Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2016/17 (Useful links in Post 1).

Poster: A snowHead
It was back in 1932 that Val Rosing, backed by the Henry Hall BBC Dance Orchestra, sang "The Sun has got his hat on.....", but it seems almost that long sine we have had a day without sun in Tignes and Val D'Isere! There was a bit of a breeze which meant it was a bit chillier than previous days. But there is still good quality snow around the area above 2000m and still some fresh-tracks off piste around and below the Grande Motte.

Good deed of the day was returning a smartphone to a Serbian lady who had dropped it onto the track by the Funiculaire, luckily she spoke a lot more English than I speak Serbian when she called it from a mate's phone. She has promised to buy me a drink later. Little Angel

The weather, is pretty much as yesterday with sun until Saturday and a gradual warming. But there now seems to be a good chance the high pressure will relinquish its grip on the Alps by the weekend, so there may well be a bit of cloud on Saturday afternoon and snow showers down to around 1800m on Sunday.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@chocksaway, sad, sad news to hear that the Alpaka will be demolished... Embarassed Embarassed Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad

Extremely fond memories which go back probably 16 years or so Crying or Very sad

We were booked in at Lavachet next door when it was a Crystal catered chalet, it was so good we went back for two consecutive years.

The story behind the Alpaka: our son who would have been aged four & half [1st time he saw the white stuff Toofy Grin ] used to go & empty the bins with one of the staff, think his knick-name was 'Swerve' or something like that anyway & we think Swerve used to call in at the Alpaka & have a quick beer!

We thought our son was just kidding, but he maintained that he had been to the pub, mentioned the large, large St Bernard - we were stumped that he'd been in the pub before us!

Ever since then when we've been in resort we have always called in for a few apres beers, recall the last time they even brought out free snacks type stuff, the log fire & the staff - wonderful bar - RIP Very Happy Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@chocksaway really enjoying these photos. Great blue sky conditions.

For me next week staying in brevieres with no snow on the horizon is it looking likely that uplift and downlift is possible via sache bubble / brevieres chair or do we need to drive up to 1800 to get the le lac bus. We have cars so i guess could pay, 15 euro a day? to park in le lac / claret.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Lost in the trees, Difficult to say at the moment, the resort are being a little coy over when they are opening the Brev sector. But with the snow level if they want to open them there should be no reason as I believe there is plenty of snow on the Marais Plateau (top of the 2 bubbles). I might try Chaudannes tomorrow so I can get a closer look for you; I will also ask around to see if they are planning to run the bubbles.

Today felt a little cooler because of a thin layer of high altitude cirrus cloud, nothing to spoil the enjoyment on piste though. In general the pistes across Tignes and the Bellvarde/Grand Pré areas of Val D'Isere were in good condition but one or two harder patches are developing at lower altitudes as the temperatures warm during the day and freeze hard overnight. I might pop and have my edges done!

The forecast remains little changed. Tomorrow through to Friday will be mainly sunny, there may be a thin layer of very high cloud up with the contrails though. The temperatures are going to rise though especially on Friday when the freezing level at lunchtime will be above the Grand Motte. There may be a light breeze now and again. Saturday heralds the changes there will be quite a bit more cloud about and a drop in temperature, also an early warning of fog down in the valleys for transfer day. It will be very cloudy on Sunday but the vast majority of the snow showers seem to be getting no further than the eastern half of Switzerland, this could change though as the forecast confidence on the actual track of the front is not that high.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Lost in the trees, I have asked at the tourist office, but they are not declaring their hand over the Bubbles into Brev and Boisse. However, reading the tea leaves I reckon there is a reasonable chance as they have pisted from the top of the Aiguille Rouge Chair to the Alpage Restaurant and Rhododendron looks good as far as I can see. Having been down the valley today it looks unlikely that skiing to Boisses will be available and very unlikely down to Brev. However, there was a big pile of artificial snow in Boisses that may well be used to prepare the piste down to the bubble so you can slide down!

The only difference with the weather today was a light south easterly breeze and a little less cloud at altitude. I think it is now fair to say that the official "going" on most of the pistes is "good to firm" in horse racing parlance. That said there are still very few people around and there is still some good skiing around, decent edges are becoming a requirement though. With the warming and refreezing the conditions off piste have deteriorated a little. There is a distinct temperature inversion at the moment (ie cooler as you descend as opposed to the other way around). It was +7 deg in Tignes as I drove down the hill to Bourg where it was +2; there was also some spectacular hoar frost in the trees that had been in the shade all day down there.

The high pressure system has reasserted itself so there is no sign of a break in the weather for a week at least. It will be sunny all week with varying amounts of high altitude thin cloud, but nothing to spoil the view. It is going to be even more unseasonably warm over from Friday to Sunday (3-4 degs warmer) before returning to todays temperatures on Monday. The breeze may be a little stronger over the weekend.

And finally I have to finish on a sad note. RIP to the person in their sixties that passed away on Piste Madeleine in Val from a heart attack this afternoon. It is no consolation, but it couldn't have happened on a nicer day in a nicer place.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@chocksaway, Ahh that's sad. RIP to them, but if I had to go I can think of worse times/places.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@chocsaway, we're out there next week from 13th to 20th, staying at Lavachet. I see there's no snow low down & nothing much in the forecast at present, just wondered what we can expect to be open in terms of runs & what links are open. Any areas to steer clear of due to having to bus back etc?

Are most of the mountain bars/restaurants open now?

Cheers Russ
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Russbost, I'm also staying in Lavachet on those dates, been watching the webcams like a hawk praying that the snow will continue to come Puzzled
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This morning was the first skin of the season, but it was a mid-morning start after a great meal at LA Queue de Cochon in Lavachet. Razor clams were a first for me, followed by 3 different cuts of pork and a chocolate melange for pud yum! The skies were an azure blue cut only by the odd contrail, and it was really quite warm so it was more like skinning in March, Iwas quickly down to one layer and the wooly hat didn't last long either. We skinned up Petit Col to the top of Chaudannes, mainly as an exercise in kit preparation and to remind various parts of the body that they were back in action after the summer. This did allow us to see the preparations going on at the top of the Boisses and the Brev bubbles (the Boisses one was being tested) so I suspect the will open at the weekend for upload and download as I don't think you will be able to ski to either lower village. I have also heard that the signal poma is open in Le Fornet so the resorts are still expanding the extent of the skiing. Basically anything above 2100m is fine and you can now ski down into La Daille (just) and down into Le Fornet. All the links are open (except Fresse which is really a duplication) and most of the moment restaurants are open.

The forecast remains predictably predictable. It will be sunny for another week! Tomorrow and Saturday will be 2 or 3 degrees warmer than todaywith little or no breeze. Sunday will see a drop in temperatures to today's level but there will be a breeze at altitude so it will feel cooler. There might also be a bit more high cloud about. Monday through to Wednesday will be pretty much like today but with a hint of a breeze to ruffle the feathers of the Chuffs that are still flying about.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Conditions are pretty stable above the resorts. Searched for decent off piste but yet to find anything. So things are a little boring I am afraid. Taken to shortening my days up. Enough for those coming for a week but I will be feeling a little short changed if thing do not change by Christmas; there is no sign it will. Sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lost in the trees wrote:

For me next week staying in brevieres with no snow on the horizon is it looking likely that uplift and downlift is possible via sache bubble / brevieres chair or do we need to drive up to 1800 to get the le lac bus. We have cars so i guess could pay, 15 euro a day? to park in le lac / claret.

I had a quick visit to Brevieres yesterday, by car wink, and there is no chance of skiing down there next week. The word on the street is that the bubble will start running this weekend so download/upload available to middle plateau and onwards to Le lac.

Lots of great skiing to be had on piste & some good off piste if you now where to look rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@stewart woodward,
Please enlighten me! I am struggling. Yet to put my ski gear on this morning. My first post-retirement trip is turning into a routine one
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
are they farming snow already up on the glacier with all the "lines"??

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kitenski, All season now!

Well it was warmer today with no breeze but there was a thin layer of high cloud. The resorts were a little busier and today was a charge round the two resorts on piste. After a circuit of the Palet sector we ventured down to La Daille, the piste down there is very firm and finishes about 100m short of the bridge. However, the welcome in La Rosée Blanche was very warm. After a bus trip into the centre of Val it was time to head up to Solaise. But somehow, despite a high capacity swish new gondola there was a queue. The queuing system they have designed was only allowing 4, maybe 5 people in each Gondola, frankly a debacle. Having spent a fortune to ensure a reduction in queue length they seem to have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory! Rethink required me thinks!
The snow on Solaise was excellent, as it was up at Le Fornet. We ventured back down into Val via Piste M, which was very hard below the tree line, unless it's quiet and and you are a good skier, I would download!

The good news for tomorrow is the opening of the Boisses and Brev bubbles, no news yet on the piste into Boisses. The Aiguille Rouge and Aiguille Percée will also open and it will be the first day for the new Almes chair in Le Lac.

The weather, tomorrow will be the same as today, maybe a little less high cloud. It will cool down quite a bit on Sunday and some clouds may build up as a cold front moves over the top of us. It is a weak feature, so no snow. Monday and Tuesday will be Sunday, but there could be quite a sharp breeze on Monday. After that broadly the same for a couple of days but increasing amounts of cloud on the peaks.

And the travel, where the news is not so good. Firstly, the UK. The only trouble spots may be Luton and Stansted where there is a 40% chance of fog. If this arrives then it will slow things up a little, the early departures should not suffer, there may be a knock on effect from delayed arrivals. the rest of the UK will be OK for flying, if a little damp and a bit windy in Scotland. Over here there is a slim chance of mist at Lyon, it will be a nice day for flying at Chambéry and Grenoble (unless anything changes the breeze should keep the mist at bay). The problems will be at Geneva, they are forecasting thick freezing fog until lunchtime tomorrow, with a quick break in the afternoon before it returns. As I type at 1600CET the visibility is only just over a mile and reducing quickly, so, it is not looking good. As Geneva is busy and only has one runway delays will be inevitable as they will have to use Low Visibility Procedures. There may even be some cancellations on high frequency routes.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What a scorcher! I went for a skin this morning to build up fitness pre the touring season (ie when there is some more snow). I was down to a base layer 100m above the village. The sky was a perfect blue with no breeze at all around the villages. I am typing this at 1400hrs, the temperature in the shade on my balcony is +8 degs. I could see lots of people travelling up from Boisse and Brevieres in Tignes, the Melezes run down to Boisses is open but the official verdict is a lack of snow on the bottom part. There are just a lot of people in Val D'Isere thanks to the racing - a great day for spectating. We have now had 14 dyas of virtually unbroken sunshine.

There will be a drop in temperature tomorrow and a light breeze so it will feel quite a bit cooler, perhaps enough for another layer. There might also be a few clouds at very high levels. Monday and Tuesday will be mainly sunny with a bit more breeze. From Wednesday there will be more clouds on the peaks, a breeze and a slight cooling again. It may feel a bit more like winter but there is no snow on the horizon this week.

If you are travelling by air then there should be no problems with the weather, it will be a bit murky early doors in the London area and there may be the odd gusty shower in Scotland. Over here looks fine at Chambery, Grenoble and Lyon (with maybe a bit of light mist at Lyon). The freezing fog will reappear at Geneva, so just like today where the average delay was 30-45 minutes, there may be some hanging around for an arrivals slot.

For the one sH on the North Sea Ferry there will be a moderate sea. See you tomorrow night!
ski holidays
@ricco121, where are you staying in Le Lavachet, with what company are you travelling?

From info on here & elsewhere online most of the high up stuff seems to be open & in reasonable condition, it's just the lower stuff under 2000m that looks a lot more debateable. Looks like we're set for a fine weather week - could be worse for an early season week! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
I've never skiied Tignes but my daughter is there this week with the University of Birmingham ski club .. Brum-Ski. From what I've read in this thread there's decent snow higher up but it's a bit thin at resort level.

She skis beautifully and is competent on any red and most black runs. Where should she ski this week?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.
snow conditions
bpirkle wrote:
I've never skiied Tignes but my daughter is there this week with the University of Birmingham .......... Where should she ski this week?

Perhaps a list of bars would be more appropriate wink
ski holidays
Bars? Surely not.
snow report
The grande motte down to le lac, grattalu area with a black off to the side
snow report
Excellent .. thanks @notnats !
ski holidays
@Russbost, I'm pretty sure we are in the Toviere complex, we have booked it with Ski world. Where about are you staying?
As long as theres some snow left I'm happy Very Happy
snow report
@ricco121 we're also with Skiworld (booked thro' Iglu), staying at Chalet Bouqetin which I believe is just behind the Toviere complex tho' not stayed there b4. On the 6am Grenoble flight out of Gatwick - we may be on the same transfer?
snow report
@Russbost, haha same flight same chalet... how many of you are there? the way its written is confusing but on my booking info the address is the in the Toviere Complex.
snow report
@ricco121 Ha ha! Small world & all that! Just the 2 of us, me & the Mrs, we'll be the old gits of the group (hopefully not grumpy!). How many in your group? We got the last room they had left about 2 weeks ago when they told us it was going to keep snowing - They lied! rolling eyes

Have you skied Tignes/Val b4?
snow report
@Russbost, haha yes small world, none can be grumpy out there ATM. There are 4 of us going

No its my first time in the Espace Killy, looking forward to it though Very Happy
snow report
@ricco121, @Russbost, The Bouquetin is a top floor flat in the Hauts de Tov complex. It is basically 4 floors above La Queue de Cochon (formerly Scotties, Censored Bar, Harrys Bar). I have stopped there 3 or 4 times, you may need to bleed the radiator in the lounge, I seemed to have to do it on every visit!
snow report
^ I've stayed there before, when it was Mark Warner's place (their name is mud right now, grrrr). The bar opposite is perfect for an apres beer, and you can usually ski right to the door of it by taking a right halfway down the last steep bit of Trolles, past the top of the chairlift and skiing as far along as you can. Not sure there'll be enough snow at the moment though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ricco121, @Russbost, Welcome to Lavachet Very Happy

You can ski back to just across the road from your chalet & it's about 50 yards walk to the piste in the morning!

TC's, Brassero & La Queue de Cochon are all literally 2 minutes walk, if that.
snow report
Well I arrived yesterday and up the mountain ASAP this morning.

4 weeks I am here now, how amazing is that for a regular employed guy whooo hooo
snow conditions
@ricco121, should I wear a pink carnation & carry a copy of The Times so you can spot me!

Thanks to all for the information "you may need to bleed the radiator in the lounge" - now that's what I call local knowledge! Laughing
snow conditions
@Russbost, Very Happy I also have the relevant tool wink

It was noticeably cooler today than yesterday, there was quite a bit of high cloud about and a lot of persistent contrails which blocked out the sun a bit. The breeze also picked up a bit, there ws spindrift from the top of Les Grandes Caisses et Motte. Indeed the Motte cable car was not running due to the winds. By 11am Mont Blanc had his hat on (or more correctly Mont Blanc had a veil of altocumulus lenticularis). Now this is normally a reliable indication of poor weather to come in the next 24 hours. Sadly, today it was just a reflection of the remnants of the cold front which is dissipating as it passes over us. In general today the pistes were hard, after softening in yesterdays sun and warmth and then refreezing last night. We skied around Tignes and then over to Val for the second run of the GS. Luckily I had my skis serviced yesterday, fresh edges were a good idea. We could also see the floodlight on La Face de Bellvarde that spontaneously combusted yesterday afternoon, not much snow left round the bottom of the pylon. Luckily it was after the racing and was soon extinguished.

Tomorrow will also feel cool as the breeze may develop into wind by mid morning. Most of the high level cloud will disappear leaving us with a sunny winters day. Tuesday and Wednesday will be predominantly sunny with light breezes. There may be a bit more cloud about on Thursday and Friday with a breeze, so sunny periods rather than wall to wall sunshine. Beyond that there is change on the horizon with Atlantic systems starting to exercise their muscles. Its too early to say if it will bring any snow over next weekend, but after 3 weeks of sun we could do with a change.
snow conditions
@chocksaway, @HoneyBunny, @stewart woodward, thanks for the detailed info about the chalet and the area haha

@Russbost, haha yes if you wear that i will be able to find you, if you could walk around the The Times in the are that would be great Very Happy not long now...
snow report
@chocksaway, great to meet up this evening- hope to see you again next year sometime, but in the meantime keep all those reports coming so we know what we're missing when we are back in the UK!
latest report
Hi Do Tignes do a six day Tignes only pass please? Heading out next Friday to Val Claret with two daughters. Depending on conditions we might prefer to stay closer to home rather than go full area. Cheers.
latest report
snowhound wrote:
Hi Do Tignes do a six day Tignes only pass please? Heading out next Friday to Val Claret with two daughters. Depending on conditions we might prefer to stay closer to home rather than go full area. Cheers.

There's a thread called Questions about Tignes which asked the same question. Do a search, it was pretty recent
snow report
snowhound wrote:

According to Tignes pass http://www.skipass-tignes.com/en/?utm_source=seetheworld.com&utm_medium=seetheworld&utm_content=listings&utm_campaign=Tignesnet.com

You can only get local Tignes pass on a one day basis, all 6 day are combined Tignes/Val D
snow report
@Philip1972,
I am here until 7/1 as well. Meet for a beer at some point?
Bit late out this morning. A rest after 9 days; short one today.
snow conditions
Some hope....Snow forecast for night of Tue 20th (20 cm).....but the freezing level is still forecast around 2000m
ski holidays
@Russbost, thanks, that's what I thought but just felt it was odd, given most other combined areas (E.g. 3V) allow 6 day single area passes. Any reason why Tignes might not?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy