with her qualification from Austria (first gap year). In order to secure the staff accommodation she and a friend from Loughborough travelled over to Canada even as early as October. They shared a small flat with another member of staff. The friend worked for the mountain on one of the gondolas, did a lot of skiing and got some qualification while he was there.

The idea had been that by being there early they would get bar jobs etc to earn a bit before the snow came. But that didn't happen as few jobs early! She had worked hard in the months before going so had a fair bit in the bank.

She made some really good friends in Whistler and they all looked after each other.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@thefatcontroller, First off Canada is a sad place for a none 19yr old as they can't go into a bar with there mates so check she is going to be old enough. USA is worse I think 21? We just get so used to being able to go out and not drinking if not legal, but they just don't let you in without 2 photo IDs.
Then you need to look at VISA situation. The UK has a deal with Canada (Australia, New Zealand etc) for under 30s called IEC. This is now a 2 year VISA and you can go in and out as much as you want. HOWEVER these are very difficult to get and she needs to get in the Pool in Nov this year, so she can go out in Oct/Nov 2017. They now have a random draw for people they invite out of the pool up to the limit they have. Once you have an invite you can pay up and get a Port of Entry doc which is valid for 12mths. Hence you need to do it very soon. Generally over double the people want the VISA than get it, also now the random thing is a huge pain if going with someone.
Daughter went over there (Whistler) after missing the first year as she did not apply for VISA in time and had a great time. So much so she has gone back most Winters and is now trying for a Permanent Residency. Hence we have to go each year to visit her-shame.
Getting a job is easy in Whistler but housing is horrendous. Best paid job is Whistler I recon is Waiter/ress as they get huge tips. You do need a big cash buffer as they will not earn much before Christmas, all zero hrs contracts. At Whistler they like people to get out there late Oct but nothing much happening until the season starts end of Nov.
Don't bother with Bunac anymore as they don't add much value. With the internet and job fairs is is easy to get jobs over there. Just turn up at the Hostel in centre of Vancouver and you will find plenty of others in the same boat and end up with friends for years.
For USA they do a VISA but it is attached to the job so look on ski resort sites for places that take people and get the visa for them. She did get a job at Squaw Valley but went to Whistler instead.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Jake43, Thanks mate, great advice..Good thing she holds an Irish passport Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thefatcontroller wrote:
@Jake43, Thanks mate, great advice..Good thing she holds an Irish passport Toofy Grin
OOw with an Irish passport the IEC is the same system but they never fill all the slots ! There are the same quantity of places but less people applying from Ireland so at that bit of the pain is removed. If she has both passports she can get 4 years 2 IECs on each passport, lucky her.
If she wants any direct help daughter is back off next week happy to put her in touch for direct help. Specifically Whistler but Canada systems etc. It is a great thing to do and really does help them grow. Though not sure we are so happy she may end up over there permanently Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy