Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
Arrived in Avoriaz this afternoon. Too late to get the skis on but it's been snowing lightly for the last couple of hours. Every little bit helps Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Potential for snowmaggedon when I'm trying to drive to Avoriaz on the 14th!! Shocked I'm all for the snow, but the potential for being stuck in a car with a 1 year old is a little concerning. What's the clearance of the road up to resort like during mega dumpage? Presumably the bashers plough it pretty frequent?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Tordi, could easily be a snow chain job (or stuck behind others crashing).

You do have winter tyres? Alternative is to park at Prodains and get the gondola up.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tordi wrote:
Potential for snowmaggedon when I'm trying to drive to Avoriaz on the 14th!! Shocked I'm all for the snow, but the potential for being stuck in a car with a 1 year old is a little concerning. What's the clearance of the road up to resort like during mega dumpage? Presumably the bashers plough it pretty frequent?

Do not bother without chains or winter tyres, some roads it's actually signed that they are a requirement (possibly a legality but not sure). Seen a few British cars this week stuck because they think their X5 or equivalent will be fine.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's still snowing this morning in Avoriaz. No idea how much but my balcony is fairly sheltered and there is probably 3cms on it. Will report back later with an update
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@DJL, @duncansarmy, we've got mud and snow tyres, which are technically an all season tyre I think, and we have chains as well. I guess if it's chaos we can always leave the car at the Prodain and get the gondola like you say. Puzzled Is there much parking there?

Sorry for hijacking the thread.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sunshine81 wrote:
It's still snowing this morning in Avoriaz. No idea how much but my balcony is fairly sheltered and there is probably 3cms on it. Will report back later with an update

Looking forward to your on the mountain reports this week. Thanks Sunshine81
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Tordi, last year they stopped everyone at morzine and made you put chains on, before you could go up the hill, when we drove up there in the snow. The road was well marshalled and seemed to be kept well cleared, but they weren't Allowing people to do it with snow tyres only.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tordi wrote:
@DJL, @duncansarmy, we've got mud and snow tyres, which are technically an all season tyre I think, and we have chains as well. I guess if it's chaos we can always leave the car at the Prodain and get the gondola like you say. Puzzled Is there much parking there?

You should be fine then, most locals manage without ever putting chains on as the roads get cleared fairly quickly, guess they're used to it though. The worst time is obviously first thing in the morning if we've had a massive dump and the dozer hasn't yet been out. A good shout is to practise putting them on if you haven't before. Loads of parking at prodain but not that cheap if you're planning on leaving it there for a while. Ardent where it's free to park but can get very busy though if you're not there early. Probably not much use to you though if you're with all your bags however!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good advice re the snow chains. Anyone potentially having to use them should watch a video like this -

http://youtube.com/v/H0fIfx8yPkI

Usually it's pitch black, freezing and snowing when you attempt to do it. They are not all the same but the bit about looping round the back of the wheel is standard and slightly counter intuitive.
Once you've done it a couple of times it's relatively straight forward.
One tip. Don't be wearing your £600 Spyder jacket when you fit them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The snow over the last two nights has massively changed the skiing conditions compared to a week or two ago. Piste conditions were superb, particularly over at Les Crosets where it was fairly quiet as was the Plaine Dranse area in Chatel. Off piste still needs another 20-30cm minimum, but we still managed to have a bit of fun at the piste side.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Where's the like button?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fifespud wrote:
Good advice re the snow chains. Anyone potentially having to use them should watch a video like this -

http://youtube.com/v/H0fIfx8yPkI

Usually it's pitch black, freezing and snowing when you attempt to do it. They are not all the same but the bit about looping round the back of the wheel is standard and slightly counter intuitive.
Once you've done it a couple of times it's relatively straight forward.
One tip. Don't be wearing your £600 Spyder jacket when you fit them.

To add to this, get yourself some ice ninja gloves, makes it so much more bearable!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all, very reassuring. And I've ordered myself some ice ninja gloves. Probably better than my gardening gloves Laughing Roll on the 14th!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Today was good. We got up to Fornet first just as the clouds were clearing and had bashed pistes with about 15cms on top so took full advantage of that. Then headed over to Linderats for a blast. Hit Plaine Drase for lunch and to say hello at our favourite restaurant and then back over to Avoriaz for late afternoon.

The snow was good but you can clearly see the poor start to the season. Saw lots of people off piste but it's not filled in enough for me. The odd piste has a few stones but it's hardly surprising considering the limited base.

It was a big day for us as the first time Mrs Sunshine81 has skied since her full ACL OP (18 months ago). Delighted to say it was ace and the knee is stronger than it has been in 5 years. Can't wait for tomorrow
ski holidays
Tordi wrote:

I'm afraid M+ S tyres are not the same as winter tyres, unless they have either the snowflake or three peaks alpine symbol. They're better than summer tyres, but they're not winter tyres.
ski holidays
Since booking our trip we've done about 5000 miles on the winter tyres so have just ordered some new ones via Mytyres. Done about 20K miles on them, left them on all summer, and there's still plenty left in two of them once I swap them round.
snow report
Snow-forecast.com and Bergfex are both showing a good dump of snow coming in the next few days, great timing for those of us going next week Very Happy
snow conditions
It is very cloudy here in Les Gets this afternoon and looks like something is going to happen. Good morning over on the Chatel side, and the run back down to Ardent was excellent when we did it.
snow conditions
Piste conditions are great since the recent falls. But next week will be the best of the season so far.....looks like at least 50cm this week then dry and sunny for a while.

ski holidays
langball wrote:
Piste conditions are great since the recent falls. But next week will be the best of the season so far.....looks like at least 50cm this week then dry and sunny for a while.

We arrive on 21st and - as fervent fine-weather-skiers - that sounds spiffing Very Happy
snow conditions
Montana wrote:

We arrive on 21st and - as fervent fine-weather-skiers - that sounds spiffing Very Happy

That also sounds spiffing as we arrive on Jan 19th Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Bit upset as Les Gets free wifi specifically excludes access to Snowheads.com
Good fun watching the start of the Grande Odysee dog sled race tonight and drinking the free vin chaud.
Not too many pistes open today but those that were not in too bad condition, looking forward to the snow arriving.
snow report
Yesterday was fantastic skiing corduroy in Fornet first thing. The sun was out but it was still cold so the snow was in great shape.

Just woke to find a sprinkling of snow on the balcony. Fingers crossed it arrives today
latest report
Snowing @ 1250m.
Minus 6 C.
4 cm so far.
latest report
No fresh snow yet in Morzine town.
snow report
Just started snowing at resort level here in morzine, clouds look good. Fingers crossed it persists.
snow report
Light but steady snowfall all day so far in Les Gets:

http://youtube.com/v/ZFJPNbQE8mE&feature=youtu.be
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I know this isnt the place to ask this, but everybody here knows portes du soleil better than me, so, I'll be getting there this friday, can I buy the ski pass just when I get there or it should only be booked online? And what about a ski rental, can I do that at morzine easly? Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Danielald wrote:
I know this isnt the place to ask this, but everybody here knows portes du soleil better than me, so, I'll be getting there this friday, can I buy the ski pass just when I get there or it should only be booked online? And what about a ski rental, can I do that at morzine easly? Very Happy Very Happy

Numerous rental shops all over town. You can buy lift passes at every lift station and tourist info too. Very easy process
latest report
Thank you Nelbert75 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy hope the snow still comming
snow report
Danielald wrote:
Thank you Nelbert75 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy hope the snow still comming

It's been getting heavier and as the day progresses. Lots more to come right up to the weekend. You've timed your trip well
snow report
We are sat having lunch in Plaine Dranse and its a snowy scene looking out the window. Might have desert and delay going out Very Happy
ski holidays
Danielald wrote:

Loads of rental companies around. I can throughly recommend All Mountain Rental (AMR), you can book online and they will come out to you as soon as you get to your apartment. All great lads and hire gear is mostly brand new start of season. You've picked a good week, i was recommending bike rental companies a couple of weeks ago Shocked

Also, still snowing here at base level and coming down heavier snowHead
snow report
@Danielald, It's worth getting your skis online before hand as you'll get a fairly good discount. There's not much difference when it comes to the passes though but you'll save time on the day if you don't need to queue up.

Online forecasts are showing non-stop snow between now and Sunday Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
From memory, we picked up pre-paid lift passes from the desk at the back of the tourist office in Les Gets. Saved queues at the lift offices at peak times, but if you've got an exisiting pass you can top it up on line using the long serial number on the card. Works a treat and no more queuing!
snow report
Quite a lot of snow in Morzine, maybe 15-20cm on the mountains, 8cm in town.
snow conditions
The snow gods have answered for us coming out this weekend!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Is it possible to park at Les Gets and get to Morzine at the moment? Thanks
ski holidays
@moseyp, park Les Gets, Chavannes Express, Belle Mouille piste to Grand Pre, Troncs lift, down to Lievre, through tunnel, Fys lift, right to Pleney, down to Morzine.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 11-01-17 6:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy