Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
Nothing much open above ardent this morning, lots of heavy wet snow and high winds. Whole area looks far better now.
Raining at montriond /morzine levels.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snowing now in morzine, strong winds and thunder. Been raining all day, snow up top.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
8" of snow fell @1250m last night.
Pretty windy still though.
Skies still leaden.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We arrive in les gets on Sunday and wondering what our options are. Should be ready to ski by midday on Sunday then we have all day Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday before flying home Wednesday night. Never been to pds before so not sure which pass to get and if snow is poor in les gets/morzine how easy is it to get up to avoriaz. Both competent skiers that like to ski 40km ish per day. Thanks
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We do exactly the same @mikeelsa, but staying in Morzine. When you ski from LG to Morz there is a hike across town (400m?) or you can jump on the little train. From there the Super Morzine whisks you up towards Avoriaz. If you are competent and like to put some miles behind you then definitely upgrade your passes. The PdS has some great skiing and it would be a shame to limit yourselves to LG and Morz

Enjoy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi everyone.

Appreciate this is abit crystal ball, so happy to be told to "do one"!

However, I'm skiing in Morzine in the last week of March and am looking at booking about 12 hours of private lessons. Hoping to dip my toes off piste during the lessons.

Is paying for that now (non refundable) looking a bit foolish?

Thanks

BB
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Badbobby - not quite sure the question tbh... There'll almost certainly be somewhere to have lessons in PDS in 3 weeks time. Might not be Morzine and might have to go to Avoriaz etc, but should be something to slide on. If the question is more focused on whether there'll be any off piste - impossible to tell!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dashed, you translated my question quite well!

I've provisionally got the later lessons in Avoriaz already so sounds like I'll be ok so long as they agree to move the early lessons from Plenny if the snow recedes.

Encouraging few days ahead at least, but I guess the lack of a decent base means a few days of sun will melt it all Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mikeelsa, If you arrive around lunchtime you can hang on until 1pm and get a half day local pass or for 19 euros you can ski on the Mont Chery side of Les Gets only for the day. If the conditions are good there is plenty of skiing in LG/Morzine for a couple of days. I'd base decisions on the weather and snow. If it's snowing then Avoriaz can be bleak!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers for the advice folks.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
is there any good tree skiing in the les gets/morzine area, i was thinking blue run steep and maybe just follow in somone elses tracks, its only for a bit of fun so not looking for something to serious.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
compostcorner wrote:
is there any good tree skiing in the les gets/morzine area, i was thinking blue run steep and maybe just follow in somone elses tracks, its only for a bit of fun so not looking for something to serious.

Yes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
compostcorner wrote:
maybe just follow in somone elses tracks

You do know that this could be a very bad idea?!

But yes, there is some great tree skiing in PDS.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
2 good tree spots in PdS.
1: Morgins Forest :
Take the gap in rocks just to the right of the Bochasses chair, there is a really sweet little bowl, from the gap in the rocks you should aim to enter the forest anywhere to the right of 2 o'clock. As you work your way through the forest drift gently right. You will cross 1 road, but carry on and head back into the forest. When you get to the road that looks a bit like a piste get on it and turn right. Do not cross this one unless:
A: you like climbing back up.
B: are an amazing skier who has borrowed some zero deposit hire skis.
C: are happy to go the wrong way along a cross country track, then take your skis off and walk across what used to be allotments, but is now just flat pasture.
D: Magically find another route out of here which has eluded me since 1988.

The road takes you back into Morgins. The reason to head right in the forest is that the further right you go, the less road you have at the end.

2: Savolaire ( this involves walking about 10 mins ) From the top of La Foilleuse walk left along the ridge until you get to the woods. Then keep going until you come to a clearing. There are a couple of small huts here. This is La Savolaire. On your right after the first big copse there is a little buvette called the Savolaire, which is accessible on the cross country trail if you hike up from Morgins, but like above you can save your self a bit of going along the road by heading gently left as you descend, and this will get you back nearer the lift.

There's some bits and bobs between Tannes and Combe a Floret, and also in St Jean Station, but the best (IMHO) is Morgins forest.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@compostcorner, they have US-style gladed some of the trees skiers right heading towards Fys chair coming off Pleney.
latest report
Quote:

Take the gap in rocks just to the right of the Bochasses chair

I always wondered what was through that gap!
ski holidays
Glad to see there has been some fresh snow. We are heading out tomorrow and in Chatel all next week. Any Snowheads likely to be around?
ski holidays
@DJL, me. There Monday till Thursday.
snow conditions
thanks everyone
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@compostcorner, they have US-style gladed some of the trees skiers right heading towards Fys chair coming off Pleney.

Not sure there's enough snow for any tree skiing on Pleney this year.
ski holidays
Sat : PLJ / Linga and Super Chatel Snow Park (Fer Rouge in La Chapelle if it snows hard, and visibility is poor).
Sun AM : Happy valley, Satellite, Rhododendrons (if it snows Sat night as forecast) then somewhere with trees in PM if it starts snowing hard.
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, Yes, been looking at the forecast for next week and if it does snow as forecast then pistes with trees will be a good choice. Bernex or CdA will get my money. PLJ/PDS if the sun shines.
snow conditions
Bernex is a great shout ( though technically is off topic as not PdS )
snow report
@BergenBergen, How are conditions in Thollon? We had a day out there last year and really enjoyed the change of scenery. Usually do at least one of Thollon, Bernex or St Jean d'Aulps during a week.

Any one know if Praz de Lys/Sommand is worth a visit or is the snow a bit sketchy this year?
snow conditions
@zzz, pessimist.
latest report
@DJL, wondering the same about Praz, we have been back in UK for three weeks so only just back in LG. Mt Chery in the sun this morning which was a happier scene than when we arrived yesterday afternoon and it was dull,grey and drippy.
snow conditions
compostcorner wrote:
maybe just follow in somone elses tracks, its only for a bit of fun so not looking for something to serious.

You could even become famous, by doing that...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1129979/Pictured-The-moment-British-snowboarder-man-avalanche.html

(the cliffs opposite Les Melezes, for those that have been there)
snow report
Pamski wrote:
Mt Chery in the sun this morning which was a happier scene than when we arrived yesterday afternoon

My favourite place in the whole PdS. Never busy, always good snow, some great off piste and lunch at the Grande Ourse. Perfect!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's all turned white overnight down to valley level. Looks to be about 5-10cm on the cars at 1300 m and lots of avalanche blasting to be heard. Just the odd flake falling at the moment. 1C on the balcony.

Off to investigate when we've had some breakfast!
ski holidays
10-15cm at 1500m I'd say, with much heavier falls due the next few days. Easy to find untracked terrain today now that sch hols are over.

Trying to post a pic from my phone, taken this morning under the Tetes lift, on the right of Troncs express.

http://snowmediazone.com/the_zone/data/500/medium/IMG_5144.JPG
ski holidays
A good start with about 12cm of fresh snow at Pre La Joux car park. Quite busy with queues big enough to drive us onto the Combes lift as Cornebois was busy. Much quieter around Super Chatel.

Nice piste conditions (slightly heavy low down) and a bit of sunshine mid morning.

Snow started up around 1400 and wind soon after. Upper lifts closed by 1430 so we called it a day.

Been fair pelting down this afternoon at 1300m in Petit Chatel.
latest report
@DJL, Pelting down with rain or snow? [edit: just looked at the webcam. Rain 😂😂😂]
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@DJL, Pelting down with rain or snow? [edit: just looked at the webcam. Rain 😂😂😂]

That's odd, what webcam did you look at? Geneva airport? Because all the webcams I've just looked at (All Chatel, Torgon Chapelle and Abondance) look very very white? Maybe just the way the light is shining on the ... rain?
snow report
We have definitely had snow and not rain in LG this afternoon and quite a bit of wind. Snow stopped now. Temp is -00.7 now at 7 pm.
ski holidays
Off to les gets next weekend, hows the snow looking
snow conditions
@foxtrotzulu, snow at 1300m. Looked all white down to the valley floor at 1000m. 1C on our balcony so all good so far.
ski holidays
Still snowing at the moment and accumulating slowly in the car park.
snow conditions
ski holidays
ski holidays
B£&@;:y slow internet connection!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy