Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it pronounced gape-r or gap-er?

Poster: A snowHead
The American word for an inexperienced skier...

Is it 'gape-r' as in 'his jaw gaped open'

or

'Gap-er' as in 'mind the gap'.

I want to ask on TGR, but I'm scared that they will call me a gaper.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I always assumed 'gape-r', as the other pronunciation would surely be spelled 'gapper' - but as it originated in America, maybe not?! I'm wondering now too Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gape-rrr
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Newbie. Far nicer.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:
Newbie. Far nicer.

still derogative. Beginner. How about that?

As for TGR, I'm sure they have some much better insults for anyone who posts about gape-rs. Talking of which "Snowheads - A middle England Gaperfest" - TGR (http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=3931)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Newbie. Far nicer.

Perhaps, but maybe not if said with a smile.

Don't want to get in semantics, but isn't a beginner someone who has never skied before, someone who is on their first skiing holiday? While a newbie is someone with limited experience as they are new to skiing? Someone at the end of their second week of skiing is not a beginner, but they are still new to skiing.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, davidof, not necessarily either, its describing a clueless person who doesn't have to be new to the sport, as well we all know Toofy Grin I'd go with gape -r too
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bones wrote:
rob@rar, davidof, not necessarily either, its describing a clueless person who doesn't have to be new to the sport, as well we all know Toofy Grin I'd go with gape -r too

Generally the term jong, is used for someone new to the experience Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bones wrote:
Ah, I see. I call them a "potential client", pronounced "potential client" wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gaperness has nothing to do with being a neophyte. One can gape all one's life, equally a newbie who cracks on and is self aware need never gape hard.

The nearest UK translation is Billy or Punter.

The easiest Gaper identifier is gap between goggles and hat or helmet or wearing sunnies with helmet which inevitably creates said gap.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dave of the Marmottes, please don't let's get back into the discussion as to why you shouldn't wear sunglasses with a helmet, more and more I see seasonaires and locals wearing sun glasses and helmet, the fashion police have lost this one me-thinks Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bones wrote:
Bones wrote:

Generally the term jong, is used for someone new to the experience Madeye-Smiley

But I thought Jong was an acronym for 'Jack Off Newbie Gaper'?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stevew wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, please don't let's get back into the discussion as to why you shouldn't wear sunglasses with a helmet, more and more I see seasonaires and locals wearing sun glasses and helmet, the fashion police have lost this one me-thinks Very Happy

Only acceptable if you have goggles strapped around the helmet. Not that I ever wear a helmet Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
Bones wrote:

I see Rob. Enquiring minds may wonder what do you call an actual client?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dogwatch wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Bones wrote:

A friend.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Newbie. Far nicer.

..Talking of which "Snowheads - A middle England Gaperfest" - TGR (http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=3931)

Laughing Laughing
We should wear that badge with pride Cool snowHead
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Gaperness has nothing to do with being a neophyte. ...
The easiest Gaper identifier is gap between goggles and hat or helmet or wearing sunnies with helmet which inevitably creates said gap.

I realize you're correctly describing that and not necessarily using it.

--
It's like creating arbitrary rules of grammar in order than you can feel superior to those who break them.
These words are used by sheepish people who probably enjoy hiding behind their keyboards more than anything else.

I think "punter" is different, which is actually an accurate description and not a derogatory word in common usage.
The standard euphemism in North America is "Guest" - "Punter" is not an American word I think.

I'm sure I'm a king gapper and gaper and geek. If that's what it takes to wear my stuff anyway I want, why should I care?

--
>>We should wear that badge with pride
This - I want a gapper (sic) T shirt.
snow report
Quote:
I think "punter" is different, which is actually an accurate description and not a derogatory word in common usage.

"Punter" is certainly derogatory, one usage being to describe men who visit prostitutes.
snow conditions
I guess they use the word "gaper" because they can't say "nigger" anymore stateside and they need someone to hate on.

Happy
latest report
Does anyone else cringe when they hear the word "punter"? I hate it, it's so horribly patronising and I've only ever heard it used by people who are not far off from being that sort of stereotype themselves
snow report
davidof wrote:
I guess they use the word "gaper" because they can't say "nigger" anymore stateside and they need someone to hate on.

Happy

You can if you are a rapper.
ski holidays
dogwatch wrote:

A victim or a masochist wink
snow conditions
I always thought it was gapper (like rapper!), because of the gap between the goggles and woolly hat which looks idiotic, as mentioned above.

Nearly as bad as not pulling your ski trousers down over your boots.
ski holidays
[quote="stevew"]@Dave of the Marmottes, please don't let's get back into the discussion as to why you shouldn't wear sunglasses with a helmet, more and more I see seasonaires and locals wearing sun glasses and helmet, the fashion police have lost this one me-thinks Very Happy

Darn it obvious line casting snapped.

Anyway Gaper, punter whatever it's only used mainly in fun. There is no doubt some people do leave their brains at home when on holiday and to have a shorthand for recognising that is useful.
ski holidays

Here ya go
latest report
philwig wrote:

--
>>We should wear that badge with pride
This - I want a gapper (sic) T shirt.

https://www.shirtinator.co.uk/design/personalised-t-shirts/?userdesign=45503405

@Admin - you know what to do snowHead
snow report
Just google 'gape'. That will tell you all you need to know. Embarassed
snow conditions
dogwatch wrote:
... "Punter" is certainly derogatory, one usage being to describe men who visit prostitutes.

Actually that's not correct. A quick google will find you a site called "punter net" which has no shame in the word.

In pinball, "punter" is anyone who plays the game and again is not derogatory.

Similarly gambling, where punters often "take a punt" and are blissfully unaware of any negative connotations of the words used.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In Venice Punters are, I believe, known as Gondoliers.
And whoever invented that 'shirtinator' site should note that the name doesn't skim read well Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Tubaski, Laughing
latest report
If you have to ask Wink
ski holidays
HoneyBunny wrote:
I always thought it was gapper (like rapper!), because of the gap between the goggles and woolly hat which looks idiotic, as mentioned above.

Nearly as bad as not pulling your ski trousers down over your boots.

I think you are right.
snow report
Those in the know never say punter in case they're overheard.
Billy or Hillman is preferred.
I guess we all need someone to look down on.
ski holidays
Also known as a Jerry:

https://www.instagram.com/jerryoftheday/

By far my favorite Instagram follow.
snow conditions
Quote:

Does anyone else cringe when they hear the word "punter"? I hate it, it's so horribly patronising and I've only ever heard it used by people who are not far off from being that sort of stereotype themselves

I've only used "punter" when I was working a season and for a few years after. It had a specific and non-judgmental meaning - it was slang for client or paying guest. A punter could be a lovely person and excellent skier but they were a punter by virtue of paying for a holiday and obviously there was nothing wrong with that. I went on a few chalet holidays afterwards and when that bloke in the chalet asked you on the first night if you were a good skier my stock response was "I did a season so I'm not bad for a punter".

The other common usage was in the phrase "punter-shunting" - this was judgmental, it implied intimate relations between staff and a guest and was generally seen as letting the side down!

Gaper is clearly derogatory but I agree doesn't mean beginner. It includes people who really should know better - can't handle themselves in lift queues without waving skis and poles in people's faces, ski in jeans in bad weather (I'd say at all but I'm harsh like that), jester hats after the age of 12, etc.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy