Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 2016/17 Weather Report

Poster: A snowHead
@zzz, 5-10cm fell last week. Just done the Sella Ronda anti-clockwise plus the Edelweiss Valley -all pistes in good condition - like normal. Best were around Corvara and top of Canazei. It looks a bit odd with large patches of brown - especially around Araba on the south facing slopes- but when on the pistes you don't notice this
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
luigi wrote:
...and the 06Z takes it all away again. Sad

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=46.49&lon=11.87

And now it is as flat as a witch's...... Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sequoiaboard wrote:
luigi wrote:
...and the 06Z takes it all away again. Sad

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=46.49&lon=11.87

And now it is as flat as a witch's...... Sad

B***ger - was looking forward to some Fresh nxt week... Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pjd, thanks but significant snow. Has there been any?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
zzz wrote:

Nope. Some in November and the recent dusting. Think that's all. The whole place looks rather threadbare but the piste quality as mentioned earlier and as others have said is still very good. No stones or bare patches. Some hard pack here and there but no more than usual. No off piste at all and signs by the lifts telling you not to attempt it.
We've just had a really enjoyable three days - unbroken sunshine, great skiing and good fun. Loved the new 8 seater chairlift from Piz Sella area to the Valley of the Rocks. I wish I'd known about the new chair that cuts out the walk through Arabba though! Back in mid Feb and hoping for snow but as long as it doesn't get stupidly warm there will still be good skiing, I'm sure Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
zzz wrote:

After a few snowfalls at altitude in early Autumn that came & went, there was a moderate snowfall down to valley bottoms around 10th Nov, then it rained up to 1800/2000m in late Nov which pretty much destroyed the lower cover, but added to the snow at altitude which is why the peaks are still pretty snowy.

Since then, as pjd said, it's just been 1 or 2cm dustings in Dec & early Jan from the North and the light snowfall last Friday of 5-10cm, which now looks to be retreating on any sunny faces.

Snowmaking has been going on apace since it got cold enough in Nov and vast kms of piste were open on the start of the season in early Dec. The Saslong Mens Downhill was held successfully on artificial snow the weekend before Xmas and with cold temps, low humidity and top-ups from the cannons, the pistes seem to be holding up remarkably well so far through this virtual drought.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just back today from a week staying in Val Gardena. Had a brilliant time and the pistes were in great condition though it has been warming up slightly during the week (was -10 when setting off this morning compared to -17 earlier in the week) couple of lifts were showing +2 over the Colfosco area yesterday.

Skied the Hidden Valley on Thursday and it was great. This is our fourth year in the Dolomites (Val Gardena, Corvara and Madonna) and definitely won't be out last. First time though trying out the sledging run at Piz Sorega and that was so much fun - hiring the sledges from the rental shop next to the base of the Piz Sorega gondola was €6 for three hours - we did 2 runs and it was hilarious (and slightly competitive!!!!)

If I knew how to embed photos into this I would Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys. I've been to the dollies in the autumn for walking and paragliding but have never skied there. I'd love to. It's so spectacular, but to be honest, skiing on man-made ribbons of snow is not really my thing. If seems incredible that February is nearly upon us and there has not been a single decent snowfall.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Today's 00Z brings back the possibility of some snowfall over the first 6 days of Feb. Of course it's 10 days out and again without much support.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We are going to Obereggen at half term. Last year we went at the same time and it hadn't snowed heavily there until end of January/start of February. Fingers crossed. I know the pistes will be fine, but really want the whole Narnia-esque scenery too please.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bananamoore wrote:
We are going to Obereggen at half term. Last year we went at the same time and it hadn't snowed heavily there until end of January/start of February. Fingers crossed. I know the pistes will be fine, but really want the whole Narnia-esque scenery too please.

Yeah, I'll be just over the hill in Pera di Fassa from 11th Feb, so I've got both fingers and toes crossed that we get something in the next 3 weeks!! Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just completed first ski day of annual pilgrimage to Selva, perfect pistes, blue skies, excellent food... can't complain Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@avradford, is that the group that includes PLJ?

If so, say hello from Andy B and tell him he can tell me all about it when we meet up

If not please ignore Embarassed
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not that group, but hello anyway Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A couple more photo-reports from the weekend...

Alpe Lusia on Sat 21st, followed by Val Gardena on Sun 22nd...

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=56791&start=25

View from Ciampinoi twd Plan de Gralba with Sella massif as the backdrop...

Pistes are still complete, but looks like the sun has now revealed the brown meadows again on S facing slopes.
ski holidays
Another report from Val di Fassa...Sun 22nd at Passo San Pellegrino...should update with other areas as the week progresses...

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=56947

Sunny S-facing pistes at Passo San Pellegrino

A bit whiter up at Col Margherita with Pale di San Martino in the background

ski holidays
Cannons running on Ciampinoi this evening Smile (first time for a couple of weeks..)
ski holidays
Beautiful photos, but shocking lack of real snow for deepest Winter.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Beautiful photos, but shocking lack of real snow for deepest Winter.

Yes, every storm so far this Winter has missed the Dolomites. Similar happened last season, then it started snowing in early Feb and all was forgiven!
latest report
18Z GFS looks hopeful again for something significant around 2-5 Feb. snowHead

Control run goes for a variation on the theme, but even more dramatic.

On this run, the ensemble average seems to be supporting for something to happen around the turn of the month.

Let's hope this one comes to fruition! wink
ski holidays
weird how the Dollies is missing the massive dumps that are falling in the Abruzzo and the deep south.
ski holidays
@luigi, These runs keep Showing different scenarios every time and are still a long way off, however, i'm starting to get confident as they are consistently showing something brewing up and have been for a while. Also i'm in Arabba on the birthday bash around then and I can only remember one holiday that I have been on when it hasn't snowed so I'm confident that I will magic up the snow Very Happy
ski holidays
Juddernaut wrote:
weird how the Dollies is missing the massive dumps that are falling in the Abruzzo and the deep south.

Yeah, Southern Piedmont caught some too. The High Pressure zone over N Central Europe is keeping the Med Lows away from NE Italy.

The scenario for the turn of the month is the Jetstream and the Atlantic crashing in from the W to bring a storm cycle right across the Alps.

00Z GFS continues to lend support to this view, showing a generous dump for 31st Jan-2nd Feb & another for 4th Feb, that would be nice if it happens...just a week to wait! Very Happy
ski holidays
@Matrski, work your magic! snowHead
ski holidays
00Z GFS is looking somewhat spectacular isn't it.

The event keeps cropping up and then disappearing again, but we're starting to get closer now so I'm certainly keeping my fingers crossed.
ski holidays
olderscot wrote:
00Z GFS is looking somewhat spectacular isn't it.

The event keeps cropping up and then disappearing again, but we're starting to get closer now so I'm certainly keeping my fingers crossed.

Noza & Jellybeans are getting behind this breaking of the current siege on the main weather thread!

Jellybean's 00Z charts are certainly looking great for NE Italy from 1st Feb onwards! snowHead

Some nice Genoa Low tracks pasting snow across vast swathes of the Southern Alps! snowHead
ski holidays
@luigi, my magic continues in 06z and my confidence grows, keep everything crossed Shocked
ski holidays
Matrski wrote:
@luigi, my magic continues in 06z and my confidence grows, keep everything crossed Shocked

The Force is strong with you!! That's almost a solid week of snow!! Shocked snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
12Z continues the theme, a bumpy start to Feb, FL rises at times, but looks quite snowy overall.
latest report
Cribbed from Alpinforum...yesterday's corduroy pistes at Carezza...

and a nice shot taken in the centre of Moena di Fassa...

ski holidays
Today's 00Z still has the Atlantic storm cycle sweeping in, but not a lot seems to reach the Dolomites. Sat's Med Low hits Piedmont primarily. Mon's Atlantic Front deflects along N Alps. Wed looks most hopeful as it's a biggie that sweeps right across the W Alps and lingers in N Italy, but the track is a bit WNW, not WSW which would benefit the Dolomites more. Sad
ski holidays
06Z & 12Z GFS both showing a significant snow event around 2-4 Feb along with some support for an unsettled period next week from the ensemble average...still 8 days out though!
ski holidays
Some nice views from today...

A stunning panorama shot taken from Sass Pordoi (2950m) looking down on the Belvedere (middle of pic) area above Canazei with the Alba-Ciampac area just behind.

Looking up at the Sass Pordoi, the front face itinerary run definitely needs more cover.

[/url]

The Ciampac ski are above Alba.

snow conditions
@luigi,
Quote:

Sass Pordoi, the front face itinerary run definitely needs more cover.
Just a spot.
Shocked
latest report
@Hurtle, no snow making there and it's south-facing, so needs a good snow year to be usable...maybe March if we get some snow. snowHead
ski holidays
Bergfex showing some happy times end of next week, 15 - 20cm on Friday...is this showing up anywhere else? Fingers crossed (again!) Very Happy
snow report
shiva_71 wrote:
Bergfex showing some happy times end of next week, 15 - 20cm on Friday...is this showing up anywhere else? Fingers crossed (again!) Very Happy

00Z GFS is pretty flat for next 7 days and is also showing the action starting Fri 3rd, but again it's 8 days out and without overwhelming support, does it just keep slipping away?? Sad
ski holidays
@luigi, always slipping away, like fairy dust....

Selva

ski holidays
Newbie here!

Joined the forum in the desperate hunt for even the very slightest optimistic snow forecast - for Madonna di Campaglio Feb4th - 11th. Its been as dry as Gandhi's flip flop. I know really good snow making!!

I've read a few threads on here -& above ..............what do you think the prospects are? It would seem that the weather is starting to change, high pressure eventually shifting - but knowing my luck it will either a) avoid Madonna like a repelling magnet or b) snow that much we cant get there!!!!
ski holidays
I like these threads. Pretty but incomprehensible graphs, confusing numbers, and a huge dump always on the cards in 8-10 days:D
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy