Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva to Bourg by Train - Timetable?

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone got a quick link to the an on line train timetable that covers this route? Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Www.loco2.com
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name wrote:
Www.loco2.com

Thanks, train time and fares not released yet rolling eyes

Train companies really need to get with the 21st century
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Travel when?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:
Travel when?

January
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The trains run approximately every 3 hours and take 3 1/2 to 4 hours, changing at Chambery. It is showing a price of £29.5 in UK for me

Try https://uk.voyages-sncf.com/en/#/ for booking information. I think details are only released 3 months in advance.
The sncf website itself crashes and dumps you into the one above which means you cannot even see what the real price is only what they want to charge you in pounds.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnE wrote:
The trains run approximately every 3 hours and take 3 1/2 to 4 hours, changing at Chambery. It is showing a price of £29.5 in UK for me

Try https://uk.voyages-sncf.com/en/#/ for booking information. I think details are only released 3 months in advance.
The sncf website itself crashes and dumps you into the one above which means you cannot even see what the real price is only what they want to charge you in pounds.

Ok will be patient and wait a month to see if train times are released. Considering the opportunity to take cars of the tiny roads heading to Bourg the train service is awful if they only run every 3 hours.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Or book a flight to the same country @thefatcontroller, this saving the 4hr train/ drive?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Nadenoodlee, Not sure what you mean. Geneva airport is part in France and part in Switzerland. Bourg st Maurice has been in France since 1860.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SNCF don't follow the 3 month rule at certain times. They open all of the period 11 Dec 2016 to 2 Feb 2017 on just one day - 13 Oct 2016.

The SNCF website is a horror I just checked again to confirm dates and I can see this key date - 13 Oct 2016 - but it now says that's when booking opens for the "winter season". To find out what dates are actually open to book on 13 Oct 2016 it may be necessary to wait to then.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AndrewsPeppers wrote:
SNCF don't follow the 3 month rule at certain times. They open all of the period 11 Dec 2016 to 2 Feb 2017 on just one day - 13 Oct 2016.

The SNCF website is a horror I just checked again to confirm dates and I can see this key date - 13 Oct 2016 - but it now says that's when booking opens for the "winter season". To find out what dates are actually open to book on 13 Oct 2016 it may be necessary to wait to then.

and this si where they lose out to low cost airlines as they too used to wait to release flights but now they release them way in advance and you've got to make a decision to book or lose the low fare. Shame really, train companies need to get with the 21st century
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You can also use the Swiss train website

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

but as mentioned, the timetable for December-> isn't out yet. However, like the UK, the timetable doesn't always change that much so you will certainly get an idea of current connections and prices.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thefatcontroller wrote:

and this si where they lose out to low cost airlines as they too used to wait to release flights but now they release them way in advance and you've got to make a decision to book or lose the low fare. Shame really, train companies need to get with the 21st century

They have to wait to see what lines are blocked by rockfalls, aircraft often fly above those hazards.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AndrewsPeppers wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:

They have to wait to see what lines are blocked by rockfalls, aircraft often fly above those hazards.

Please tell me you are joking?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The French have released their timetables but the Swiss haven't updated for the Geneva bit and won't do for another few days, maybe weeks. This release of dates at the last minute is so antiquated...

Anyone any idea what the return fare from Geneva airport to Bourg is. I seemed to get an indication to was over £100 each, whihc makes a hire car a simpler option?
snow report
Chf 85 for day return. Will be surprised if Swiss times change.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
Chf 85 for day return. Will be surprised if Swiss times change.

I was hoping that maybe there was a minor increase in services for the Winter season to try make it attractive and get people off the roads? The timings and options aare very limited and rubbish, looks about £150 return for 2. Bit cheaper than hire car but offers no flexibility... rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
@thefatcontroller, If you're catching the train from Geneva Cornavin there are loads of trains from the airport to there, probably one every 10 minutes.
The bit from Geneva airport to Cornavin is free if you pick up a ticket at the machine located in the arrivals hall at Geneva airport, it used to be near the exit just after you've picked up your luggage.
The cheapest returns I can see in early Janaury are from 60 euros return but most of the journeys take between 4 and 8 hours and will involve 3 changes.

It's never been easy to get to the French resorts from Geveva by train.

Altibus is a lot simpler, picks you up outside the airport, takes under 3 hours and costs 115 euros return.
snow report
@thefatcontroller, the French at fault. Maybe they will have increased frequency.
snow report
skichampcouk wrote:

Altibus is a lot simpler, picks you up outside the airport, takes under 3 hours and costs 115 euros return.

Isn't there another bus company as well, yellow buses? Puzzled
snow conditions
Bensbus have a good service from Geneva to Bourg and Les Arcs on a Saturday and Sunday for around £80 return, I don't think they have any midweek services though.
snow conditions
Given up looking at alternatives. Sadly hiring a car works out the easiest but most expensive option. The train service is shocking to Geneva, they really dont seem bothered about taking cars off the road?
latest report
@thefatcontroller, that's the French for you. They were for a few years recently trying to shut down the rail service to Chamonix entirely. It's not great, but for what it is it's quite well used.

I single out the French because the services from Geneva to anywhere in Switzerland, as you would expect, are excellent.
ski holidays
Quote:

The train service is shocking to Geneva, they really dont seem bothered about taking cars off the road?

The basic problem is that the only rail corridor to Geneva (airport and city centre) from France comes in from the west alongside the river. A quick look at the map shows that all the French ski resorts are to the south and east. Hence the multiple changes and silly travel times.
The good news is that the Swiss and French are well aware of this and so a new rail link is being constructed between the centre and Annemasse just over the border. It's been planned, I kid you not, for over a century and was due to open next year.
The bad news is that the completion date has just been knocked back to 2019 Sad
Trouble with tunnels apparently..... The previous few decades delay was seemingly due to a couple of European wars and the Genevois not being at all keen on the idea of compulsory purchase of the real estate required. So, for once, not entirely the fault of the French Smile
latest report
A few years ago I came across a plan to link Geneva and Lyon airports and operate them in conjuction. The plan was to build a very high speed rail link between the two airports mainly running in tunnels. I think the plan has been dropped.

However, I am not sure just what benefit getting to Annemasse will be, after all, the route from Annemasse still goes through Bellegarde or have I missed something?

On a slightly related topic has anyone used the ride sharing web sites like https://www.blablacar.co.uk/ to get to a ski resort. A couple of years ago one of my lay backed friends started thinking how she would get to Geneva airport from Tignes the day before she was due to leave. The usual transfer companies were booked up but the tourist office did a search on the car sharing web sites and found her a lift to Chambery leaving quite early the next morning. From Chambery there are lots of choices, including another car share. The lift turned up at the time he said he would and for IIRC less than 20 euro took her to Chambery. I think these are quite popular in France.
ski holidays
@thefatcontroller,
Quote:

Sadly hiring a car works out the easiest but most expensive option.

If hiring a car from Geneva, worth checking costs and benefits of renting from French side vs Swiss side. Plenty of past snowHead threads offer advice on this.
Also, nearer the time, maybe a snowHead or two would be willing to share costs and journeys, if that suited you? Bourg is a popular hub for some of the bigger circuits.
snow report
I just had a look at the blablacar site and noticed that a ride from Geneva to Bourg st Maurice or Val d'Isere was being offered on the 23/12/2016 for £9. Can I claim the prize for finding the cheepest transfer
ski holidays
@gvj, the CEVA development was put back to 2019 ages ago - due to unfortunate geology through the Champel tunnel. One of the hold ups was the French not wanting to contribute any FRFs.

@johnE, The route is quite high speed and a little convoluted (passing through Carouge) but goes nowhere near Bellegarde. We will have a station at the end of our street (yay) and will be (IIRC) 17mins to the central station. Which will be excellent. It is an enormous project and a key element of an over-arching project to integrate cross border public transport in the area. http://www.cevaplus.info/

The idea is to massively enhance the commutability of Geneva - for a city of (?~) ~300k inhabitants weekdays it gets another ~250k commuters from Switzerland and ~250k from France. Many of the French come from or near Annemasse and its environs. Plus plans to link Annecy, St Gervais, etc. all within 30 minute journeys from Cornavin.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, I see where the route goes from Geneva to Annemasse, but it was the section from Annemasse to Bourg st Maurice, which still go through Bellegarde I was confused about. I suppose there is a direct line between Annemasse to Annecy and hence to Chambery, but at the moment the trains from Chambery to Geneva are faster than those to Annemasse.
snow conditions
@johnE, ah, sorry, I thought you were referring only to the CEVA line. I think (!) that the overall plan is to improve onward services from Annemasse, but as that involves SNCF and RCF who knows?
ski holidays
Thanks guys, hopefully it will change but at the moment its just a rubbish train service, sadly! Couple of changes don't bother me, there are just so few train times to deal with, not practical...
snow report
intermediate wrote:
@thefatcontroller,
Quote:

Sadly hiring a car works out the easiest but most expensive option.

If hiring a car from Geneva, worth checking costs and benefits of renting from French side vs Swiss side. Plenty of past snowHead threads offer advice on this.
Also, nearer the time, maybe a snowHead or two would be willing to share costs and journeys, if that suited you? Bourg is a popular hub for some of the bigger circuits.

Did dummy for French and Swiss side when booking and no difference in cost. Got OCD, like to be organised, the thought of leaving things to 'nearer the time' or 'last minute' or not things I could cope with Laughing Laughing Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
@thefatcontroller, I looked a last week for a weekend booking and the Swiss side was cheeper than the French. I suppose it is all down to currency movements.

Personally I am a "much nearer the time" man. I booked a car parking at Luton in advance then had to cancel. I'm gutted I wasted that money.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy