Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
Be there tonight... just.cannot.wait!!
Last year we had 4 days of closed weather, wet snow and significant amounts of rain... The prospect of blue skies and decent snow, even if not perfect, is neraly too much to handle! not quite though.. Toofy Grin Cool
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chilly this morning. Minus 17.3 at 8.30.
Warmed up now and minus 10.9 at noon.
Sunny and we are going to Mt Chery after waving off visitors.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some images from last weekend. My mate Jez gets impressive air for a big unit. Nice cold powder / forest runs.

latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quickish trip round the core of the PDS today. Started 0845 at Super Morzine bubble and finished with late lunch in L'Passage above same bubble around 1415. Lindarets-Dranse-Linga-Chatel-Morgins-Champoussins-Crosets-Avoriaz-Super Morzine. Even managed to ski down to and through Morzine. First time using new chairs up to Super Chapel, great improvement. Beautiful weather too.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Went up Mont Chery today, there are bare patches but in general it was pretty good. Very quiet over there too which was great. All of Pds is starting to feel like a bit more snow would make a big difference, what's there is fairly hard packed in places.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We turn up
On Saturday so am praying you guys get a little more snow before we get there. Not looking like much is forecast now though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Also on Mont Chery this morning. Snow cover is thin although good apart from a few brown patches. Lots of stones on Marmottes. All the pistes in the Ranfoilly bowl are good. Blowing snow on piste H and Stade this afternoon. Looks like Morzine is trying to make the most of the very low temps as they have had a couple of bashers working in the afternoons on at least two days this week. Very very quiet.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Will be there from Saturday morning. Not going to bother packing the powder skis - a pair of race carvers are all I'm going to need for the week, I think!

How are on-piste conditions generally in the Chatel area?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bluedusty wrote:
We turn up
On Saturday so am praying you guys get a little more snow before we get there. Not looking like much is forecast now though.

There's already plenty. Just be thankful you weren't here a couple of weeks ago!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arrived in Morzine Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi, just wondering if someone can help me. my husband and I had a day out from the grand massif, and spent a very enjoyable day in Les gets, we had booked la paika for lunch but ended up not going as we were unsure if you could get back to the perrieres lift without getting la turche drag (I hate drags), it wasn't clear from the piste map. Thanks
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Harry Flashman wrote:
How are on-piste conditions generally in the Chatel area?

I did a loop of all the Swiss resorts today, there are patches of grass and brown snow, more than I've seen before but in general it's very good and the Swiss side is better than France. Chatel is less affected than elsewhere. More snow is needed for it to be "perfect" but it's not far off as it is.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@skimum, yes you can, and even if you really messed up and missed the left turn it would only be a 200m walk from the bottom.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Glorious weather: could do with more snow, but pistes quiet and no queues:

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good conditions all round inn PDD. Some icy/iffy areas in les gets or morzine but great fun nonetheless. Great apres apres at Valffieu bar today. I think we came down last down the Pleney. Great live band at the Tremplin. Now innthe Cavern bar. Tomorrow morning is gonna be hard! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Thanks @zzz,
Sorry to ask this here as it's not strictly snow or weather related but I'm sure there'll be someone who can answer this query.......
My husband and I know the grand massif well and are currently here for 3 weeks, this is our first weekend and oh my god the amount of people on the slopes is horrendous, much like half term (but almost worse) and verging on the dangerous! We spent a very enjoyable day in Les gets on Thursday and were wondering if les gets/morzine suffers from the same influx of day trippers from the valley and Geneva (I've been reliably informed that this is who they are), attracted by cut price day passes!
Thanks
ski holidays
I find it's normally quieter at the weekend, especially Saturday when the holiday makers are in transit. You get some locals, but most tend to go up to Avoriaz.
ski holidays
@skimum, I skied Les Gets today and although busier than midweek it was still pretty nice and quiet.
latest report
@skimum, we skied Morzine this morning as not done so so far this winter other than a bit round Nyon. No queues around Array or Fys but rather Scottish skiing with a lot of grassy bits. My OH was asked to help load a rather large chappie onto a stretcher before being transported down under the Fys lift. We had spotted him down going up on the lift. Big face or head plant and a bit bloody. There were three pisteurs with him taking lots of care.
This afternoon it looks extremely busy around Perrieres lift with the car park full and cars everywhere. Sunny day, snow last weekend, resulting in busy pistes.
I recall a couple of years ago going over to Samoens, lovely time skiing around there, before we met up with a friend as arranged and we then skied over to Flaine. Again a busy, sunny Saturday and I found the whole experience terrifying, like the M25 in rush hour, and we haven't been back in similar circumstances.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 21-01-17 16:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Car parks busier than yesterday, but pistes not busy. A few queues here and there. Glorious blue skies and sunshine again. Could do with a top up of snow though.
ski holidays
Pamski wrote:
@skimum, we skied Morzine this morning as not done so so far this winter other than a bit round Nyon. No queues around Atray or Fys but rather Scottish skiing with a lot of grassy bits. My OH was asked to help load a rather large chappie onto a stretcher before being transported down under the Fys lift. We had spotted him down going up on the lift. Big face or head plant and a bit bloody. There were three pisteurs with him taking lots of care.
This afternoon it looks extremely busy around Perrieres lift with the car park full and cars everywhere. Sunny day, snow last weekend, resulting in busy pistes.
I recall a couple of years ago going over to Samoens, lovely time skiing around there, before we met up with a friend as arranged and we then skied over to Flaine. Again a busy, sunny Saturday and I found the whole experience terrifying, like the M25 in rush hour, and we haven't been back in similar circumstances.
ski holidays
Thanks all for your replies, we may well try les gets next Saturday.
@Pamski, your description of the links around the grand massif is spot on, we've been coming here for 12 years and they've always been a problem at peak/holiday times but as the popularity of the area has grown the problems in the bottleneck areas are also growing.
I don't think we'll be back to the area next year, with the opening of the Club Med village at Samoens 1600 we'll wait to see how things develop/until all the planned infrastructure of new pistes and lifts are in place.
Loved les gets/morzine area when I went for the first time on Thursday of this week, just a bit difficult when you don't know an area and have to keep looking at piste maps!
snow conditions
@skimum, not sure why I seem to have quoted myself above. We have skied in Flaine itself as we have friends there, but as you say it's the links... We always hope it will be quieter on Saturdays but that doesn't seem to materialise. Sorry you didn't get to the Paika the other day. The drag lift is really not bad, although you sometimes get a bit of a lift at the start! All the lifts have their idiosyncrasies which one gets to know.
snow report
Just home from PdS - as others have said glorious weather but some pistes are really starting to show brown bits and rocks coming through, and some very icy stretches over on the Pleney side. Did a bit of off piste and conditions are "variable" to say the least. No snow on the horizon but it really does need it.
ski holidays
Back from Avoriaz today. We had PDS passes and covered a lot of ground during the week. As others have said some lower areas are starting to show wear and get a little thin. More snow is needed but fun can be had if you keep high.
snow conditions
so what is the quickest way on skis to get from les gets to avoriaz and back to les gets
latest report
@compostcorner, Chavannes Express, go across the golf course, up Follietts lift, down B into Morzine and walk or take little train across town to Super Morzine, take Zore and Proclou lifts and you are there. And reverse it.
snow report
Can anybody recommend a good ski rental shop in Morzine that rents Stocklie skis? I'm after a pair of either Laser SL's or Laser SX's.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks
snow report
Sitting half way down the ranfoilly red having a wine. Skied morzine Les gets the past two days and conditions have been fine. Yes more snow is needed but pistes are more than skiable and good fun. Venturing to avoriaz tomorrow and the rest of the week but I'm pleasantly surprised at the overall conditions
ski holidays
Just got back after 4 days in Morzine. After the last couple of weeks of doom and gloom due to the latest snow dump it was a pleasure as it was -7 to -9 in the village most days and it looked like a ski resort.

We did Les Gets/Morzine for 2 days and then on the other 2 days we made our way to crosets and Champoussin. Not much to be had on the off piste side of things but all the pistes are in great shape. A couple of the shady ones had some ice hidden under the top layer and could be a bit scratchy and a few reds had some awful Icy moguls especially the red and blue going from Avoriaz to Linderats. The boarders were having a few breaks to rest the cramp in the feet and the less experienced skiers were having quite a few little slides, luckily not going too fast.

Other than that the skiing was excellent and we loved every second of it, nothing was closed and the weather and visibility were great.

It is starting to feel like it needs some fresh now as it is a bit man made and patched up with the bashers but if I was going out this weekend I would be very excited indeed.
snow report
@Tayto, @mheadbee, That's good to hear, I'll be going Les Gets on Friday.
snow conditions
Very excited Les Gets on Sunday Smile
ski holidays
Just got back from Avoriaz, having been there since 14th Jan. We had a fantastic time and the conditions have been superb, if getting a little icy and brown in places towards the end of our stay. Our 1 year old loved the snow!

Weirdly though the slopes were incredibly quiet for the first part of our stay, and then turned super busy since last Friday. Anyone know why? French holiday? The lift queues were pretty substantial for the likes or Arare and Mossettes! rolling eyes
latest report
Tordi wrote:
Just got back from Avoriaz, having been there since 14th Jan. We had a fantastic time and the conditions have been superb, if getting a little icy and brown in places towards the end of our stay. Our 1 year old loved the snow!

Weirdly though the slopes were incredibly quiet for the first part of our stay, and then turned super busy since last Friday. Anyone know why? French holiday? The lift queues were pretty substantial for the likes or Arare and Mossettes! rolling eyes

I don't know about holidays but don't underestimate the weekend effect and the local knowledge that the snow was as good as it's been in two months.
ski holidays
Back from Les Gets last night after 5 days- weekend quite busy but then its the first weekend of the season with snow and fine weather and so a little more busy. V quite in the week. Runs in great condition down from le Ranfolly and La Rosta- however they are now getting thin and Wednesday morning more brown was starting to come through. Def in need of more snow
ski holidays
Well where has that week gone! I have to say that seeing as though we have had no snow the slopes are in great shape. They are a little bare in patches but all in all a fantastic week and we can't wait to come back. Is there anywhere we can leave the kids sledges so someone does not have to pay 20euro each for them?
snow conditions
Heading out tomorrow to Thursday. Looks like it's going to be sunny. If you see a tall slim guy with snowhead stickers and ortovox backpack say hi snowHead

I have 1 x spare sun 29th Jan - 3rd feb 6 day lift pass. Also a spare Fri 3rd feb lift pass. On the off chance anyone needs one and wants to help us out. I'm not sure if we can get any refunds Puzzled

snowHead
snow report
First day on the hill and yes, more snow is needed, but the pistes are holding up well considering and we had a grand day! It looks like late December out here rather than late Feb though!
snow report
Might that be because it's not late Feb yet ?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy