Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2016/17 (Useful links in Post 1).

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at the webcams Le Lac has had a blanket of white overnight, Les Brev not so much.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just going out in Le Lac. Snow on roads slushy. Report later
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mark1863, thanks, hope you find some good stuff. Webcams showing snow on roofs down in 1800 but poor vis higher up Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
40cm in Fornet, 25cm on Bellevarde. Still chucking it down in Val.

Trying to convince myself to go out in it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

It's got heavier since I put my gear on.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It is heavy and rather unpleasant with the low viz. The beginners and low intermediates are finding it very difficult. The Motte is shut due to strong winds. Assume same applies to the Val glacier. Those will be the places to go once things settle down
Sleet sometimes but mostly snow. Bit gritty and sticky on your goggles. Went down to La Daille to get some horizon. Heavy on slush/ice base.
Abandoned for the day. Here for a while so no point in killing myself first day.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mark1863, thanks, sounds 'character building'. Forecast looks much better for rest of week. We're arriving Tuesday and hoping for decent conditions, at least above 2000m Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It has been snowing/sleeting all day in Le Lac, but we have just had a very heavy snow shower (about 5.30pm) so lets hope that continues for a bit. I popped out about 1.30pm for a short while, I got as high as 2747m (where was I?) where the snow was still damp and melting off the chairlift and onto my helmet. Of course, it will depend on what happens tonight as to the quality of the snow off piste in the morning. But the pistes above 2000m should be good as the depth will have improved, lower down - debateable as it has been drizzle in Brevieres all day. so can't have improved things.

Tomorrow will be a much nicer day, the snow will stop this evening sometime, the wind will drop by breakfast time and the sun will come out. The clouds will build on the peaks and may get big enough to give a light shower or two, but nothing to spoil the day. It will be cooler than last week. Tuesday will be pretty much the same as Monday. Wednesday will start clear and sunny with a few fluffy clouds on the mountain tops later. Thursday will be similar, but some forecasts are tending to very strong winds and others aren't!

The avalanche risk will be 3 tomorrow, expect a progressive opening of the resorts, especially on the glaciers. There has just been some blasting as I type, so quite a lot of work for the pisteurs I think. Hopefully the weather will be kind for "Live in Tignes" by FrancoFolies, there will be a variety of bands and disco sets from Val Claret, to Le Lac to the Marais plateau, full details on the Tignes website.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@chocksaway, thanks, great update.
Quote:

I got as high as 2747m (where was I?)

..top of Aiguille Percee (crouched behind the rocks)?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@intermediate, Tee Hee you are a metre out that's 2748 according to the free ride board.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We went out at lunch time and had a great time, playing off the sides from the Folie down. Boot deep and we loved it. By 3pm it had stopped snowing and at 4pm the sun was trying to peak through.

Left for Geneva at 5pm and saw that the precip was very much EK only.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What a day, blue skies, freshtracks and transforming snow! We woke to a beautiful day, the weather overnight had worked its magic on the snow and we were faced with many choices. The snow down to 2200m was about 30cm deep on average after it had settled off piste. I would call it medium weight, certainly not light and fluffy, especially on high where the wind had played a part too. The first run was off the side of Creux to test it out and then the Campanules slope. It was then the Col du Ves, where the snow on the north facing slopes was fab, but a number of British Families seemed to be determined to finish off their lids by sending them to some daft places! It sometimes amazes me what folks do on their holidays, when they would be soooo careful back home. Another lap of Ves was followed by the Palet drag, by now the sunny slopes were transforming rapidly. So it was up the Motte where thanks to the wind we didn't sink more than 5-10cm in the snow, still we were at the top of the pleasure scale. After lunch we attacked the north face of Borsat (it was a warm walk!). Very deep snow in good condition. And finally it was Lognan which had almost transformed into spring snow, which I think will be tomorrows game. All the pistes we used in between were in excellent condition, but we didn't go below 2100m

In other news a new route has been opened up down the Grande Casse, according to Le Dauphiné by a chap called Tardivel, the photos make me feel dizzy!

Tomorrows weather will be similar to today, there may be a bit more cloud abut on the peaks, there is a slim chance of a shower late in the afternoon and into the evening. Wednesday will again be mainly sunny with some clouds up high, Thursday looks similar but there is still the chance of a strong breeze at height. The sun will dominate for Friday and Saturday, the temperature will rise by 4 or 5 degs for Friday, those terraces are beckoning.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I endorse@chocksaway, comments. This morning especially was a treat. Golf, the between piste areas around aiguille percee lift, off genepi etc, etc. Little time spent between the batons.
After 2pm especially the heat started to stodge things up. High up on the morrow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chocksaway, "British Families seemed to be determined to finish off their lids"

Help - what does this mean? Coffin lids, helmets=lids - resisting the temptation to Google it ;o)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

@chocksaway, "British Families seemed to be determined to finish off their lids"

Help - what does this mean? Coffin lids, helmets=lids - resisting the temptation to Google it ;o)

I presume it was either a typo or rhyming slang - saucepan lids = kids.
latest report
@JimG2009, plain typo - kids methinks although i prefer the rhyming slang rendition.
snow conditions
Typo - kids soz! (We don't do rhyming slang in Yorkshire - too complex and a bit like poetry!!!!!).

Just amazed that a Dad could stand on a cornice and then tell his kids to traverse across a slope, the far half of which had already slipped........
latest report
Great day today.
I love soft spring snow and even better that my sons missing bag from easyJet arrived at 1am.

@chocksaway, A few other families about in the past 2 days that left brain cells at home.
Father losing it with a 6 year old in the bad weather on Sunday and telling her I've paid for a ski pass so we're going to ski, despite the kid being wet, crying and hating it. How to put a kid off for life rolling eyes

The Bollin and Fresse lift a mother managed to bring the bar down trapping a child's head out the side of the chair under the bar then shortly after that 2 pedestrian grandparents thought it was a good idea to put a 3year old over their shoulder like a sack of spuds when boarding the chair nearly dropping him backwards. The lady liftie was exasperated and I expect went home for a large glass of wine tonight.
snow conditions
@muppet, Yeah the DQ (dopiness quotient) seems to be particularly high this week. Not getting on chairs, stopping in the gates and in daft places on the pistes the list goes on. Added to that we have La Scara (effectively the World Cup for 13-15 yr olds) on the Bellvarde this week and as they move around the mountain they charge around with complete disregard for the safety of other with a contemptuous air, the organisers should be brought to task. But as in December, the only thing that matters to Val D'Isere is the racing, paying punters come a distinct second.

Anyway grump over. The snow had transformed dramatically since yesterday, it was distinctly heavy up in the Col du Ves. In other places it has yet to transform into spring snow, though there were bits around. This was mainly because the cloud appeared a bit early than we thought. It is now almost overcast. We did have a cruise down to La Daille for coffee, slushy but manageable and still deep and white. Being short on sympathy today we did not feel sort for the group coming down the closed Triffolet run, as they had to walk down 200m over the grass into the village! I had to come in early after I had promised to help a friend move furniture after some insurance work on his apartment.

We might get a few showers this evening, there are a few light ones kicking around the area according to the radar picture. Tomorrow will be similar to today, the cloud may thicken a bit earlier and the showers might start artound midday. The weather fronts are just drifting around and they are weak meaning its hard to pin down but there will be nothing dramatic. Thursday will start with sunny periods which will then disperse to leave a sunny afternoon, but the penalty is quite a strong breeze at altitude so it will feel a bit cooler. The wind will remain for Friday but the air will be 4 or 5 degrees warmer and it will be sunny all day, a good day to reapply the sun tan lotion! The weekend will be sunny and another couple of degrees warmer with little wind - its going to be a scorcher.
snow conditions
Quote:

The lady liftie was exasperated and I expect went home for a large glass of wine tonight.

Understatement of the season!
ski holidays
Oh, I forgot to mention, it must be spring the Marmottes are out of hibernation, I spotted 3 as we rode the Palafour!

That said, its snowing this morning Very Happy
snow conditions
The T-bar on the Val glacier has been shut since the snow on the weekend. Not sure why. This means as at yesterday afternoon the PdeD is largely untracked. May be worth a visit as only a short walk up the piste. The drag at the bottom was running. I was on my own so did not venture.
The slope left of the cugnai as you look from the bottom of the lift has avalanched big style. Nearly to the ground. I was a little surprised the lift was running as an unstable looking bit was left just above the track coming down from the top of the lift.
Sore hip and murky outlook means slow out of the blocks this morning.
latest report
Just looked out again. Looks like a white out and snow heavier. Skiing until 22nd so going to hold off. Few domestics to do. Report later.
snow conditions
It's been snowing all morning, about 10cm, now slowed down a little & a few bright spots.

Great powder skiing on a firm base Very Happy
latest report
A cheeky little trough of low pressure developed through the night which gave us a period of showers this morning, good news all round. So I set about some end of season tasks, just waiting for a coat of stain to dry before the next one! In the village we have had big crowds for 'Live in Tignes' the last 2 nights, an all round success by the looks of it.

The clouds will eventually clear overnight to leave a great day tomorrow, although there will be a sharp breeze at height. The sun will shine throughout Friday as well and the temperature will ramp up by 3 degrees or so, a warm spring day. Saturday will be similar but add another couple of degrees. Sunday and Monday will be equally as warm, but the clouds will bubble up in the afternoon, perhaps giving a light shower or two.
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
The clouds will eventually clear overnight to leave a great day tomorrow

The clouds cleared by 1.00pm wink and gave us a beautiful afternoon. Blue skies, fresh powder & some great skiing we didn't expect Very Happy

A little know fact is that Tignes has more snowfall in April than December Puzzled
snow report
@chocksaway, I assume you have a car in resort? How much do you pay for a season space?
ski holidays
@chrisrawles, €450 for an underground car park spave, this is the rate applicable for owners.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
how much Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
Yep, it's €500 for the underground car park in La Daille.
ski holidays
@chrisrawles, Yep. only €150 more than that gets me a lift pass for the season Puzzled
snow report
I have done PAYG.

My next trip puts me on 31 days this season. At approx €11.50 a day if I pre book, a season car park pass doesn't work for me. Plus I sometimes get one of the free places outside my apartment.

I've been thinking about buying a space in the private u/g car park in LD. Prices are around €20k. Rented out when I'm not there, it would soon pay for itself.
snow conditions
@chocksaway, Any thoughts on Sat/Sun/Mon afternoons? GFS this morning is showing beefy convective showers in the area upto 30mm+ accumulated precipitation over the weekend, as well as lots of cloud coverage. Latest yr.no update shows nothing more than a few clouds in the afternoons however. Quite a difference at such short range.

I'm going to be ski touring at altitude over the weekend so i'm hoping for clear mornings at least!
snow report
@musehead, See below, I think you are going to be OK, most of the cloud will be above the peaks as the high pressure seems to be building, fluffy build ups in the afternoon.

There was a hard refreeze last night so the pistes were very hard this morning, there was just a few clouds lower down the valley, but a cheeky breeze above 3000m. We headed over to Le Fornet and the Montets T Bar had opened, so a trip down Pays Desert was called for, the traverses were a mixed bag of all types of snow, but after a bit of a hike the last pitch was fabulous, untracked and about 10cm of fresh on top of a hard smooth layer. On the way home the north facing pistes were still hard, Rhone Alpes was really quite skaty, Face de Bellvarde was a mogulled slushfest!

Tomorrow will be like today, just 2 or 3 degrees warmer with less of a breeze. Nice afternoon for an end of holiday beer. Saturday will be sunny in the morning with just a few bubbly clouds in the afternoon, a little bit of respite for those in the traffic jams (they are forecasting 5000 more cars this weekend compared with last, look like next week will be busier up here as more and more tour ops shift folks up the hill). Sunday will be a repeat of Saturday (without the traffic). It looks like there will be a few more clouds around on Monday, but still plenty of sunny spells, Tuesday looks similar but a bit cooler.
snow report
Tour des Noires. All the Tignes Blacks today. I would recommend it. Pitch is helpful with the sludge for us small chaps. Sache has only a few days left. Silene there was no one on it - a pleasure. Golf - not a stone nor another skier in sight. Snow had transformed in places (e.g. on Aiguille P) and it was a very good day. Stopped about 3pm.
latest report
A short day for me as I had to descend to Bourg for the last shop of the season. So we went in search of spring snow and found it, both off the Palet Drag but particularly of Grand Huit, coming under the chairlift we wre gracefully descending over sublime spring snow.

On the way to Bourg I noticed that the old bridge at the end of the La Daille Gorge has emerged from the Lac du Chevril, if they continue to generate electricity at this rate we may soon be able to see the ancient village of Tignes. Down in Bourg it was beautiful and warm, al the cherry blossom is out and the grass is greening up, it will soon be summer down there.

Tomorrow morning will be much like today, but without the crowds! A few clouds will build in the afternoon, especially towards the Italian border. Sunday will be pretty much a carbon copy, but some of those clouds may build enough to give a light shower towards the end of the afternoon. Monday - same again but the showers may continue into the evening and through into Tuesday morning, when the temperature may drop 5 degrees or so. Order will be restored on Wednesday, a sunny and warm day.

For the travellers, the forecast is for 24000 vehicles full of suntanned people to go down the hill, (leave early or late) and 27000 will be coming on holiday. This is about 'mid range' for the number of vehicles so there will be some delays in all the usual places. Looks like a busy week on the pistes from Sunday. As the high pressure system is covering both the UK and the Alps it might be a bit misty anywhere early doors. The only fly in the ointment for flying is the chance of fog at any of the London airports, but it will soon clear so hopefully not too many delays. Its a bit of a lottery, but Gatwick looks most susceptible.
ski holidays
Last week was one of the best weeks of the season in Tignes Puzzled

Great weather, snowfall Sunday, 10-20cm of new snow mid week & fantastic skiing, both on & off piste.

Hopefully next week will be just as good Puzzled

Not sure where the thread is about skiing down to Brev on the 8th April but there is no problem NehNeh
snow report
Another fabulous day in Tignes but tinged with sadness for a lot of the expat community. We woke this morning to find that Ali had passed away last night after being inflicted by an aggressive cancer. Ali worked for a number of transfer companies over the years, but was probably best known for his bass playing in the Jam Bar on a Friday night with Rocco. His wife Yvonne also worked mornings in the Jam Bar until last season. He will be sadly missed by us all.

There was another hard frost last night under the cloudless skies, indeed the Face de Bellvarde was closed this morning while they waited for it to thaw a bit! A few clouds developed in the afternoon, but nothing to spoil the view. It was another day of searching for the spring snow, we had to wait a little longer today. However, because the Grattalu lift was having a day off due to mechanical gremlins it meant the Palet sector was blissfully quiet. Eventually the snow softened enough to have a couple of great runs under Grand Huit and then down from the eye of the needle. After that I disappeared off to the Altiport to the Aeroclub de Tignes 'portes ouvertes' (open day) where a collection of aircraft had flown in for a BBQ and a few (soft!) drinks. A really pleasant afternoon.

Tomorrow will be a carbon copy of today, there may be a few clouds over Le Fornet in the afternoon. And, guess what, Monday will be the same! There may be the odd shower through the night into Tuesday, the sky will be obscured by a thin veil of cloud in the morning, this will break in the afternoon. The sun will be back in force on Wednesday but a stiff breeze may pick up in the afternoon. Looks like sunny periods until the end of the week.

For those travelling tomorrow, it will be like today, a bit hazy and a slim chance of fog at Gatwick and Stansted (where the fog did appear this morning causing delays). Over here will be FAB (fine and beaut), the roads will be much quieter.
snow conditions
Now home in Ayrshire after another great stay.

Bourg was glorious on Friday evening on our way home via Geneva but the traffic head the other way was horrendous.
It was my only full week out of 5 skiing with both my 15 and 17 year olds at the same time this season so it was a great family trip. The early years of them learning in April soft snow has certainly paid off.
Anybody heading out soon the conditions are good for this time of year and I wouldn't have hesitated on staying on.

@bar shaker, regarding your parking we had 2 spaces with our apartment last week which you would have been welcome to abuse. Is there somewhere people could post offers/requests?
I hate things going to waste! The rules of throwing out all food/drinks from apartments when we leave drives me nuts.

@chocksaway, @stewart woodward, Thank you for the updates over the season. I have looked forward to and enjoyed them all.

Our final score for the week

People falling off lifts ( only counting getting on ) x 12
Guy in Val d'Isere main street in white bathrobe and slippers at 5pm x 1
The "muppet family award" went to the British gent who must have ignored the closed sign at the top of the Scara (OK/Orange) late one afternoon, skied down and didn't notice rolling eyes the 2 officials rolling up the bright blue net across the piste. He obviously got his skis caught and in the netting and proceeded to argue with the officials while retrieving them. It gave most of the people on the Marmottes lift a bit of entertainment.

Flights for a few trips are already booked for next year Very Happy
latest report
chocksaway wrote:

Tomorrow will be a carbon copy of today, there may be a few clouds over Le Fornet in the afternoon.

Some forecasts have Thunder this afternoon Puzzled but snow tonight Very Happy

RIP Ali, Hopefully you have gone to a place with powder every day.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy