Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better!
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zillertal 2016/17 Weather Report

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hang11 wrote:
I'm escaping the stinking hot new zealand summer tomorrow and heading to Mayrhofen for a week. Really excited even if it is a bit of a long flight.

First time on a European mountain Very Happy It's going to be a novel experience going somewhere with more than two ski lifts and a gondola up the mountain.


A couple of little tips about the afterski that it took us a few days to work out. If you're staying any distance from the center rent a locker under the Penkenbahn so you can leave kit and grab some comfortable footwear (at least). Our first big night was filled with cries of "most of this lot haven't even been skiing!". We found Ice Bar - Brück'n Stadl - maybe food - then Harakiri from about 11 if it's a marathon session the best route. Scotland Yard has a smoking and non smoking side, we walked into the wrong side about 9pm on the first night - only a few people there and the ones that are are smoking indoors! We thought the nightlife was going to be a big letdown on first appearances. It ended up being legendary.

It's obvious but just incase save Tux for a bluebird day! I wish I was going back.
snow conditions     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snow Hound wrote:
hang11 wrote:
I'm escaping the stinking hot new zealand summer tomorrow and heading to Mayrhofen for a week. Really excited even if it is a bit of a long flight.

First time on a European mountain Very Happy It's going to be a novel experience going somewhere with more than two ski lifts and a gondola up the mountain.


A couple of little tips about the afterski that it took us a few days to work out. If you're staying any distance from the center rent a locker under the Penkenbahn so you can leave kit and grab some comfortable footwear (at least). Our first big night was filled with cries of "most of this lot haven't even been skiing!". We found Ice Bar - Brück'n Stadl - maybe food - then Harakiri from about 11 if it's a marathon session the best route. Scotland Yard has a smoking and non smoking side, we walked into the wrong side about 9pm on the first night - only a few people there and the ones that are are smoking indoors! We thought the nightlife was going to be a big letdown on first appearances. It ended up being legendary.

It's obvious but just incase save Tux for a bluebird day! I wish I was going back.


Awesome - thanks Happy

Catching up with a few mates I haven't seen for years, so reasonably likely that this advice will be very useful....

Got a couple of days in the UK either side of going to Austria as well.
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If I hadn't busted my shoulder I would have been in Zillertal this week end enjoying the amazing conditions Sad

Now dreaming of our return at the end of March! Cannot come fast enough 😀
latest report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snow Hound wrote:
It's obvious but just incase save Tux for a bluebird day! I wish I was going back.

For the avoidance of confusion, do you mean Tux (which is in the Mayrhofen area) or Hintertux?
snow conditions     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Snow Hound wrote:
It's obvious but just incase save Tux for a bluebird day! I wish I was going back.

For the avoidance of confusion, do you mean Tux (which is in the Mayrhofen area) or Hintertux?



Well spotted! I indeed mean Hintertux, the separate (easy bus ride from Mayrhofen station) glacial area. I hadn't noticed there was a Tux area of Mayrhofen (50er Tux lift rings a bell?), we went there no doubt, I'm pretty sure we went everywhere, with only Eggalm being in sub-amazing condition.

Ahorn is only really worth a half day if you travel at any pace but the Ice Lounge at the top is a must see.

I also forgot to mention that the bar closest to the top of Penkenbahn is the nicer of the two and that the self service restaurant up there was very good, as was pretty much everywhere we ate.
snow report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Snow Hound wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Snow Hound wrote:
It's obvious but just incase save Tux for a bluebird day! I wish I was going back.

For the avoidance of confusion, do you mean Tux (which is in the Mayrhofen area) or Hintertux?



Well spotted! I indeed mean Hintertux, the separate (easy bus ride from Mayrhofen station) glacial area. I hadn't noticed there was a Tux area of Mayrhofen (50er Tux lift rings a bell?), we went there no doubt, I'm pretty sure we went everywhere, with only Eggalm being in sub-amazing condition.


We didn't make it up to Hintertux. We had a mixed group with a couple of beginners, and the weather never really encouraged the rest of us to head straight up there in the morning whilst they were in lessons. There was so much great skiing to be done in Mayrhofen that in the end we never ventured away from there (in spite of getting up one morning with plans to head to Kaltenbach). Fully agree that Eggalm was the only place where we found some marginal conditions.

The skiing reached by the 50er Tux lift was some great open motorway blues and reds.
ski holidays     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I didn't use the lockers at the Penkenbahn over Christmas as I was staying near the train station anyway so easier for me that time to keep my stuff at the hotel (used the train a lot)
Anyhow, the lockers, are they like the Alber Check In ones in St Anton where you have a heated locker for your boots helmet and gloves and your skis go in a separate rack or is the locker big enough to put the lot in there?
And does the locker have its own boot blowers?
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm pretty sure they come in 1, 2 and 4 person sizes? You can get everything in there. In fact we got 7 people's stuff including 2 snowboards in 2x 2 person lockers. Don't remember boot blowers but do remember everything being warm enough to dry boots out. Just watch for closing times as they were cleaning round us one night - we didn't get enough passes registered (watch for this as well) and had to wait for a numpty to come back from the hotel and open the locker.
snow conditions     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@VolklAttivaS5, the Intersport depo at the Penken base or the new top shop are big enough for all equipment and heated. They do family size or smaller sizes. We found the base ideal if you want to use other areas. At the base drop you can get the lift up to the gondola level so very easy. Book online in advance.
ski holidays     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Snow Hound, @Bennyboy1,

Ok thanks
snow conditions     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bennyboy1 wrote:
[b]@VolklAttivaS5[/bAt the base drop you can get the lift up to the gondola level so very easy.

We did that until we noticed that the sign on the lift was that it was only for pushchairs, disabled, etc., i.e. not just for skiers and boarders Embarassed
snow report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sugarmoma666, since I had my arm in a sling I didn't feel so guilty after the third day. However you must b a better person than me. Embarassed
snow conditions     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bennyboy1 wrote:
@sugarmoma666, since I had my arm in a sling I didn't feel so guilty after the third day. However you must b a better person than me. Embarassed

You met the criteria. I decided I definitely didn't Happy
snow report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hello,

Apologies for the thread hijack. Can anyone recommend one of the ski schools in Mayrhofen?

There are 12 in our group of 40 year old ish women coming for a long weekend are the start of March. We have a 4 beginners, 5 intermediates and 3 advanced skiers, so probably want 3 instructors for a morning or two of private instruction/guiding.

I have found the 4 ski schools on the tourist office website, but was wondering if anyone had personal experience of using any of them.

Thank you
latest report     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Kantha, no hijack do t worry. That's what the thread is for Very Happy

We used SMT which we found generally very good but it was my kids not adults so I cannot comment for 40yr olds ish.

Skierdad gave very good feedback on Habeler and we actually got our 7 year old a private lesson at the end of the week. Nice small school with none of the big group mentality of most schools. We thought they were great so well worth speaking to them.
ski holidays     
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thank you. Good to know that I can ask non weather questions here.

Apres ski tips would also be appreciated! We are in the process of making table reservations for each night. Spots for drinks on and off the mountain would be made use of.
snow report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kantha wrote:
Thank you. Good to know that I can ask non weather questions here.

Apres ski tips would also be appreciated! We are in the process of making table reservations for each night. Spots for drinks on and off the mountain would be made use of.


I made some afterski recommendations in the posts above. Brück'n Stadl is a must at least once.
snow conditions     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Waldcafe for dinner.

(Whilst hijacking a thread isn't a biggie, this is a thread on weather, in the weather bit of the forum, so you'd be better to post in the resorts section with questions not related to the weather.)
ski holidays     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Beer and sausage for dinner.

(Whilst hijacking a thread isn't a biggie, this is a thread on weather, in the weather bit of the forum, so when Snow Hound is about to go on a trip don't hijack the main weather thread or the thread for that specific area, other than that, knock yourself out!)


Fixed that for you.
snow conditions     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Worth trying out a lot of the smaller resorts as well, especially if it drops the amount of snow it did at the weekend!


https://vimeo.com/199688412
snow report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@the_doc, where is that? The chair lifts look familiar in the background but not sure where that is in the Zillertal? Is it Gerlos?
latest report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Guys, back to Mayrhofen on the 4th Feb. Last time there was 2011, has the new 3s Penkenbahn made a difference? It was okay early in the morning but crowded on the way back down last time.
Can't wait anyway, just hoping for some more of snow before then.
Ta
latest report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Didn't que once early Jan. Cabin was almost full one afternoon just after the bars kicked out.

*queue.
ski holidays     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thats great @Snow Hound[/b], cheers
ski holidays     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@the_doc, where is that? The chair lifts look familiar in the background but not sure where that is in the Zillertal? Is it Gerlos?


Fugen, fantastic little place!
snow report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@the_doc, ah yes I know it
Going back next Christmas as this one was great even though there wasn't lots of snow
ski holidays     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the_doc wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@the_doc, where is that? The chair lifts look familiar in the background but not sure where that is in the Zillertal? Is it Gerlos?


Fugen, fantastic little place!


Spieljoch?
latest report     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just back from Mayrhofen. Blue skies, pistes in great condition. Off piste crusty I'm told. Effing cold at night.
ski holidays     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ghost Dog, Any casualties? Just booked up for the 25th March.
snow report     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
How are the snow conditions holding up in the valley? Webcams stil look ok...
snow conditions     
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Jim, there were definitely some alcohol casualties Smile

Stuart fell on Tuesday and was mumping about sore upper body while we were skiing on Wed morning but otherwise no.

Love to join you March but exams appear to preclude this. Humph, pesky kids.
snow report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Bennyboy1, I'm just back from 4 bluebird days. On piste conditions are still good. I would say a solid 7/10
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@red 27, thanks. Possible snowfall this week could help a little. I am not back until end of March so only keeping tabs.
latest report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hey guys,
Can I trust good snow on March 11-18? I have an accommodation booked for these dates and can cancel in the next few days, so have to make a decision,
Thanks!
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lots of fresh yesterday which has smartened things up nicely. Superb day on hintertux today, off piste nice, not deep but soft. Pistes in great condition, and not busy, it's all G at the moment
snow report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@michald, Go
ski holidays     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks!
snow conditions     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowing on the hill just now, should help to freshen things up.
snow conditions     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
update pleaseeee Very Happy - flying out to Mayrhofen on the 12th of March
latest report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
In kaltenbach at the mo, pistes quite good except the run into the village at the end of the day. It is busy but no queues to speak of. A few cm forecast for tomorrow and a little more on Friday will hopefully freshen things up.
snow conditions     



Derived from phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group & 2004-2013 snowHeads.com Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy