Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2016/17 (Useful links in Post 1).

Poster: A snowHead
We must work for Trump and supply " alternative facts"

Tour de Charvet this morning, followed by S Couloir Major? from Solaise. Could have done without my ski coming off on a bit of a traverse. Some nice turns in bits on Charvet.

After lunch we chased the better light over in Tignes and stayed on piste. The Off Piste lessons have certainly made the piste stuff a lot easier, the icy bits etc don't really phase us any more which is nice. Steve A has done a great job with us in our 3 sessions. Well worth it. Hopefully a few soft turns tomorrow then head back in the afternoon somewhere part way to Calais.

Been a great week, and that new snow (that we didn't have) when we skied the Pays Desert made it so much better. It was falling from the sky as we went up Glacier lift, but I must have been mistaken about that as well wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Keep it up @chocksaway,

Us EK fans love this thread (as well as Steve's) and value your effort, insight and knowledge.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

It was falling from the sky as we went up Glacier lift, but I must have been mistaken about that as well

Ha, ha
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
chocs...I thought it was all quite funny.............old poppyhill didn t mind making a sweeping statement from 800 miles away...now you sure that was fresh snow??!!! LOL

hands up who is knee deep in debt as opposed to powder!!!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another funny old day. There was all sorts of cloud types at all levels, I could wax lyrical (OK, then I won't). On the whole there was more than enough light to see until late afternoon. We stopped in Tignes today as there seemed to be a bit more cloud in Val, but that may have been an optical illusion, but who is going to leave a sunny area on the off chance? Going was good to firm this morning, but in the relatively mild temperatures going became good after a mid morning coffee. The very top section of the Grand Motte glacier was very hard though as this had been wind scoured. Not surprisingly Grattalu was in very good condition. Overall the pistes are in fine shape. We did see a few flocons floating past, but not as many as we hoped.

The weather still aims to perplex! Tomorrow may well be similar today, there should be sunny periods in the morning and then the cloud will build up again to obscure the sun in the afternoon, winds will be light and temperatures mild. Monday will start with a thin veil of cloud which will thicken as a weather front approaches from the north. Sadly we are not expecting any snow here. Tuesday will be another day of sunny periods with the chance of a light shower in the afternoon. Wednesday and Thursday will again see sunny periods, the wind will pick up a jot. Friday sees the big change, snow down to 1500m early on, the snowline will then rise to about 2000m. Very unsettled weather is the due for the weekend to coincide with the first day of the French holidays......... So for those stuck in the traffic jams down in the Valley my advice would be max out on the skiing/riding early in the week!

For those travelling by air tomorrow the UK can be summed up as showery, it may look bleak but no weather issues for flying at the moment. Over here no snags.

In other news the Val D'Isere Town Council gave the go ahead last night for a new 10 man Telecabine from La Daille to somewhere just above the Folie Douce. If all goes to plan (ie no eagles nesting (Laisinant Chair construction) or rare wild flowers get in the way (new Solaise Gondy)) it should be opening in Dec 18. Goodbye to another bottleneck!

In news from further down the valley wolves have been spotted in Courchevel, which have led to the snow turning a funny colour after an unfortunate deer could not run fast enough, dangerous game this skiing. Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
franga, chocksaway, et al, great posts guys.
Just back (to La Plagne) from a week in Tignes (great time)
But noticed on the Piste Map there is only mention of Tignes and Val d'Isere - no Espace Killy!
Is it still a concept?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jonpim, I have not seen anything official but Jean-Claude seems to have been progressively written out of the marketing script since the middle of last season. Shame as EK is an easy abbreviation and I am lazy!!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm not an expert but GFS looks very tasty for early February this morning.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well not a great deal has changed since the alst report! However, there was not much cloud about this morning which was a pleasant surprise, the pistes were pretty much as described yesterday. It did cloud over early afternoon, but we now have sunny periods again.

We may just see the sun early in the morning but I expect the cloud to thicken through the day and we may see some very light snow after dark. Tuesday will be cloudy all day, and quite mild for January. the forecasting models are varying again, some say light snow for Tuesday, some say cloud. There is snow to the north its just they can't decide how far south it is going to come. I would probably rather it didn't bother as the snow line will be 1800m which would make it unpleasant for not much gain. Wednesday and Thursday will see sunny periods and in the sun it will be quite warm - expect the outdoor terraces to be busy!! Friday looks like being a day of sunshine and showers, again not that much snow and it will be sleeting below 1800m. Saturday looks like being snowy, though timings are not certain yet. Beyond that it could get quite wild and it will cool down.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The pistes were much busier today and lots of traffic still coming into resort this afternoon.

As @chocksaway mentioned the pistes are in great shape. The off piste is just well skied and chalky ion places. No need for big fat skis an all mountain ski is more than adequate. In fact my old GS skis were just fine Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chocksaway wrote:
In other news the Val D'Isere Town Council gave the go ahead last night for a new 10 man Telecabine from La Daille to somewhere just above the Folie Douce. If all goes to plan (ie no eagles nesting (Laisinant Chair construction) or rare wild flowers get in the way (new Solaise Gondy)) it should be opening in Dec 18. Goodbye to another bottleneck!

We heard this was going to be STVI's next big project, when we were buying last summer. I wonder if the little 4 man bubble will remain to serve the Folie (mostly downloading those who have over indulged, at 5pm).

No new snow, but the pistes are in brilliant condition. We had a great weekend.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@bar shaker, I understand that the new bubble (approx. 3600 pph (punters per hour)) will replace both the 4 man bubble (960pph) and The Etroits Chair (not many pph). Looks like the overdosed Follies will have to walk up hill a bit wink . Given that the bubble is the same age as me it should probably be retired........

Well we did see the sun this morning but not for long! The skies progressively darkened and it was snowing very lightly from just after midday. There has been one or two showers that were a bit heavier, but it feels very damp outside so I suspect it is drizzling not far down the valley. With poor light in mind we spent most of the time down in the trees, including a couple of trips down to Les Brevieres, the red was fine. We did also launch down Sache, which is quite bare in places and could really do with a top up of snow. Luckily it is much less worn to the side of the piste poles, so with the odd excursion and a little bit of local knowledge the ski bases were saved.

The weather remains quite tricky to predict at the moment, the timings of the various weather fronts are going to change so expect the 'snowfall apps' to have a fit this week and continue to change. But by the weekend Tignes and Val D'Isere are going to be parked smack under the jetsream, so it is going to be unsettled and maybe even stormy. However, the main jetstream has taken a more southerly route over the Atlantic then normal for this time of year so it is going to be quite mild, which will mean some rain for the resorts around 1400m or lower.

So with that in mind, tomorrow will be pretty much like this afternoon, cloudy with light snowfall on and off. The light will be flat and it will feel damp below 2500m or so. However, Wednesday looks smashing, sunshine all day and the freezing level will be well above the villages, the winds will be negligible. On Thursday the clouds look as they are going to return, it will be flat light and relatively mild. Friday currently looks like a miserable day with thick cloud, a breeze and snow down to 1900m or so. This will drop through the night. Saturday now appears to be snow showers down to between 1300 and 1900m, the wind will pick up a bit. Sunday looks stormy, more later in the week. So enjoy Wednesday and hopefully by next week we will have had a decent top up!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A little snow in the village last night, approx. 5cm, hopefully more higher Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arrived on Sunday in Les brevieres, after a bit of worrying about conditions I've got to say I am really impressed, the pistes are really good, skiing mainly reds yesterday from grand motte- lac- val claret and down to Les brevieres the only real tricky thing for me at the mo is visibility Wink 5+ cm yesterday and it's all fresh this morning but a touch milder...happy days!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well there is only one way to sum up today's weather: Miserable! It has been warm and damp all day. It snowed lightly all morning and for some of the afternoon it has increased to moderate snowfall. For this seasons new readers, the Chocksaway Scale of snowfall relates to how far I can see through the snow from the pad. Light snow means I can still see Val Claret, moderate means I can't see Val Claret but can see the end of the Bec Rouge. If the Bec Rouge disappears then its heavy and if the Palafour Chair goes its very heavy! It is loosely based on a Canadian system. However, the good news is there was 5cm in the village overnight and 10cm up high, but it has only just started settling on the roads and the balcony. To add to the woes we have been sat in cloud for the day, but that has meant more snow than was forecast.

So, it won't come as a surprise to say that the only piste I can report on is the one on the treadmill in the gym. Time to exercise some muscles that don't get used whilst skiing!

As I was perspiring away I noticed that there was quite a lot of cameras and activity around the Ice-Diving site on the Lake. Geordie Shore (an un-reality TV programme evidently) are filming again in Tignes. They are stopping in Guerlain Chicherit's second luxury chalet in Les Brevieres and perhaps it was them going for the ice dive. If so I suppose we can expect a slick of fake tan heading down the stream into Lac du Chevril Very Happy . Perhaps @Gnipgnop, can wander round the bars of Brev and photo-bomb them.

And now for the forecast - same caveats as yesterday - it will change! The snow will continue into the evening, but the clouds will then break up and by just after breakfast we should be left with a mainly clear sky. It will be warm so tomorrow will be the day this week to grab lunch on a mountain terrace. I may well be reporting about the Palet Refuge tomorrow. A thin layer of cloud will block out the sun later in the afternoon. Thursday will be a bit cooler and the cloud will build through the day to potentially give a few light showers of snow down t 1500m in the afternoon. Overnight into Friday it should snow down to 1500m or so. After a glimpse of the sun in the afternoon the snow will return on Friday evening. It will be windy throughout so expect high lifts to be closed. Saturday looks interesting to say the least. The wind will drop but there will be significant precipitation; the key will be the freezing level. At the moment it looks like it will snow down to 1400m overnight rising to 1900m in the day, before dropping again. Sunday will be very similar. So hopefully any rain will not do too much damage to the snow amounts in Tignes and Val D'Isere and it should be replaced through the nights. However, for the lower resorts I am not hopeful. Of course, Saturday is the first transfer day of the French Hols; there will inevitably be talk of another 'Snowmageddon'. If this forecast comes into being there will of course be problems and snow chains will likely be compulsory to get into resort. But the snow level will be well above Bourg St Maurice, so hopefully there won't be chaos on the main routes into the Tarentaise from Chambery and Grenoble.
snow report
Maybe a bit of rain followed by cooler temps and snow may be beneficial to the snow pack?

But let's hope the bottom half of the Sache doesn't get washed out - I'd love to take my 9Y and 6Y olds down it in 3 weeks.
snow report
franga wrote:
But let's hope the bottom half of the Sache doesn't get washed out

Sache was in great condition last Sunday.

This morning is much clearer with only a few high clouds. After the last couple of days snow we should have some great conditions although the avi risk will no doubt rise.
snow conditions
Good news re the Sache @stewart woodward, thanks
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
For this seasons new readers, the Chocksaway Scale of snowfall relates to how far I can see through the snow from the pad. Light snow means I can still see Val Claret, moderate means I can't see Val Claret but can see the end of the Bec Rouge. If the Bec Rouge disappears then its heavy and if the Palafour Chair goes its very heavy! It is loosely based on a Canadian system.

The Scale works better when you mention where your 'pad' is in Tignes. wink
snow conditions
@Kenzie, That would be a secret, I might get invaded by a Scottish islander. wink . But pretty close to the Alapaka.

Back with today's report in a minute - need a shower.
snow report
Has anyone used Top Ski for guiding? I'm going to Val d'Isere on Monday for three days and looks like a small amount of snow is due so thought I might join a guided group
snow report
@moseyp, Sorry can't help on that one.

For once the weather did exactly as it was supposed to. Warm, blue skies and a gentle wind. There was a very thin veil of cloud, not that it mattered. So a group of us decided to head off into the backcountry over the Col Du Palet. We had had 5-10cm of new snow yesterday, as no one had been over there yesterday we had to add another 5 from the previous day. So all in all about 15cm of fresh snow, more in the gullies. It was quite heavy and sticky, certainly not champagne powder. After a run down to Plan de Janin we set off for Col de la Grassaz. Were were first, which means freshtracks on the way down but aching muscles o the way up as you take it in turns to break tracks:

But of course it was all worth it on the way down when you do this:

You can see by the vertical cliff nature of the tracks that it was heavy snow, it was also sticky which meant it kept gumming up the mechanical bits. As the day wore on even the snow at 2700m was settling quickly, making it super hard on the legs.

We then skinned up to the Refuge for lunch with the ever dependable Nico as chef/gardien. As it was Wednesday, it meant his wife and kids could come and join him as the kids have Wednesday afternoon off school. The 8 year old appeared, skiing down like a demon, his 3 year old sister in a rucksack on Mum's back!

After that time for home. The avalanche risk was 3 today, we watched an awful lot of people on major off piste routes with no kit. It may be worth remembering that, depending on which study you read, over 50% of avalanche deaths occur at Level 3.

How can I sum up the weather forecast for the next few days - topsy turvey might be a good start! The passage of the frontal systems over the next week is going to change. So the amounts of snow we are going to get in our little part of paradise will vary every time you check your phone. One well used British one has gone from 52cm to over a metre for the next 9 days in 24 hours. It will change again. But here goes: Tomorrow will start with fast moving sunny periods, yes the wind is back, those sneaky isobars have squeezed together. Expect some avalanche work in the morning and the top lifts to be shut. The clouds will cover the sky from around lunchtime and light snow will begin down to 1500m, so it will feel raw and damp especially if you are low. It looks like the snow will be heavier overnight into Friday and the wind will be strong so expect a slow start on Friday morning as the pisteurs work their magic. Light snow showers will continue through the day, there may be the odd glimpse of the sun in the afternoon, the snow level will remain around 1500m. Currently the good news for Saturday is we are going to have lots of snow and the snow level will drop below 1200m, of course that is great for us in resort for those on the roads - pack your emergency sense of humour. Saturday will also be windy. The wind will drop on Sunday and it looks like heavy snow showers with a glimpse of the sun in between, beyond that is anyone's guess!
latest report
Hi @chocksaway thanks for your daily updates and reports. I am in Tignes this week and found them great for building the excitement in the run up to the trip but have also found them helpful in deciding where to ski each day now that we are here.

My little addition to this thread is that today I skied Le Face. Top to bottom without stopping. I won't win any prizes for speed but felt like I'd won a gold medal all the same as I've wanted to test myself on this run for a while but on my last trip here just couldn't pluck up the courage. What a fantastic day!

URL=http://s57.photobucket.com/user/renmure/media/image_zpsc32e1joe.jpeg.html][/URL]
latest report
Great photos @chocksaway, as usual. In the corner of the Jungfrau where we are currently hiding we have fast forwarded the clock to late April. 8degC at lunchtime, snow similar to that stuff that comes out of a Slushy machine, and disappearing fast at lower levels. (Although lots of fresh stuff forecast for next week so don't anyone be put off!)

Staggeringly beautiful here under the Eiger, but missing the EK. We may pop back after we are back from Canada in March. Keep that new snow fresh for us, will you please?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 1-02-17 17:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Huge congratulations @Renmurew, well done and a great momento in the photo above!
snow report
@Renmurew, Well done. "Go faster" stripes just for that run.
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
@Kenzie, That would be a secret, I might get invaded by a Scottish islander. wink . But pretty close to the Alapaka.

Back with today's report in a minute - need a shower.

LOL! I'm pretty sure I'm actually very acquainted with the balcony in question - if I'm correct then I lived (with NINE others) in your apartment in my first Tignes season - I think just before you acquired it. Shocked
snow report
@Kenzie, Now there's a coincidence. Planet Sub Zero by any chance season 05/6? Took me two years to shake the €2000 a year hot water bill and a similar number of litres of bleach to clean the place wink .

Warm winds! Yesterdays forecast were about 4 or 5 hours out re the arrival of the snow, there has been the very odd flocon past the window so far but it is on its way according to the radar forecast. But it was windy at height (closing the Grand Motte and one or two other chairs) but boy was it warm which has mangled the snow from Tuesday. A group of us headed to Val D'Isere via Familial (nice chalky snow higher up, frozen crust below the old farmstead) and then on to the Laisinant chair where we spent a morning out of the wind amongst the trees on a few variations of Super L.

And now on to todays variation of the forecast. The snow will start soon and the heaviest will be overnight. The flakes will continue to fall until just after the cornflakes. The cloud will remain solid and the wind will start to pick up in the afternoon and the snow will recommence around lift closing time. Saturday will be very snowy with high winds, there may even be a plague of frogs, its not going to be pleasant in a car coming up the mountain. It may be very good on the slopes if you can see them! It will get quite a bit cooler though so this will help the snow. Expect a lot of noise from the pisteurs, a further increase in the avalanche risk and the top lifts to be shut. Sunday will be just as wild, but with slightly less snow, but the chance of a thunderstorm cannot be ruled out in the afternoon. Monday looks cloudy with the odd sunny period. The amount of snow we get over the next 3 days is very much up for discussion, but by Monday we will have had significant amounts. The snowline will be around 1600m during the day, lower by night so all parts of Tignes and Val D'Isere will have much more by Monday, thismay not be the case lower down the valley in other resorts.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Currently snowing but a little windy rolling eyes

@Kenzie We bought our apartment from the STGM who 'housed' 10 employees in it! Now it is just Mrs W, myself & numerous pairs of skis Laughing
latest report
The webcams look good this AM - looks like 5-10CM of new snow in Le Lac / village over in Val d'Isere. I'm sure @chocksaway and @stewart woodward will confirm and gloat.

This weekend's snowfall should hopefully make a decent season (for the EK anyway) even better - snow looks to be followed by cold temps until next weekend at least.
latest report
webcams down in Ste Foy also show new snow, so snow line below 1500m, but not by much I don t think as across the valley you can see the white trees stop and the green line start.......
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
@Kenzie, Now there's a coincidence. Planet Sub Zero by any chance season 05/6? Took me two years to shake the €2000 a year hot water bill and a similar number of litres of bleach to clean the place wink .

Yep, we sub-let (individually) from PSZ that season. Don't blame us for the bleach - we blitzed the place before we left - we even got rid of the sofa that was on the balcony! (To be fair we'd put it there - it was one the Loop had wanted rid of). Cool
ski holidays
@franga, Unfortunately I had to have an admin day - a project back in the UK, so no gloating here!

The calm before the storm! Well I think all the forecasters were caught out by the amount of sun this morning, so there was blue sky for about 3 hours so folks could enjoy the fresh snow (5cm in the village, up to 15 in Le Fornet). It was also quite a few degrees colder and there was a strong wind at altitude which closed the lifts on the Grand Motte. The cloud has thickened through the afternoon and the snow is not far away according to the radar picture. The wind has also picked up a lot.

We are expecting moderate to heavy snow tonight, there will be a brief interlude in the small hours but the snow will be back by daybreak accompanied by a howling gale, this will continue throughout the day, a good 15-30cm of snow by tomorrow night. Initially the snow line will be at 1600m tomorrow dropping to 1100m in the afternoon. So you can expect a lot of lifts to be closed tomorrow and a good deal of avalanche prevention work, so probably no need to set the alarm clock. The avalanche risk will be higher, but the forecaster has yet to issue his thoughts. Sunday should bring lighter snow all day (10-20cm perhaps) and the winds will be lighter, the snowline around 1500m. On Monday the light snow will continue through the morning, there may be a glimpse of the sun in the afternoon, together with a stiff breeze. After a cloudy start on Tuesday showers will develop in the afternoon with brief interludes of sunny periods, this pattern will continue into Wednesday, it will also be a bit more breezy.

And dare I mention the travel...... As tomorrow is the first week of the French holidays there will be 31000 vehicles heading for the Tarentaise and 25000 leaving. An absolute peak week would be 37000, so there will be traffic jams anyway but with the snow expect a very slow climb into the resorts. Unfortunately, the regions on holiday this week are low lying ones so expect much snow chain buffoonery on the side of the road. Hopefully the police will get a firm grip on directing people into the chain areas. I think it goes without saying that the channel will be rough. For the air passengers it is going to be showery and windy in the UK, particularly north of Birmingham, so you could get wet crossing the car park, but the weather should not cause any delays. Over here, it will also be showery and gusty winds will blow around the showers near all 4 airports, so fasten your seatbelt tightly, it will be bumpy in the clouds and the winds for landing may mean a firm arrival. The only real problems will be at Chambery, they have a significant chance of showers with limited visibility which will cause delays if they occur. The winds will also be problematic with the direction swinging wildly, which could prevent take-offs or landings at certain times depending on which way it is blowing. Good luck everybody!
ski holidays
The scratching of the heads has now finished at the Met Office in Bourg. The avalanche risk is 4 for tomorrow. I think I am right in saying that's the first 4 this season - be careful out there (especially as tomorrow will be a white out). Beware the powder fever.......
snow conditions
Light snow started just before 8am, now snowing moderately (nearly heavy!). 6-10cm yesterday. Lots of avalanche work going on, high winds on the glacier but lifts opening slowly. Chains obligatory for all cars above 1300m. Think it may be a duvet day......
latest report
Its now snowing very heavily for the first time this season Very Happy Very Happy I can barely see the roundabout Shocked
ski holidays
Photo at 1050:

snow report
chocksaway wrote:
Photo at 1050:

You seem to be just across the road from The Lavachey.....had many happy memories staying there, when run by Crystal. It was nothing fancy, but met our needs.
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, Yip, its now run by the owners as it no longer seems 'to meet the needs!'. It was up for sale, presumably for the plot of land.

Looks like all the Thomsons are diverting from Chambery to Lyon, cue more bus chaos.
snow report
Arrived in Tignes and it looks like Chocks pic above although there was some blue sky earlier Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy