Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
Heading out to Les Gets on Thursday- question is, is it going to snow or rain?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Meant late Jan - was going to type "nearly Feb" then got distracted by vin rouge!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowflake38 wrote:
Heading out to Les Gets on Thursday- question is, is it going to snow or rain?

On current temperatures it'll be rain
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, it will snow or rain.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also, I have booked ski passes for les gets and Morzine through our Chalet. We arrive lunchtime Thursday and leave after lunch on Sunday. They said it was cheaper to get a 4 day pass at 136 euros. I have since looked at the Les Gets website and wonder if I should have waited as a weekend pass is 52 euros and a day pass is 39 ! Arghh can anyone clarify that we have maybe had a bad deal there!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep that's a bad deal and a chalet company ought to know better @snowflake38, skied Morzine/ Les Gets on Wednesday- Thursday and Friday - pleasant skiing, not much ice, huge piles of snow cannon snow on most pistes in Morzine - I'd like to know when they piste it out! Friends skied Avoriaz today and yesterday and enjoyed it but the runs back to a super Morzine are poor aonwatch your skis.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
Yes, it will snow or rain.

I think you mean it will snow AND rain depending where you are snowHead

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 29-01-17 22:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowflake38 wrote:
Also, I have booked ski passes for les gets and Morzine through our Chalet. We arrive lunchtime Thursday and leave after lunch on Sunday. They said it was cheaper to get a 4 day pass at 136 euros. I have since looked at the Les Gets website and wonder if I should have waited as a weekend pass is 52 euros and a day pass is 39 ! Arghh can anyone clarify that we have maybe had a bad deal there!

If it's any help we have 2 x spare Friday area passes you could buy for a very reasonable fee as we had a few drop outs. One of the passes also valid Thursday
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ah thank you so much for the offer. I have stupidly paid for the passes already. Not sure whether to kickup a fuss even if it is to just point out that we have been short changed! I thought we would get a better deal. How wrong I was!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@snowflake38, if you ski thursday afternoon it would be 126 (35+39+52)....so a little bit cheeky alright, but you don't have to q up each time
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@snowflake38,

Don't forget that your chalet company will have made commission on your passes. I would have it out with them personally.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And you can just top it up online so no queuing every day
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skied a loop yesterday, Champoussin - Morgins - Chatel - Linga - Plaine Dranse - Lindarets - Crosets. Generally good snow in resorts, but certain links were a bit patchy.
Cold again today with more cloud cover. Forecasts disagree on whether it snow or rain later, so staying local. Used the 'new' lifts between Chatel and Linga for the first time, most impressed.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowing down to about 1400-1500m earlier, but freezing level forecast to rise tonight. I reckon there'd been a couple of cm's by 3 o'clock and been raining down here in the valley most of the rest of the afternoon so prob 5-10cm at about 2,000m.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just back from 3 days skiing in the PDS. Spent most of our time either in Avoriaz, Linarets, Plaine Dranse and above Chatel. Snow is good up high and then as you drop lower you start to see a few more stones. Lots of the off-piste that I would normally ski is not filled in enough for me. I found it to be quite busy but perhaps that's because everyone is trying to head high.

The other thing that struck me was the high number of people skiing too fast, out of control and beyond their ability. We were on the run back into Lindaret and this idiot came flying down the track, aimed for and hit two little moguls where the snow had been chopped up. The problem was the area where he was going to land was on a switchback and there was about 20 people there. As it turned out he didn't have the ability to land so wiped out, narrowly missed my mate and went under the rope and down the side of the mountain. Don't know if he hurt himself or not but if he did then it couldn't have happened to a nicer person. That might come across as really harsh but at the speed he was going at if he had hit my pal there would have been broken bones for sure and there was just no need to be going at that speed on that run with that amount of people about.

Anyways rant over, perhaps I'm just depressed cause I'm back home Very Happy
latest report
Raining in morzine from about 6pm. Snowline this morning around 1300m increasing to 1700 afternoon. Hopefully fresh up top(s).
ski holidays
Raining hard all night here in Champéry- was also raining in Les Crosets last night. Fingers crossed snow has fallen above as it's very bleak
snow report
Very wet at 1100m and can see up to about 1500m I guess (low murky cloud) and looks equally wet and unpleasant up there. Forecast is for snow only above about 1900-2000m Sad
snow conditions
Pissing down at the pre la joux car park at 9 this morning with a worsening forecast for the day and a fl above 2000m, so didn't bother getting out the car just to get wet. Decathlon this afternoon to spend the money we saved on the pass. Sad
snow report
@BergenBergen, Yep we were going to drive over to Ardent and get the lifts up to Avoriaz but it looks like the snow line has shifted so decided to sack that off too. Shame, the piste management has been fantastic given how little snow there's been but skiing in the rain is just no fun.
ski holidays
I'll take the short term pain of a couple of days of rain if the weather pattern which has been almost rock solid since mid November has finally been broken and Atlantic fronts are making it to the Alps. Looks like there will be plenty of snow above 1300m over the next week or so after this warm front passes
snow report
@Nelbert75, Yep, I'm with you there. Although its of no immediate use to me as I'm heading home today. Hopefully an improvement for the Northern Alps all round though, as I'm back out in a few weeks time.
ski holidays
Terrible skiing conditions today. Raining at all levels. Soaked through by lunch time so through towel in early. Felt sorry for my son who is so keen to ski, only two days left. Hoping for better tomorrow.
latest report
Arrrgh! I'm out to Morzine tomorrow, hoping to get in 3.5 days skiing while mother-in-law has the young kids for a few days in the UK. I'm going to be inconsolable if it rains over the precious few ski days I have this year!! Some prayers to the snow gods tonight I think
snow report
First post so Hello

Not good reading. Last minute 'ish booking for us to Morzine to join friends for 5 days on the 18th Feb. Hopefully there is some improvement over the next few weeks.

No snow in Scotland and the Alps is not at it's best. Sad
ski holidays
I am in the UK, but....from online reports it appears to have snowed last night, with more to come tonight!

Fingers crossed.
ski holidays
It's snowed above 2000m only yesterday. But looking like lots to come around or just above village level in the next wee while.
ski holidays
Very sunny in Les Gets this morning. Hard pistes, softened up late morning.
Too many people (men) skiing in large groups, and much too fast for their capabilities. Still I suppose it is their week and they want to pack in as much as possible Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My prediction is for heavy rain on Friday and heavy snow on Saturday and Sunday. You heard it here first. Very Happy
ski holidays
Fresh snow top of plj and Avoriaz made for a good day considering yesterday's weather. Swiss side not so good and best avoided. Whoever recommended the burgers in changabang, thankyou very much, top marks
ski holidays
Snuck in a quick sludge slide late afternoon, surprisingly enjoyable, but lots of open brown scars that need to be reburied.
Mont Chery doesn't look skiable, at least down the front. This a shot towards Ranfolly / Mont Blanc on the right.

@zzz, any view on snowline....last storm I remember GFS/WRF understated the snowline by at least 200m, right up to the day itself (thurs 12th).
At the moment they are going for 1000-1400 up and down fri - mon, but it's going to jump around.
snow report
I'm thinking 1600 ish on Friday followed by 1200 ish Saturday as the cold front comes through and much lower after that.

Only based on being here for a few years and some meteorology knowledge.
latest report
Fair enough, there have been a few storms recently that come in higher than modelled and then start catching down about 6hours later than expected.
Both ECM and GFS have recently swung more towards Friday and Sunday evening for the heaviest downpours.
latest report
Latest ECM / GFS estimates still for 40-50cm on the weekend. Likely to see rain in resorts at times as the snowline spikes friday morning / friday evening and also sat night / early sun morning (up to 1600m), before dropping rapidly again into next week. WRF (10km range) below.

snow report
Guided Day yesterday and went to Cham rather than PDS. Stayed high, skied fresh snow above about 2400m in stunning scenery off the Grands Montets.

Piste cruising in PDS today, and varied between slushy spring snow in the sun and bulletproof ice in shade!
latest report
Beginning to look like biblical rain for the weekend at resort level but lots of snow higher up with a snow line varying between 1200 and 1800 depending on the day. Might be a little damp getting up there though.
Hopefully staying cool from next week.
latest report
Heavy rain last night, now stopped, but there is a snow line of about 1500m.
ski holidays
Not a bad start....snowline looks a little lower on models (and webcams). Some shorter term models still toying with freeze levels tonight nearer 1800 (Arome), but others such as WRF have it much lower (1200). If that wasn't bad enough, GFS have now dropped the idea of 30cm on sunday evening, downgrading to about 5-10cm, as the low pressure tracks slightly further SE, meaning it's cooler, but also nudging the big band of ppn just south of PdS on sunday evening. We'll see, GFS isn't that good in the 3 day range. it's all still "up in the air"
ski holidays
Snow on the trees up in pleney but very wet down here in the village. Must have chucked it down in the night.
snow conditions
Adding to the huge variations in FL's, the expected snowfall on sunday evening could now be 2cm (GFS) or 34cm (ECM).
Here's how GFS sees the storm somehow missing the PdS.

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy