Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
@DaiSki,

Think of it as March and you will not be disappointed.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@zzz, as long as I'm not skiing on patches of green Skullie
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not if you choose your route sensibly.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@zzz, that's how I'm looking at it. Fantastic conditions to be here with kids and we're making the most of being able to relax with a drink in the sun.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We're driving out tomorrow, and I know a dusting of snow is forecast. Can anyone comment on the state of the blacks all over the PdS at the moment?
Also, I was there two weeks ago, and Panthiaz and the Swiss side were ropey to bare. How are they now?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
not booked up our holiday yet in march but morzine/les gets is high on our list, looking at the snow report it says only 25cm at the bottom in morzine, so it would be a gamble to book up, my mates a gambler and says go for it, and i"m a bit more cautious, of course a good snow storm would change everything, as would high temperatures and rain, and i do know the snow higher up should be ok, we have other options in other resorts, but morzine/les gets has always been the first choice, so i"m sat here on the computer going backwards and forwards and round and round, decisions...decisions.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Chamcham, we skied the blacks on prodains for a few hours today and they're in pretty good shape - soft snow on the ridge and bumps - the crozats snowcross was open and good fun, if heavy.

yesterday barbossine was a lot of fun, and tuesday the back of mont chery was skiing well - all assuming you like moguls of course Happy

warm temperatures are starting to take their toll on the Swiss side (the run down to morgins from chatel side is shut for example)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Been in Morzine since December and pretty gutted at how little snow we've seen over the last three months, pistes are holding up at the minute but really needs another heavy downfall and a cold snap. The low runs close plenney are starting to suffer, a mixture of very slushy artificial snow on top of ice, some brown showing through over the Les Gets side. Can't see the runs from avoriaz to Super M holding up much longer as that whole side of the valley is green and cover on the pistes was thin. That said, holidaymakers would probably quite enjoy skiing the blue skies and sunshine this week, however, as a seasonnaire I'm praying more of the white stuff is around the corner!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Raining down here in the village Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@compostcorner,
Quote:

not booked up our holiday yet in march but morzine/les gets is high on our list, looking at the snow report it says only 25cm at the bottom in morzine, so it would be a gamble to book up, my mates a gambler and says go for it, and i"m a bit more cautious, of course a good snow storm would change everything, as would high temperatures and rain, and i do know the snow higher up should be ok, we have other options in other resorts, but morzine/les gets has always been the first choice, so i"m sat here on the computer going backwards and forwards and round and round, decisions...decisions.

Having written a rather negative post about Morzine I thought I'd delete it and try and be a little fairer.

If you want decent snow down to resort level then Morzine is always a bit of a gamble, even in a good season. At an altitude of less than 1000m it's just way too low. And of course this isn't exactly a good season. Morzine may be a great base from which to explore the PdS and I gather it may be a bit cheaper than elsewhere. But it's cheap for a reason and if you are concerned about the snow then why take the risk. The choice of alternative resorts at a decent altitude is huge.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rain stopped now @1250m - sky clearing.
Here's to tomorrow - the last day before it gets crazy-busy.
Top Tip - anyone thinking of Parking at Ardent on Sunday, get there before 9:30 AM.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@WindOfChange,
Quote:

Here's to tomorrow - the last day before it gets crazy-busy.

Out of curiosity, why will it get 'crazy busy' after Saturday? UK schools have mostly had half term and surely the French are already on holiday?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Schools around us in West Sussex have not been on half term yet.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sheffield/South Yorkshire only break up today too. Guessing there are other parts of the country who have half term this coming week too.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Next week the Dutch will start arriving and with 2/3 of France on holiday and many Brits it will be a busy week. The following week a bit less with only 1/3 of France, no Brits but the Belgians and more Dutch joining the fun. Then from 4 March when yours truly arrives it will be all calm - hope there's some fresh snow before then though
snow conditions
Well it's certainly snowing ok up here in Avoriaz, and has been on and off this afternoon too. It's snowing quite a bit at the minute, but I can't post a picture (or at least work out how to).
latest report
On the half term comment, Geneva was this week, Vaud (so most of the northern flank of Lake Geneva, including Lausanne) is next week
snow report
@travelwomble, Thanks, that's helpful. Just arrived in Chapelle and looking forward to skiing tomorrow Smile
latest report
It was weirdly quiet this week. I could park up at the Chavannes easily at 11am - highly unusual for UK half term.
ski holidays
Just finished up a week in Roc d'enfer with my wife and two debutante daughters. Was skiing fine up top, though a bit bare in a few places by the end of the week. Circuit still entirely skiable.

Really enjoyed it, and for the areas sake praying to the snow gods.

May pop out again late March if they are kind.
latest report
After two days of glorious sunshine in Avoriaz, the weather was very different today. Poor visibility above 1800m, and heavy rain below it.
snow report
Poor because it was snowing?
snow report
At eight degrees in Morzine I'd imagine the snow line was pretty high.
snow report
weirdly no rain where we are in the valley. Snow for friday I think so I shall venture out on saturday.
snow conditions
Roguevfr wrote:
Poor because it was snowing?

Bizarrely when we got high, it was not snowing but were in thick cloud. Couldn't even see the piste markers which always freaks me out on unfamiliar slopes
snow report
Arriving Saturday, lets hope for a bit of fresh snow....
ski holidays
Friends going to Morzine 8th April, when I was checking lift pass prices (as we were thinking of going) it won't let you buy a 6 day pass by the 4th. Does this mean the Morzine area is closing on the 9th?
I know they can still ski avoriaz.
latest report
Hi,

Have the opportunity to stay in Petit Chatel in early to mid April. Does anyone have experience of the general snow conditions at this time of year. I have been in March several years ago and the runs to the lift down the mountain were ropey then, with large areas of green. Do we need to look at getting the bus to other parts of the resort to take advantage of the PdS area.

Thanks in advance
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
akdaka wrote:
Hi,

Have the opportunity to stay in Petit Chatel in early to mid April. Does anyone have experience of the general snow conditions at this time of year. I have been in March several years ago and the runs to the lift down the mountain were ropey then, with large areas of green. Do we need to look at getting the bus to other parts of the resort to take advantage of the PdS area.

Thanks in advance

Don't mean to be blunt but you are asking a question that is impossible to answer really. You can look at the depths over the last few years for an idea but this year could be completely different, could be great/could be rubbish. Getting a full PDS pass will be beneficial if morzine/Les gets side is poor.
ski holidays
Very, very warm today at 1000m. 14C in the shade. Super strong southerly winds as well, stripping a lot of snow almost as you watch. The good news is there will be a return to winter tomorrow afternoon with some (small amounts of) snow down to very low levels. This will be followed by a couple more days of very warm weather and then, hopefully, a decent snowfall on the 1st March, probably preceded by rain.
Condition wise, the base has all but vanished below 1600-1700m on sunny aspects except on the man made pistes. Above that it's ok and the new snow should make a difference. Pleney pistes are holding up, don't know about Les Gets. Super Morzine is looking very sorry for itself.
latest report
Quote:

Don't mean to be blunt but you are asking a question that is impossible to answer really. You can look at the depths over the last few years for an idea but this year could be completely different, could be great/could be rubbish. Getting a full PDS pass will be beneficial if morzine/Les gets side is poor.

Sorry, I was not wanting the impossible, i know that nobody has a crystal ball for these things, I am just after some views on those who have been to the resort at this time of year. I have looked at the historic snowfall data on several websites and the depth seems to be less this year than recent years. I was last there in March 2015 and some of the lower pistes almost disappeared overnight. This is the only opportunity I will have this year so want to be able to make the most of it. I need to let the apartment owner know our preferred date in April, hence the question.

Zzz thanks for the info.
latest report
@akdaka, if you can I would suggest booking your flight to GVA and then leaving the accommodation booking until the last moment. If the apartment you are looking for becomes booked, then you can always find somewhere else, either in Chatel or a higher resort like Val Thorens. It's a buyers' market in Chatel at that time of year.

There'll almost certainly be skiing in Chatel, but from Petit Chatel you might have to get a bus to Linga or Pre la Joux, so you may prefer to find accommodation at Linga or Vonnes for more direct access.

Coming back to @duncansarmy's comment, I think he's concatenated your question with the one prior. There's unlikely to be much difference in "snowsureness" between Chatel's Pre la Joux and Avoriaz, though buying a full PdS pass would give you a bigger area to ski in if Super Chatel closed early.
latest report
Raining in Morzine this morning. 4.5degrees outside according to my car. Plenney lower side looking very sad indeed. No snow (minus a few patches on the super M face). Here's hoping for a quick drop in temp and a mega week long blizzard!! Hopefully snowing up in avoriaz....
snow conditions
0 degrees @1250m, rain with big drops, on the brink of forming flakes.
latest report
Skied Avoriaz for a few hours this morning before the crowds- very nice (except blue velvet but I hate that run). I should venture out tomorrow but off to Evian instead
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, what don't you like about blue velvet? It wasn't open when were in Avoriaz before Christmas and then didn't go up there at all in January as wall to wall visitors and small people visiting.
ski holidays
It's just the last bit at the bottom to join mossettes @Pamski, I always find it thin on the ground/ icy. But it's always quiet so worth it to avoid the hoards and get up the mossettes. My mum was visiting for a few days and told me at 8am to 'bloody get up there' so For once in my life, I did as I was told snowHead
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, thanks, will take care!
ski holidays
can you get from les gets to ardent by bus and how long does it take,
thanks.
ski holidays
@compostcorner,

Yes but it's a schlep. Bus from les gets to morzine and then bus from morzine to ardent. Timetables on line
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy