Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2016/17 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@SCollier1,
Quote:

Sampled the chicken at the Hendl Fischerei today. Blimey it was as good as everyone has said.

Madeye-Smiley Going again tomorrow! It seems to be drawing a lot of people in that direction.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fantastic, thanks for the great info @Tatman's Tours.

That's reassuring re canons as I couldn't see them running on the cams over the last couple of days but can see them tonight in Hinterglemm Smile

Xmas may be slightly quieter than expected if the BA & baggage handler strike goes ahead..! Currently incredibly fuming..
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Tatman, can you please one day sample the ribs, they looked mighty fine Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hammerite wrote:
@quinton, no worries.

@Tatman's Tours I was checking out the webcams earlier and even though the temperature was showing as 5C at the time the snow cannons were blasting away, which surprised me. I thought they can only run with sub zero temps.

temp sensor likely exposed to sun. In theory if really low humidity snow can be made above zero - to do with wet bulb temperature - and also chemicals can be used, but Austria doesn't use them.

I believe the humidity is low right now

latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@quinton,
Yep, I read about the ski instructor's bit, but as it's so early, I thought there must be something more. Already intimately familiar with 'Dinner for one'. Very Happy It's same procedure as every year

quinton wrote:

After many drinks, everyone walks up onto the Turm piste, behind Bauer's, for midnight. The lights go out, the church bells ring, people crack open the bubbly and then all hell breaks out as people let off thousands of rockets, bangers, jumping-jacks and other random pyrotechnics. If you are an elf & safety elf, stay away for the sake of your sanity.

Thanks! This was the bit that I was interested in! We're a family of elves, so I have an interest in safety, but hopefully the fireworks can be enjoyed at a reasonably safe distance. Kids won't go to sleep before midnight anyway.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Coming to hinterglemm 18th Jan for 4 days.(can't wait)

Hoping to party at the hinterhag each night. Last time we came we were given a table upstairs. What a night that was. Is there any way of booking a table preferably upstairs.

Thanks in advance
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mattiwilkin,
Quote:

Is there any way of booking a table preferably upstairs.

On the first day, speak to Milan - he's the well-built waiter who stands behind Evi when she's doing her Herzltanz and distributing hearts. He controls the booking of tables upstairs.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I know the man. He is a Legend. We kept letting him through with 4 pints in each hand on our first night. The following evening he just offered us a table. What a night. He kept us well refreshed and was more than willing to down the lightweight amongst us drinks Everytime he was double parked.

Thanks will get in there early on the first night.

Can't wait. Hopefully the current weather set up will change by then too. Although skiing still looks good. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

He is a Legend. We kept letting him through with 4 pints in each hand on our first night.

Lightweight - I've witnessed the waiter downstairs at the Hinterhag Alm carry a tray with 8 large beers in one hand and an ice bucket containing ice, a bottle of vodka, 6 cans of Red Bull and 6 shots glasses in the other hand (actually under his arm) and somehow manage to weave his way through the dancing throng without spilling anything. I've also seen him with double-decker trays - i.e. a full tray of beers with a tray of shots balanced on top - all carried on one hand.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Any of sign of any snow?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Handy Turnip, see https://www.worldweatheronline.com/saalbach-weather/salzburg/at.aspx

It's supposed to be lightly snowing tonight, but nothing to get excited about.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Any recommendations for an instructor folks. Heading to saalbach on 7th Jan and thinking of getting an instructor for us for the first morning. Any advice much appreciated
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@boabski, I'll send you a PM
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
poelstaler, a member of the German language alpinforum.com ski forum, has posted details he received in a reply from the Saalbach lift company of proposed developments in the area in coming years (original post here: http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=792&sid=f6ff6d24f4a799d1127a3a3f3d7e4e9e&p=5101627#p5101627). There listed in priority order (presumably highest priority first) are
1. Zwölferkogelbahn - seems a bit unnecessary to me but maybe a priority in relation to the possible World Championships 2023
2. Kohlmaisbahn - modern gondola instead of the current group cabin lift
3. Limbergbahn - couplable chairlift to replace the current fixed seat chairlift
4. Streuböden (Fieberbrunn) - modern gondola to replace the group cabin lift. I'm not clear whether this implies both sections of the current lift.
There is no information about when the lifts might be built.

It looks as though they have only mentioned replacements for current lifts, possibly because in those cases there are no regulatory hurdles expected. I would have expected a lift from Viehhofen to the Asitz (or thereabouts) sometime soon and had hoped it would be built in a couple of years at the same time as the bottom section of the zellamseeXpress. There have also been rumours of a lift from Jausern (maybe from the bottom station of the Schönleiten gondola) on to the Schattberg, though I have no idea when that might come.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@espri, No real surprises there. The Zwoelferkogelbahn is getting a bit scruffy, and the Kohlmaisgipfelbahn is looking a bit dated. The Limberg chair lift is clanky and tortuously slow, compared with the fast, modern lifts that have become the norm.

I agree with your comments about the expectation of a lift from Viehhofen to the Asitz - some time in the next few years. Presumably there would also be a likely improvement of piste 68, with snow-making and possibly a new reservoir. (A Viehhofen resident told me a few days ago that it used to have snow cannons - presumably mobile ones - until a couple of years ago, but the environmental lobby forced their discontinuance, on the basis that they were were drawing water from natural sources, rather than a reservoir.)
latest report
Tatman's Tours wrote:
The Zwoelferkogelbahn is getting a bit scruffy

I've never noticed that, though I suppose I don't use it that often and it is about 25 years old. And, mind you, I remember it like this...

...in 1968 Laughing
snow conditions
@espri, I suppose the Zwolferkogel and Kohlmais move up in priority as they get a lot of summer use too. When we were there in the summer I hardly saw a cabin empty, certainly not the ones that allow bikes.
snow report
There was about 1cm of fresh snow here Sunday night, which freshened things up and gave the place a better feel, however was short lived on the south facing slopes where it has almost all gone.
Despite this, the pistes have been riding great, staying fresh on north facing slopes right down to the valley. only getting soft today on the slopes directly in the sunlight.
Snowmaking has definitely done a better job than the previous two years with slopes like 14,2b,7a and 26 being open when the weren't last year

Some photos of the last two days:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ojoedfwrcw3xy0i/AABBaxE-RoGkzFmz3L6h42I2a?dl=0

ski holidays
I'm beginning to worry a bit that the slopes will be all mush when we get there. Now they're forecasting rain too. Sad
snow report
@SkiingDad, first full day skiing today for us. The skiing is very good, started to get soft after lunch where we've skied, but no slushy mounds because it just isn't busy enough to get too chopped up. Could be very different at the weekend.

-2.2c at the Schönleiten base station about an hour ago, 13c in the sun at the top.
snow report
I should add, those pistes protected from the sun are in fantastic condition all day.
ski holidays
Quick question - for 9 days skiing would anyone reccomend getting the allstar pass which covers Zell, Kaprun, KitzbĂĽhel to name but a few.. we'll have a car so wondered if it was worth it, particularly with the ability to go up high in Kaprun on clear days given current snow situation (which I should add I'm not concerned about due to the snowmaking already done) and get a couple of days out in kitsbhuel / Zell. Not skied in any others apart from KitzbĂĽhel on the race weekend so didn't see much. All decent enough skiers so can cover distance and not worried about colours of runs etc. just wondered if it was good value to explore different resorts.

Many thanks..
latest report
@p20pjd, yes. Endless variety, if that interests you and don't mind some driving. My skiing guests usually buy the Allstar or Salzburg Super Ski Card and we ski a different area each day. Mind you, they are chaffeured Laughing And they have a guide who knows the areas, so no pfaffing around. On the other hand, there is a lot of skiing in the Ski Circus too. So the decision is largely a matter of your tastes.
snow conditions
@espri, thanks.

I do like the idea of seeing other resorts too (particularly with 9 days available) and know that Saalbach is a huge area too. If it was 6 days or there was a metre of fresh snow, I'd probably stick to saalbach but there looks to be lots open in Zell and am thinking Kaprun would be good on a nice day. The downside is I don't know the other areas so will probably doing a bit of pfaffing..
ski holidays
espri wrote:
@p20pjd, yes. Endless variety, if that interests you and don't mind some driving. My skiing guests usually buy the Allstar or Salzburg Super Ski Card and we ski a different area each day. Mind you, they are chaffeured Laughing And they have a guide who knows the areas, so no pfaffing around. On the other hand, there is a lot of skiing in the Ski Circus too. So the decision is largely a matter of your tastes.

Very Happy I can tell you've done a lot of driving between Munich and Land Salzburg/Tirol.

Pfaffing is our favourite roadsign on the autobahn and we are always tempted to stop there, but we usually don't have time to pfaff around. Big Wink
ski holidays
@honved, where is the Pfaffing you know? The one I think of is between Saalfelden and Maria Alm and I passed it yesterday. Always brings a smile Very Happy
snow report
p20pjd wrote:
@espri, thanks.

I do like the idea of seeing other resorts too (particularly with 9 days available) and know that Saalbach is a huge area too. If it was 6 days or there was a metre of fresh snow, I'd probably stick to saalbach but there looks to be lots open in Zell and am thinking Kaprun would be good on a nice day. The downside is I don't know the other areas so will probably doing a bit of pfaffing..

Kaprun is good on a nice day, but obviously very exposed being on top of a glacier so it needs to be a nice day and not windy. Certainly good for a change for a day, but can get busy if it's been poor weather and you suddenly get a good day, as everyone in Zell has the same Idea and heads there.

Zell has a nice variety of slopes and is pretty easy to navigate around so little danger of pfaffing. the "right hand side" of the piste map is usually quite quiet too as you need to be confident on reds to navigate to and from it so it keeps the beginners away, and the two blacks down to the Trass express, (13&14?) are lovely runs - if not icy.

The Salzburger pass is only about €20 more than a one resort pass so worth it, even if you only venture further afield for 1 or 2 days.
latest report
@t44tomo, sold. Decision made. Thanks..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
espri wrote:
@honved, where is the Pfaffing you know? The one I think of is between Saalfelden and Maria Alm and I passed it yesterday. Always brings a smile Very Happy

It's your Pfaffing that I was thinking of. I've even cycled through it.

I was misguidedly thinking of Holzkirchen, which we always comment on heading south on the autobahn, and wonder how many wooden churches there are and whether they are as worth seeing as the brown tourist signs imply.
ski holidays
Ah, @honved, good. Though I can't think of any wooden churches in Holzkirchen, maybe in the good old days. As a great pfaffer abouter I enjoy these word plays, like Attaching up near Munich airport. Simple things for simple minds Laughing
snow report
After 4 very sunny days, today turned a little bit cloudy, but mostly clear. We did the Ski Circus Challenge route and Jnr clocked over 100km on his phone, helped no doubt by the hard and fast pistes and lack of crowds, the lack of "real" snow isn't bothering us!

Merry Christmas all!
snow conditions
@hammerite, Merry Christmas Paul - nice to meet you in Bobby's. 100km in one day is no mean feat - presumably without repeating any piste twice?
latest report
@Tatman's Tours Merry Christmas too.

No, we didn't repeat any piste today. Although we had done all of them in the previous few days. The only lift we used twice was the Westgipfel, once at the beginning of the day and once at the end of the day as we fancied one more run. We didn't stop for lunch until gone 2pm too just in case (Hochalm), we noted that the signs were saying the Tirol S was closing at 3pm so wanted to get back over our side just in case.

Incidentally, our conversation about Fieberbrunn on Monday... The food at the Streubödenalm is good, we went there yesterday, so it might be worth a stop there when you go over.
snow conditions
@hammerite, Thanks for the tip.
ski holidays
The Salzburg superski pass and the Allstar pass now cover the same areas so the choice this year is even bigger.
snow report
Big difference today. I've spent most of the week thinking that I'm an average to good skier. Everything has been flat, hard and fast. Today when there was some fresh snow, changeable visibility and lumps and bumps my opinion of my own skiing ability changed! Still seemed to improve how I handled things throughout the day. We bypassed the Chicken Man (heresy) and slummed it at the Alte Schmeide for Christmas lunch.

Lifts were opening and closing all day depending on the wind (we tried to get home using the Reiter Ost, but that was shut so had ski down the Bernkogel and get the bus back. Snow was falling heavily in places, but as the day went on the snowline seemed to increase. It was raining up to mid station by the early evening.

We did some night skiing up until about 6pm. Despite the rain, conditions were good. It hadn't been pisted but it wasn't chopped up and quite easy to ski. The amount of visibility the floodlights give is excellent.

Another really good day.
ski holidays
hammerite wrote:
Big difference today. I've spent most of the week thinking that I'm an average to good skier. Everything has been flat, hard and fast. Today when there was some fresh snow, changeable visibility and lumps and bumps my opinion of my own skiing ability changed!

Felt exactly the same in St. Johann - especially after I had missed the edge of the prepared piste Very Happy
latest report
espri wrote:
hammerite wrote:
Big difference today. I've spent most of the week thinking that I'm an average to good skier. Everything has been flat, hard and fast. Today when there was some fresh snow, changeable visibility and lumps and bumps my opinion of my own skiing ability changed!

Felt exactly the same in St. Johann - especially after I had missed the edge of the prepared piste Very Happy

The one thing that made me feel a bit better is that there were lots of others looking like they were struggling too!
snow conditions
@hammerite, Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

We bypassed the Chicken Man (heresy) and slummed it at the Alte Schmeide for Christmas lunch.

Christmas lunch: Bacon and eggs at the Bergeralm
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy