Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Public Ski Lockers in Bardonecchia / Via Latea (Milky way) & Daily Commute from Turin

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Not sure if correct forum...

I am very seriously considering feasibility of a 'daily commute' from Turin to Bardonecchia and Milky Way resorts next season going forward (am planning on buying Apartment in Turin). Just spent long weekend in Turin looking at Apartments, Areas, etc....

Ski Lockers
One of the pain points is carrying my skis & boots on public transport, i.e. Turin Bus, Train, Resort Bus - so would like to know if there are any Ski Lockers in any of the Resorts that are available to the 'Public', i.e. I will not be staying at a local Hotel???

There is Storage in Porto Nuova but it doesn't open until 8am (assuming they are on time).

So far have found one possible solution with skirentsestriere.com that seems to offer a daily rate for storage - so am going to email them (wish me luck!) and also have emailed the resort info site.

Getting There & Back
Have pretty much researched to death getting there. Best option seems to be Train from Porto Nuova in Turin and then Bus from Oulx - total time including waiting of 1 3/4 hours (am I nuts ????) excluding my commute within Turin.

I would pick up Car Hire, say at Turin Airport, but Snow Tyres are not standard in Italy and really do not want hassle of Chains. Avis say they have a couple of Lux end cars with Snow Tyres but am trying to keep cost down!

If anyone has any better suggestions please let me know. I may look to stay in cheap B&B or AirBnB for a couple of nights possibly. But am planning on at least 25 days skiing over a number of long weekends each Season

(My extreme solution is to buy an old UK banger (do not have a car), put snow tyres on, and leave it in Turin for the season and drive out each visit.) but 1 1/2 hours each way, especially after a days ski is a bit too much.

Reason for my Plan
Well after 15 plus years skiing Argentiere (and staying in the Best hotel in the valley 5 mins from the lifts) I have tired of the Compange du Mont Blanc's attitude to its 'guests', the Crowds, the really bad Food throughout the whole Valley (my French friends also despair), the £££, etc etc.

So I thought a change is needed, sort have done enough Off Piste, and really fancy something different (anyway there is Off Piste:) ) - love Italian Food & Wine, etc.

Regards to all
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Buy a cheap little used car?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I meant an Italian car, that stays in Torino
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have "commuted" from central Turin to the Via Lattea using public transport. It worked fine, I was staying right next to a bus route that went to Porto Nuova though. The train from Turin was an express to Lyon that only stopped in Oulx, train back was a bit slower.

There were several shops in Sestriere that had lockers.

All this was quite a few years ago.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you all. Will check out to see if the Lyon express still runs.

Not sure that I can buy an Italian car without some sort of residency, etc. but will investigate.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I am from Turin. Best and hassle free option is to buy a LPG car and drive to Bardonecchia. It is only 40 minutes drive with the motorway and usually not a lot of traffic although the toll is quite expensive.

Alternatively you can drive using the toll free road but during the weekend it is quite busy as locals going to Milky Way locations+Bardonecchia

There is A big Free parking near Bardonecchia Campo Smith.

I would recommend to be there a
Before 8:30 during weekend as it fills quite fast

I am pretty sure they got lockers service over there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Danebola, thank you and Welcome to snowHeads snowHead. At moment thinking of taking a UK registered car (may have to buy what we call an "old banger") with snow tyres and leaving in Turin during the season.

Good to know re the 40 minute drive. Argentiere has spoiled me with a 3 minute walk!!! Am trying to work out if I would be able to sustain a regular daily commute for each of my long weekend visits.

Am thinking of September / October dry run to get a feel for the drive - also to Oulx etc.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy