Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2016/17 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Going to the ski circus for the first time in Jan - very excited! Many thanks to Tatman's Tours for the wealth of information you sent through a couple of months ago - definitely made my decision a lot easier!!

Just a short trip this time (Jan 3rd for 4 nights - so 3 days skiing), so although I really wanted to stay in Saalbach, the cheapest place was £150pp more expensive than the equivilent in Hinterglemm so I think we're going to stay there. Good location to lifts, plus I'm sure we'll spend plenty of time in Saalbach anyway!

Looking forward to picking up any tips from here - and I'm sure I'll be asking a few questions in the coming weeks about recommended runs etc!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nothing wrong with Hinterglemm, easy access to the slopes on either side of the valley. Also the night slope is in hinterglemm accessed via the ubahn gondola, the snow park is there as well , the toboggan track is accessed via the reiterkogel lift, the World Cup run from the top of the zwolferkogel lift. Apres ski aplenty including the Goasstall which gets lively plus numerous bars in the village, great place to stay!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers @summerseat, that's made me feel even better!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Handy Turnip, You are going to have a fantastic time. I visit Saalbach every year, and it only gets better and better with new lifts and more links.

Hinterglemm is just as good really. And don't forget the horse-drawn sleigh ride in the evening at the end of the valley! It is totally magical, and takes you to an old farmhouse where you have dinner before the ride back.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 14-10-16 23:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PeDaSp wrote:

Hinterglemm is just as good really. And don't forget the horse-drawn sleigh ride in the evening at the end of the valley! It is totally magical, and takes you to an old farmhouse where you have dinner before the ride back.

Love the sound of that! Might have to do a bit of investigation into that and surprise the girlfriend!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Many thanks to Tatman's Tours for the wealth of information you sent through a couple of months ago - definitely made my decision a lot easier!!

@Handy Turnip, You're very welcome. If you're in our neck of the woods, as I'm sure you will be some days, let me know. I would suggest that, on at least one day, you plan an itinerary over to Leogang (lunch at the Chicken Man - or Mama Thresl's Hendl Fischerei, to give his establishment its proper name, or the Alte Schmiede or the Asitzbraeu), followed by the Bergeralm's Happy Hour (3.30-4.30pm), followed by the Hinterhagalm party (4.00-7.30pm) - then a taxi back to Hinterglemm. (Incidentally, in all years in Saalbach, we've never once had to book a taxi - there is always one at hand, and they whizz you between Saalbach and Hinterglemm in little over 5 minutes).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can recommend this video, focusing on free-ride in Fieberbrunn:
http://youtube.com/v/NEa8ySnyPGw
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I really must stop looking at this thread!
1. Lunch at the Chicken Man
2. Bergeralm Happy Hour
3. Hinterhagalm party

Chuck in a run or two and you just described my perfect ski day Tatman, see you soon!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Kooky, Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi all Smile

We have a week booked in Hinterglemm 21-28th Jan next year. First time to the area and first time booking without a holiday company. I have a quick question about transfers from Salzburg airport. I was advised by one of the members here to use the Holiday Shuttle (www.holiday-shuttle.at) but unfortunately I can't seem to locate a transfer time close to our arrival time of 12:55. Is this just bad luck and I'll have to try a different way of getting to and from the airport?

Thanks,

Jon
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jonny909, Holiday Shuttle is the easiest transfer, but as you've discovered, your 12.55 arrival just misses the 12.45 departure and the next scheduled Shuttle is 15.15, so after collecting your bags you'd have 2 hours to kill. Salzburg airport has a nice restaurant and free WiFi, but 2 hours can drag when you're keen to get to the resort.

If there are 4 of you travelling together, you can book a VIP taxi from Holiday Shuttle for €340 return, which is only €4 more than 4 return tickets on the scheduled Shuttle (€336), and the taxi runs to your timetable. Book a VIP taxi for 13.30 and you could be in resort for 15.00 - and in time to get an hour of free skiing as your 6-day pass (starting on Sunday) is actually valid from 15.00 on Saturday.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kooky wrote:
I really must stop looking at this thread!
1. Lunch at the Chicken Man
2. Bergeralm Happy Hour
3. Hinterhagalm party

Chuck in a run or two and you just described my perfect ski day Tatman, see you soon!

Exactly! Bit disappointed I'll miss the group trip to Hinterglemm in Jan, but couldn't get a single room (husband doesn't ski).

I need to get back to Saalbach one day.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Handy Turnip wrote:
PeDaSp wrote:

Love the sound of that! Might have to do a bit of investigation into that and surprise the girlfriend!

Tip to make the girlfriend think you are "sensitive" and care about animals and children: Bring a couple of carrots with you to feed the horses, and pull them out of your pocket at the right moment. Cool Cool Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

couldn't get a single room

@HoneyBunny, We often have one going spare! Get in touch if we can help.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cheers Tatman's Tours, great tips, we'll definitely give all those a go!!

PeDaSp wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:
PeDaSp wrote:

Tip to make the girlfriend think you are "sensitive" and care about animals and children: Bring a couple of carrots with you to feed the horses, and pull them out of your pocket at the right moment. Cool Cool Cool

PeDaSp, I'm loving this idea!!! That's just genius!
snow report
Tatman's Tours wrote:
Quote:

couldn't get a single room

@HoneyBunny, We often have one going spare! Get in touch if we can help.

Thank you, that's very kind, but I don't think it would work with the others staying in Hinterglemm...
snow conditions
quinton wrote:
Book a VIP taxi for 13.30 and you could be in resort for 15.00 - and in time to get an hour of free skiing as your 6-day pass (starting on Sunday) is actually valid from 15.00 on Saturday.

Is that definitely the case?

Just booked for Saalbach at New Year, first time after more recent visits to Zell and Soll, looks an intermediates paradise.

Does anyone know what the ski schools are like for teenagers? I've got a 15 year old daughter who's already better than me and a 13 year old son who is even better. I've always been in the advanced intermediate group and am wondering if they might be better in an adult class than with younger kids who maybe aren't as advanced. Not sure what the cross over point is with the adults.
snow report
@DaveMc, we had lessons with Snow and Fun in Hinterglemm. We were in the most advanced adult group and Jnr was in the most advanced kids/teens group (he was just beginning to race train back here at the time). All 3 of us felt like we were pushed. Obviously it depends on how many other skiers there are at a similar level (or better) as to the make up of the group, but given you are going for New Year there should be quite a few different ability levels in both kids and adult groups.
ski holidays
@DaveMc, Definitely valid from 15.00 on the day before.

For anyone arriving early on a Saturday, be aware that a day ticket for anyone under 19 only costs €10 on Saturdays. This applies to the Ski Circus and there is the same deal in Zell am See/Kaprun.

Ski schools have a good reputation in Saalbach-Hinterglemm. For group lessons and kids, try Fürstauer or Snowacademy in Saalbach, or Snow and Fun in Hinterglemm. For privates, any of these, plus Zink in Saalbach or Freeride Ski School in Saalbach. Stefan at Freeride is the top guy for anyone wanting freeriding and off-piste around Saalbach and Fieberbrunn.
snow conditions
Thanks for the feedback, we arrive in resort around 12pm so after check in and the usual fun of ski/boot hire we can squeeze a cheeky hour or so in on the slopes now I wasn't expecting Very Happy

Ski school is booked through Crystal so we'll be with whoever they have partnered up with, any idea which ski school that may be?

It's difficult with teenage kids to know what's best, they don't want to be with all younger kids as they feel like they're more grown up but also might be too young for an adult group. Like you say with it being new year there may be a large pool of similar teenagers they could end up with which would be ideal. I guess they can always go from the kids school into an adult group if they aren't happy.
snow conditions
@DaveMc, you can ski for longer than an hour when you arrive if you get yourself to Hinterglemm as the Ubahn stays open for night skiing.
ski holidays
Random (and possibly very stupid!) question - a lot of the ski runs on the piste map are highlighted yellow. What does that mean?
snow report
@ Handy Turnip, I think those are pistes that have snowmaking on them.
ski holidays
@Handy Turnip, It means 'don't eat yellow snow here' wink

or possibly indicates where the 900 snow canons are placed to provide artificial snow when needed.
latest report
Cheers @Icebear, @quinton!!! Definitely won't eating yellow snow (or making any of my own!)
snow report
quinton wrote:
@jonny909 If there are 4 of you travelling together, you can book a VIP taxi from Holiday Shuttle for €340 return, which is only €4 more than 4 return tickets on the scheduled Shuttle (€336), and the taxi runs to your timetable. Book a VIP taxi for 13.30 and you could be in resort for 15.00 - and in time to get an hour of free skiing as your 6-day pass (starting on Sunday) is actually valid from 15.00 on Saturday.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately there are only two of us so a VIP taxi isn't an option. Unless between now and January we can find another couple on the same flight with the same predicament. Do you think it's worth posting the question on the forum to see if there's anyone on our flight needing a transfer share?

I also heard that perhaps it is possible to hitch a ride (for a fee) on one of the tour operator's coaches. Not sure if that's possible though.
latest report
@jonny909, We have two lots of guests arriving at Salzburg Airport at 13.25 on the same date as you, so I'll make some enquiries. Otherwise, as quinton has said, it may be a question of waiting for a couple of hours at the airport. The only other possibility would to take the shuttle bus to Salzburg Railway Station (the last time I did it, it cost 2 euros and took about 10 mins, and from there a train to Zell am See (see www.oebb.at), and then a taxi (or the public bus if the timing is fortuitous) to Saalbach-Hinterglemm. However, if it were me, I'd just resign myself to a couple of hours (maybe less if the flight is delayed) of reading a book or listening to my iPod whilst waiting for the next shuttle.
ski holidays
@jonny909, I've ascertained that 2 of our incoming guests are happy to share a VIP taxi with you. I haven't yet heard from the others. Can you send me your contact details via PM or my e-mail address (see website below).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Still considering Saalbach for our xmas trip - we can only travel 24th-31st December - with those dates this year getting so close to New Year what are people's experiences of lift queues and just as importantly how busy the pistes get especially on the days running up to New Year? I'm guessing the resort will get progressively full from the 27th onwards but to what extent?

We fancy skiing in Austria or Italy this xmas for a change rather than France (in resort costs/value of the £ is a factor too) but kind of want the ski convenience you usually get in France which can rule a few of the Austrian resorts out - any other suggestions?
ski holidays
Christmas week in saalbach is usually very civilised with the resort only about 60% full. The new year crowds arrive after Christmas but this year it's anybody's guess whether the big influx will be delayed until NYE. Even during NY week it's not a bad resort for queuing and piste congestion, as the 12 gondolas tend to disperse people around the area, bottlenecks being relatively few. For maximum ski convenience try to book accommodation near to one of the village centre gondolas [in Saalbach those in the upper part of the village].
ski holidays
So with Christmas and New year both on weekends, when is Christmas and New Year week?

We're arriving on the 3rd Jan, and (with everyone back at work and kids going back to school) I assumed this would be a quiet week. It didn't occur to me that it might fall into 'new year' week?
ski holidays
We're travelling with a TO (Neilson) for the first time in a few years. Christmas week for them is 20-27th. I assume you might be with Neilson too as it falls in with their schedule.

I find that Saalbach seems to be less reliant on tour operators and therefore I think most will come and go as is convenient with them or the accommodation.
snow conditions
It seems to be a bit random this year. We're doing a conventional Sat - Sat with xmas guests arriving on xmas eve and NY guests arriving on NYE. I've noticed that flights on those 2 Saturdays are very cheap, so we may be exceptional in sticking to the normal Saturday changeover.
latest report
@hammerite, yes you're right, we're travelling with Neilson. That makes sense, 2 tues-tues weeks to cover Xmas and New Year, and then a short Tues-Sat (which is the one we're doing) to bring them back to Sat-Sat for the rest of the season.

As Tatman's Tours says, it sounds like everyone is doing it a bit differently! Fingers crossed it's not too busy when we're there!!
snow report
Tatman's Tours wrote:
@jonny909, I've ascertained that 2 of our incoming guests are happy to share a VIP taxi with you. I haven't yet heard from the others. Can you send me your contact details via PM or my e-mail address (see website below).

Brilliant! Thanks very much for your help. I'll PM you my details in a moment.
ski holidays
Koenig booked for 7th January 😀🇦🇹😀🍻⛷🇦🇹🇦🇹🇦🇹🇦🇹😀😀😀😀
latest report
@boabski, good hotel! Enjoy..
snow conditions
@HoneyBunny, thanks - had read a good few comments on here last year when we were looking to go to the area, and ended up going to Hinterglemm. This time round the package from Crystal was too good not to go Very Happy Walked past it in the summer too - bring it on Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Webcams looking good today!!!!

Not that i am looking or obsessed at all!
latest report
@mattiwilkin, It's great to see but trying not to count my chickens in case mother nature's dicking with us again. I see that the forecast is for warm temps and rain next weekend, and of course it's still early.

@boabski, We'll be looking down at your bedroom (if it's at the back of the hotel), so watch what you're getting up to!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy