Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
@doddsie, @Matt1959, Thanks - looking forward to hearing more after the weekend.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chatel now reporting that the lifts won't open until 17th Dec........
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Avoriaz have confirmed the following to open on the 9th; Arare, Chavanette, Lindarets, Mossette, Chaux-Fleurie and the link to Chatel.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mjit, Hmmm. Link from Avoriaz to Chatel but nothing open at Chatel!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No need to wait until the weekend. Chavanette skiable but thin. Rock hard two days ago but largely natural snow. Patches in places but I'm sure these will have been filled in by the weekend. I haven't been up Arare for a couple of weeks but it will be similar. Linderets is largely man made snow, certainly on the Chaux Fleurie side which looked very bare the other day.
Still, a better start to the season than the last two years.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The freezing level looks high this week, will that affect the snow making? I don't get out to Avoriaz for another 4 weeks but really hoping for a good start after the last few years.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sunshine81 wrote:
The freezing level looks high this week, will that affect the snow making? I don't get out to Avoriaz for another 4 weeks but really hoping for a good start after the last few years.

It's not going to be below freezing for long, if at all, for a number of days to come. Therefore they won't be able to make snow.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi, is anyone in or around Les Gets? We're due to come out next Friday and at the moment it's not looking great Sad

PS, this is my first post so sorry if I've broken any cardinal rules of the forum!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

cambskier
user

Hi, is anyone in or around Les Gets? We're due to come out next Friday and at the moment it's not looking great Sad

PS, this is my first post so sorry if I've broken any cardinal rules of the forum!

Welcome to the forum, as long as you don't ask for an accurate long term forecast you will be fine.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nothing is skiable in LG right now but the lifts don't open until the 17th. Forecast is due to get colder next week so they should be able run the cannons and open 3/4 runs at least. But there's no sign of a decent snowfall on the horizon. I have guests arriving the 18th and am advising them to check if they can switch lessons / passes over to Avoriaz in the worst case.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
langball wrote:
Nothing is skiable in LG right now but the lifts don't open until the 17th. Forecast is due to get colder next week so they should be able run the cannons and open 3/4 runs at least. But there's no sign of a decent snowfall on the horizon. I have guests arriving the 18th and am advising them to check if they can switch lessons / passes over to Avoriaz in the worst case.

Thanks - we're with Ski Famille so hopefully they will relocate kids' lessons if needs be. Crossing my fingers very hard, we've never gone at this end of the season before and were tempted by a last minute special offer! We've got full area passes as there was a buy one adult, get kid free offer.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For what it's worth, we were planning to drive to Châtel and take the lift over to Avoriaz this weekend. I just emailed Châtel to check and they've confirmed that no lifts are open until the following weekend, so looks like we'll be driving for a bit longer...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cambskier wrote:

This time of year expect to be skiing up in Avoriaz. Sure some years the snow will come early and low and Morzine/Les Gets will be open but some it won't so you have to go higher to find it.

If you've got your own car then drive from Les Gets, through Morzine and to the bottom of the Prodains gondola, then take that up to Avoriaz.
If you're car-less then catch the (from memory) 1.5Euro bus from Les Gets to Morzine, then change for the free bus to Prodains and gondola up to Avoriaz.

cambskier wrote:

You didn't ask if helmets should be mandatory, so no. No cardinal rules broken Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does anyone know if there are any lockers to rent near the top of the Prodains lift?
I can't think of anywhere and am doing the ski test over the weekend, so would like to find somewhere to lock mine up whilst I use their demo skis.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@cambskier, welcome, - am also in the same boat as going to PDS next weekend. Avoriaz is very accessible and don't be put off by 2 buses to the prodains Gondola. @mjit has explained the best way to get there above. Not sure if you know the area (apologies if you do) but you might want to check out the bus timetable on morznet.com to check the times and stops for the LG to Morzine part and then the bus for Avoriaz out of Morzine is marked with the letter A, (unsurprisingly) and it's the same back at the bottom of Prodains. Any questions just ask and I'm sure someone with more local knowledge will be able to help Smile
ski holidays
Taking a look at the Avoriaz webcams was a mistake... Green, so very green.

Maybe it's a "2 bottles of Jager in Duty Free" week...
ski holidays
@Mjit, I don't arrive until 14th Jan and I still feel like its squeaky bum time. Is it going to do like 2014/2015 and drop all the seasons snow on New Years week change over day? I hope not.
ski holidays
well i'm heading out to morzine for a rapid fire weekend on the 6th of Jan, so hopefully theres a bit more coverage by then, even if its just more open up in avoriaz. will definitely take what happened in Jan '15 when it dumped while i was at the hockey game, and all the next day!
snow conditions
Praying for the 21st, well actually the night of the 21st to have Dumpaggedon 2 - The snow god is piste and he's going to get deep, crisp AND even
latest report
Champery has a run open!! Cable car open and the Les Crosets run and chair open. As another option you can take your bike up too!! Tracks are dry and fast as opposed to skiing a hard icy ribbon of snow!
snow conditions
Anybody over there been up to Avoriaz yet? Would be great to get an idea of the conditions, is it as bad as last year?
ski holidays
Sunbathing in Chatel at the moment.
latest report
@levart, why dont you read the thread?
snow conditions
Sorry I must've missed the post, I've been through the thread and saw one post about sunbathing in Chatel and one about Les Crosets, nothing else?
ski holidays
Also saw b]@zzz[/b] post on Monday but just wondering if things had improved with some snowmaking and piste work etc
snow report
@levart, I don't know what it was like earlier in the week.@zzz, is usually pretty accurate and doesn't mince words. We skied for the first time yesterday, just around Lindarets using Lindarets Express, Prolays and Brochaux lifts. Hardish pistes, bit rubbly as the morning went on back down to Lindarets and it got busier.

But the sun was glorious, walked the dog later at Mt Caly where you can drive right to the top, and then sat in the sun and read on the terrace.

We are just here for two weeks at the moment, so our accommodation is 'free' and we would have bought our lift passes anyway.
ski holidays
Sorry to be short. Next to no snow making possible this week but piste work has joined up the pistes, so to speak. Predicted cold weather this week will mean more snow making will be possible. Chavanette looks pisted and ready to go, but not open. Probably saving it for Xmas week.
Not great but better than last year.
Nowhere else is open around here so it will be rammed from Xmas onwards.
snow conditions
Just back from Avoriaz. Top of Fornet on natural snow nice, made lower down but good for a few runs then up the Choucas lift and down the blue Chavanettes which was pisted and open. They have put in diversion towards the bottom, where the red usually joins, so a narrow bit with a left and then right turn which could be pinch points but we happened to come down with no one else. The track round to get to the Fornet and Choucas lifts was particularly horrid earlyish this morning. Very hard packed.
The run down to the Brochaux lift was quiet, there was snow blowing going on there. Pistebasher working hard on the Abricotine piste. Very sunny again. And there was snow blowing on the run down to Ardent which is closed. Switzerland looks pretty green.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Out today and my god, what a good day's skiing! Blue skys, sun and empty mountains.

I'm not going to claim it's the best conditions I've ever seen in Avoriaz but considering I was expecting either sheet ice or slush it was actually skiing really nicely. Yes the snow cover's thin and as the afternoon went on more ice patches were coming through but in the morning it was skiing like a fresh couple of inches of snow that's been posted but not then frozen overnight.

The best runs were up in the Fornet bowl, though around Lac Intrets was also good. Lindarets was open but not skiing as nicely.

Just a shame I found something had ripped a chunk out of one of my bases, bent the edge and cracked the core Sad Not turning out to be the cheap season start trip I was planning.
snow conditions
It certainly was a good day out there this morning. We went straight over to the Fornet bowl, via the Bleue de Lac. Around 11.30 we had a coffee break at the cafe at the top of the Chavanettes, above the Wall. Chavanettes piste much better today. My OH could see the 8 man lift over in Switzerland running and a few skiers but thought they were probably pisteurs.
Few runs again to the Abricotine bowl. Much much quieter today with a few glasses, few groups of instructors, and some youngsters in ski clubs.
latest report
@Pamski, it's always better with with a few glasses!
snow report
@zzz, Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Thanks for the reports everyone, sounds pretty hopeful...compared to the last couple of years at least!
ski holidays
hi all - im going to Les Gets on the 23rd Dec, so waiting for snow with bated breath. If worst comes to it, how easy is the bus transfer to Les Prodains cabin, (to go upto Avoriaz) in case my childrens lessons are moved there? I know it requires a change in Morzine, but wondered how long it will take... thanks in advance.... ed
ski holidays
Mjit,... severe base abuse from start of season 2 seasons ago is exactly why I bought a pair of old bangers off ebay last season to keep my nice ski's in good nick. Have to love ebay I got a pair of 2 year old K2 Aftershocks in fairly good nic (nothing a tune did not sort) for £70 with bindings. Completely worth it, if you can't do that/be bothered to carry two sets out, then I would just hire at this time of the season let the rentals take the abuse.

There is nothing worse than ski-ing around gingerly, wincing every time you here that 'chunk' sound as you catch another rock.

G
ski holidays
yes
snow conditions
is anything likely to open in Chatel on the weekend ? we come over on the 27th and just trying to get an idea if the lifts are going to be open to Avoriaz if the current weather trend continues ? Whats the snow making like ?
snow conditions
mihaid wrote:
yes
?? Identity slip ??
snow report
Skied Saturday and Sunday everywhere that was open in Avoriaz and thought conditions were excellent. Had a great time testing out all the skis, it always amazes me just how different they all are, even though I was only testing the most aggressive piste skis from each manufacturer.
Currently it is better than last Chrismas and there seems to be the odd piles of man made snow dotted around the Morzine/Les Gets sector. So hopefully some runs will be open on that side, which might make Avoriaz less busy.
ski holidays
@edbev - see earlier posts in the thread for a couple of suggestions of getting from LG to Avoriaz (prodains).. it's pretty easy tbh, get a bus from LG to Morzine and then get the 'A' bus to avoriaz. Reckon it's around 10 mins from LG to Morzine and similar from Morzine to Prodains.

Check the bus timetables on morznet.com. The one from LG to Morzine isn't a ski bus so think it's about €1.50 and one of the stops is directly opposite the Mont Chery cable car lift.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy