Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2016/17 (Useful links in Post 1).

Poster: A snowHead
How heavy is the snowfall on the Chocksaway Scale?
Can you see the Bec Rouge and will we get a poubelle update later ?

Just back from 2 weeks in the 3 valleys and planning a return to Val d'Isere or Tignes in April so excited by the new snowfall.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@muppet, Very Heavy (not often that happens)
Barely seen the Bec Rouge all day (not that that's a bad thing wink )
I am sure the Poubelle Monitor will report shortly, although a lot will have melted off during the day (but not where it matters on the slopes)
Half a metre of quick setting cement is just what we wanted to see us through to beyond Easter, we will just have to keep a close eye on the snowline over the weekend.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@muppet, the poubelle monitor has it's limitations during the day as people keep depositing refuse and cleaning off the poubelle lids!
Currently they are covered, probably because nobody wants to go out in this storm:)
Will update in the morning.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snow looked pretty soggy on the La Daille webcams earlier, but I presume higher up is getting a decent pasting.

Lucky to have decent snowfall before both my ski hols this season, for ONCE.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chocksaway wrote:
@muppet, Very Heavy (not often that happens)
Barely seen the Bec Rouge all day (not that that's a bad thing wink )

That works both ways of course Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The poubelle monitor is in full use this morning with 30cm of new snow overnight Very Happy

It is currently still snowing & is forecast to continue most of the morning. The pisterers have been busy since 6.00am blasting away to make the mountain safe. The avalanche risk has increased to 3/5. Stay safe!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 2-03-17 7:11; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@HoneyBunny, The camera internals keep it warm, so any snow on the lens turns to water droplets.

My mates in the village are having bets on another 30-40cm+ to come before the weekend.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow ! what a morning, 30cm of fresh light snow Very Happy Very Happy

Skiing anywhere is like off piste. just enjoy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@bar shaker, I didn't mean on the lens - when I looked yesterday it was wet on the road and the snow was sliding off the roofs. Looking AWESOME today though!! snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

It's that magical light right now too...

http://www.valdisere.com/en/webcam/la-daille/
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A mixed bag today. I had agreed to meet some mates in La Daille, which was a bit challenging due to the lack of lifts initially, so having checked with the pisteurs that the links would open eventually I was first down Creux:D , the snow was not light by that time, I suspect the winds and the temperatures had played their part in settling it. I suspect the snow was lighter higher up (maybe), but visibility was a problem. Having found said mates we skied round Bellvarde, the sun then came out which also brought out the hordes. The snow on piste soon mogulled up, in fact Face de Bellvarde was down back to frozen slush in places as the snow piled up. The road between Val and Le Fornet had to close because of icefor a time. Odd moment of the day was a mouse appearing on the piste between the bottom of Carpe Diem and Marmottes chair. It seemed intent on heading for the lift queue, I hope he made it. The patches of sun vanished at about 2pm, it is now snowing again and the vis is poor. There will be some great pistes tomorrow depending on when they are pisted and how hard the snow falls. Off piste will have many dangers with the temperature rise, the wind and the new snow.

The snow will continue through the night and the winds will calm, another busy morning for the pisteurs. The snow will continue to fall through the morning but the intensity will drop and by late afternoon we may see the sun, just as the lifts close. It will be a couple of degrees warmer than today, meaning the snowline will gradually come uphill to 1700m in the afternoon, expect slushy snow sticking to the goggles by mid morning at the levels of the main villages. Friday will be warmer again, the sky will be obscured in the morning by a veil of high cloud, but the sun will appear in the afternoon as will high winds after lunch, keep an eye on the links for your last runs!! Saturday is going to be a real mixed bag, high winds and heavy snow showers, but only above 1700m, below that it will be rain, which should make it easier on the transfer jams, expect the snow chain police to be out near the Dam. After dark it will snow down to 1000m. Sunday and beyond is all a bit unpredictable, but unsettled would be the one word I would use. Between now and Monday there will be at least another foot of snow (to be old fashioned!).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chocksaway, How did the new skis perform?

My skis today '165 atomic slalom skis' Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@stewart woodward, They were fine, I just found it a bit heavier than you wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chocksaway wrote:
Odd moment of the day was a mouse appearing on the piste

In Saalbach 2 weeks ago, final run home in virtual darkness (after substantial lingering at Luis Alm) we were joined by a hare that dashed out of the trees and shadowed us for 30 metres before dashing back into the trees.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

chocksaway wrote:

In the same vein, many years ago on the old slow chair up from St Martin de Belleville, we spotted a mouse below us, and then saw it being chased by an ermine (winter-coated stoat). The chase was frantic but didn't last long as the ermine shot off with its prize!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So if we were plotting a late - 2nd week in April - trip, could we expect to still have decent snow cover?

And how suitable will the runs that are likely to be open be for 'a bit beyond newby' level skiers?

Appreciate nothing would be 100%.

Thanks
snow conditions
numbfoot wrote:
So if we were plotting a late - 2nd week in April - trip, could we expect to still have decent snow cover?

And how suitable will the runs that are likely to be open be for 'a bit beyond newby' level skiers?

Thanks

The whole of Espace Killy will still be open 2nd week of April unless we have a sudden heat wave. The 2nd week of April is not late for the EK.
ski holidays
^^^ and not to mention that Tignes/Espace Killy are open until early May.

There WILL be good skiing in mid April - winter conditions at altitude; softer/spring-like lower down. We've skied powder a fair few times in April (and May!)
ski holidays
^^^ and not to mention that Tignes/Espace Killy are open until early May.

There WILL be good skiing in mid April - winter conditions at altitude; softer/spring-like lower down. We've skied powder a fair few times in April (and May!)
ski holidays
@stewart woodward,
Quote:

My skis today '165 atomic slalom skis'

I thought you were going to say Atomic Vantage 95's wink
ski holidays
@GeorgeVII, But don't forget the pork pies or the machine gun nest at the dam will 'av yer
snow conditions
Groundhog day ???

Just a repeat of yesterday's report

stewart woodward wrote:
The poubelle monitor is in full use this morning with 30cm of new snow overnight Very Happy

It is currently still snowing & is forecast to continue most of the morning. The pisterers have been busy since 6.00am blasting away to make the mountain safe. The avalanche risk has increased to 3/5. Stay safe!
Very Happy

Next week forecast looks insane if you believe lies.com Puzzled
ski holidays
[quote="GeorgeVII"]
Quote:
I thought you were going to say Atomic Vantage 95's wink

Might checkout the Rossignol Saffron 7's that I appear to have acquired wink
ski holidays
Quote:

Next week forecast looks insane if you believe lies.com

Just looked at that - I have no idea where those numbers come from, yes its going to be a snowy weekend and into Monday, negligible amounts of snow on Tue and Wed and then nothing beyond. Unless they have divine intervention, there is nothing scientific at the moment to back those figures.......

Meanwhile its still snowing here in Tignes and there is a lot of blasting going on, it looks like another slow start.
snow report
stewart woodward wrote:
numbfoot wrote:

Thanks

The whole of Espace Killy will still be open 2nd week of April unless we have a sudden heat wave. The 2nd week of April is not late for the EK.

We skied late April last year. Perfect snow, cloudless skies and we had the entire resort to ourselves.
snow report
@bar shaker, Been meaning to ask...... did you find the Grand Marnier Bar over in Val d' ? I think we may have to call in there next week.

@chocksaway, Sleezy Jet weight restrictions may hamper the export of those guilty pleasures wink @stewart woodward, Give 'em a go. They've hardly been "run-in" yet Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
@GeorgeVII, But they colour clash with his red outfit Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
andy1234 wrote:
Quote:

chocksaway wrote:

In the same vein, many years ago on the old slow chair up from St Martin de Belleville, we spotted a mouse below us, and then saw it being chased by an ermine (winter-coated stoat). The chase was frantic but didn't last long as the ermine shot off with its prize!

On the chair going up for a day's summer skiing in Whistler saw a couple of black bears.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=236259869733941&set=a.234992689860659.96643.100000497900022&type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=236259403067321&set=a.234992689860659.96643.100000497900022&type=3&theater
snow conditions
GeorgeVII wrote:
@bar shaker, Been meaning to ask...... did you find the Grand Marnier Bar over in Val d' ? I think we may have to call in there next week.

No George. Where is it?

I keep meaning to look, but then end up in Baraque or XV. I haven't even been in Le Petit Danois yet, although I have met Alice and her hubby who run it.

I'm not back until the 18th.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bar shaker, on the Front de Neige, just down from the Saloon Bar - lovely Grand Marnier hot chocolates in there...

The Petit Danois will make you feel old!!
snow report
Every bar I went into in Val made me feel old!
ski holidays
What a day - after a tentative start it turned out to be one of the best days of the season! We had another 30cm or so of snow overnight and as the wind dropped yesterday it was a good deal lighter snow than yesterday. It was a little heavier below 2000m as the temperatures have remained relatively mild. But at least all the old snow (together with some of that Sahara sand has been buried under a pure white blanket, just fab.

It was still snowing at the off this morning and we were effectively in cloud. However, there was no chance of a lie in as the pisteurs were having their small world war. They were obviously very concerned about the slope outside of my window, they had quite a few goes to satisfy themselves. Our first run was navigationally tricky as Familial was in cloud, here local knowledge allowed us some nice turns, but not being able to see meant it was hard work. After that we stuck to the La Daille trees, nice snow but quite a lot of clowns with no gear and no idea! After a spot of rehydration the sun started to break through so we had another run down Familial in great light, it was starting to become a magical day. Following that we wee among the first down Envers Campanules (a Naturide), great. We then threw the dice and decided to go up the Funiculaire. The first 200m of vertical was in cloud as we came down towards Genepy, and then we emerged onto more great snow with nobody else in sight, though we could see the madding crowds all round resort. It was so good we did it again. The day finished with a whizz down Lognan, again knee deep snow but starting to consolidate in the warm sun. As I came home for a late lunch the streets were awash, so I expect the snow to be heavier tomorrow, perhaps a little higher and north facing slopes tomorrow, noting that this is where the significant risk is on the Avi bulletin.

Tomorrow will feel warm, the sun will be partially obscured by a thin veil of cloud which will break into fluffy cotton wool by lunchtime. The winds will pick up through the day, maybe not as much as we thought yesterday, but just keep an eye on the information boards. There is no way of dressing up the conditions on Saturday, its going to be wild, it will start snowing early doors and the answer may well be in the wind, but two minutes later it will be miles away. The current forecast is for gusts into triple figures around the resort levels! The good news for us in resort is the snowline will be much further down the mountain, it will start at 1300m and finish the day in Bourg. It is still a busy week on the roads (31000 up and 32000 down). If this forecast doesn't change, then carnage may well ensue. Sunday will start with sunny periods and then the skies will darken and the winds will pick up again, we should get more snow in the afternoon, these conditions look like continuing until Tuesday, but it is too early to be precise. Some of the apps went into overdrive this morning suggesting nearly 3 metres of snow in the next week or so. Personally, I think somewhere between 50 and 70cm, 'which is nice'.

In other news, there is much preparation work going on around the half pipe for next weeks SFR Freestyle Tour, they have been struggling to find the snow to build the pipe, now they almost have too much. C'est la vie.
ski holidays
Thanks @HoneyBunny, will give it a go. I still go clubbing in Ibiza every summer, with my house hippy, [g]raver mates, so am immune to feeling old wink

@endoman, Baraque, XV and Rosee Blanche are just a few where us oldies can mix with people of our own century.
ski holidays
bar shaker wrote:
Thanks @HoneyBunny, will give it a go. I still go clubbing in Ibiza every summer, with my house hippy, [g]raver mates, so am immune to feeling old wink

@endoman, Baraque, XV and Rosee Blanche are just a few where us oldies can mix with people of our own century.

Shall remember those for April, thanks.
snow conditions
A glorious morning again, with mainly clear skies. So following my own advice we headed up the Col de Ves (just 10 minutes after the lift opened) for some great off piste/by the side of the piste skiing. Quite deep and settled a little bit from yesterday. Riding the lifts was a salutary reminder of the dangers of avalanches, not that many people took any notice, there was a lot of 'powder fever' and general buffoonery going on. If we get through the day without an incident, we will have been lucky. We then tried Col du Palet, each aspect was different here, almost corn snow on the sunny aspects. After a sneaky run down the (closed) runway there was also a lot of nice snow down to the top of the half pipe. By this time the wind had picked up and Lanches had closed, meaning everyman and his dog was waiting in the queues at Val Claret, so a bus to Lac eventually led us to the Eye of the Needle' and a run down the front face. By this time the light was starting to go, the wind was picking up and Friday Fever was starting. So the final descent of the day was to Bourg!

Hang on to yer hats - its going to be a wild one. The wind is going to increase in speed through the evening, reaching 3 figures (kph) by midnight in the villages. Up top - crikey! Light snow will start about the time Jack's Club is kicking out and will continue through the day. The heaviest snow will be around midday and the snowline will start at 1500m and will be down in Seez by mid afternoon, chains will no doubt be obligatory and the mountain roads are going to be tricky. The wind will die down in the afternoon. Sunday will be a game of two halves, it will be nice with sunny periods in the morning, but then the wind and the snow will return in the afternoon. The links may well close early in the afternoon. As for the morning, the pisteurs will be very busy, so it will be a frustrating day. The avalanche risk remains at 3 for tomorrow but it is 4 just to the south of us. Windy, grey and snowy sums up Monday, in one word a whiteout. As ever, with the rapid passage of weather fronts, it will change but Tuesday appears to be fast moving heavy snow showers with a hint of sun in between and then a more settled period of warm spring weather for 3 days, sunny spells and gentle breezes. Bikinis may be the order of the day for Friday.

Now, it is 11 years ago today that we had the big storm, with a metre and a half of snow in just over 24 hours. All the transfers spent a night in the gym at Bourg as the road closed in the middle of the day and didn't reopen until Sunday. Its not going to be that bad, in terms of snow depth, but with 32000 cars leaving tomorrow it will only take one clown without chains to cause havoc. For the 31000 cars coming up, the heavy snow will be around peak arrival time. Its going to be slow past Bourg!

For those flying, in general the UK is going to be showery, the only problems I can see may be at Leeds with early morning hill fog and the same at Newcastle, other than that you may get damp crossing the car park but nothing to worry about. The wind will be the issue over here, it is difficult to predict the precise speed and direction of wind so I can't be sure but Lyon looks OK (but there may be a thunderstorm in the afternoon which could result in a few 'holds'. Its more tricky at Chambery, as the forecast is for strong southerly winds, that is OK for landing, but as aircraft have to take off on the northerly runway (thanks to a badly placed mountain) it may be beyond the limits of the aircraft for a time, ie a delay. If the airlines don't want to risk that, you may find yourself elsewhere. It will be a screaming crosswind at Grenoble, but just within the limits of most aircraft, expect a bumpy arrival. Now Geneva is forecasting winds of up to 30 knots with gusts to 45 in the afternoon. It is straight down the runway at the moment, if that changes there could be trouble. You are also getting close to maximum operating limits for aircraft and ground equipment (stairs, luggage containers etc) so again there may be delays. Good luck, fasten your seat belts tightly and smile, after all there is loads of snow up here!
latest report
Its a duvet day!

The snow and wind were a couple hours late arriving compared with the forecast. But they are here, heavy snow and blowing a hooly. Very little open in either resort. Hopefully this allowed a lot of cars to escape before the bad weather arrived.

Good luck to all those travelling.
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
Its a duvet day!

+ Very Happy Very Happy

Just thinking about braving the elements for some crossiants before the ski racing starts. Otherwise it is def a sofa day rolling eyes
snow report
@stewart woodward, I would wear your backpack full of rocks if I were you, unless you want to get to the bakery in Bourg!

Its getting wilder......
ski holidays
Yup it's pretty wild. Given it up as a duvet day. Don't think there will be much more opening this afternoon as there is a fair bit being blown around and I'm pretty sure it will take a while to make everything safe again. Toyed with the idea of getting the bus to 1800 and playing down there but can't imagine it would be much fun.. snowHead
snow report
Chaudanne is currently showing as open. Possibly just a ploy to get you to use the restaurant. Wouldn't fancy getting stranded in 1800 as the busses won't be working well with the traffic chaos.
Paquis is the best open run found so far.
snow conditions
Looking out of the window Palafour has a couple of brave souls on it. Unbelievably, the police are still having to stop people without chains causing a traffic jam at the old garage. Bit of a respite in the snow, its now only light.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy