Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hemmel Moguls

Poster: A snowHead
I see that Hemmel Fridge is going ungroom there slope into a mogul field this weekend?
I do fancy having a go at these moguls ... just seems like a good way of conquering them or getting beaten up by them.

Anyone else going there on Saturday night maybe?
Or will it be all slushed out?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Castleford xscape have them 15/16/17 oct but just as a series at the side of the main run. I'm thinking of going from Whitby, maybe take the kids if they want.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@DrLawn, Inside Out are doing a whole day moguls clinic on the Saturday. I'm going to that.
I don't imagine I'll be doing much conquering! Laughing

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 29-09-16 21:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@DrLawn, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=126579
[Edit: oops, sorry, wrong day]

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 29-09-16 21:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@DrLawn, The Snow Centre make some moguls on one side of the slope. Good for an introduction to skiing bumps, or developing your skills. As Iski said, we're running a moguls clinic that day.

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@DrLawn, I've been the last couple of times. They don't really do it by not grooming, rather they build them - three columns on skiers right of the slope stretching approx 1/3 to 1/2 the length of the slope. Starting a little way down from the top and ending at the roller that is usually present on that side. They start off as pretty brutal chunks of snow, and mellow through the day as skiers smooth the edges and boarders flatten them rolling eyes By Sunday morning they are rather diminished (as they don't seem to rebuild them overnight), they then tend to fade further during Sunday, such that they lose any real definition, unless one of the staff can be persuaded to put some markers on the tops to encourage skiing round them rather than over them. I should think they would be quite nice on Saturday evening.
I'm heading in first thing on Saturday, and probably again at some point on Sunday
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm going to try and get there Saturday evening,
Its important for me to get a bit of excercise, and I cant think of anything I'd rather do.

Well I can .. but lets be real.

Nice to see you guys and gals on the thread.
I can feel winter on its way already.

+ I would really like to feel I was in charge on the or in the bumps.
Rather than a bag of arms & legs waving and and wobbling akimbo.

Lets see if I can improve! Blush
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Any way of getting a couple of hours pass for less than £48. Seems kinda toppy and thought it was still in 30s last time I went but I guess it's post Brexit reality what with having to buy all that Euro snow with GBP.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dave of the Marmottes, If you're going to go more than once in the next few weeks it might be worth getting a monthly pass for October. You can then go as many times as you like during that month. It's only possible to pre book one hour each day but you can book extra time while you're actually there as long as there is capacity on the slope. The details are on the website.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Iski wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, If you're going to go more than once in the next few weeks it might be worth getting a monthly pass for October. You can then go as many times as you like during that month. It's only possible to pre book one hour each day but you can book extra time while you're actually there as long as there is capacity on the slope. The details are on the website.

Agree with that, and there is free coffee on the slope so you can actualy do it really cheaply if you ski lots. I'm averaging about £2 per hour this summer.
You can actually pre book a 2 hour slot per day - despite the info saying 1 hour. I always ask for the start time only and they always give me 2 hours
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Tubaski, interesting to hear how bumps are built in other domes. We've had a couple of ridges down the slope pushed in by the groomer at night, then dug out by hand to form bump shapes, and skier slipped to mellow them out. We were pretty much making it up as we went along though! The key was decent spacing, further apart than may be obvious, and getting skiers to ride the tops initially instead of carving out pillars.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@balernoStu, I don't know the process of how they actually built them, but last time I was in early on a bumps day they appeared just to be piles of snow they had dumped with some big chunks in them and little or no shaping - although that improved after they'd been skiied a bit.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Tubaski, ah ok, sounds a more 'natural' process. The limitation I had first couple of times was being in only 7-10pm with around 8 skiers/diggers to build and run a training session on before they got flattened at night, so not enough skier traffic to develop naturally.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'll be there before my lessons on Saturday.

There's usually an instructor at the top of the bumps for free tips/advice at hemel.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hmm price plus travel time off putting. Maybe this is first year I'll not go to Hemel. Lost customer.
snow conditions
Quote:

There's usually an instructor at the top of the bumps for free tips/advice at hemel.

That'll be me on Saturday evening, so if anyone's skiing the bumps then do stop and say hi.
snow conditions
Iski wrote:
@DrLawn, Inside Out are doing a whole day moguls clinic on the Saturday. I'm going to that.

Me too! See you there.
ski holidays
@UkuleleDave, snowHead
snow conditions
Wow, that's expensive. I'm not sure I could bring myself to pay quite that much per hour considering how much vertical you get.

Is it really a "lift pass"? The last time I went their lifts were really slow, and I don't really need a pass to hike a slope that small.
snow report
Hi All, if you pre book it is £38.40 ( 20% off) for 2 hours. Tea coffee free at the bottom of the slope with a coach on hand to offer informal coaching. Come and have some fun : )
ski holidays
@philwig, considering take 15 seconds to get down that would be a hell of a hike vs return but I suspect its more entrance than a true lift pass.

I'll be there sat morning too but not ready for bumps me thinks. I'll be waving and pointing at Tubaski Toofy Grin

p.s. big fan of the monthly pass, if only they did a yearly snowHead
snow report
See you all tomorrow. 15 seconds of a perfect ski performance ...... I will take that!
ski holidays

A bit brutal at 8am! (Sorry can't figure how t rotate the pic)
snow report
gilleski wrote:
Hi All, if you pre book it is £38.40 ( 20% off) for 2 hours. Tea coffee free at the bottom of the slope with a coach on hand to offer informal coaching. Come and have some fun : )

You really need to set up your website to make that clear I got as far as the £48 screen and assumed that was after the 20% discount like any other business I.e. that full pay on the day rate was £60. I'm sure you'll be putting people off.
ski holidays
Still skeptical about bumps in fridges.
latest report
under a new name wrote:

From what point of view?

I guess the slopes aren't really steep enough would be my main concern, but bumps are better than no bumps, irrespective, no?
latest report
@philwig, sort of. Although my philosophy is, "if you can't turn on one bump, how do you ezpect to turn on many", I fear that the fridge bump experience is so far away from the real world that it won't help so much.

And the pitch is so short.
ski holidays
@Tubaski, wasn't that the angle you took it at though Toofy Grin well done for doing them they looked pretty rough to start with, i was impressed watching you go through them. The instructors were smoothing the ice clumps off which made them look better.

I ended up leaving at 11:30 as it was just manic in there, its like someones turned on the "It's the ski season" switch and billions turned up. Front desk coped well I thought
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
As good as skiing bumps in resort, nope, certainly not. Good learning or development opportunity, yup, it sure is.
latest report
@under a new name, Your talking rubbish, those bumps in @Tubaski, pic are super steep - vertical in fact...... oh wait...... need to turn my head sideways. Yep, not steep enough Happy

Serious not, some bumps has to be better than no bumps Happy
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
under a new name wrote:
As good as skiing bumps in resort, nope, certainly not. Good learning or development opportunity, yup, it sure is.

...as well as being a bit of fun, so why not?
ski holidays
I've never understood the attraction of moguls, as to me they indicate too many skiers and not enough snow fall. But it is probably just due to a lack of talent on my part Smile

This zip line for example makes my knees hurt just looking at it, but it probably makes other drool........

ski holidays
I thought I would give them a try this weekend as I had down time between my lessons. Being a boarder bumps are not my favorite thing anyway, but these gobbled me up and spat me out a few times LOL. Best I get my body flex working properly next time Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
under a new name wrote:

FWIW I went to the Leeds Xcape bumps once a month between failing my BASI L2 and passing the resit. It definitely helped me improve my bump skiing.
snow conditions
@PowderAdict, I guess that if you get good flow through them there's something that could be enjoyable, but I assume that people like them because of the challenge rather than because they're actually enjoyable. Personally I only make the choice to do them so I can get a bit better for the times that I need to do them...which doesn't really make a lot of sense.
ski holidays
I would like moguls in Braehead. Simply so I can practise and hopefully don't look like a tube coming back to base at the end of the day on the real stuff.
ski holidays
Hi @GlasgowCyclops, did you miss the bumps evening at Braehead last week? (edit: actually it was the week before last) There is talk of another in November. I can keep posted if and when a date is set.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 3-10-16 18:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
balernoStu wrote:
Hi @GlasgowCyclops, did you miss the bumps evening at Braehead last week? There is talk of another in November. I can keep posted if and when a date is set.

I didn't know it was on but I was in Bangalore and Kerela, India working. Happy

Let me know when in November no trips planned but can work my travel plans around it. Happy

Cheers
Bob
snow report
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
[b]Personally I only make the choice to do them so I can get a bit better for the times that I need to do them...which doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Actually, that makes a lot of sense to me! Sometimes you can't avoid them anyway so it helps to be able to ski them more effectively, especially if conditions are bad or you're already feeling tired.
snow report
For me, it's a challenge - but more importantly I don't ever want to be stuck at the top of a run that I don't feel I can get down.
Ambition 1: Be able to get down anything on piste in one piece, on skis, without falling.
Ambition 2: Be able to ski down anything on piste
Ambition 3: As above, with style snowHead

Still working on no.1, particularly the second bit Embarassed

Quote:

some bumps has to be better than no bumps

Somehow I suspect that's a minority view Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy