Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help with new ski setup

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to buy a new ski setup this year as i'm looking to do a little more off piste.
My current ski is a pair of Rossingol Pursuit 16 but they are a bit narrow underfoot when heading off the pistes.
I'm 6'3'' and 90 Kg and would say i was a advanced intermediate but others my disagree about my technique.
Percentage wise i would say its 95% piste and haven't done that much off piste so something that would give me a gentle introduction to the deeper stuff whilst still being able to cruise with the family
Ideally i would like go for new boots and bindings so that could open up the options.

Cheers Kev
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm about the same size as you and I loved my old 184 Fischer Watea 84's, (now Ranger 84) if you want a touch more float then I would look at some of the wider offerings that still work on piste. The ranger 88 and 84 and Scott the Ski would be good options for you in the longer lengths. Don't opt for something with too much metal in as you might find it too planky until your able to push on. Theres loads of the Fischer's and Atomic Alibis for sale on German eBay at the moment for about £100 which is where I used to pick mine up ex demo.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For 6 years my only ski was a Nordica Enforcer at 98mm underfoot and a 19m turn radius. Ok in all conditions and I still use it as my crappy condition ski. It took me on a lot of off piste adventures and for long to medium turns was fine on piste. Something in the high 80s would be better suited for piste skiing but have a think about where your interests lay.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I suppose this set would be leaning over to the off piste side of things a little more as that is where i want to end up and my current piste skis are only 12 months old and i get on well with them after last season.
My skiing has a lot to answer for and tend go for speed over technique so something that would last me 3/4 years whilst i try and make some progress.

Im heading up to my local ski shop tomorrow to have a chat with them so will see what they say.

The Scott Ski sounds like a good recommendation from online reviews although i would say short turns and my biggest problem at the moment.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

My skiing has a lot to answer for and tend go for speed over technique so something that would last me 3/4 years whilst i try and make some progress.

Just to be boring.... maybe some really good tuition would do more for you than new skis?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm onto that looking at doing a weeks tuition in November / December with the like of Snoworks or Warren Smith any recommendations?
The reason for the new skis is that I did a bit of off piste with a guided group in Val Cenis and sank up to my ankles.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Had a good chat with my local ski shop and I have the opportunity to buy a pair of 2016 Fisher Ranger 98Ti at a good price.
They also mentioned the new Salmon Sky7 Hd and the Nordica Enforcers so a few things to think about.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just get a pair of Rossignol Soul 7s. Stupidly good fun and idiot proof.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
drunken rock monkey wrote:
I'm onto that looking at doing a weeks tuition in November / December with the like of Snoworks or Warren Smith any recommendations?

Take a look at Inside Out Skiing, Rob and Scott who run it are Snowheads and well respected around these parts.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
drunken rock monkey wrote:
The reason for the new skis is that I did a bit of off piste with a guided group in Val Cenis and sank up to my ankles.

I'm the same, but skied with an instructor in April and he was in soft stuff on a set of skis more suited to moguls, he was basically carving down a slope that I was sliding down on my face. One of the group asked him about what skis he recommended for off-piste and he said "it's not the skis, it's the feet"....I still want a wide set though Very Happy My skis are apparently a 92 underfoot, but I couldn't tell you what they're like to ski on as haven't had the chance yet. Lots of snowheads recommend Whitedot skis and if you want something wide with good edge hold (really good edge hold) then the Whitedot One is probably a good bet, I really enjoyed skiing on piste with it. Off piste I didn't really have the technique as was pretty much my first steps into soft stuff, but think it's generally accepted as a decent all rounder.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm 6'7" and 105kg and can honestly say that I was completely blown away by the Whitedot Preacher. I skied them on the ski test at EOSB in April and it just doesn't make any sense how one ski can be so secure when carving yet give so much control off piste. The interesting thing is that the wider profile also makes it - in my opinion - far easier to ski with them 'flat' on the snow. In the sense that my Head Revs (my piste skis) really just want to be constantly on edge, the Preachers are very comfortable to ski flat on the floor, even on end of season bumpy mushy snow.

If you're a big guy like me, then the Preacher is a bit more of a big man ski than the 'One' listed above. I really genuinely nearly bought a pair. (I bought Ragnaroks instead because I already have a piste ski that I love. If I wanted a one ski setup I have no doubt I would buy some preachers).

I used to dislike how Snowheads as a forum used to seem to indiscriminately recommend Whitedot skis for everything. I'm not one of those people, but the Preacher really is by far the truest 'all mountain' (which I used to think was an oxymoron) ski I've ever tried
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
/\ Barsteward liked the Preachers best but bought the minty fresh Rags I would have had to twart me wink

To the OP the Soul 7s as clarky says are a lovely forgiving intro into off piste skiing. I've also been impressed by the Cham 2.0 97 as all the ski most skiers need.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
"sank up to my ankles"

The Whole Point of soft snow is that you ski IN it not ON it.

You can't ski thigh deep powder without getting, err, thigh deep. Shocked

Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
/\ Barsteward liked the Preachers best but bought the minty fresh Rags I would have had to twart me wink

To the OP the Soul 7s as clarky says are a lovely forgiving intro into off piste skiing. I've also been impressed by the Cham 2.0 97 as all the ski most skiers need.

It was part of the satisfaction of buying them. That alone was almost worth what I paid for them... wink

To be fair, there was a second pair of Rags going... And before you point out that the second pair had their fair share of battle damage on them, I'd like to remind you that it was you who did most of it through the season... Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nah only skied those Rags one or two days of the bash and didn't hit anything (big). You should have seen what I did to my Shiros when I dived into a nice windbuffed couloir to find the buff was 2 cm on pure scree.
latest report
You want to take that up with spyderjon then... his version of events was that you're like duck's bottom and spent the year on demo skis Very Happy
snow conditions
Never trust a Scouser who's trying to sell you something as an arbiter of the truth wink
snow report
@dp, I didn't get on with the Preacher. Skied a morning on them in hardpack and even though I weigh more than you I couldn't get them to turn easily on hard corduroy
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Never trust a Scouser who's trying to sell you something as an arbiter of the truth wink

At £100 for a pair of gnarly powder skis, he didn't really have to try.

Scouser bit sounds about right
snow report
@drunken rock monkey, No advice on the skis, but for tuition I would also recommend Inside Out Skiing http://www.insideoutskiing.com/. I've been on several of their courses (inside and out) and they've really helped me to improve my technique. In fact, I'm going on their Season Opener in December!

BTW, I think we've met when staying in the same apartment a few years ago at the EoSB in Val Thorens I was with my OH and you were with your family.
snow report
@drunken rock monkey, How about doing the Manchester Oktobertest and test a few ?
snow report
@under a new name, I dont think i explained the very well.
Compared to others i was skiing with my skis seemed to be flexing in the centre a lot more than the others and causing me lots of problems.

@Iski, Yes i remember. I have been dipping in and out of SH over the last few years whilst i have been busy getting married and doing a major refurb on the family home. All this whilst trying to run a company too hasn't left much time for anything else.

@adithorp, Booked in and looking forwards to it. I did last year but didn't really think about what i was testing so this time i have a list of a few skis i want to try out.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy