Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
@ccorb,

Hello,

Perhaps you should read through the thread. It will give you a pretty good idea.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ccorb wrote:
I’m glad I stumbled across this thread, I’m due in Avoriaz on the 7th - is there any skiing to be had at all in Morzine / Avoriaz?

Cheers.

Read back for the last 3 pages, it's all in here.

Oh and welcome to Snowheads, where have you been Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is definitely skiing. It should be less busy now which will make a difference.

Take/Hire piste specific ski's and make sure your edges are sharp.

G
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skied around Pre la Joux on Monday / Tuesday. TBH conditions were better than I expected, but the pistes were busy, icy in places and whilst it was enjoyable I've skied many more enjoyable days.

The lack of open pistes means that all abilities are on the same busy slopes. I'm by no means a good skier, but I was having to pick my way through learners inching down the steeper bits, and at the same time those better (or just faster) than me were doing the same to me.

On Tuesday they appear to have opened the Linga lift, though not the piste at the bottom. We didn't venture over there from PLJ as the wind was blowing the snow up the slope and straight into our faces.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Forecast strongly suggests much better on piste skiing from tomorrow and much more snow from the 10th/11th. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Forecast strongly suggests much better on piste skiing from tomorrow and much more snow from the 10th/11th. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowing here in Morzine
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
duncansarmy wrote:
Snowing here in Morzine

Anything significant?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jcosh wrote:
duncansarmy wrote:
Snowing here in Morzine

Anything significant?

Not at the minute, probably about a cm overall. It is still coming down though, albeit gently.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Coming down again this morning..
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just been up to Prodain bubble, must be about an inch and a half overnight. Still persistent and everywhere is looking more how it should, hopefully it will carry on enough to make a difference. Will try to keep this updated, especially if i get out on the mountain.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@duncansarmy, this is good news. Out on the 15th!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Haven't been up the hill yet but webcams look a lot better, must be 7-10cm at 1600, which is bang in line with recent estimates from the short term models (WRF 2k, Arpege 0.1 ). It has snowed down to well below resort levels, and with cold temps and much more snow forecast next week am thinking 4th Jan was the unofficial start date, in terms of base building and a white resort. Various estimates of 20-30cm next week still look on.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any idea if the recent snowfall will open up more pistes in morzine/les gets? as coming on sunday.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mart291 wrote:
Any idea if the recent snowfall will open up more pistes in morzine/les gets? as coming on sunday.

Looks like more opening in Les Gets already

https://twitter.com/lesgetsnews/status/816940208398749696
latest report
mart291 wrote:

Hard to say atm, will have a better idea tomorrow once the bashers have been to work. Get the interactive PDS map, gives you live updates on whats open and even what runs the bashers are working on. Coming down heavier now in Morzine town, lets hope it continues...
snow report
duncansarmy wrote:
mart291 wrote:

Hard to say atm, will have a better idea tomorrow once the bashers have been to work. Get the interactive PDS map, gives you live updates on whats open and even what runs the bashers are working on. Coming down heavier now in Morzine town, lets hope it continues...

thanks for the update
ski holidays
Been out at Pre Le Joux, Lindarets and Avoriaz sectors today and although pretty busy I thought the pisteurs had done a great job with what little they had been given naturally and the man made stuff. A good sign of this is that whilst the red piste going down from the Chatel ridge into Lindarets bowl has a Peak District look about it the blue run was as good as I've ever seen it - it's always scraped. Apologies for lack of piste names I can never keep them in my head. It's been snowing on and off all day and is currently snowing very lightly in Chatel.
ski holidays
Infinitely better today and still snowing lightly this evening. They are opening more of Morzine and Les Gets tomorrow and I believe Nyon was open today. Thought more snow arrived than was forecast, heavy snow in lindarets later in afternoon when I was chucking it. Pistes already in a far better condition. I get the feeling by this time next week many of the early season snow worries will have been forgotten
latest report
While a lovely thought, "I get the feeling by this time next week many of the early season snow worries will have been forgotten" for most local businesses that won't be the case...

Although that is absolutely not suggesting that this and hopefully forthcoming is not welcome!
ski holidays
@Nelbert75, yes, we went over from Les Gets to the Charniaz bowl and up Troncs. It was open but having skied down to the Cornette for a welcome chocolate chaud we didn't go on down the Lievre, I think return would have been by the Nyon cable car,but nipped back to Les Gets. The lovely family in the Cornette were on their second day open, and I think we were the first customers. We all had a laugh when they remembered we were their first customers when they opened nine years ago. We all need the snow and they need our business.

We can usually ski down to the Chavannes chairlift and gondola from behind the school in Les Gets but it's all been green and sandy, not even muddy, till today. But I was surprised that my neighbour disappeared along there this morning with his skis, and he told me later this afternoon that of course he had skied over the field. He was then surprised when I told him what it had been like till this morning. He only arrived late last night.
ski holidays
@Nelbert75, yes, we went over from Les Gets to the Charniaz bowl and up Troncs. It was open but having skied down to the Cornette for a welcome chocolate chaud we didn't go on down the Lievre, I think return would have been by the Nyon cable car,but nipped back to Les Gets. The lovely family in the Cornette were on their second day open, and I think we were the first customers. We all had a laugh when they remembered we were their first customers when they opened nine years ago. We all need the snow and they need our business.

We can usually ski down to the Chavannes chairlift and gondola from behind the school in Les Gets but it's all been green and sandy, not even muddy, till today. But I was surprised that my neighbour disappeared along there this morning with his skis, and he told me later this afternoon that of course he had skied over the field. He was then surprised when I told him what it had been like till this morning. He only arrived late last night.
ski holidays
Delighted to see Avoriaz looking white on the webcam this afternoon Very Happy

@under a new name, I hear you. We arrive on Sat and will be endeavor to pump some euro back into the local economy.
snow report
Thanks for the update Smile
snow conditions
Arriving in Les Gets on the 29th so watching this thread with something approaching desperation!

Nice to see some positive news Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Why desperate?

It has had some snow and looks like more on the way in the next 2 weeks. I am going to morzine on the 18th and can't wait, loads of skiing out there to be had and will get better.
latest report
Was getting worried last week that most would be shut. Hence the relief at positive news
snow report
Is it possible to estimate how much more snow is needed before it will be possible to ski from the Super Morzine over to Avoriaz?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@SkiTsar, not easy to estimate. There is no base at all on super Morzine so they are starting from scratch. It's all grass though so maybe 30cm. There is limited snow making on the sunnier slopes but as of two days ago they hadn't really used it.
snow conditions
OK thanks @zzz, looks like barring a late miracle it'll have to be the bus then Sad
latest report
We're heading out to Morzine on Sunday - we've pre-purchased 7 day full area passes - if we didn't validate them would we be able to use them later in the season if things improve? (wondered if anyone might know)
snow report
From Morzine, @oliverd, arguably you'll want PdS passes to ski Avoriaz to Linga...
ski holidays
@under a new name, yep definitely.

@SkiTsar, yep, the bus it will be. Last week the run down to Prodain had no snow so there were long queues to download on the Prodain lift. I would be surprised if they haven't made enough snow now to ski to the bottom. Or you could go to Ardent but the buses are less frequent
snow report
If I can use the pass later in the season I'm proabably not even bringing my board.
snow conditions
Pretty cold overnight in Les Gets, minus 13 at 7.30 am . Sun out today so lovely. I think LG getting ready to open the Rosta bowl at the weekend, and it looked as if the Granges piste linking into Charniaz was open this morning when we skied past the bottom of it.
snow conditions
Also -13 near Chatel @ 1250m around 06h30.
The ferries across lake Geneva were cancelled from Yvoire this AM as the wind was blowing water onto the landing jetty, and it was freezing on contact. The Capitan said it was too dangerous for passengers to embark / disembark.
Hoping to sneak an hour @ PLJ this afternoon as I am "working from home".
latest report
WindOfChange wrote:
Hoping to sneak an hour @ PLJ this afternoon as I am "working from home".

Or, as we call it in OUR house, Shirking from Home wink
ski holidays
It was minus 15.3 in Les Gets at 6.45 as the dog was keen to go out. Piste bashers working away and I could see a cannon working in the Perrieres direction.
latest report
I'm arriving in Morzine on the 15th so really hoping next week's forecast snowfall materialises (5-10cm on Tues and Fri). It's not a massive amount, but definitely enough to get more open.
latest report
Walking around up at Super Chatel and Morclan today and although there are only a couple of baby drags open at the moment they are definitely gearing up for opening a lot more. The red down to the Conche chair is quite doable (and all white) and the runs around the Double Coqs also look fine. The most interesting of all was that we walked down the piste to Vonnes and it is totally intact and in fact better than I've seen it before - all man made of course. Looking forward to a tiddly bit of snow tonight/tomorrow before more (hopefully) arrives from Tuesday onwards. Be interesting to see when they open more.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy