Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me a cold weather glove

Poster: A snowHead
After freezing this week need some new gloves. I have long thin hands and get fairly sweaty hands when skiing, prefer shorter cuffs, removable liners and don't want mittens, long gauntlet or all leather..

Have hestra leather which are fine but pack out. Love my Mountain equipment randonee but not quite warm enough, have arcteryx gore ones for wet weather but need something for the minus teens plus days...

any ideas?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Little hotties hand warmers in the existing gloves?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@skimottaret, sorry but for f cold days only mitts do the business.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jbob, say it isn't so Wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ME Rando mittins are hot.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@jbob, +1... in which case @skimottaret, check out the Black Diamond Mercury mitt. Lovely and warm while maintaining reasonable dexterity (and gloves possible underneath, too).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Overmitts... Something like this https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/socks-gloves-mitts-hats-c151/mitts-c153/tuff-bags-gore-tex-paclite-overmitts-p878 I can't remember exactly what I have but they're something similar to these.
Wear them over your ME Randonee gloves. Take them off when you need dexterity - leaving your gloves on so your hands don't freeze, put them on to be toasty warm. It's amazing how quickly your hands warm up.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skimottaret, go active, Blazewear heated liners...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I suffer badly from alternating cold and sweaty hands, so feel your pain. I do like my Hestra gloves, partly due to the removable inners. I have slightly bigger than I need so that I can fit another thin pairs of liners and/or heat pads. The trick for me is ensuring that at the start of the day I am very warm for that first trip up the mountain (I take a pack so I can take layers on/off). I then ensure that if I stop during the day I take out and dry the inners and use spare liners to ensure warmth. All a bit of a pfffaff! I long for the day when someone invents efficient, non-pffaffy heated gloves! And believe me I have tried many...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, Rob has been using them this week but only gets a few hours of battery

current short list
Level I-Super Radiator Gloves
mountain equipment SUPER COULOIR GLOVE wrist tethers
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If your generally skiing places where that kind of cold weather is unusual, I would second @snowdave in advising getting a box of the tea bag style warmers and putting them inside the regular gloves on particularly cold days.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Black Diamond Mercury mitts, or if you must, BD Guide gloves, buy a size too large so you can run inner gloves if needed Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wife really likes the Hestra heated gloves. They’re quite sporty looking and she gets a decent charge out of them. They’re pricy though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@KenX, +1 - as he says - they do the job - simple rule - when it's feckin cold use mitts!

PS also why ski touring can take on an added dimension when the weather is like this as transitions*, temperature control, clothing etc all become more complex compared to Spring Toofy Grin

*last week had to adapt to putting skins on / off with mitts still on!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Outdoor Research Alti Gloves.
https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/alti-gloves/p/2448760001009

I used to have the mitts and they were great, much warmer than the battery heated gloves I'm using at the moment.
latest report
I was xc skiing today in val Ferret in mitts.
It was a first.
snow report
@jbob, I was out today skating and was using gloves and had to come back to the van to put on another pair of gloves over the ones I was using.

Damn xc piste was skied out almost rock hard and on skate skis really hard in my debutant status to get an edge Sad
snow report
I got really, REALLY painful fingertips the other day in very cold weather in dolomites, had to beg a pair of heater tea bags to recover. Couldn't understand why as my hands had been ok all day in minus 15 to 20 deg until i realised it was just after we ate a sizeable late lunch. I guess the blood flow was all trying to digest the food .
Lesson learned...
snow report
I have had much better experience with battery gloves than mitts.
Seems like people’s hands are different. Like most other bits.
You may have to experiment. Good luck.
latest report
@skimottaret, I get cold hands too, although mine stay dry. I like the Dakine range for good performance at not-Hestra prices. I.e. really good value. They have a variety of styles and something is bound to fit your requirements. I like gauntlets so have had their Titan and now using the Scout Leather as a slightly cheaper (and just as good) alternative after the Titan's got taken by someone in between lessons at Hemel. They both have removable fleece liners that mean you don't have to expose your hands when dealing with zips, maps, phones, cameras etc. They have similar gloves without the gauntlet that might suit you better.

If you want to try them both Snow and Rock and Absolute Snow in Hemel Hempstead stock them and offer instructor discounts.

But I agree with the others that gloves just aren't as warm as mittens. Perhaps a combination of a fleece liner glove inside a mitten would give you best of both?
snow report
For really warm liners you might want to try out some inner gloves used by divers when diving in Dry Suits. I use these when diving:

https://www.dirdirect.com/no-gravity-polartec-pro-gloves.html

They're perfectly fine under a pair of dry gloves (basically thin marigold rubber gloves) down to 6C (in water).

I reckon they'd work really well under a pair of mittens (although you'd have to go up a size or two as they're quite thick/spongy).

Keeping your hands and feet warm while diving is much the same as skiing: make sure your core is warm and your hands and feet won't suffer.
snow report
thanks for all the replies, in the end went for a pair of Level I-Super Radiator Gloves cheap on SnowINN in XXL which should allow for thickish inner glove plus merino wool thin liners i use... removable liners, wrist strap with short cuff and also can answer the phone with these which is a bonus.

Just couldn't bring myself to go to mittens Wink
snow report
@skimottaret, not to worry it’s getting warmer anyway.
snow report
Kinco 901 Mitts. Fail on at leadt 2 of your counts but they are da bomb with a couple of apllications of Grangers wax.
latest report
Having really suffered this year with the cold (say -15 on average at NY in Klosters and mid Jan in La Thuile) I resolved to try and beat it once and for all.

So I bought some Black Diamond Super Light Mits.

Used with Decathlon under gloves and were superb last week in s very very cold Flachau.

Very happy.

Ps. What KenX said - buy a size larger to accommodate inner gloves. They also got hot and sweaty once the weather warmed at the end of the week so I’d keep the old gloves in the kit bag depending on the climate, even from day to day.
ski holidays
I used these £15 leather gardening gloves this week when temperatures were between -10C and -20C

http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122028/Products/ssvenitexFBF15

Along with "Jasmine Silk" glove liners from Amazon (£8 ) and disposable hand warmers they worked well. They were at least as warm as my >£100 Hestra Heli-Ski gloves which I lent to my girlfriend for the week. Temperature was slightly sub -20C at one point up on a glacier and my fingers did start to go numb at that point!

At around -10C I didn't need the hand warmers.

They are not waterproof though so not suitable for bad weather days.
latest report
@musehead, for an extra tenner or so you can get the snow shepherd spec versions of those gloves with a fully waterproof liner. I use these with tea bag warmers on cold days and have never been remotely cold.
snow report
My celtek trigger finger mittens are fab https://www.blue-tomato.com/en-GB/brand/Celtek-5724/?sort=sorting_newest
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hestra Army Leather Mitts. -26 last week and my hands were warm. Happy
snow report
@skimottaret,

Mountain Equipment Couloir gloves are superb . . . warm, comfy and very breathable - work in a variety of temps. Never needed liners and I've worn these to -10 skiing. I've also got the cheaper Guide gloves (similar design but softshell not leather) as back ups / cooler weather spares but the Couloir are warmer in the cold and cooler in the warm if that makes sense . . .not sure about the new Super Couloir but assume they are just the updated versions . . .try and get the old variants at a good price?
ski holidays
@GlasgowCyclops, +1 Army leather Heli Ski but gloves not mitts for me, used to have the 3 finger ones but sold them, prefer gloves. Also used them in St Anton last week -28-30C with optional primaloft liners,
https://hestragloves.com/sport/en/gloves/liners/34000-army-leather-expedition-liner/100/
super toasty. Got too warm for me when it got to -15C so put the standard liners back in. Friends all around us using hand warmers, never needed them, super-warm gloves.
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, +1 Army leather Heli Ski but gloves not mitts for me, used to have the 3 finger ones but sold them, prefer gloves. Also used them in St Anton last week -28-30C with optional primaloft liners,
https://hestragloves.com/sport/en/gloves/liners/34000-army-leather-expedition-liner/100/
super toasty. Got too warm for me when it got to -15C so put the standard liners back in. Friends all around us using hand warmers, never needed them, super-warm gloves.
Hi, just to confirm, you had the expedition liners under the heli gloves? did you get a size smaller in the liners than the gloves?
ski holidays
@Sack the Juggler, In gloves not mitts - same size I believe, size 8 outers but can check liners size tonight of you want? You pull the grey fluffy liner out of the Velcro, and wear the liner, then push your hands in, doesn't Velcro to the outside shell like the grey fluffy one does but its much warmer. Best solution to cold hands I've ever found. PM me your email address and i'll email you photos of them if you like, I don't know how to post photos on here.
latest report
Snowboarder mittens with long cuff are best.
snow report
@Markymark29, cheers those liners look good, I really like primaloft and hadn't seen those before... wonder if they would be okay with Army Leather Patrol ? I prefer a short cuff as always taking em on and off for videoing..
snow conditions
@skimottaret, I don't see why not, they aren't bulky and aren't too long. Its the first time I've used them last week and they made a massive difference, my OH uses them all day long on every trip in her 3 finger mitts, I've been looking for ages and bought them end of last winter.
ski holidays
@Markymark29, thanks, will bookmark for future reference! where did you find em? might get a set and use with my Arcteryx gloves...
latest report
@skimottaret, Sport Pete in St Anton

https://www.sportpete.com/lining-expedition-finger.html
latest report
@Markymark29, cheers, had a look and can get em in the States as well, might pick up a pair this summer when on hols.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy