Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Servicing

Poster: A snowHead
Can anybody recommend somewhere/someone that can do good ski servicing in the Oxfordshire area? I've heard that the snozone in Milton Keynes can do servicing whilst you wait/ski on their equipment - has anybody done this?

Thanks in advance

Adam
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If I lived in Oxfordshire, I'd get myself to The Piste Office and learn to service my skis from Jon.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zermattandchips wrote:
If I lived in Oxfordshire, I'd get myself to The Piste Office and learn to service my skis from Jon.

I did his course October last year and found it very good and thoroughly enjoyable.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yup, he really knows his stuff Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another vote for Spyderjon at The Piste Office. I did his course back in May, and it was an absolute pleasure to spend a morning with him getting the benefit of his experience and enthusiasm for his subject. As I've been skiing at Hemel a lot over the summer (which tends to really strip the wax quickly) I've been waxing / servicing my skis almost weekly - so it was well worth it. It is worth noting that you need to budget for buying servicing kit as well as the course (Jon does a couple of kits). Even with that expense I reckon I've already saved money, and my skis are consistently in good condition.
If that's not your idea of fun then try and find a reputable shop. Personally I wouldn't trust mine to the hire counter at any indoor slope. If I remember correctly there was a thread a while ago where someone had their snowboard wrecked at one such outfit (in fairness I don't think it was MK)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would go to Spyderjon if he were closer. As it is, I take my skis to Ski Bartlett in Hillingdon.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can only echo all of the above, Have a chat with Jon at the Piste Office (.com)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you don't want to travel all the way to Nottinghamshire, you can try Lockwoods in Leamington Spa or Outdoor Traders in Abingdon.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the replies - will most likely contact the Piste Office. Guessing the outlay now will soon pay for itself
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ruddster wrote:
Guessing the outlay now will soon pay for itself

Totally and in reality the pain of any expenditure soon goes away and then you've got the gear for a long time. I purchased one of Jon's kits and then been using birthdays etc to add to it, tbh I didn't really need much more but its quite therapeutic working on the skis so I've added little things over time. Also, consider buying a ski vice (plus extra binding mount) this has made the whole process easier.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+1 for getting a proper vice. Jon's kit package doesn't include one, presumably in order to not give you too much sticker shock, but it's SO much easier with a proper ski vice. I tried for a while using a crappy workbench and it was a pain. It's a doddle with a decent vice.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Maireadoconnor, that's true. I added the Jaws of Beast vices which seem good - but it does add to the cost quite significantly. Of course it's possible to roll your own solution to that problem if a) you're handy with bits of timber [which I am] and b) can be arsed [which I couldn't]
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Might be a bit far from Oxford, but these guys in South London have done a decent job for me - www.batterseaski.co.uk Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have mine done at Outdoor Traders in Abingdon. Always excellent service.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
They were charging £40 or something to get skis serviced here, so I bought a kit from Jon at the Piste Offfice and split the cost with a friend (it's not like you need it every day). We bought Swix vices and waxing iron locally as easier to get here. Just bought a Swix carving kit 1 to give the edges a little sharpen between services.
ski holidays
Where in Oxfordshire are you? My ski tools are all in Didcot so if we can find a time I'll be at home you're welcome to swing by.

I too recommend Jon at TPO but Nottingham is not exactly Oxfordshire. Depends how big you want to go!
latest report
Don't use MK - went to pick up my ski's after 5 days and not only had they forgotten to do them but they couldn't find them.

Was told to get a coffee and come back in 1/2 hr. They found them, said they'd do them while I waited. All good so far, until I watched the guy use the belt sanding machine on the bases.

Must have done about 4 passes shaving about 3 mm of the bases, which were in good nick anyway. Then to add insult to injury used spray on wax!!!!!

Go see Jon at Piste office and get tooled up. Very therapeutic servicing your own skis, bit like mindfulness for snowheads
snow conditions
@dp thanks for the offer - I am in Oxford(Botley) but have family and friends that also need their stuff done so will be booking a course for myself and splitting costs of the gear afterwards

Thanks for the heads up about MK - always wondered what level of training the staff have there, appears to be very little - haven't yet booked time at the Piste Office but will definitely do so
snow report
@Ruddster, just a warning, I did mine early October but it had been booked a good number of months in advance...6maybe. (hubb organised as my birthday present). While there people were phoning in trying to book and were disappointed by the long lead time...
snow report
@Ruddster, If Jon is too far check out my mate Tony in Daventry at http://www.edge2win.co.uk/location.php

His tunes are F**king sharp and fast...

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 3-10-16 17:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Another vote here for Spyderjon & the piste office.
He is really knowledgeable, friendly, the stuff he sells is top notch, and to top it off his prices are really keen.
Did a course with him last year and will never again take my skis anywhere else to be serviced.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy