Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Preparing to get back on the slopes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi. Sorry for a slightly rambling intro, but I'm looking for some specific advice.
I'm mid-fifties, and skied last winter for the 1st time in 20 years. Back in the day I was 'fair intermediate' standard - more enthusiasm than ability. I'd tried to get a reasonable level of fitness - with all the usual exercises recommended (lots of cycling, squats, lunges, calf raises, crunches, etc). I had a fantastic week away. For the 1st 4 days we averaged about 5K vertical a day. By the end the legs had a few problems. I plan to go again this spring - and avoid the worst of these if I can. Hoping that folks here can suggest things that I can add to the routine - preferably that I can do at home without equipment.

Problem 1: Thighs mostly held up well, but a muscle sort of outside at the top (under the trouser pockets) started ache like hell. It took a few weeks to recover. I can't seem to find a way to work this area. Any ideas?

Problem 2: Going downhill wasn't a problem, but whenever I stopped the shins burnt seriously. Sitting lifts was agony. This had no lasting effect - wasn't even stiff of achy the morning after.

Problem 3: The biggie. One knee completely lost strength - I just couldn't turn left. I hadn't crashed. There was no swelling or bruising. It wasn't stiff or tender to touch. There was a severe ache all the way round the inside of the knee - and sort of under the inside of the kneecap. Trying to ski didn't increase the pain - it just didn't work. Walking was fine - but with occasional stabbing pain and a feeling of weakness (but never actually failing). It took about 2 months to settle, and has been no problem since. All the standard exercises seem to work the knees sort of forward and backwards, but not to the side. I'll probably wear a brace on it, but I think there must be something I can do to improve lateral strength as well. What does anyone think?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@SimonW, welcome to snowheads. I suggest you get a private physio appointment for an assessment and specific exercise programme. I wouldn't go down the brace route without knowing what I was trying to protect
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@SimonW, if you are suffering to this extent on 5k vertical a day it can only be lack of technique. Skiing's not that tough physically speaking. Get to your local slope (dry or fridge) and get some lessons. Fitness is nothing if you can't ski properly - I've skied with really fit guys (squaddies) who could stay on their feet all day on the mountain but were utterly knackered after a fairly easy day's skiing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 @telford_mike.

@SimonW, also, kit and technique has changed enormously so even if you were a very competent skier 20 years ago, you almost certainly would still need a bit of a remake to get the best out of the skis.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Simon

Another thing to consider is that the problems you have encountered may be caused or exacerbated by poor skeletal alignment due to ineffective foot beds in your boots. I would advise getting checked by a qualified boot fitter and if necessary get some new foot-beds made up to get your alignment back where it should be
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@SimonW, No matter how hard you try to train for a specific activity the only real way to get fit for that activity is to do it. This is especially true for the first time or after years of not doing it. So lots of skiing is the only real way to get fully fit for skiing. You not only need to get the muscles strong, flexible and have endurance, but you also need to educate them to work the range of movement, the speed and forces required for skiing. As you have discovered there is often some little mucsles that appears to be used for nothing else.

As to the knees - you are in your 50s - I think they generally start to hurt as you get older. I suffer from osteoarthritis from about that age in both knees and at one point I couldn't even walk after a ski holiday. Actually I find walking much more painful than skiing. Since then I am more careful with my knees: I always wear high quality knee braces, carry out the physio prescribed excercises, restrict the number of big bump fields I do a day to 4 or 5 km and very importantly stop before they become too sore. I might loose a half day but then I save days later on.

In summary:
Get regular lessons in the UK to reducate your body to skiing
Take care of your knees
Stop when it becomes painful
Accept that you cannot do everything you want to do - learn what you can manage
Learn to read the snow; slush is very hard on the legs, hard pack generally is much easier, but rutted hard pack is very painful on the knees when there is no meniscus to stop bone pressing against bone. Shapren your edges and search out the firm snow. This is very important in spring conditions. If you really want to go out and enjoy the late afternoon slush hire a snowboard
Oh! skiing is a active holiday expect to come back knackered. I do
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@johnE, thankyou for these great tips. I too often get burning shins, so I looked it up on www.the ski monster.com....here is a snippet...."So what's happening to your shins when you ski? What is Shin Bang? My college roommate, Andrew Horton, the other one that didn't help me start this thing that's now known as theskimonster.com became a Doctor of Physical Therapy. He came by and we talked about shin bang, here is the deal.

"To understand shin bang lets talk about ankle anatomy and ankle biomechanics during skiing. The group of muscles in the front of your shin are your dorsiflexors and the muscles behind your shin are your plantar flexors. The function of your dorsiflexors when skiing is to prevent you from falling backwards. Now if you are skiing in the backseat you are constantly using your dorsiflexors to prevent you from falling backwards. If you spend a whole day skiing or landing in the backseat, you end up putting a constant load on your dorsiflexors. You make them work overtime and put them at risk for strain. That constant load you put on through your dorsiflexors can cause them to become inflamed and very tender to touch. Then combine that of the pressure of them constantly rubbing on the front of the boot as you shred over uneven terrain and need to use them to stabilize your ankle. This could result in ending your day short or putting you out of commission the following day(s) as you have to nurse these hurting puppies. Anyone who is a runner, this is the same group of muscle you injure with shin splints. This a nagging injury! "
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@johnE, thankyou for these vgrewt tips. I too often get burning shins, so I looked it up on www.the skimonstr.com....here is a snippet...."So what's happening to your shins when you ski? What is Shin Bang? My college roommate, Andrew Horton, the other one that didn't help me start this thing that's now known as theskimonster.com became a Doctor of Physical Therapy. He came by and we talked about shin bang, here is the deal.

"To understand shin bang lets talk about ankle anatomy and ankle biomechanics during skiing. The group of muscles in the front of your shin are your dorsiflexors and the muscles behind your shin are your plantar flexors. The function of your dorsiflexors when skiing is to prevent you from falling backwards. Now if you are skiing in the backseat you are constantly using your dorsiflexors to prevent you from falling backwards. If you spend a whole day skiing or landing in the backseat, you end up putting a constant load on your dorsiflexors. You make them work overtime and put them at risk for strain. That constant load you put on through your dorsiflexors can cause them to become inflamed and very tender to touch. Then combine that of the pressure of them constantly rubbing on the front of the boot as you shred over uneven terrain and need to use them to stabilize your ankle. This could result in ending your day short or putting you out of commission the following day(s) as you have to nurse these hurting puppies. Anyone who is a runner, this is the same group of muscle you injure with shin splints. This a nagging injury! "
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@SimonW hi, as a general help try Pilates or something similar, if you can.

I have (amongst other things) sciatica and doc suggested pilates to hold the "core" together better.

It has helped both my skiing and cycling: I do a class at my gym, but in the past I've used the "Skilates" DVD in the weeks leading up to a trip.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
try this...

http://youtube.com/v/bjbiZdxowCc
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi @SimonW, in addition to the above thoughts, do you do any stretching after skiing? You can find videos on YouTube - Warren Smith demonstrates some in full ski kit on the slope which are really useful. I'd also recommend regular pilates or yoga to maintain suppleness and core strength. Skiing is rather intense on certain muscles and this can create unbalanced tensions on joints like knees and hips. If I don't keep up daily yoga, I can feel the difference. In stretching and yoga though don't go beyond the point of discomfort.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
great vid above with Telemark workout. Thankyou. I just ordered €10 delivered step set from eBay. Hope I will still be thankful the next day after starting this.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ozibird, first day after the first time I tried it I couldn't walk Embarassed
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

a muscle sort of outside at the top (under the trouser pockets) started ache like hell. It took a few weeks to recover. I can't seem to find a way to work this area. Any ideas?

Hip Flexors? I've sometimes suffered from a tight/aching hip flexors after skiing (although not to your degree). I found some hip flexor stretches chucked into my after ski stretches helped a lot.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy