Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 2016/17 Weather Report

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from half-term week in Val di Fassa.

Fresh snow (10-15cm) a week ago as we arrived 10/11th Feb, then a week of sunshine from Sunday 12th, cold overnight, but got quite warm in the afternoons midweek, so pistes softened quite a bit. Everything skied well, did encounter some hard-pack and pistes got scraped in heavily-trafficked areas.

Everywhere started off white after the fresh snow, it looked like winter wonderland last Saturday morning, but as the week progressed brown meadows reappeared in sunny spots in the valley.

Remarkably quiet in many of the smaller places in Val di Fassa, a bit busy at Passo San Pellegrino busy on Sunday as Italian day-trippers were in evidence. Anywhere on the Sella Ronda was also busy, particularly Val Gardena on Tuesday every chair had a crowd queuing. Cinque Torri was almost deserted on Thursday, definitely a good place to avoid half-term crowds!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cloud was building as we left yesterday, a brief cold front was due to pass over from the North, but I don't think it produced anything snow-wise on the Italian side.

The outlook is quite dry on GFS and it looks like the temps will be on the rise by next weekend. It looks like Spring is coming early, after Winter barely got started!

I'm sure they will make to most of what there is with the grooming and make more if necessary to keep things going until more snow arrives.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowed quite heavily on Seiseralm yesterday but only for a short time. I echo the comments of @luigi about the snow conditions and crowds on the Sella Ronda circuit. As soon as you got away from the 'wheel' eg. S Croce chapel, Pralongia, Seiseralm, Val di Fiemme the crowds diminished noticeably. Great week with the sun and good snow and anyone coming out soon should have a great time.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
luigi wrote:
Cinque Torri was almost deserted on Thursday, definitely a good place to avoid half-term crowds!!

Is than now reachable from the bottom of the Laguzoi lift? I did CT from there a few weeks back and had great time. Am i right in thinking that with good snow, theres a cat track down to CT and from the top there you can ski back down to the Laguzoi lift...?
Cheers!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shiva_71 wrote:
luigi wrote:
Cinque Torri was almost deserted on Thursday, definitely a good place to avoid half-term crowds!!

Is than now reachable from the bottom of the Laguzoi lift? I did CT from there a few weeks back and had great time. Am i right in thinking that with good snow, theres a cat track down to CT and from the top there you can ski back down to the Laguzoi lift...?
Cheers!

According to this page http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/ski-area/cortina/slopes on the Dolomiti Superski website the runs around Falzarego are open, although some are still shown closed on the 3D map.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
shiva_71 wrote:
luigi wrote:

Cheers!

Yes, both the connecting pistes were open on Thursday, as well as the Croda Negra chair, so the full Super-8 circuit around the Averau was open.

I don't think there is any snowmaking on these, so the recent snow was the game-changer.

On the red down from the Croda Negra across to Col Gallina/Falzarego/Lagazuoi there were a few patches where it was scraped and getting close to revealing bare earth.

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is this the Cortina thread? Anyone there at the moment? I'm there on Thursday - wondering what conditions are like
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
moseyp wrote:
Is this the Cortina thread? Anyone there at the moment? I'm there on Thursday - wondering what conditions are like

Yep, Cortina is in the Dolomites!

Was up at Lagazuoi/Cinque Torri last Thursday and conditions were pretty good apart from what I mentioned in my previous post. It was getting quite warm though. Didn't go down to Cortina proper, but could see it in the distance, the sunny side looked a bit brown lower down, but the lower runs on the Tofana side are mostly N-facing, so shouldn't be an issue.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quick report from Latemar-Obereggen: skied all morning and the piste conditions are fantastic, even though it's warm. The lower ends of the pistes running back to Obereggen are getting a little soft, but nothing bad. Currently sat enjoying a coffee in glorious sunshine...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Webcam on Selva nursery slopes showing +8 ! today
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bananamoore, drove up to Obereggen for the day last week from our base in Kastelruth. As you say the snow was mostly very good. It was the first time I'd skied in the Latemar area and I liked it a lot- very picturesque with slopes for all preferences including a pretty steep black (29a) - well, at least for me! There's no Ladin culture to cushion the German and Italian speaking divisions so in a matter of a few runs you go straight from what felt like Austria (Obereggen) to Italy (Pampeago). Good Germanic cheesy après ski at the Obereggen base too.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pjd wrote:
@Bananamoore, drove up to Obereggen for the day last week from our base in Kastelruth. As you say the snow was mostly very good. It was the first time I'd skied in the Latemar area and I liked it a lot- very picturesque with slopes for all preferences including a pretty steep black (29a) - well, at least for me! There's no Ladin culture to cushion the German and Italian speaking divisions so in a matter of a few runs you go straight from what felt like Austria (Obereggen) to Italy (Pampeago). Good Germanic cheesy après ski at the Obereggen base too.

It's our second visit - we like it a lot (also been hiking here in the summer)! Last year we had the proper Narnia experience with lots of natural snow. Having obsessively checked the weather before we left this time, I was concerned about the warm temperatures. However, the pistes are holding up well at the moment and we are enjoying our very different 'spring' skiing experience this year! I am sticking to the blues and easy reds though personally!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
After flipping and flopping over the last couple of days Bergfex is now forecasting some very useful snow again on Friday for Alta Badia and the Sella Ronda. Also for Tuesday and Wednesday next week - but I'm treating that with as much scepticism as hope.

We're there on 5th March. Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wetterzentrale forecasts potential snow for today and not much more going forward

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/de/show_diagrams.php?model=gfs&lid=ENS&var=201&bw=&lat=51.4000&lon=13.6000&zip=4932

GFS - Meteociel sees nothing major short term but some potential for nice spells of snow on the 1st and 2nd of March

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=46.574723&lon=11.673212

and ECM based Bergfex has somehow agreed with GFS for the 1st and 2nd.

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=46.574723&lon=11.673212

I gather from the discussions so far that ECM/Bergfex has a better score in the Dolomiti...

@luigi, please keep the reports coming Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
agw wrote:
After flipping and flopping over the last couple of days Bergfex is now forecasting some very useful snow again on Friday for Alta Badia and the Sella Ronda. Also for Tuesday and Wednesday next week - but I'm treating that with as much scepticism as hope.

I'm at Ortisei on the 5th- will the snow you are praying for answer my prayers too (newbie to Italy) Very Happy
snow report
Charliegolf wrote:
agw wrote:

I'm at Ortisei on the 5th- will the snow you are praying for answer my prayers too (newbie to Italy) Very Happy

Should do - although it's showing a bit less for you on 28th-1st.

http://www.bergfex.com/groeden-sankt-ulrich/wetter/prognose/#0

As you probably know it can snow in one valley but not the next.
We're at Badia (aka Pedraces) just opposite Santa Croce. This will be our 4th trip to the area in 5 years - love the Dolomites.
One run I've yet to do is 'La Longia' - the 10.5km piste down to Ortisei so hope to get over there this time.
snow report
@agw, thanks for that, can't wait.
snow report
Well - tomorrow (Friday) is now going to be a mere dusting apparently but something's definitely afoot for 1st and 2nd of March.

Up to 50cm at altitude???
snow conditions
agw wrote:
Well - tomorrow (Friday) is now going to be a mere dusting apparently but something's definitely afoot for 1st and 2nd of March.

chart for selva

ski holidays
Thought it worth mentioning given the forecast for snow next week that the car I booked from Bergamo through Europcar website with winter tyres worked out fine. The car did indeed have such tyres and they even upgraded me to an Opel Mokka.
snow report
Sorry if a little off topic - but others looking for winter tyres at Marco Polo should try Green Motion. I used it a few weeks ago - seems to be a rental part of the local VW Dealership and they provided winter tyres no problem and at a good price.
snow report
agw wrote:

That would be just perfect, I'm arriving in Colfosco on the 4th!

Pistes should be fine anyway but I'm hopeful to find Winter wonderland at least for a few days
snow conditions
@albob, Thanks for the chart snowHead

Safe to say there's something of a disagreement between ECM and GFS from the 9th onwards Laughing

I'm there 4-11th so it will certainly snow every day during that period rolling eyes At least there is plenty of tree skiing
snow conditions
"...Safe to say there's something of a disagreement between ECM and GFS...."

As always !!
ski holidays
This coming week looks like there will be TOO MUCH snow if predictions are correct?
ski holidays
northantsred wrote:
This coming week looks like there will be TOO MUCH snow if predictions are correct?

Bergfex have just dialled back on the snowfall for the weekend - suits us as we're arriving on Sunday.
I've been the long way round (via Bolzano and Bruneck) to Alta Badia from Venice once - it's a loooong transfer, 5+ hours.

The issue is usually the Campolongo pass between Arabba and Corvara.
snow conditions
We are in Madonna at the moment and it is snowing heavily with about 50cm forecast.
It was very warm on Saturday and Sunday but cooled a bit yesterday and the pistes have held up fairly well given how busy it is (apparently its Hapsburg week) just getting a bit slushy and cut up from mid afternoon.
Looks like a return to sunshine and warmer weather tomorrow before more snow at the weekend.
ski holidays
Steve.S wrote:
We are in Madonna at the moment and it is snowing heavily with about 50cm forecast.
It was very warm on Saturday and Sunday but cooled a bit yesterday and the pistes have held up fairly well given how busy it is (apparently its Hapsburg week) just getting a bit slushy and cut up from mid afternoon.
Looks like a return to sunshine and warmer weather tomorrow before more snow at the weekend.

I think it's Carnivale all over the Dolomites - I was told when I booked for 5th March that it was the week after all that so a good time to go. Mind you the lower pistes getting soft in the afternoon is familiar to me from previous years.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Just what I wanted to hear Very Happy (we arrive in Madonna on Saturday)
snow report
Arrive in Madonna on the 26th March. More snow that falls now the better !!
latest report
Snowing quite heavily in Arabba. A couple of inches since lunch.
snow report
Quote:

Griggs
user

Arrive in Madonna on the 26th March. More snow that falls now the better !!

Be careful what you wish for . . . . Toofy Grin
latest report
Ortisei on Sunday. About 6" will do nicely please, then sun and blue skies. Thanks! Very Happy
snow conditions
40cm reported this evening according to Dolomiti Superski Facebook page
latest report
maquibr wrote:

I think they are saying up to 40cm has already fallen, I don't think they are saying there is any more due to fall tonight.
latest report
The tables at Plan de Gralba had 6 inches or so of snow on them this am

At 18.00 they had this !! :: be scared, very scared......

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 1-03-17 21:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
maquibr wrote:

40cm is the total depth, not what fell yesterday...
snow report
Probably a good 60cms here yesterday, they were still digging cars out tonight.
Fantastic bluebird day today we are both cream crackered.
They are saying another 40cms over the weekend so anyone here next week should be in for a treat Very Happy
snow conditions
Steve.S wrote:
Probably a good 60cms here yesterday, they were still digging cars out tonight.
Fantastic bluebird day today we are both cream crackered.
They are saying another 40cms over the weekend so anyone here next week should be in for a treat Very Happy

I'm arriving with a group on Saturday so now hoping the snow stops over the weekend but I fear it will continue into next week.
latest report
Forecast seems to be a decent dump tomorrow (making for an interesting transfer day) followed by a largely sunny week

Perfect Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy