Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2016/17 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Any idea how much snow has fallen?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Handy Turnip, See http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Saalbach/6day/mid

Can't get any sense out of the resort website, but when I checked a few hours ago, it was saying that about 20 - 30 cm had fallen. More expected but then a thaw next weekend. As usual, wait and see (and hope).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had 16cm to clear today in Fieberbrunn (at 860 metres). A little more fell in the morning but it has stopped snowing now.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers all! I'm already glued to snow forecast but was just curious whether the reality matched the forecast! Or hopefully bettered it!!! wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well I'm expecting the snow in the villages to disappear, but hopefully some of the stuff a bit higher up might hang around a bit longer...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As of yesterday, Saalbach appears to have a new website, which (at least on first acquaintance) I find most irritating and difficult to navigate. Why couldn't they have left it as it was - bah, humbug.

Whether we see green slopes again before the winter will all depend on what the weather has in store for us in the next few weeks. As the last two years proved there is no longer any "normal" - or is there?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That website is beginning to make more sense; I think they must still be adding features. The snow report section is now saying that there is 65cm on upper slopes and up to 20cm on lower slopes. More significant snow forecast on Friday and then getting a bit warmer.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The only webcam I seem to be able to access if the live feed. White stuff still falling down to the village.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@hammerite, the fieberbrunn webcams seem to be working ok via bergfex. And indeed it's looking lovely Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hammerite wrote:
The only webcam I seem to be able to access if the live feed. White stuff still falling down to the village.

Me too, I'm using the app and with the exception of the live streams, the rest of the webcams don't appear to be working.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Judging by the way every snow cannon in the valley is running at the moment, they reckon anything put down now will last. It's looking lovely snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I guess they're making hay while the sun shines (or is that snow while the temps are low). They'll hope to build an initial base big enough to survive any brief warm spells.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
After the last couple of years no doubt people are being cautious, and they're right to be so; nonetheless there seem to be some grounds for optimism. We have no bookings until Xmas Eve, and if the start to the season is indeed a good one this year, and our situation is typical, there may well be some great pre-Xmas skiing on empty slopes.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The German alpinforum.com has several fine photos of the Schönleiten gondola here - with snow Very Happy (originally from Twitter and Instagram).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes, they've also been posted to Facebook.
latest report
The rest of the webcams now seem to be working, i like the hinterglemm zwölferkogelbahn one to give me a sense of conditions particularly when the white stuff falls, if it's snowing there then it's great at the top
snow report
Getting warmer next week...eek! The usual roller-coaster has begun.
snow conditions
Once again there are photos of work in progress on the Schönleiten gondola on alpinforum.com. This time the photos show more what is being done in the valley, widening of the track leading down from Jausern (piste 2b) and the ramp up from the tunnel (do the power cables coming there mean that we lazy are getting a magic carpet?).
snow report
In view of the currently fabulous snow conditions in Saalbach-Hinterglemm, the lift company is opening part of the area - the Zwoelferkogel and Asitz sectors - for skiing on 19th and 20th November (2 weeks before the official opening date). Also on 26th/27th November.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 14-11-16 23:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Tatman - a small group of us are thinking about a short trip to Saalbach in December, probably 15th-18th Dec. How 'open' will the town be? And by town I mean the apres bars and mountain bars/restaurants. I know the Hinterhag doesn't open until after Christmas (Boxing Day if I remember correctly) so hopefully others will be.
ski holidays
Open enough. I know that Bobby's Pub and the Underbar will be open, and presumably also many, if not most, of the other bars and restaurants. After all the resort officially opens on 2nd December and, in view of the early snow, there will be no incentive or reason for anyone to delay opening. The Hinterhag is always the last one to open, but I believe that applies only to its daily apres-ski party - you should still be able to get a drink and possibly something to eat in there. I imagine that many people are cautiously optimistic but waiting to see how the weather pans out in the next week or so. If it continues to look promising, I would expect quite a lot of interest in pre-Christmas ski trips. Only yesterday, we even had a booking for the week beginning 26th November!
In previous years (forget the last two!), when we've been skiing in the week or two before Christmas, it's been idyllic - perfectly groomed, empty slopes.
ski holidays
Even last year, the pre pre-xmas week (12-19) with 100% artificial snow and green fields all around the skiing was still good, on perfectly groomed empty slopes Smile
snow report
We were there xmas week last year. Thought it was quite quiet in town, Bauers? at the bottom of Hinterhag slope was resonably busy for apres but generally the bars around town were quiet. Mountain restaurants were all open from what we could see..
ski holidays
Great news, thanks. All eye's on the weather over the next week or so before making our decision. Flight wise it looks like we might do UK -> Munich due to better arrival and departure times (allowing us to make the most the little amount of holiday we have left to take at work) even if it does mean a longer transfer.
ski holidays
There's also the Rave on Snow which I think is happening 2nd weekend in December. This at least gives all the bars taking part a reason to get themselves sorted early December.
snow report
This e-mail has just been received from the Saalbach lift company:

Due to the great snow conditions a part of the ski resort (Zwölferkogel in Hinterglemm and Asitz in Leogang) will open at the weekend (Saturday, 19 & Sunday, 20 November 2016).
Lifts operating on 19 and 20 November

- Zwölferkogelbahn I+II (daily from 8.30 am – 04.15 pm),
valley run possible
Winkler Alm and 12er Treff opened
- Asitzbahn I+II (daily from 8.00 am – 4.30 pm),
descent to the middle station possible
- Lifts at the Asitzmulde (daily from 9.00 am – 04.00 pm)
Alte Schmiede and Stöcklalm opened

Special Ski Ticket Rates:

Adult Teen Child
(1998-2000) (2001-2010)

till 12:30 pm € 24,00 € 18,00 € 12,00
from 11:30 am € 24,00 € 18,00 € 12,00
1 day € 30,00 € 22,50 € 15,00
2 days € 59,00 € 44,00 € 29,50

Details about the lift operation from 26 - 27 November 2016 will follow.

You can receive further information regarding lift operation from our offices:
- Hinterglemmer Bergbahnen: +43 6541 6321-0
- Leoganger Bergbahnen: +43 6583 8219-0
ski holidays
Saalbach on Sunday
http://snowmediazone.com/the_zone/snowheads-personal-galleries/p35720-img-4043.html

i'm sure a helpful Snowhead will be along to advise me how to post a picture properly Toofy Grin
latest report
Try previewing the post first then 'post' from there. Seems to work on a lot of forums. I'm no expert though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just copy one of the links on the right of the snowmediazone page into your post - they're ready formatted
ski holidays
Thank you Geoffers

Looking towards Hinterglem
snow report
5 of us have booked a long weekend thurs to mon end of Jan. We are staying in the thomsn rock hotel hintergleem. We left it too late to get anywhere central in saalbach.

Im looking for some advice on hintergleem, in particular ski hire. We get into Munich Thursday morning so aim to get a few runs in after 3pm thurs pm.

This worked out well last year in saalbach with ski pass for following day usable from 3pm and the sound ski rental man Hansi giving us the tatman discount and not charging us for the few hours ski rental that day. We enjoyed a few runs and also a great evenings apres ski on the mountain on day of arrival - imporyant when you only have a long weekend.

Anyway can anyone recommend a local ski rental shop in hintergleem for a good deal who might not charge us a full day rental on ski gear when we wont collect until just before 3pm?

Id like to use a local shop as opposed to a big chain ( in westendorf a few years ago sport 2000 charged me a full day rental when i rocked up to shop at 3pm and no night skiing available)

Ive learnt on this thread that there is night skiing in hintergleem so we might get some value for a full days rental if needs be.

Any advice on ski rental or general hintergleem stuff greatly welcomed
ski holidays
Friends have been using Hubsi http://www.hubsi.eu/ for their kids (now young adults) for years and he's great - out of town at the top end of the valley in the ZwolferNordbahn gondola station, so just jump on the bus to the end of town (stops outside the shop), get your skis and you're straight into the gondola.

He did a great service to my skis last Xmas, at a good discount too being with my friends...

Just checked their website
Quote:
Your sports shop with tradition.
Hubsi's sports shop was founded by Hubert Berger more than 20 years ago. In 2011, the shop and the workshop were renovated.
Your safety and satisfaction is our priority.
so maybe an eMail to them might get you sorted

PS I'm not on any commission ... snowHead snowHead
snow report
Thanks Geoffers could be a good option. I was hoping for something nearer the hotel / reiterkogelbahn as the brother is notorious for changing his boots after day 1. But beggars csnt be choosers Very Happy
ski holidays
@landers, we hired with Hervis last time we were in Hinterglemm. I can't remember the time we collected the skis, but we did ski on the afternoon of arrival. However, their service was pretty poor as were the skis.

Practically next door to them is Snow and Fun, their hire skis looked good quality and well looked after. Be warned that the shop also doubles as the booking centre for their ski school which is probably the biggest ski school in Hinterglemm. They also seemed to be the preferred hire shop of the tour operators - so they can get a bit busy. That said you'll probably be fine for a Thursday afternoon arrival. Snow and Fun are nearest the Ubahn lift station which is just a couple of mins away - perfect for the late night skiing.

Iirc the shops nearest the Reiterkogel are Intersport affiliated on the main village street. When I was there in the summer there was a bike shop right underneath the Reiterkogel that was called Bike n Soul, I'd be very surprised if they don't swap the bikes out for skis for the winter season.
ski holidays
Gumpold or Rabbit Sports are the 'local' shops in Hinterglemm, along with Snow & Fun. Snow & Fun run the shop under the Reiterkogel lift as well as their large shop on the main street. I don't know if any will give as good service as Hansi in Saalbach.
ski holidays
Thanks Quinton and hammerite... ill probably go with one of the local shops
latest report
@landers, Glad you enjoyed Saalbach last year, and that Hansi looked after you. If you're staying near the Reiterkogelbahn, the order of the day for the first afternoon might be a few runs on the Reiterkogel, followed by apres-ski at the Goassstall, followed by night skiing. You'll find the floodlit piste very worthwhile. It was extended a few years ago and also given its own gondola cable car.
snow conditions
As I have reported with more emphasis on conditions in the Snow Reports thread I was skiing in the Glemmtal yesterday and celebrating the initiation of the new Schönleiten gondola. The info board at the top of the Schönleiten shows that there wasn't all that much open yet...

...but still enough for a good day's skiing (we managed around 10,000 vertical metres).

The new Schönleitenbahn is great, attracting not only skiers but also deer (though they were too fast for me to photograph). Sitting is certainly more comfortable between runs. In addition, at the middle station there is a lift to make life easier to get aboard coming from piste 64, though it is just about possible to swing round to the higher entrance if you ski down fast enough and there aren't too many people standing around...

Here's a photo of the top station of the gondola...

A worthwhile improvement.
snow report
Saalbach officially opened yesterday and is reporting that 45 lifts are running, all links are open, and 130km of piste is currently available. The temp is currently sub-zero and the forecast is for freeze/thaw conditions, which should allow plenty of snow-making. All we need really is that first big dump of the season to set things up nicely for Christmas.
snow conditions
Cheers Tatman's Tours, that's filled me with confidence after watching a lot of green on the webcams recently!

Although saying that, it seems to have turned white at resort level overnight - has there been an overnight dusting or just the snow cannons at work?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy