Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where would you go if you had two months to spend in the Alps?

Poster: A snowHead
Summer’s over, and it’s time to make plans for skiing.

I’m planning well in advance. Mrs C and I are fortunate to have a skiing sabbatical pencilled in for Winter 2017-18, and we’re starting to plan now. I thought I’d use this Autumn as a dummy run for the real thing next year. We have eight weeks to take in January and February 2018. The criteria are:

• France or Italy
• A proper town or village
• Not necessarily ski in-out, but if not needs a frequent bus service back to the accommodation
• Within an hour and a half of a major airport
• Variety of skiing, including off piste and touring
• Good value

I know there are good reasons for choosing Austria, but we want to improve our French or Italian.

Cost is not the only criterion, but it is an important one. Lift pass and accommodation will be the major expenses, and I’ll open separate threads on season passes to try to provide a resource for other SHs planning similar trips.

So far, St Gervais, les Contamines and Samoens are on the possibilities list. I’m keen to get as much input as possible form the accumulated SHs knowledge. Please give reasons why you’re think your suggestions would be appropriate.

Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You might want to specify in your thread title
cos I'd have answered Austria.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Verbier.
Chamonix.
Lech.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Samoens.
Superb value season pass if purchased before mid December.
So much more than skiing to do in the winter.
Great shops and restaurants.
History and beautiful architecture.
Nr GVA.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chamonix
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Selva val Gardena / Ortosei / Canazei

very good touring possibilities / large area

1 1/2 hours to an airport is tight.d

A bit difficult with Italian in Val Gardena Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No brainier - chamonix
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Does that mean you'll not have a car while staying there or is the 1.5 hours from airport for people two visit you with some convenience?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I understand perfectly why Chamonix is being recommended. I love it, and have skied there at least once a year for the last 15 years (the clue's in my SH name wink ), but we're looking for something a little different. A little more relaxed, less full on, for mixed abilities.

@ski3, We'll have a car. We hope people will visit us for long weekends, and I don't want to spend all my time collecting people form the airport.

@Freestyle, Samoens is on the short list. I've never been there. I know it's an old village, but does it feel taken over by skiing, like a theme park, or does it still feel like a working village?

@Hyst, I know nothing about Selva. Can you tell me more? Which airport would you use?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If not Austria, then the Dolomites.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bourg St Mourice if you will have a car arround
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chamcham wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I understand perfectly why Chamonix is being recommended. I love it, and have skied there at least once a year for the last 15 years (the clue's in my SH name wink ), but we're looking for something a little different. A little more relaxed, less full on, for mixed abilities.

@ski3, We'll have a car. We hope people will visit us for long weekends, and I don't want to spend all my time collecting people form the airport.

@Freestyle, Samoens is on the short list. I've never been there. I know it's an old village, but does it feel taken over by skiing, like a theme park, or does it still feel like a working village?

@Hyst, I know nothing about Selva. Can you tell me more? Which airport would you use?

I would use Insnbruck (if you hire a car), but there has been some problem with a skitransferbus ( don't know what next season will bring) and the transfer was out off service last year I think.

Otherwice look her:

http://www.valgardena.it/en/holidays/val-gardena-advice/before-arriving/arrival/transfer/

(We usually go by car from Copenhagen).

And look at Val Gardena as a hole - Ortosei, St. Christina and Selva (Ortosei is a "real town" Selva is nice but very Ski in winter. (German speaking area in Italy)

Have a look at Canazei as well - this is a more italian speaking area. (but also the local language "Ladinic".)

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 18-09-16 11:26; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Argentiere
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Briancon/Serre Chevalier? It's just over an hour and a half from Chambery.

It must be good for off-piste as the Off-Piste Bash goes there!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@HoneyBunny, Briancon is a possibility. Is there a lift that links into the rest of SC in the town itself?
@Hyst, Thanks for your comments - I'll look into those options.
snow conditions
Samoens doesn't have a lot to it bars and resto wise.
latest report
Davos
ski holidays
@Chamcham, what do you define as a "proper" town? Somewhere like Champoluc meets your criteria but isn't a huge town, however the skiing, touring and off piste potential are pretty special!
latest report
Hyst wrote:
Chamcham wrote:

I would use Insnbruck (if you hire a car), but there has been some problem with a skitransferbus ( don't know what next season will bring) and the transfer was out off service last year I think.

Treviso is close with a regular and cheap bus transfers. The Dolomites certainly offers the most skiing under one pass and the opportunity to visit lots of towns/villagees. Your Chamonix pedigree leads me to believe you could be a bit of a gnarly/powderhead in which case the Aosta valley might be better. The southern French Alps are certainly delightful - Serre-Che, Risoul, Barcelonette, Montgeneve - La Grave etc.

Otherwice look her:

http://www.valgardena.it/en/holidays/val-gardena-advice/before-arriving/arrival/transfer/

(We usually go by car from Copenhagen).

And look at Val Gardena as a hole - Ortosei, St. Christina and Selva (Ortosei is a "real town" Selva is nice but very Ski in winter. (German speaking area in Italy)

Have a look at Canazei as well - this is a more italian speaking area. (but also the local language "Ladinic".)
snow report
By 'theme park', do you mean queues?
There is a general busy time to get to the ski lessons in the morning.
I think that Samoens is definitely still got a sense of community which doesn't close down out of ski season.
I'd also echo Briancon - bigger than Samoens but smaller than Chamonix so that could be added to your list.
FS
snow report
@Chamcham, Yes, Briancon has a lift -- Prorel -- as well as buses to the rest of SC.

My memory of the town is that it's not entirely flat so that may focus accommodation choices if you want to walk to/from the lift easily.
snow conditions
@mtsuit, Thanks
@Freestyle, By theme park I mean that it feels like a place that is there solely for skiing, and has no life beyond that. This applies to all most of the purpose-built ski in/out places. You hit the nail on the head, by saying Samoens has a sense of community, so therefore not a theme park. It needs things like churches, schools, newsagents, ironmongers etc.
latest report
Interestingly, according to my definition, @Markymark29' s Argentiere has that.
snow report
Matwall and I have very similar ideas for winter 2017/18 and we have our eyes on Briançon. Same sort of preference for a real place where we can improve our French language skills and actually feel like we're living in a different country for a while.
ski holidays
Brides les Bains.

www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=126886#2930832

read this, it may help with the budget

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 16-04-17 18:45; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Incidentally I have every intention of bus/drive to the slopes each day from Briançon. The places close to the Prorel lift aren't very attractive. I would much prefer being in the old town, even at the expense of a bit of faffing.

From my holiday experience in January the skibuses appear to be pretty good, and it means you can start your day from various places along the valley depending on what you've got planned. But I'm told it's well worth having a car to go to La Grave, Montgenevre, etc.
snow conditions
Chamonix ticks your boxes. Good chance of finding affordable accommodation. Variety of skiing

Vallee Blanche. Blue

Visit Les Contamines Very Happy
ski holidays
@Chamcham, I see one of your initial options was Sint Gervais, I love it but for some reason it doesn't get a lot of press on SH, it has all on your list and there is a direct bus to Geneva airport every 2 hours for your guests, bus takes 1.15 hours
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Le Carroz comes to mind, as does La Clusaz and its area. I mean, really, there are too many places to suggest!

Aosta? Pila on doorstep, roadtrips to many fine places, proper town, French and Italian spoken.
snow report
Having lived (not just done a season) in Les contamines, chamonix, les carroz and morillon i think if i were going for an extended break I'd head toward les deux alpes or alpe d'huez.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
Aosta? Pila on doorstep, roadtrips to many fine places, proper town, French and Italian spoken.
+1. Gondola from Aosta up to Pila, easy drive to Cervinia (and across to Zermatt), Courmeyer, Gressoney, Champolouc, etc.

Bourg St Maurice mostly fits the bill (if you use Chambery as your local airport), and is in the middle of a huge amount of ski terrain, with a 7 minute funicular ride to Les Arcs/La Plagne, plus drivable to many more places.
snow conditions
Bourg St Maurice - proper town, get guests to come by Eurostar and you don't have to drive to see them snowHead
Funicular to les Arcs/Paradiski. Drive to Espace Killy or Trois Vallee or La Rosiere/Italy, Ste Foy etc etc
Plus shortish drive to Albertville for a big shop...
Chambery around an hour +, Annecy an hour +, Grenoble 1.5 hours Lyon - two hours Geneva - 2 hours ...Can be much more or less!

www.edenski for discounted Paradise season pass - usually from beginning of October.

also have a look at

https://www.skialacarte.fr/FrontOffice/
ski holidays
Aosta +1.

Also consider St Jean de Maurienne. You'd need a car but there is a wide variety of small resorts within easy reach. It's the 'capital' of the Maurienne valley so it's a real town with a huge sports centre and Opinel museum etc.
latest report
Lots of food for thought.

@under a new name, Aosta sound interesting. Which airport would you use? Turin or Geneva via MB tunnel?

@rob@rar, Interseting to see you recommending Aosta too, given that you're les Arcs based. Why do you think that?

@rob@rar, @boredsurfin, BSM's too far from the airport, and Eurostar's only good for week long guests.

@marcellus, Why LDA or AdH? Aren't they a bit lacking in character as towns, more of a ski factory? My natural inclination is to err more to your usual area around Mont Blanc, so I'm surprised to hear that you recommending the others. Why's that?
snow report
@altis, Which airport for Maurienne, TRN or GVA/LYS?
snow report
@davidof, I'd assumed Davos would be expensive for an extended stay?
snow conditions
@Chamcham, Chambery or Grenoble are nearest but Lyon and Geneva aren't that much sweat either. Turin is probably not much further than Chambery.

St Jean is also a TGV stop if that's your thing and the station is very close to the centre of town.
snow conditions
@altis, Thanks
ski holidays
@Chamcham, with a motorhome you could move around as the snow/crowds/feelings do.
latest report
Chamcham wrote:
@marcellus, Why LDA or AdH? Aren't they a bit lacking in character as towns, more of a ski factory? My natural inclination is to err more to your usual area around Mont Blanc, so I'm surprised to hear that you recommending the others. Why's that?

Over the past decade I've only done "working visits" to both probably 2/3 days each a season and have found the skiing to be really good, fidningnew runs each time and the resorts nicely laid out with a good variety of reasonable restaurants so would like to spend more time in either to better understand them, also possibly less "Skegness on the Piste" than a lot of other regions.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy