Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2016/17 (Useful links in Post 1).

Poster: A snowHead
@Bogusman, was braver than me!

It has been a wild one at 2100m, it has been snowing lightly all day although it seemed worse as last nights snow has been blowing around. There was a gust of 240kph on the Grande Motte last night Shocked It has been a battle to keep the lifts open with the wind, it seemed like it was mainly the Brevieres sector that had the most.

The snow and wind will continue well into the night, it may even get heavier in the small hours. The wind should start to die down at resort level by breakfast time. Again, expect delays opening as the resort staff sort out all the snow into some meaningful and safe pattern. The winds will remain at altitude but the snow intensity will drop after lunch which should help the holidaymakers on the way in, expect an early departure on the Tour Ops bus in the morning. there will be a few sunny periods on Sunday and a brisk wind at height, it will be very cold. The next 3 days appear to bring sunny periods with clouds on the peaks. There will still be a wind at height and it will be mind numbingly cold out of the sun and in the wind.

For those travelling tomorrow, expect delays! The Savoie region is expecting 23 000 vehicles to come up the hill and 20 000 to go down. Normally, this would cause a few bottlenecks at peak times, but as the snow will be to the valleys and airports expect delays and expect to be told to put chains on by the police if you have not got snow tyres, they may also insit on chains for 2WD cars equipped with winter tyres. In the UK there is a slim chance of a snow shower almost anywhere, they will be light and so should not cause too much disruption as they also won't last long. It will also be bumpy around any of these showers. Over here in paradise, it is pretty much the same deal but the showers may be heavier, which could mean the runways have to be closed for ploughing which will cause a delay or two. If the aircraft is on the ground when the snow hits it will also need deicing, again causing delays. If a heavy shower hits Chambery (a 50/50 chance), it may stop approaches for a while, hopefully Biggles will have loaded extra fuel to allow for some holding or you may end up diverting. Pack some sandwiches a sense of humour as it will be worth it when you get here!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ape_escape wrote:
Hey Snowheads,

I am trying to plan for a season in 2017/2018 and have been trying to decide on where in Europe to go. Aside from decent snow conditions, large skiable terrain, close proximity to the ski lifts and a decent apre ski, I aint asking for much NehNeh

Just wanted to pick anyone’s brains about your experience doing a season in the Espace Killys region and which resort you would recommend?

Workwise I was thinking a work-for-board cleaning in a hostel would be good ideal as you would do it in the mornings and then go skiing and have nights free and it would be super social (does such a thing exist?)

I don’t have to do the Alps, japan is always an option but I will be in Ireland in Oct/Nov so made sense.

Thanks for an tips/info guys
Very Happy

In the Espace? Tignes. wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
Workwise I was thinking a work-for-board cleaning in a hostel would be good ideal as you would do it in the mornings and then go skiing and have nights free and it would be super social

Does such a thing exist?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bogusman Hi well we have all skied once before (2 adults and 3 kids). We are getting a group lesson getting picked up in Les Boisses each morning
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@CosmoJo, It really does depend on your level. Best thing to do is to talk to your ski school. It's no big deal if you need to get a pass on the day. It's a quiet time and there will be minimal queues. The cost is the same whether you buy online or in Tignes. My best guess (and it is only a guess), is that they will start you on one of the free lifts to get an idea of your ability. After that you may stay on the free lifts for a day or two or go straight to the slightly bigger slopes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Still snowing, but not a lot overnight. Maybe a late start again but there should be some good snow out there Puzzled
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Still blasting in Val Claret!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ape_escape wrote:
Hey Snowheads,
Workwise I was thinking a work-for-board cleaning in a hostel would be good ideal as you would do it in the mornings and then go skiing and have nights free and it would be super social (does such a thing exist?)

How about something like kitchen/night porter for one of the tour operators, e.g.
https://www.seasonworkers.com/jobs/kitchen-porternight-porter-2788.aspx

Good social scene with a large group of like minded staff, opportunity to go out in the evenings when you are on early shift, and get fresh tracks the following morning when you are on late shift. All board/lodging/ski pass etc included.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
After a short wait for the pisteurs to work their magic we were off. It is worth pointing out again the dangers they face to make us safe. There was an accident yesterday in Les Arcs with some avalanche explosives, the pisteur received non life threatening injuries to his legs - lets hope he has a speedy recovery. There were light showers of snow this morning but a howling gale above 2500m, the air was damp so pretty unpleasant on the face. We headed down amongst the trees to Brev and Boisses first thing, there is the odd pocket of powder but it was mostly just fresh snow which required a degree of effort to ski. As the lifts opened progressively we went higher, the snow was very varied from 30cm of fresh to areas that had been scored by the wind, leaving the hard pack of earlier in the week. As it was hard work we needed fortifying by an Aspen Burger for lunch. Suitably charged we then set about the Palet Sector, the snow was better lower down and there was a hint of the sun. Again very variable, the best snow being the 40cm of untracked just to the left of the Carline piste. At about 2pm, the light suddenly went, when we had all been upside down twice we decide on discretion rather than valour. We have had light snow since.

Just a word on safety, snow chains were obligatory this morning, it was all over the radio and social media. The Police were by the old garage turning dozens of cars back, causing a traffic jam as people struggled in the snow - why not put them on in the warmth of the carpark? Why cause mayhem and risk your life?? Secondly, until about lunchtime Tommeuses was shut but despite banners blocking the access to the pistes people were still skiing down. I hope they had an expensive taxy ride home. You may think you know better - you don't!

The light snow will continue until early evening and the sky will partially clear. The wind will abate thankfully, and we will be left with sunny periods, but it will be very cold in any breeze. The clouds will thicken, a bit like today and we may get a light shower in the afternoon. Monday and Tuesday will see sunny periods with clouds on the peaks, but again it will be fridgid with lunchtime figures still in minus double figures. The easterly wind will build in strength on Tuesday afternoon and remain for a couple of days Brrrrrr. It will be mainly sunny on Wednesday and Thursday and a little less cold, not that you would notice it in the wind.

For those flying tomorrow the weather across the UK will be damp and miserable. However as the warm air is coming in from the north there is a chance of early snow showers around London until mid morning which could slow things up a bit. There is also a chance of fog at Luton. Over here it is pretty much like today with a chance of a snow shower, which may delay things a little. Just like today, there was a bit of 'holding' and 3 or 4 diversions as showers went through. By mid morning it will have turned to rain showers at Geneva which will make it easier for aircraft operations but a miserable walk across the tarmac. Still you are in for a good, if chilly week. the UK jourmalists wil have to find something else to doom monger about Wink.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@chocksaway, The most important news today is George IV has arrived safely with the Pork Pie supplies Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@stewart woodward, Permission to shout hurrah in an annoyingly loud voice!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
HURRAH
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Glorious morning - but -17C on the balcony Shocked Might still be a shower or two of snow this afty.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

This says it all!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@bar shaker, where is this picture taken?
snow report
Gnipgnop wrote:

La Daille.
ski holidays
Bottom of La Daille in Val d'Isere is my guess. Where I'll be in two weeks Smile
latest report
@mistral, I'm going on the 29th jan also, staying in Les brev and its my first time in ek .... So chuffed with the recent snow and cold conditions for this week
ski holidays
"Brochure Day" - A classic day today for taking pictures for the brochures (or I suppose websites) in Tignes:

Here's the Palafour - fresh tracks for all off piste and corduroy between the poles:

More later, Ben's Bus about deliver this weeks part time skiing mate!
snow report
A day to remember! With the very cold temperatures the snow was in fantastic condition. The Palafour had been pisted to perfection, so we had to put some tracks down that just to get warmed up. It was then off piste for the remainder of the day in the Palet Sector. A little local knowledge allowed us to be very close to the Col De Ves when it opened. It was a sobering ride up seeing the massive avalanches triggered by the pisteurs, crown lines of a couple of metres. So a modicum of discretion was required, however, we did see some reckless behaviour, I suspect powder fever had grabbed some of this year's new seasonaires, one we saw was very lucky - I will leave it at that. But the snow was fantastic, not powder, but just fantastic. So much so that we endured the long slow ride 3 times (it was still about -13 C. After a quick coffee stop, via the airport run, we took the Lanches chair, conditions on the exposed flanks were less than fun but the gully to the side of Double M was aagin just dreamy. So about 1.10pm we retired home for a well earned rest and a warm up. It clouded over late afternoon and there are a few fine grains of snow bowing past the window.

The Isere River through Val was 'smoking' this morning, a rare case of evaporation (or steam fog) where the air is so cold that the water vapour condenses immediately giving a ghostly air to the river. The air has to be at least 10 degrees colder than the water - this gives you an idea of how 'baltic' it is.

It looks like a high pressure system is about to dominate again, but, unusually, there will be wind too. So in terms of weather - easy peasy - for the next 5 days the sun will shine, there may be the odd cloud on the peaks. Tomorrow there will be a sharp northerly breeze, which will increase in the afternoon to a point where frost nip could be an issue and the highest lifts may close. Tuesday and Wednesday will see the wind shift to the east, but it wont be too strong soo it may feel a little bit less cold. The daytime temperatures will be much milder on Thursday and Friday so it will be quite nice, but still cold enough to freeze your diesel overnight! Wrap up warm, enjoy the new snow but stay safe - avalanche risk 3 is still significant.
latest report
Agree with most of what @chocksaway, says. Some of the higher pistes had been blown clear of new snow, leaving icy patches in places but that was the exception. And what a difference visibility makes! We started by skiing down to the Boisses bubble but we were over eager and got there before it opened so we carried on down to Brevieres. As a result we covered the bottom two of the four corners before lunch Very Happy . It was blisteringly cold on the higher lifts but the new Solaise bubble is quite nice. In the afternoon we took it a bit easier and stopped for a beer at the Folie about 2.30 I have honestly never before had the experience of my beer freezing as I drank it. The light got pretty flat on the home run back to Boisses from the Chaudannes chair at about 4.30 but overall a brilliant day.
snow report
@Gnipgnop, enjoy! My very favourite place. Was only there two weeks ago, but can't wait to get back out (pity about the 'significant birthday' I am using as the excuse!). And the snow looks waaaaay better.
ski holidays
@mistral, significant birthday or not..... two ski hols in 1 year is the stuff dreams are made of!....you have a great time, judging by what people have told me it sounds like a cracking area to ski.....can't wait!
snow report
James the Last wrote:
Quote:
Workwise I was thinking a work-for-board cleaning in a hostel would be good ideal as you would do it in the mornings and then go skiing and have nights free and it would be super social

Does such a thing exist?

Possibly the following:-
Chalet Chardons (Tignes les Brevieres)
Les Clarines hostel (Tignes Boisses)
Dragon Lodge (Tignes le Lac)
UCPA (Tignes Val Claret & Val D'Isere)
latest report
The Foo Fighters " A cold day in the sun" is the most appropriate song for today. Crikey it was cold - ice cream headaches for all! The sky was clear this morning, but at 8am the mercury read a bone chilling -18C. However, out we went dressed like Michelin Men. The pistes were in great condition around both resorts but we had to resort to an early lunch to keep warm. As the wind started to pick up a little in the afternoon we descended to Brevieres which is now fully open and has a good buzz around the lift station. A few clouds appeared on the peaks but it was time for tea and medals by 2.30pm. Anyone sporting a 'Mr Moustache' looked like an old walrus as the breath froze up!

In other news work has started on preparing the 'Palafou' the luge track down the side of Palafour, this will be open after the lift closes for the day.

Tomorrows weather will be pretty much like today but there will be a sharp easterly breeze from the start, this will increase in the afternoon making it bitterly cold. Wednesday will be similar but the day time high will be -5 rather than -12! Thursday and Friday will be sunny and not so cold with a more gentle easterly breeze - more like a normal January!
snow conditions
Gnipgnop wrote:

Yes it is the brook the comes through Vallee Perdu into La Daille. The water in this and in the Isere were steaming, as the air was so cold. Stunning to see.

Yesterday was Mrs Shaker's birthday so we finished the day at the Folie. As others experienced, beers were freezing before you could drink them. This was the start of an epic apres session that continued in the Rose Blanche with a lovely crowd from the London Air Ambulance crew. No rest for them, they had to call an air evac into the Vallee Perdu. The rope is gone and someone broke their leg jumping down. The heli winched him out, guided by the London controller.

Still plenty of stashes for fresh tracks and the cold temps mean the powder has retained all of its champagne feel. Even where tracked, it is still beautifully soft.

I've got to do that damned bit of DIY in my cave still, so will just ride for the morning do my chores when the wind picks up. The conditions are so good, it will take everything I've got to drag myself off the hill!
ski holidays

Isere river
Here's a pic of the Isere next to Rosee Blanche

latest report
I guess that means that piste perdu is not really skiable until more snow?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Isere river
Here's a pic of the Isere next to Rosee Blanche

latest report
endoman wrote:
I guess that means that piste perdu is not really skiable until more snow?

The rope is/was there so you could lower yourself down the site of a summer waterfall - no amount of snow would make a difference there.
ski holidays
@endoman, certainly wasn't last week, but possibly now after the big dump. Main issue is the large cornices that had formed, could easily get buried if the go while you're in there.
ski holidays
I've been down piste perdu 3 or 4 times but never seen a rope? Is it where there is usually a hole dug through the hardpack, just big enough to crawl / slide through?
ski holidays
@Zermattandchips, correct. Late season ESP take kids groups down there, can't see that happening if ropes are involved.
snow conditions
Never seen a rope either, but it is 20 years since I last went down there. Have done it once without taking skis off, and a couple of stoops / jumps down without skis depending on snow quantity.
ski holidays
Well if Typhoo put the 't' in Britain, Tignes put the 'b' in bitter today! There was a strong easterly wind from the start, which closed both glaciers, and a few clouds breaking across from Italy. mostly over Le Fornet. It was -18 again so staying out of the wind was a priority, so we went down to Les Boisses which was very pleasant, the pistes are in excellent condition as they are round most of the resorts. For the afternoon it was the black run down to Bourg for me as the cupboard was bare. But I did see a helicopter hovering above Les Brevieres so I hope everyone is OK.

The avalanche risk remains 3 but as the wind has shifted so have the most prone slopes, what was less dangerous a couple of days ago is no longer the case, so be careful.

Tomorrow will be another sunny day with the odd cloud on the peaks and mercifully the wind will not be as strong. But it will still feel cold but maybe not Baltic. Thursday and Friday will be the odd degree warmer by lunchtime, there will still be a breeze but again it will be predominantly sunny. And so will Saturday, so it should be an easier transfer day..... There is change afoot for Sunday, a low is developing over the Mediterranean near Corsica, at the moment it may bring a little bit of snow, if it comes a hundred miles or so further north, there may be a lot more, so everybody breathe in! It will be a form of 'retour d'est' so again it will favour Le Fornet initially.

Don't remember a rope in Piste Perdu, but I know the one on the 'Mousehole' was taken away as too many people were getting into bother using it!
snow report
Will arriving on this saturday, if all goes to plan, last jan we unloaded in a blizzard, meant the roof box was filling up with snow faster than I was emptying it of skis etc! Hopefully it will hold off until sunday, first day on skis!!
Thanks for the weather info, will pack an extra thermal or 2!! snowHead
ski holidays
Today Val has the wind whilst Tignes had almost none. The Glacier lift was bitter and no fun so we headed down Laissants and bussed back to town. Even the lovely off piste down here had been scoured and the lovely powder that Val had has gone. It is now lovely pistes and white concrete either side.

So left the missus in Val to go shopping and headed over to Tignes. What a difference!! Away from Grande Motte peak, there was very little wind and almost none on the Grand Huit/Palafour areas. The off piste under Grand Huit is was still epic as is well worth doing. Such a contrast to Val.

Currently heading to GVA and it was tough to leave this afternoon. Back in 10 days though.

There is still almost full snow cover back to Geneva and it's -3degC at the Seynod petrol station.
ski holidays
The weather was much kinder today, thanks to a combination of much warmer (or really less cold!) air and a reduction in wind speed. Which was a good job as I went on another Evo2 off piste extravaganza. After a warm up on Petite Chardonnet we launched down the troisieme of Les Trois Murs in Vallon de La Sache and then down through the trees into Brevieres. After a pit stop in Le Lac we traversed along from Cretes into Familial. A quick traverse round to the Marmottes followed where there one or two really special turns. The North Face of the Borsat was the next challenge. Finally, as the sun set behind La Grande Caisse we did the lower part of the Lavachet Wall. The snow off piste is now varied from wind scoured hard pack to soft windblown snow with everything in between, no two turns were alike, even on the same pitch. So the legs are tired, I am just pleased that someone else is cooking tonight!

The weather forecast remains pretty much as yesterday, tomorrow and Friday will be just like today, a breeze at height and blue skies and sunshine (a few clouds may escape Italy and get to Le Fornet). Saturday will look the same from inside the window but it will be a lot windier at altitude (similar to yesterday). Sunday will start with sunny periods, the cloud will thicken and hopefully we will get some snow through the evening and into Monday. Amounts are pretty uncertain, as the path of the low is still uncertain. At the moment I would wager 5-10cm in Tignes, 10- 15cm in Le Fornet and 3-6cm in Les Arcs.
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
At the moment I would wager 5-10cm in Tignes, 10- 15cm in Le Fornet and 3-6cm in Les Arcs.

How do you arrive at such numbers? seems really optimistic to me if you compare to how little snow fell at the latest retour d'est in December which was bigger than this one will probably be (if any at all) . The latest Arpege also only shows the smallest of dustings for EK. I'm interested cause I'll be in Val on saterday Happy
latest report
As I said, pretty uncertain, and I don't often give depths because its far from an exact science. But feedback suggests people like an idea of what I am thinking. So the numbers given are an approximation of what I have gleaned from a number of resources, tempered with a dose of local knowledge. Of course, I will revise things as it get closer. Don't forget that the retour d'est of late November provided the majority of what we are skiing on at the moment.

As Disraeli said "there are lies damn lies and statistics", then there is meteorology, economic theory and astrology Confused wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy