Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Contamines Ski Guiding Reccommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Dear Snowheads,

I will be going to Les Contamines for February half-term week. 11/2/17 until 18/2/17. I was wondering if anybody could recommend any mountain guides or ski schools that do off-piste/freeriding groups. I have emailed the local mountain guide office in Les Contamines and the local ESF. The local mountain guides seem good and are offering guided groups and other option, I just wondered if anybody had any particular recommendations?

If any snowheads are up for putting a group together then that is another option.

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have used the local guides and been very happy both with a private group and joining an introduction to ski touring group. I don't think that they run week-long off piste groups but I'm not sure.

My kids have had private lessons with ESI (guy called Christophe who I have also skied with) and for the last couple of years that has mainly been off piste. I think he is pretty good but he has a classic French ski instructor attitude - no avalanche gear, relies on his years of experience in Les C to avoid risky slopes. Both I and my kids have skied stuff with him that I wouldn't normally ski without all the kit. Depends what your attitude to that is.

I think ESF run groups focused on freeride too.

I'll be out there that week and should get some time to ski without the family and with another friend who is also an experienced off piste skier. We won't take a guide unless we decided to do something very adventurous (most likely involving some skinning / climbing) but could potentially show you a few spots if you are interested.

Les C has a huge amount of relatively safe off piste terrain so you might find that with a day or two's guiding you are comfortable finding your own way.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jedster, Thanks for the info - very useful indeed. I have emailed ESF about freeride groups and I am awaiting their reply.

I am a very experienced off-piste skier/freerider. I have all the relevant avalanche equipment and Freerando kit. I would be very interested in being shown some spots.

I am planning on off-piste stuff in the mornings and then skiing with my seven year old son and wife in the afternoons.

@jedster, do you recommend any of the ski-schools there?

Thanks for your help.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well let's try to ski a bit in Feb - my mate and I are likely to get a pass out for a day tour one day so bring your skins.
My kids are 13 and 11, pretty competent off piste now and unlikely to be doing lessons so I'll be with them a lot but I should find a few opportunities to sneak off. I'm always keen to seduce people with the Les Contamines off piste playground!

On ski schools, we have only got direct experience of private lessons in Les C (my prejudice is 2 hours of focused tuition is better than 2 days in ski school but I know opinions differ). That said, we let our flat sometimes and our guests have been happy with ESF and ESI (small operation in Les C so relies on the group being a good match to your ability). I think I'd start with ESF.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jedster, that would be really great. Les Contamines looks like a fantastic place for off-piste/freeriding and families. It really looks perfect for us. I am really looking forward to skiing it.

Some other queries. Is it comfortable to drive it in a day? I regularly drive to the south of France and Austria so I am quite used to driving on the continent. I was thinking of getting an early Ferry and driving to Les Contamines in the day on the Saturday. Is that feasible?

Thanks again for your help.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Approx 8 hours from Calais, off which only the last 30 minutes is off motorway
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jonny996, ... or it could take longer at half term.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rjs, true, never driven at half term, or a Saturday
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Jonny996, thanks.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you are considering doing this you must book well in advance guides and instructors all get booked up early for that week. Christophe and philippe are good at the internetional ski school http://snowsession.esi.free.fr/V2/index.php?lng=fr .Tobie Jacquemoud has mont blanc ski adventure,There is the guides office in the village Bureau des Guides des Contamines-Montjoie .Ifyou wish some of the english outfits from chamonix or st Gervais will come up. But what ever you do do not leave it to the last minute !
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@brock,

Thanks for your advice. I will be booking up very early I am sorting it all out now. I have emailed ESI, ESF, and Bureau des Guides des Contamines-Monjoie regarding guiding options.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

but what ever you do do not leave it to the last minute !

very good point - we've used Christophe, Philippe and Tobie actually - like them all. But you definitely need to book.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Approx 8 hours from Calais, off which only the last 30 minutes is off motorway

Yes, it is an easy drive in part because the only switchbacks are low down below St Gervais so even in bad weather you are unlikely to need chains (need to have them of course).
If you are travelling on a Saturday at half-term you could get some payage queues.
Of course with kids, you need to budget for stops and it depends whether you have two drivers. We tend to break the journey overnight on the way out but perhaps drive through the evening and get a late night shuttle on the way back.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jedster, the drive sounds great in comparison to getting to the Tirol! The last 85 miles from Munich generally take about 4 or 5 hours. I think I will do it in one go on the way down, and ski the Saturday and get a hotel on the way back.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@JayDub, if I was within an hour of the tunnel that's what I would do, I unfortunately have 8 hours before I reach tunnel
ski holidays
@Jonny996, we are within an hour of Dover. Which is wonderful!
latest report
@JayDub, Why does it take you 5 hours to do 85 miles from Munich ?
snow report
@rjs, We have to go at half-term, so combined with Dutch/German holidays we have experienced massive traffic jams on all of the roads. We got to Munich once at about 5.30am on a Saturday morning and the jams started on the motorways, that was not so bad we got to Fieberbrunn at about 11.00am - I think there have usually been some accidents in the mix and broken down lorries, plus a good volume of Traffic. I had routes sent to me from Sammerberg Sue and I have friends who come from the area. So I have had some good routes sorted. On the way back we have had all of the road works up from Munich towards Stuttgart plus accidents and terrible weather. I think we have probably been cursed driving to Austria. I think on the worst trip we could have probably driven all the way to Chamonix/Flaine/Les Contamines in the time it has taken us to get from Munich to Fieberbrunn!

Anyway off to Les Contamines for a change.
ski holidays
Quote:

@Jonny996, we are within an hour of Dover. Which is wonderful!

That really helps - we live 40 miles west of London and the worst bit of the journey by far is the UK leg. Unless we get up in the middle of the night we need to leave plenty of time just in case.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy