Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2016 - 2017

Poster: A snowHead
Winter season 2016 - 2017!

OK folks, time for the opening post for the coming season.

Yes it is that time of year. Some Les Arcs lifts open on 10 December 2016. Let us hope we have early snow this year!

Also some lifts on the La Plagne side of the Paradiski area open at the same time, but the Vanoise Express opens on the 17/12/2016. If you want to ski on the La Plagne side during the first week you will need to have a car.

The link below is now OPEN so you can get your lift passes online with the discount.

For short stays, 6 to 15 days you can get a discount online, but you must buy the pass before 30/10/2016. (Only Les Arcs OR La Plagne passes available for the first week. Full Paradiski passes start from the 17/12/2016)

For short stay visitors, the Carre Neige Daily Insurance is really cheap and does the same job as Carte Neige for season pass holders. Cost. 2.80 euro per day. http://carreneige.com/accueil.en.html

For season passes you get a discount online as long as you buy before the 30/11/2016. The best news is that despite the rumours last season it is now confirmed that we still get our free days in the other resorts as normal. You can use your Paradiski season pass in La Plagne during the first week, but you will have to drive over to that side.

Even if you have other Travel Insurance. I also always get the Season Carte Neige Insurance. It makes sure you will be rescued wherever you are skiing and gives some money for the local Les Arcs Ski Cub. Cost. 71.00 euro for season.
http://www.ffs.fr/federation/licence-carte-neige/garanties-dassurance

(For English PDF version. http://www.ffs.verspieren.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/IN-et-accident-report-carte-neige-license-2015-2016.pdf )

Follow the link below for all details and to order or recharge your pass.

http://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.ski/en/

If you are looking for other info about Les Arcs and the Paradiski area follow this link. Most of your questions can be answered on their web page. You can also give them a call as they speak good English.

http://en.lesarcs.com/

More news to follow as the winter season approaches.

Hope this info helps with your planning for the coming winter.

You can look at photos and read other details on my Les Arcs Winter facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

Hope to see old faces and meet new visitors this winter. If you have any questions about Les Arcs or the Paradiski area, please post your question here. If you prefer PM me on here or on my facebook page. I will always try and answer your questions, but it might not be straight away.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for the post @snowcrazy

Decisions, decisions decisions - would I ski in Les Arcs sufficiently this season to justify spending 642 euro on a season paradiski pass? The breakeven point is about 21 days but I think the "free summer pass" may just tip it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Roll on December 10th!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the links.
Do you know if there is something going on week starting Saturday 21st Jan? Accommodation we normally booked already pretty full so it looks we are going to need to change our dates this year@snowcrazy,
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looking forward to spending a week, perhaps two in Pardiski again this winter.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyone visiting Bourg make sure to pay a visit to the new Cherry Garden restaurant, fantastic Asian food.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks @snowcrazy for the information, we're in 1950 in March so will def looking at booking these passes soon. I'm hoping for a lift in exchange rates before pulling the trigger but will be mindful of the discount dates.

Couple of questions:

We're a family of 4, early intermediates, enjoyed Alpe D'Huez and did mostly their blues. I wasn't planning on buying the full area pass as the Les Arcs area looks plenty for us, is this sensible or will I be missing out on anything amazing by not getting the full area ? I know its only 100 EUR difference (8 days) but with lessons the price is stacking up and I'm sure we'll be back the following year anyway. What do you guys n girls think ?

Second we're going on the overnight snow train so will be in Bourg at 6am. Is it worth getting breakfast, wake up food (I hope) in Bourg and get funicular later or should we head up to 1950 by taxi and get something there? Can anyone recommend anywhere in these places where they wont be upset when we trundle in with suitcases and ski bag?

I think (again hope) we can leave our bags in the accommodation reception but if anyone else has other suggestions that would also be great.

Very very excited about this holiday, our friends were in Les Arcs last year and they said it was one of the best areas they've skied.

Many thanks
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@djf,
we're now in our 13th year in 1950, LA and Paradiski and rarely have bought the full pass - there's more than enough to enjoy in either of the two resorts on their own. But we do suggest the 'Discovery' option which allows one day over in LP: have a look on the booking sites. A second day was, last year, a €38 uplift: if you need more than that, you've booked the wrong resort!
Ref your passes, you should think about the SamedijeSki option for your first and last days - half price tickets for the Saturdays (including funicular if you decide on that as a travel route over taxi) - search Snowheads for numerous discussions and information on both. Then get the 6 day pass for the in between. (SjS doesn't allow you to go to LP, so if you do want to head over on your last day, go for 1 samedi ticket an a 7 day Discovery pass)

If you do decide to head on up, (and frankly by the time you've unloaded, the train's a few minutes late, and you've got your head together, the 7:10 funicular doesn't seem all that far away! And while Bourg is nice, the mountains are really why you're there...) then we highly recommend the Wood Bear Cafe in 1950 for breakfast.
It's small, but they are used to bags (!) and he guys there are really friendly, will cook you the most delicious fried egg, salmon and whatever-you-want bagels, to go with the coffee/ chocolate / juice / brownies /croissants and, for 1950, the prices are not at all outrageous. We do it as a regular "now the holiday has really started" moment.

Or there's the Brasserie, which for €20 (ish...) is 'all you can eat'... one visit to the hot counter only, but as many croissants pasties coffee & juice as you feel is appropriate.

Each of the receptions will allow a bag dump, and indeed have changing areas (I wouldn't call them "facilities", but we seem to manage ok!) so you can get on the slopes certainly by mid morning: once you've ID'd your block, got the rentals sorted, found your gloves, checked the lift system, remembered where the goggles are, gone back for additional sun cream...

Enjoy! (and do feel free to ask more about 1950 & the area via this thread - a lot of people here know a lot about it... )
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
djf wrote:
We're a family of 4, early intermediates, enjoyed Alpe D'Huez and did mostly their blues. I wasn't planning on buying the full area pass as the Les Arcs area looks plenty for us, is this sensible or will I be missing out on anything amazing by not getting the full area ? I know its only 100 EUR difference (8 days) but with lessons the price is stacking up and I'm sure we'll be back the following year anyway. What do you guys n girls think ?

For ~ £3.50 per person per day why wouldn't you. The cost, in the context of your whole spend on the trip is minimal.

That said as first timers and early intermediates maybe the one day that you get gratis would suffice this time around.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@djf, We own a place in 2000. If you are intermediates then buying a Paradski is insanity. I say that as someone who has bought and we do still but we know the area really well so know how to not waste time. 1950 (and 2000) is a great location to scoot around Les Arcs, get back in for a cheaper lunch and head back out again. I think this years Les Arcs pass gives you one day across anyway. Its actually a long hike across in La Plagne from the Vanoise to the good skiing and you don't know the lifts. Your call but imo a waste of your money.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you decide to wait for the first Funi up the mountain then you are really limited to only Bazoom at that time of the morning. Fortunately it's right opposite the main station building and will serve happily serve some breakfast and allow you to bring all luggage inside with you.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LA PLAGNE
Exceptional offer for the skipasses from 3 to 15 days in a row :
La plagne 1 day of ski in Paradiski offered during the validity of the skipass (as of 17/12/16)
http://winter.la-plagne.com/ski/prices/prices-for-skiing.html

I don't know if Les Arcs passes will include one day in The Ski Paradise that is La Plagne Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
djf wrote:

Second we're going on the overnight snow train so will be in Bourg at 6am. Is it worth getting breakfast, wake up food (I hope) in Bourg and get funicular later or should we head up to 1950 by taxi and get something there? Can anyone recommend anywhere in these places where they wont be upset when we trundle in with suitcases and ski bag?

Being boringly pragmatic for a second. We've done 1st funi up a few times on overnight couchettte. Boring considerations Its a longish walk from the train to the funi, heavy bags and young kids are not a good mix. The 1950 1st bus leaves after the 2nd funi gets up, so that involves 20 mins or so waiting on a bus in 1600, not fun after a night sat in a chair on a train. If you buy your lift pass in advance then the funi is free on arrival as its part of the lift pass price, though if you buy the 1/2 day lift price it may not be included...All in all for 4 of you then getting a taxi up after a crap nights sleep on the eurostar will be the lazy and easy option. Don't buy paradski and use that money. Also make sure the place you are staying knows you are arriving early, they will help in putting your luggage somewhere safe, also who knows, maybe the apartment you are taking wasn't used the week before or maybe they will service your 1st. Smile, be very nice to them and they will try help.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
like @Arctic Roll, and @thefatcontroller, I own a place in Les Arcs. On a very few occaisions I have bought a restricted area pass (Arc1600, 1800 and Vallandry) on the advice of the ladies in the lift pass office telling me that a lot of the 2000 bowl is closed due to bad weather. Most of the time I buy a full area Les Arcs pass, which is what I advise. Very occaisionally I will buy a paradiski pass. To be honest there is plenty of good skiing in Les Arcs for 8 days or more.

For breakfast its 6 of one half dozen of the other. Having my own place means I usually go there for breakfast buying stuff on the way, but I have used the large pizza place near the station a few times and they are good.
snow report
@boredsurfin, looks as if it does apply - ie standard passes from 3 - 15 days now include 1 day in the 'other' resort, whichever you start in.

Which is significantly more flexible than before - I re-found the discussion on last year's thread about how people with only 4 day passes couldn't do it on "decouverte", & had to buy an extension. Who knows - maybe the tourist board listened!
Of course, I guess the base price will now reflect this 'free and inclusive' deal... wink

@thefatcontroller, SamedijeSki(e) does (did?) include the funi.
Last year IIRC, 7 day paradiski tickets were including a 'free' 1/2 day afternoon, on the day before they officially started - so they probably wouldn't have included the funicular.

All this talk of snow while the sun blazes unseasonably hot for September is getting the juices flowing... love it!
ski holidays
i've been there for xmas last 3-4 years. last couple i think i gave up on skiing the hills were so bare. read a book or something.

Xmas eve in 1950 is a good laugh, zip wiring santas and acrobats and stuff.
snow conditions
thefatcontroller wrote:
If you are intermediates then buying a Paradski is insanity.

I don't think that is necessarily true. If you are one of the villages close to the VE on either side (as we do) then you can choose to go either way of a morning. Another good reason is that if the snow isn't great and so you are restricted they keep the VE links open so you've still got the high terrain on each side to explore. Either of these would apply to intermediates as much as anyone else.

However, I agree for for djf staying in 1950, a first timer in the area and with the free day already thrown in it's probably not worth it even at the relatively small cost.
latest report
Thanks all that's really great information, much appreciated.

I've been searching and reading up on samedijeskie although I haven't figured out if I need 4 vouchers for a family or one and buy all tickets with that. Also, is there a risk the vouchers wont be there and I'll have to pay full price.

If its 50% discount on the day then we're looking at 90 EUR per sat, therefore total cost 830+180 = 1010EUR

If I book 8 days straight then its 1086EUR, so 76EUR more expensive. hmm food for thought although I'd be a little nervous about risk. I know I'm thinking about saving money but would be worried about finding voucher doesn't work and I'm 110 over. Will continue to research this option, many thanks.

Interesting I was searching for samedijeskie on here and found another post pretty much asking the same question as me Embarassed

I think I will go for the "Arcs / Peisey-Vallandry", I'm assuming this is the main Les Arcs area (although its not clear and @johnE's comment looks like there is a 3rd). I think you're right @thefatcontroller at our level we're probably going to be wasting money. Ok cool, that's 80 EUR back Very Happy

My kids aren't too small 14 and 10 so the walk will be ok but the flip side is 14 is a teenager so .... yeah easy might be the way to go. I really like the idea though of the funicular but then I'm a tad more enthusiastic (aka annoying dad). Checking google maps the walk is about 10 minutes, I recon that is probably ok. However, I think taxi is a good idea, especially if it means we get there a little quicker. Funny enough you were right @thefatcontroller as snow taxi quotes that at 70EUR. I'll get a feel from the others what they want to do but I do think what a cool experience the funicular will be.

Thanks for info @Arctic Roll on the Wood Bear Cafe and @wills_h for Bazoom which had some nice comments. Wood Bear Cafe looks to open at 8:30 am according to one site but that might be summer times. I'll drop them a line and see, my wife was quite excited about your description sounds nice.

@Arctic Roll i'll check out that 1/2 day ski as that is another interesting option. I guess it depends how quickly we can get ski's, board and boots for the kids.

That's another point, do you guys have any favorite ski hire shops and are there any deals/discounts I should look for ? Its only for the kids so probably not expecting they'll be much.

We're staying in Hameau du Glacier and the apartment owner has said that we can store bags with reception but I think you're right I should check with them also first.

Thanks again all, great highly informative information Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

I'll get a feel from the others what they want to do but I do think what a cool experience the funicular will be.

If you want to expereince the funicular then go down to Bourg one evening or ski down to La Grange and get teh funicular from there.
latest report
@johnE have you been speaking to my family Very Happy
snow report
@djf, yes Arcs/Peisey Vallendry is the whole of the LA domain.

SjS vouchers are now e-vouchers ("C21st hits France" shocker) so as long as you've got your mobile charged, just flash the QR code that you've been emailed to them (at the funi station or when arriving in 1950) and jobs a good'un. ( Or forward the email to everyone in your party so at least one of you has it available! Or print out one version at home to take with you as backup...)
IIRC it covered 6 passes last year.

(True story: 4 years ago at Bourg we were asked to go and photocopy the bit of paper across the road 3 further times...wtf? It even said: "good for 4 passes". I asked her to copy it on the machine at her elbow, or just scan the damn barcode 4 times, but apparently back the day, 4 passes needed 4 bits of paper, and it was a De Gaullean 'non!' to a request for common sense. Things have thankfully improved.)

Pretty sure I've been in Wood Bear well before 8 (and well after midnight, but that was a lock-in, and a totally different story... )

HdG has a large locked room downstairs from the reception for storing your bags: they'll give you a temporary early room key which will open it. Many people change in there too, but there are WC's available for the less brazen.

Hire shops can generally all be traced back to cartel ownership ( wink ) so go online for discounts. Skimium if you have a Decathlon card, otherwise usual suspects twinner, snowrental.co.uk, snowbrainer, etc all work fine.

Or if you want a very personal service, then try the Equilibres guys up at 2000: http://www.equilibres-arc2000.fr/ which is where we (& many other owners) buy our skis and get them serviced. Know what they are doing, extremely well priced, and dammit, always able to sucker Mrs Roll and mini roll into buying just one more thing...

As above, if you let them know your arrival time, then they should be able to get you into your apartment early. Sounds as if you are going through a direct booking rather than via PnV, so depending on who is in charge of the change-over, you ought to be able to beat the early evening rush.
latest report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

I'll get a feel from the others what they want to do but I do think what a cool experience the funicular will be.

If you want to expereince the funicular then go down to Bourg one evening or ski down to La Grange and get teh funicular from there.

From 1950 there are free buses that meet the funi so heading down to Bourg is easy and also you are there in March so nights are longer but bear in mind that the funi is a relatively long walk out of Bourg, don't have any aspirations to do a heavy shop, but yes agreed, I am a sad train boy, I like the funi. Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
If you are intermediates then buying a Paradski is insanity.

I don't think that is necessarily true. If you are one of the villages close to the VE on either side (as we do) then you can choose to go either way of a morning. Another good reason is that if the snow isn't great and so you are restricted they keep the VE links open so you've still got the high terrain on each side to explore. Either of these would apply to intermediates as much as anyone else.

However, I agree for for djf staying in 1950, a first timer in the area and with the free day already thrown in it's probably not worth it even at the relatively small cost.

Potentially but would still argue that is the snow is crap its a long trek in La Plagne to the good high snow and if you don't know the area then that takes time to figure out. The links are good but they bringing you nowhere near on the La Plagne side where you want to really get to and if its cold you will be frozen by the time you get to the higher areas. That brings the discussion about some longer term plans in La Pagne to change the chairs around the Vanoise. The La Plagne side of the Vanoise just doesnt work for me anymore, get bored, too many irrelevant lifts.

Again my view is my own, huge fan of Paradski, our favorite run is from the top of Areptte lift to Montchavin, nice nice it is heaven but reality is it is marketing, both areas in their own right offer great skiiing.
ski holidays
+1 for the Wood Bear Café
L'Hameau does a cooked brekkie as well
The bakery does fresh baguettes, croissants, coffee, sandwiches and very naughty cakes, and is open from 7 a.m, maybe be even a bit earlier (but you may have to sit outside)
There is a free shuttle from Bourg Stn to the funicular
snow report
Quote:

The La Plagne side of the Vanoise just doesnt work for me anymore, get bored, too many irrelevant lifts.

I get very bored on the tedious ski back down to the Vanoise Express from La Plagne rather than the lifts up which IMHO aren't too bad. My son is insisting we do the corners of Paradiski next season: Villaroger, the grand col, Bellecote, Champagny and Montalbert so it looks as if we will be heading for an early lift one day. I think just managing Villaroger and Champagny in one day will be fairly good. What is the general concensus?

Back to the funicular, my nephew's wife suffers terribly from travel sickness and even finds the coach up the mountain a bit of a strain so for her it is the funicular every time. But then our apartment is in 1600 so it is just a stroll though the village stopping at the bakery on the way.
snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:
Potentially but would still argue that is the snow is crap its a long trek in La Plagne to the good high snow and if you don't know the area then that takes time to figure out. The links are good but they bringing you nowhere near on the La Plagne side where you want to really get to and if its cold you will be frozen by the time you get to the higher areas. That brings the discussion about some longer term plans in La Pagne to change the chairs around the Vanoise. The La Plagne side of the Vanoise just doesnt work for me anymore, get bored, too many irrelevant lifts.

Again my view is my own, huge fan of Paradski, our favorite run is from the top of Areptte lift to Montchavin, nice nice it is heaven but reality is it is marketing, both areas in their own right offer great skiiing.

When we were pushed we got from the top of the Arcabulle to the Vanoise in 20 minutes (that is with a 10 & 8 year old). Three lifts and you can be at the heart of the La Plagne skiing in Bellecote. Similar story the other way. From the Arpette down to the Vanoise in one hit, over the Vanoise and with three lifts you are at the top of the Arcabulle.

There is great skiing and especially tree skiing immediately either side of the Vanoise. The skiing above Les Coches is great in it's own right. As we stay there we are often skiing there for the last hour or so - and we love it - that is why we keep going back. And the outer reaches of both areas have lots to explore. It's certainly not marketing for me. In fact I would say categorically if it wasn't for the Vanoise we wouldn't be going as often as we do. It trumps other resorts because of it IMO.
snow report
johnE wrote:
I get very bored on the tedious ski back down to the Vanoise Express from La Plagne rather than the lifts up which IMHO aren't too bad.

There are quite a few variations, especially if you are prepared to lift back up on the Plan Bois in Les Coches. Maybe head back slightly earlier and explore.

johnE wrote:
My son is insisting we do the corners of Paradiski next season: Villaroger, the grand col, Bellecote, Champagny and Montalbert so it looks as if we will be heading for an early lift one day. I think just managing Villaroger and Champagny in one day will be fairly good. What is the general concensus?

He wants to do it all that in one day? It's perfectly possible I reckon as long as you don't hang around an plan right. Just be aware of the clock and bail out if it isn't happening. Make sure it's a good day weather wise.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @Arctic Roll so it sounds like those vouchers are a pretty safe bet then. Ok ta I will seriously consider that then. I love the four printouts, I'm so going to do that just in case!

Thanks for the info about the building too, very excited. The owners family are going to be there on that day so we might be lucky with early in too. Thanks for the tip on the ski shop, not sure I want to go and see new skis I'm currently waiting for my next set to arrive from spyderjon. Equilibres sounds like a good place to go, I'll see what the options are for getting there from 1950, doesn't look very far on the map.

Ok so I think I'm sorted on my main questions now I'm going to browse threads for recommended runs for early ints.

Thanks all for your input, very much appreciated.
latest report
Thanks for the info. so far, first trip to Les Arcs next Feb. so trying to do my research in order to prevent some expensive mistakes...
We're staying at Les Arcs 1800 and I am looking for a decent ski school for my two kids age 12 and 10.
This will be their third ski trip (Bansko and Samoens) and both are decent skiers managing to get down some cheeky reds last season so would like to continue their tuition with a quality English speaking ski school.
I read some poor reviews relating to ESF prior to our trip to Samoens last year so I was wondering if ESF are universally bad or whether it was just the instructors in the Grand Massif who had the poor reviews ?
Any recommendations would be gratefully received.
Thanks.
latest report
We've used ESI Arc Adventures in 1800 for the last couple of seasons and found them to be good - we have two aged 8 & 6. All the instructors speak English, generally the groups seem to be a mix of English, French and Belgians.
snow report
Thanks for the tip.
I'll check out their website and let you know how we get on.
Thanks again !
snow report
I have used Arc Adventures off piste guides, canyoning guides, rafting guides and parapointers and they have always been very good and friendly.
snow conditions
Quote:
I read some poor reviews relating to ESF prior to our trip to Samoens last year so I was wondering if ESF are universally bad or whether it was just the instructors in the Grand Massif who had the poor reviews ?

Not that I use ski schools but just as a general point from reading posts on here, ESF is a franchise business and the service does vary. IIRC for example the owner of the Ste Foy runs a good show. But whatever, with ski schools it's always better to work of recommendations.
latest report
Regarding the walk to the funicular. Last winter they were running connecting buses from the funicular to the station on the Saturday. I know they were running because I saw them, but I could never find a timetable.
ski holidays
Lovely to wake up to. Winter is on its way.

snow report
AndrewsPeppers wrote:
Regarding the walk to the funicular. Last winter they were running connecting buses from the funicular to the station on the Saturday. I know they were running because I saw them, but I could never find a timetable.

But if you end up at the back of your train then the stairs are too tempting as the platform is a mile long! There was talk of a lift by the back end of the station onto the overhead stairs?
latest report
Spectacular clouds in the valley this morning.
snow report
This is the latest development up in Arc 2000. Opening December this year, owned by Chalet Des Neiges Group

http://www.hotel-tajimah.com/en/
snow report
Didnt realise it was only opening this year as had seen it in some package offerings. Might be worth another look if it will be shiny and new and not a old tired place, assuming that there isnt too much snagging to do while the first guests suffer.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy