Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where In The Alps Next Week?

Poster: A snowHead
Heading to the Nurburgring tomorrow until Tuesday. I have the rest of the week booked off work so I'm thinking of heading down to the alps for some skiing. Where is looking best to ski 5-8th October if anywhere at all? France, Austria, Italy?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hintertux. Hasn't got a canal but the river has some pretty sturdy banks and you'll probably find some racers out for a camp run to push in.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dave of the Marmottes, 😂😂😂

How much is likely to be open? Is it really worth the drive down from the Nurburgring? I will be in an Audi with 4 wheel drive but on Michelin super sport tyres. Likely to be an issue early October?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's the beginning of October - you're only looking at glaciers and how good it is generally depends on the freezing level . Rain = absolute gash, snow = surprisingly nice
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pitztal Glacier opened a week or two back, Stubai and Kaunertal open tomorrow* (I'll be at Stubai - keep an eye in the snow reports section). Think I also saw somewhere that Sölden had skiing on the Rettenbach glacier open too?

All pretty limited initial openings (couple of lifts/piste max), and I wouldn't expect many more lifts to spin until later in October, unless it really dumps.

Hintertux currently has 27km pistes open, and open the park too tomorrow*. Probably your best bet.

How much it's worth it will depend on the weather just before and during your trip... Not much in the way of snow forecast at the moment, and if the weather stays as warm and sunny as it is now there'll hopefully be some nice slush/soft snow.

Realistically you're probably looking at a 6-7 hour drive... Wouldn't expect the tyres to be a problem, unless it snows deep into the valleys (which can and does happen in Oct, but there's no sign of it in the forecasts atm).

*Edit: by tomorrow I now mean today, I guess... Friday.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@clarky999, thank you. Yes I will keep an eye out on the reports section.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Passo Stelvio open until end of October, and there will be a few centimeters of fresh snow over the next couple of days.
The skiing over the last week or so has been good in the mornings, but as the temperatures are now starting to drop skiing all day should be good.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hintertux definitely your best bet. Usually great at this time of year.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If the weather doesn't work out for skiing, you can always have a planB and do a few passes in the car. Roads should be pretty deserted.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kitzsteinhorn opens tomorrow (1st October) and although it's currently 25° just down the road in Saalbach, a cold front is coming through on Sunday and snow is forecast above 1700m from Tuesday. Webcams showing a good covering of snow on the glacier, so a dusting of new stuff next week might tempt me to take a morning out to go for a play around.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just be aware that Germany is shut on Monday (reunification day).
lol@ @Dave of the Marmottes - fortunately there are no canals here (closer to hockenheim than the ring).

I'd drive down to the Alps, but not for skiing, at this time of year.

Drizzle here. Must mean snow somewhere.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My advice would be nowhere. Enjoy the last of the summer and maybe take a bike to the alps instead. Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The prospect of some fresh snow sounds good, and some mountain passes in the RS3! Well I'm packing the car as we speak so I will prepare for all possibilities and see what happens.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nowhere emwmarine rolling eyes ??

That's up to you of course but why so negative? There are plenty of us on here with more of a 'have skis will ski' mentality wink and who can have a great time as long as we are sliding on a bit of white stuff on a hill Very Happy. Eg see my report of Hintertux on 3.9.16 - 20km of piste; 600m vertical; decent snow conditions....What's not to like??

Go for it Ricklovesthepowder!! Make sure you report back (with photos) of course!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Ricklovesthepowder, Bormio has 3 of the most famous passes in Italy on it's doorstep. Passo Stelvio, Passo Gavia and Passo Mortirolo all 3 are fantastic in a decent car. And there are many more less famous passes nearby. Its a fantastic drive up Stelvio to go skiing.
snow report
@Ricklovesthepowder, I'll post photos later, but in short don't bother with Stubai until/unless it gets a lot more snow Laughing

I gather Hintertux is in better condition though.
snow conditions
They were skiing in Tignes this morning, but looked a bit limited.
snow conditions
Hintertux has snow forecast for this evening and then possibly more towards the end of the week! Arrived at the Nurburgring now, certainty feels autumnal around here.
latest report
Any updates at all from anyone out there?
latest report
Heading out to Zermatt in a fortnight. The high glacier is open all year round and had some nice top up snow a few days ago. I was/am hoping the Furggsattel glacier will be open. It is "due" to open on 15 October. But it is only glacier about three quarters of the way down. It needs some snow or some cold conditions to allow snowmaking to complete the piste. No sky snow looking likely this week and temperatures are marginal for snow making. I will be snow dancing heavily this week in the hope of something next week.
snow report
@Ricklovesthepowder, Stubai is open, just had a FB video of it, looks ok......look at Visit Tirol on FB for live video.
ski holidays
@Ricklovesthepowder, @Markymark29, been a little bit of new snow at Stubai, and while it was desperately needed I doubt it's much more than cosmetic tbh. ATM they only have the one Dauenferner drag/piste open (and the lifts up to it obv), and I think they'll need at least another 30cm to get anything else open really.

If you're coming to Tirol to go skiing then go to Hintertux IMO.
snow report
@clarky999, Or wait a few weeks and keep training on the mountainbike! wink
snow report
Cams at Hintertux show that it has snowed over weekend and is still snowing.

I see cannons are running at Molltal and it is still open but looks very limited. Hintertux has to be the best bet.
snow conditions
It snowed last night at 2000m in Saalbach, so I assume there is new snow down the road on Kitzsteinhorn at 2500-3000m.
ski holidays
It snowed last night and this morning on Stelvio. It was good skiing today, but a little warm this afternoon.
Temperatures are drooping towards the weekend so skiing all day should be good by Thursday.
latest report
@quinton, Kitz got about 20 cms of fresh yesterday, and its certainly turned nippy here now, however although a lot of the runs are open, many will be closed off to race teams so not quite as much skiing as it looks like when you visit the web page.
snow report
Lots of fresh snow on Stelvio today. Looking forward to tomorrow morning.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy