Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets -at last, a proper expert.

Poster: A snowHead
I've always argued very strongly on here about the benefit of helmet use.

I thought this was very interesting.

http://youtube.com/v/KwrvL4kxdDY
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
An interesting video - its an extreme form of that stretching motion he talks about is exactly the injury which ultimately killed Jules Bianchi. The research institute in Sweden he mentions is the one who work with POC when they were developing MIPS.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's about preventing concussion, not skull fracture, off course but very interesting. I like the exploding air bag idea and I'm sure it will further develop in the avi survival market
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh god you've started something now......

I wear a helmet and see the benefit.

Does it make me ski faster, probably a bit, do I ski in more dangerous terrain because of it, well probably as I wouldn't feel comfortable off piste without one so I guess to a degree the helmet (well my decision) puts me in a more dangerous environment through wearing one.

But does a helmet prevent more injuries, of course it bloody does. Common sense isn't......

Grenade thrown, time to hide 😁

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 29-09-16 9:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PS I've always maintained helmets are a person choice and aways should be, in the exception of kids where they should always be worn.

I'm interested to see Glasgow dome made helmets mandatory a few years back but no other domes have followed suit (except Tamworth who make you wear them on lesson)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@PaulC1984, I agree. I use a helmet for the same reasons I use the seat belt in my car. It does reduce the overall risk of head injuries so I use it. Does it encourage me to ski faster? Probably not because at my age (70+) I am no longer a speed merchant. Indeed there are times when a little more speed might help my skiing but that is another story
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PaulC1984 wrote:
I'm interested to see Glasgow dome made helmets mandatory a few years back but no other domes have followed suit (except Tamworth who make you wear them on lesson)

At Hemel they are compulsory on lessons, for juniors, when using freestyle features or racing. So pretty much everything except adult 'normal' recreational skiing on a lift pass. I believe they also require their instructors to wear helmets.

I've also skiied at Skiplex in Chiswick where they only require helmets for kids, this surprised me a little, as you're on a moving belt in a room the site of a squash court, surrounded by metal railings and other hard surfaces.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Tubaski, That suprises me too, but then I suppose you don't have all those additional snowboarders running into you or sitting in the way.... ;-P
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Must be getting cold. I spy the first helmet thread of the season, and I claim my prize Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@cameronphillips2000 an interesting video.
Thanks for sharing it.

PaulC1984 wrote:
Oh god you've started something now......

He actually started something entirely different to the all too familiar deviation that you posted.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For a Jock who's had his head bumped around a lot, he was quite surprisingly eloquent, I thought.

Very interesting talk.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tubaski wrote:

I've also skiied at Skiplex in Chiswick where they only require helmets for kids, this surprised me a little, as you're on a moving belt in a room the site of a squash court, surrounded by metal railings and other hard surfaces.

I have worn a helmet at Skiplex since catching an edge gave me mild concussion - underneath the carpet are wooden boards - and I sometimes feel the side walls are too close for comfort as well.

There have been a couple of times at Hemel that I've been glad to have helmet, based on the aftereffects of a fall.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm going to stay out of the debate. I've given my views in the past. I just thought it was interesting, relevant and from somebody very well informed. A friend of mine's father died from a head injury from falling backwards on a snowboard at low speed in Courchevel some years ago and it brought home to me how susceptible and vulnerable we all are.

There has been much debate on here, some passionate, some informed, some not so informed - but I think it's healthy that, as a large community of skiers, we do discuss safety issues.

Safe skiing and boarding folks.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@cameronphillips2000, Thanks for posting that interesting video
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Really interesting.
latest report
Ray Zorro wrote:
[b]

He actually started something entirely different to the all too familiar deviation that you posted.[/quote]

I know, I was being sarcastic rolling eyes
snow conditions
... and he's basing that on US "football", where everyone have worn helmets for a very long time.

There's much litigation about how well that worked for the people who play the sport. It didn't particularly protect their heads; rather it made them play as if their heads were protected, which is a very different thing.
snow report
i hit ice on a steep pitch. my head was the first thing to make contact with the floor. i was temporarily knocked unconscious. it left a dent in my helmet. im glad it wasnt my skull.
snow report
I skiied without a helmet for the first time in years a couple of weeks ago (sneaky half day while away for a family thing.) while I wouldn't say I ski faster with it on I was more cautious when not wearing it. Was more like ice skating than skiing at times due to the conditions so happy to not have any falls.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy