Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The same 'which ski' question that has been a million times before, please help

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm heading out for a season in Whistler and I need some recommendations for skis.

I'm 21, 5'9 and 69kg. I've been skiing in Europe since I was very young, and would say I'm an advanced skier on piste, but haven't really had much experience skiing off-piste/proper powder.

I'm looking for a pair of skis which will sort me out for the majority of the conditions I'll experience out there. I know it's better to have multiple pairs but I can't really afford that, and I really don't know anything about skis (always just taken the ones which the rental shop have given me) so I wouldn't even know what to begin looking for on eBay/Craigslist etc.

I appreciate any help which anyone can give me.

P.S. If anyone knows of any good bootfitters in Whistler that would be a bonus.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@benlock17, Welcome to SnowHeads Very Happy

21 and a season in Whistler, not jealous at all wink

I am sure the BC locals will be along to advise on the best shops. My take would be that if you get as much skiing as you hope to during your season, the skis you will want at the end of your trip may well be very different from those at the start.

On the basis that you are working, will your employer provide any equipment? If they do, or if you can get an ex rental deal, for your work ski, you could then consider something more 'exciting' as a play / day off ski.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You could put the Nordica Enforcer on your list....I haven't skied it, but it is getting great reviews.

You are quite light, so it should have plenty of width to give you enough float in powder conditions.

For boot fitters in Whistler, you could also ask at the Epic Ski Forum.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Old Fartbag, I still have the old twin tip Enforcer. Amazing ski and highly rated back then.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarpa wrote:
@Old Fartbag, I still have the old twin tip Enforcer. Amazing ski and highly rated back then.

Good job.

FWIW. I do a lot of "back then". Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
the only answer to the question is "the ski which is right for you"

Not only are there just a ridiculous number of options out there in each category, but the categories aren't set in stone. I rid all a relatively skinny all mountain ski (Head Rev80) on the piste because I find it more secure for my weight than the manufacturer's equivalent piste ski. A friend of mine rides something on the piste which looks like it was made for pure powder. At the EOSB I had a whole lot of fun on the Whitedot Preacher which to me is the most amazing piste/powder hybrid that I've ever played with, but other good skiers have reported having a rotten time on it.

With a season in Whistler there's every chance you'll knock the pistes on the head after a few weeks and learn to appreciate the pow. And when you do that, you will probably want to spend all your time there - at least until it stops snowing. And for that you will want a wider powder ski with lots of float. I would basically settle for the fact that by the end of the season you will have 2 pairs of skis. So buy something a bit more piste-orientated this time around (as that's where your experience is) and I think there is a good chance that come the new year you will want to go out and play with all your powder skiing mates and will go and buy yourself something big and wide which handles all that properly.

2 years ago I didn't want to buy skis at all. I thought renting was just a bit easier really and worth the extra spend. Now I have a pair of Scott Black Majic (narrow, hard piste ski) , a pair of Head Rev80 (all mountain) and a pair of Whitedot Ragnaroks (fat powder ski) and it's just kind of happened that way.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Might be worth not taking any out there but hiring/borrowing some models you may be interested in from shops there? I guess the exchange rate is not great but might be worth looking at the cost difference. They might have a few last season models knocking about which would be cheaper. At least gives you an informed choice of what to buy!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Two more skis to put on your list of potentials would be the Head Collective 105 and Fischer Ranger 98 Ti. These topped the very recent 2017 Freeride catagory at the SCGB tests, taking some impressive scalps (Soul 7 HD; Enforcer; Bonafide).

Just pipped at the post were: Dynastar Cham 2.0 97; Volkl Mantra and Scott Sage. The rest dropped a star, usually for their Piste performance not being quite as good....which I know is subjective and is determined by a lot of factors.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Get a pair of Bent Chetlers and then find some dirt cheap ex club racer SL or GS skis for the piste Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy