Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Long weekend Thurs night to Tuesday

Poster: A snowHead
Four of us (two couples) are trying to plan a long ski weekend in January (any weekend after New Year), but I teach Wed to Fri, so we are looking for a place to stay from Thursday evening (I can just about manage to get one Friday off by swapping a day with a colleague) through until Tuesday. To get in the most amount of skiing, we are looking at resorts close to Geneva. I am having trouble finding a nice chalet/hotel that will accommodate us from Thurs to Tuesday - ideally in PdS or Grand Massif (have done La Clusaz several times, so are looking for somewhere different within an hour or two of Geneva). Can any of you suggest anywhere for us? Many thanks. Fiona
P.S. Any suggestions for transfer companies also gratefully received. Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@FionaG,

Don't worry you WILL find accommodation at that time of year over a long weekend but my suggestion is leave it late.
I've been skiing for a long weekend every January for 20 years and there is always plenty of room to stay but the issue is that hoteliers are reluctant to book a long time in advance because they RISK missing two whole weeks of bookings for 4 nights. Once you get nearer the time (November/December) and they've realised that they still have x rooms available and they won't be able to book them all they are ready to cut their losses.

So I'd book the flights to GVA now and book rooms later.

On transfers - four four of you for four nights at that time of year I'd really suggest hiring a car - think it will be cheaper. We always get a car. Probably worth booking that too.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@FionaG, Have a look at http://mountainsunltd.com/home/ Pick up and drop off every evening at Geneva airport included so ideal for a long weekend break. (I have a vested interest - will be hosting Chalet Mazot in Les Coches for the season.)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try staying in Cluses and getting the bus upto Flaine everyday if you cannot find anything more convenient.

I will almost certainly have at least one weekend in Les Arcs this winter.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you are up for the car hire option it will provide so much more flexibility.

Use of a car means you can stay in valley towns - for cheaper accommodation, food and drink - and take your pick from wherever snow conditions are best.

We've stayed in Sallanches (Ibis Hotel - book any duration online now) & skied Chamonix, Lea Houches and ComblouX easily from there; and Cluses for La Clusaz and Portes du Soleil resorts.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Switzerland, Austria, Italy and Germany are much more weekend-friendly. Go there.

Or the Vosges mountains in France.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What @jedster, said. Or, http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/rude-lodge.en-gb.html?label=gen173nr-1FCAEoggJCAlhYSDNiBW5vcmVmaCyIAQOYAS64AQfIAQ3YAQHoAQH4AQuoAgM;sid=7bd9b9ace1bcef4d828fd21f7b5b7b5a;checkin=2017-01-12;checkout=2017-01-17;dist=0;group_adults=2;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;srfid=813490f22f429ba380486a2d6865bed2fa1b9a08X13;type=total;ucfs=1&
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.milkhotel.fr/en/welcome-6.html these in les carroz have had a good reputation historically .

http://www.aero1607.com Samoens 1600 - food here very good.

http://totem.terminal-neige.com/fr/#!hotel-flaine/sejour-montagne - new trendy place in Flaine .
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
and forgot these http://gomassif.com for transfers
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@FionaG, CGH chalet de Jouvance or the new leana do long weekends in January if you want to do self catering (quite a few restaurants as well) in les carroz
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've heard good things about these guys

https://chamonixallyear.com/
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another shout for Mountainsun http://mountainsunltd.com/home/

We have stayed with them three times, twice at Tignes and for a long weekend they are great. Fly into Geneva, they pick you up and take you to the chalet. We haven't stayed with them for about four years but from what I remember it's good value. Not the most luxurious (sorry Mountainsun), but for what you pay and what you get you can't go wrong. Great staff too which is always a bonus.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Also have a look at www.snostation.com
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We're returning to Hotel Le Delta in Le Grand Bornand next Easter - it was a recommendation by a fellow SH - and we really enjoyed it. A very short walk to the centre of town - recently renovated hotel with a gym and sauna and a cool outdoor hot-tub.

They have good on line booking and a minimum stay of three days. I picked Jan 12 to 17 for you and they have a choice of rooms €575 for 5 nights which I think is very good value.

http://www.hotel-delta74.com

Dave
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Milk Hotel in Les Carroz is very nice, good grub, nice people, piste side, and certainly do short breaks. For 4 of you, you might as well hire a car to get there. The other plus of that is that you can maximise ski time by not being beholden to transfer companies, get an early flight out, ski from late morning on day one, and at the end ski all day and comfortably still get back to Geneva for a late flight back on the last day (easyjet GVA TO Gatwick last flight tends to be at 9.30/9.45pm for example and the drive is literally an hour)
latest report
Book flights book car and wait, you will get somewhere but waiting has the option of you may find some areas are a lot better for snow than others.
From Geneva there are masses of options that remain a short drive away including Switzerland and the closer Aosta valley resorts.
snow report
Sean at http://www.sixtalpinechalet.com/ has always been a top notch host and will usually accommodate weekends. He offers pick ups from Geneva too
ski holidays
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We are currently working through all the options and will let you know what we end up booking. Fiona Madeye-Smiley
snow report
I'd definitely hire a car, what about Morzine?
snow report
And please consider Lauterbrunnen, there is a total of 195km of skiing pistes to 3400m high in 3 ski fields.. Just over 2 hours from Zurich and Geneva. We have a carport if you hire a car, and a sauna Smile
snow report
Try grand massif very close for long weekends usually good snow. Its only 60 kms from Geneva so short and cheaper transfer times. 2 local transfers companies work from the villages gomassif.com and snow-vans.com offering private and shared transfers Flaine has self catered option where les Carroz, Morillon and Samones could offer catered chalets
ski holidays
You're doing the wrong nights though. Sat to Tuesday is a lot easier as you only block off a single week in hotel so will find getting accomodation easier. I realise you are losing a day there, no chance of taking a Wednesday off?
ski holidays
Unfortunately we can only do Thursday pm to Tuesday. I teach three days a week and cannot take the Wednesday off (I have to cover three classes across the day, so no way I can juggle things around). I am only getting the Friday off as I have swapped a day with a colleague and can get off earlier on the Thursday as the head owes me a couple of hours. It is a pain not being able to take leave during term time. We can't even go as a family at half-term this year as my daughter's school has moved their half term to the week after mine. Can't do Easter with family either as she her IB exams early May and will need to revised. Roll on retirement..... (Still some way off sadly).

We have got a few options and are just making a final decision. Will keep you posted.
ski holidays
What about Andorra? Flights to Barcelona are daily and cheap £44pp return for any Thur-Tues in Feb! If you stay in the City the hotels are much more flexible than the resorts. Grandvalira (via Encamp) and Vallnord are just 10-15min away by bus.

Transfer is about 2.5 hours only down side.

DK
snow report
Another shout for Mountainsun (I've stayed as a guest and then also worked for them for an Autumn in Tignes).

What Jedster said was spot on. Middle of January there will be availability all over Europe no prob. Book flights now then book accom a week before if your flexible.

For skiing the PdS, Chilly Powder offer very good quality and ski to the back door (I previously worked for them too mind).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy