Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2016/17 (Useful links in Post 1).

Poster: A snowHead
Quickest and easiest way is ski down to la daille and get the bus back to val town. Otherwise it is tommeuse lift, then a blue, then marmottes lift, then face back to town. I think last marmottes lift now is 4.45.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So i'd probably need to be on the tommeuse lift by 4?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just ski to La Daille and get the bus, much easier. Or even come down in the eggs.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree with the above; just ski down to La Daille.
They do close the pistes after the lifts close so will probably start pushing you out at La Folie at some point. I don't know when this happens, could well be weather-dependent (as well as dependent on the mood of the moniteurs).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jlroger3, Tommeuses usually shuts at 4.30 (but do check on the day!) so make sure you leave the Folie at 4.15 and you'll be fine to get back to the top of Tovs and ski down to Tignes.

I think everyone above is presuming you're staying in Val. If you are, then yes, get the bus from La Daille, you won't need any lifts after the Folie shuts (unless you're wasted in which case take the La Daille bubble down).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tomorrow looks like it will be a nice day, mostly sunny and mild for the time of year with a gentle breeze, perhaps a bit stronger at the top of the Glaciers. Currently Friday looks like a carbon copy of Thursday. The forecast for the Christmas period is still uncertain and is likely to change, but the 24th would appear to be a day of sunny periods and for the big day itself the sun will return, the strength of the wind is less than previously forecast but that probably means it is going to be windier in the UK! Beyond that is all a bit of a lottery!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chances of snow for Tarentaise anytime soon seem to be diminishing frustratingly
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Off to Tignes on Friday over Christmas week. Grrr, why is it when I go anywhere it always ends up being dry and above average temperatures?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ManiaMuse wrote:
Off to Tignes on Friday over Christmas week. Grrr, why is it when I go anywhere it always ends up being dry and above average temperatures?

The snow & pistes were just fantastic today & warm temperatures were an added bonus Very Happy No need to worry too much unless you are expecting 100 cm of fresh powder wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stewart woodward wrote:
ManiaMuse wrote:

The snow & pistes were just fantastic today & warm temperatures were an added bonus Very Happy No need to worry too much unless you are expecting 100 cm of fresh powder wink

Smile

Nah I'm sure it will be fine, we went to Austria in March one year where it literally was 20+ degrees C most of the week and it was like skiing through sludge by midday (on the slopes which still had some splodges of white stuff on them!)

I'm on my own so won't be doing anything silly. Was meant to be going with family but my dad has ended up in hospital with rather unfortunate timing. He told me to still go anyway so I'll try to not feel too guilty, I really need a holiday!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cracking day's piste skiing agin. Blue skies, little wind-best day of week. Pistes in excellent condition but quite hard if in the shade or if have had lots of traffic. So....next week should be fine but if busy, the extra traffic could quickly ski off the loose stuff on top and leave more hard underneath.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Totally agree. Spent most of the day in Tignes. Pistes in great nick. Not as busy as we had expected even though we are now in the main Christmas week picking up the Sunday-Sunday and Wednesday-Wednesday tourists.

Last day tomorrow sadly Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just the odd stone beginning to show on the busy runs just above resort. Found the odd bit of powder-ish near the Val glacier.
We are better off than most. The predicted warm holiday period will cause some degradation as will the crowds
Looks as if I am unlikely to see fresh before I go home on 7/1.
The black Leisse off the Motte was open yesterday - non-damee. Some nice snow after a very crusty top. Narrow bit towards the bottom of the lift caused a bit of a jam.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another glorious morning in the Espace Killy. Great pistes, no queues and warm temperatures.

Spoke to some people last night who said yesterday was one of their best days skiing ever and they were on an off piste course. You just need to know where to go @Mark1863, wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mmm not sure where yesterday's post went,, perhaps it didn't submit Puzzled Puzzled

Anyway - another nice day for you guys, blowing a gale here in Yorkshire! High pressure now looks set to dominate gain, so expect sun, sun and sun. The temperatures will rise a degree or so a day until Monday, so it will feel more like late Feb than the festive season. Just watch out for a stiff breeze on Monday afternoon. The next 3 days after that also look sunny!

For those travelling tomorrow, the UK will still suffer from reasonably high winds, enough to make it a bumpy approach and landing but nothing to prevent flying, there may be the odd sleet shower at Edinburgh. Over here Geneva and Grenoble are fine, there is a 40% chance of fog at Lyon and Chambery. If this happens at Lyon, no great snags, if it happens at Chambery, standby for delays! The forecast is for 18000 cars to come up the hill loaded with presents, this may mean a few bottlenecks but nothing too bad, the split transfer days really seem to be helping
snow conditions
Does anyone know if a Tignes Card gets you any car park discount?

Cheers, G
ski holidays
GeorgeVII wrote:
Does anyone know if a Tignes Card gets you any car park discount?

Cheers, G

No. George I have sent you a pm.
latest report
Sitting here in the UK, the weather is the main topic of the conversation (oh and the massive works on the railway network that have come as a surprise despite being on the timetables for months!). We have been battered by Barbara and are now waiting to be clobbered by Conor but out in Tignes and Val D'Isere forecasting could hardly be easier. High pressure looks set to dominate for a week and that means wall to wall sunshine. It will be 3 or 4 degrees warmer tomorrow and then very similar temperatures for until the 29th, the only variant will be whether the breeze is gentle or just a breeze.

The Savoie authorities are now forecasting traffic jams for Monday when they think most of the French New Year holidaymakers are going to arrive.

Merry Christmas everybody!
snow report
@chocksaway, Merry Christmas to you. Thank you for your informative and newsy reports. The flying forecasts are especially useful even for those of us flying to Austria but whose planes come into the UK from France.
Wishing you plenty of fresh snow in 2017.
ski holidays
A Merry Christmas to one & all from Tignes.

Currently a little overcast with a breeze. A lot of clouds over Grand Motte so maybe a few flocons on high but you will have to wait a day or two to find out as the Cable car is closed due to the wind:(

The resort has been very quiet over the past couple of days but lots of new visitors expected Monday.
snow report
Merry Christmas everyone. Ski happy and ski safe in 2017!🎄
ski holidays
I hope everybody had a great Christmas, unfortunately there was no present in the shape of a snowstorm!

It would appear that the roads are busy today, not helped by 3 light vehicles crashing outside Moutiers effectively blocking access to the whole of the Tarentaise this afternoon, there are going to be some fractious folks checking in tonight!

There may be a few clouds about tonight but they should clear to give a mainly sunny day tomorrow, however, a stiff breeze at altitude may make it feel cold. High pressure is set to dominate until 2107, so the forecast remains mostly sunny, with the breeze abating, and just the odd high cloud and unseasonably mild temperatures until after the 'bells' on Saturday.
snow conditions
How busy is Tignes this week? a friend is thinking of going for a day from Annecy. It's not too busy at all here.
ski holidays
@Claude B I would say it depends, blue pistes particularly busy and there seemed to be more folk arriving as we quit the slopes a few mins ago. On the other hand virtually no one seems to be skiing off piste on the very acceptable chalk or for that matter on the less popular blacks. On two occasions today we seemed to be the only people on the runs we were skiing at the time - perhaps a change of cologne or socks is required.[/b]
snow report
@Ski lots, Thanks, I'll let her know. Bought up here and skied all her life so may suit.
snow conditions
Just about to set off for Manchester Airport to return to Tignes for the New Year after a busy Christmas. Looks like nothing has changed with the weather. This pesky high pressure looks like it is not going to shift until 2nd/3rd of Jan so all in all blue skis and sunshine until then. There will be a breeze on the highest slopes throughout and the temperatures will still be mild so great days for picnics and touring, unfortunately powder hounds will have to wait a week or so.
snow conditions
@chocksaway, piste skiing looks decent though doesn't it.
latest report
I have been here for over 2 weeks now and had some of the best skiing I can remember. Pistes are good, weather amazing and loving it!

Only issue for yesterday and today are the crowds, however, first hour is great and then seems quiter after an early lunch at 12.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Philip1972, pistes holding up well or does it turn to boiler plate ice?
latest report
Another Groundhog day Very Happy @chocksaway, will not notice any difference from when he left, good pistes, sunshine & chalky offpiste unless you are prepared to walk a little.

@Philip1972, seems to think it is busy but I think next week will be busier for New Year week. The big holiday companies appear to have different transfer days so Friday - Monday seem to be very quiet days.
There are a few straight line idiots about but thankfully not too many.
snow report
@stewart woodward, did you get those mild temps and high winds of a few days ago up in your part of the world?

Down Sarf it trashed all the off piste, how you holding out up there?

We're now, with the sun and non freezing day time temps looking/hoping at snow transforming though it will probably be mid afternoon so no mad rush to start early
snow conditions
@Weathercam, We got some warmer temperatures and wind but nothing which destroyed the pistes/off piste too much.

Tignes is a ski resort and as such they are working hard on the pistes each evening to make sure everyone can ski on decent snow. The runs down to Breviere at 1800m are open, although all man made snow or snow imported from higher up. The Greens & blues are being groomed each night but a few of the reds/blacks are only getting the treatment every couple of days. Maybe this is how it should be wink

Looking like we might get a few flocons next week but only time will tell Very Happy
latest report
@Ricklovesthepowder, they seem to be holding up very well (in my humble opinion). I have no complaints so far!
latest report
@Philip1972, thank you. Just this minute booked a chalet but rather than staying higher up in one of the satellite villages or the 3V, Paradiski or EK, I've opted to stay in BSM then travel where conditions are best. Got an absolute bargain as well.
latest report
@Ricklovesthepowder, Good plan, you have loads of brilliant ski options from there!
ski holidays
Just a quick update from Manchester Terminal 1 which gets the Chocksaway Award for a 3rd World Experience. 40mins to get through security, 4 out of the 12 channels unstaffed! Clearly they do not care about customer service or are just forcing people to buy fast track passes. Oh and the latest threat to airline security (thanks to one of those rotary booth scanner things that rejected me), no not a belt, nor a watch, nor a pocket full of change, nor the winter boots but a cotton handkerchief! I kind of regretted that it was clean when I was forced to hand it over for inspection Shocked

On a more positive note the weather will be sunny until the 1st of Jan, mild temperature swill prevail and there will be gentle breezes at altitude. Some clouds will arrive on the 2nd of next year, but it's a bit early to talk of new snow yet........
ski holidays
And now a 2 hour Easyjet delay thanks to Air Traffic restrictions at Amsterdam, arrival time now 10 minutes after Altibus departure, oh the deep joy of a bench in the airport for 3 hours..........
snow conditions
@chocksaway, sorry to hear of your frustration, IMO we are treated as an inconvenience at the airports, they seem to have forgotten who pays their wages - respect huh!

Makes me smile though cause I drive hehe, in all fairness though thats only due to the fact there are five of us in the car so economics win hands down Smile

hope you catch the next bus, enjoy your trip in any event Very Happy
snow report
@chocksaway, Hope you stocked up with Sun Tan cream whilst you were back in blighty as you will need it Very Happy More sunshine & warm temperatures today but thankfully not too warm. The pistes are becoming a little polished in certain areas and good edges or good technique are required wink

Looking like more of the same into the new year Very Happy
snow conditions
@chocksaway, Hope your journey improves and that the inconvenience will soon be forgotten once you see those mountains again. We have put in an order for half a meter of snow to arrive early Jan, hope it arrives! Have a good New Year.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy