Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2016 - 2017

Poster: A snowHead
UPDATE!! TONIGHT!

AND IT IS snowing again in my garden right now and I have just been told it is dumping down up on the mountain again tonight. This means tomorrow could be another epic day if they open the lifts. After the snow today and more tonight it could be a Level 4 day tomorrow which would limit what we can do safely. Especially after the little slide we saw today!

Wednesday 1 March. Powder everywhere! What a great day!

After my warm up run down to the Vagere chair in fresh untracked powder I just new it would be a great day! It was! Powder up to our knees and deeper everywhere! We could have just kept skiing all day and all night, but the lifts closed by around 5pm so we had to go home!

After meeting up at the Vagere we headed through the meadows and forest to the Derby chair. What luck, it opened as we arrived!

Up top and more fresh untracked powder back to the chair. The queue was already to big so gave up on the Les Arcs side and headed to the Vanoise Express.

Up top of Les Coches and made some routes down both sides of the top ridge. Fresh tracks almost everywhere we went! Amazing.

We were having so much fun we did not even bother to stop for lunch. Please note anyone coming with us tomorrow please bring a picnic lunch. No stopping on a powder day!

After lunch back up and more laps of the forest and meadows by different routes all in fresh untracked powder.

We only stopped because we did not want to miss the Vanoise to get home. A fast ski to the Derby chair again then down the off piste all the way to the Vagere chair.

Finally over to the Altiport for a hot chocolate and home. Great day!

Photos from today are already posted in the new March 2017 Album over on the Les Arcs Winter page. Enjoy! https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/

Anyone wanting to come tomorrow please PM me to get the met up details. Bring a picnic as we plan to ski hard all day! snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks a bit 'wow' out there this morning. Very Happy Very Happy Arriving Saturday and next week looking just as good. We are owed some decent snow after the grass of January Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Couple of photos from the Bulle Café FB page. First one from earlier this month, second photo from yesterday:

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Only a little bit of snow fell then...feeling a little bit more optimistic for our Easter family trip.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arriving Saturday................ Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arriving Sunday ................ Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Well to La Plagne actually, but I couldn't resist
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Left Saturday Sad Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just wondering if anyone can help? And hope its ok to post this here as its not a snow report!
I am looking to buy ski passes on-line for w/c 09/04, but wasn't sure whether we qualify for a family pass. I need to book 1 adult, 2x 15 year olds and 2 x 13 year old passes (we're not all the same family - When I put in our ages in the Les Arcs site it directed me to buy a family pass - can we do that when not the same family?
What's the ski card?
I don't think I need carte neige as we have a comprehensive holiday insurance with winter sports cover.
And should I have them posted or collect when we arrive which might be awkward because we arrive in Arc 2000 late on the Saturday evening, then all have to get kitted up with ski's boots on sunday morning before ski lessons. The rest of our group are beginners and we have booked a beginners package with TO which was all-in and good value. Once passes are sorted I need to book ski hire from same place TO uses.

@Snowcrazy I messaged you this time last year before we booked - thanks for the advice.

Really excited but nervous, as its just me and a friend and 6 kids (husband has bad knees and staying at home) - kids have never skied abroad and I haven't for 16 years!

Hope there's still snow!! I check webcams most days - is that really sad?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gillap, Sad is checking the web cam hourly Embarassed Embarassed

Plenty of time to have the passes posted out but picking up in resort is easy but with crowd you have by all means buy now and get posted.

As for best option, put details in and it doe work out best package automatically, don't worry if not all from same family
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@thefatcontroller, Thanks, just needed reassurance before buying 5 x passes - ouch! Would be expensive mistake if I got it wrong.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thursday 2 March. Another powder day dawned this morning. I woke once more to snow in the garden and that meant only one thing! More fresh snow on the mountain and loads of it!

Headed on the funi at 9am and straight up the cachette chair for a warm up back down under the chair. Nice snow most of the way down and deep!

Back up top and with poor vis and light snow into the Mont Blanc forest. More powder jumps and fresh tracks most places we went!

It just got better and better. High up on the open slopes the powder was deep, light and fluffy! Down where then forest started and around the cliffs it was still good and we could ride the snow cushions down into the trees.

But then it started to get warmer! The lower snow started to become sticky and you had to stay in the sheltered places to find the powder.

Not put off we kept riding hard with a few of the group dropping out as conditions became more testing.

Finally by the time we had a quick break for lunch we were down to four, but still riding.

The higher lifts had opened so headed over to Arc 2000 via the back valley of comborciere which had good snow most of the way and then a great run down Par Avalanche in powder up top, but very mixed on the lower slopes, but with poor vis again most of the time. Next down right of Droset as the sun came out again and mixed snow conditions with more fresh tracks, but heavier snow on the lower slopes.

Time to head for home via Malgovert forest. More fresh tracks away from the normal routes and back to Arc 1600.

Another great day! Fresh tracks most of the time. Plenty of jumps and deep powder!

The pistes were all in great condition although sticky lower down. The off piste was really fun. Soft fluffy snow higher up. Sticky and getting heavier lower down.

Today was warmer and the snow quality was changing throughout the day. With clear skies tonight and a freeze, tomorrow should be interesting and if the higher lifts now open, it should be another great powder day. However the avalanche risks are higher now and heavy slides mean you do need to take great care.

The pistes are still busy, so stay under control and for the best day, my advice, follow the sun!

Photos from today coming shortly in the March 2017 album on the Les Arcs Winter page.

Anyone wanting to join us, please PM me before 9am. It will be another fast hunt the powder day! Toofy Grin

Gillap pleased to hear I was of help and enjoy your holiday!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi. Had no reply on the resort page so trying here. Can anyone confirm the opening hours for either of the two lift pass offices in Les Arcs 1800? Many thanks. Sorry if this is in the wrong place.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think it is 8:30am - 4pm.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@CH1975, thanks, that helps a lot. Cheers.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Something new which might interest those that come to Les Arcs often.

Hi folks. Just a quick message to all those interested in Race Training for themselves or their children during April holidays. The ESF has made a great offer for coaching an English speaking group for us. Please send me a message if you are interested including your email address and age/ability level of those interested in joining the group.

Places are limited and the skiers standard must be ok so once you have contacted me I will get back to you with the details. I will also need one parent to help out with Admin for this. Any offers to do this please let me know. The ESF are very keen to make this work. Look forward to hearing from you shortly.
snow conditions
Friday 3 March. Well what can I tell you about today! Interesting, challenging or maybe just amazing! Rather a long report today as conditions were rather different!

Went up at 9am again after the last two days of great powder. Hoped it would be the same again. Not so lucky, well at first anyway!

Our first run found untracked snow, but with a breakable crust covering the whole surface. What a disappointment. If this was at 2500m, the warm wet air from yesterday had done it's damage. Made another route across the next meadow, but a different aspect and the same! Not good! It really started to seem as if the humidity of yesterday afternoon followed by the freeze overnight had destroyed all the excellent new snow off piste.

On the other hand, although with the better weather lift queues were busy, the pistes were in excellent condition over on the Les Arcs side. Time to head over to the La Plagne side and see if conditions were any better over there.

We skied all around the pistes and some off piste areas in Les Coches and the down to Bellecote La Plagne and even Champagny, but although we were able to put down first tracks in some places, the snow was very mixed. Time for lunch.

After a quick break at the top of the Roches de Mio (you could not get any higher today) I suddenly had an idea. Try one of the more hidden couloirs and faces down to Bauches chair.

Finally some good snow. Powder again, firm in places, but nice to ski even on the steeper faces. After a fun ride we made it to the lift and back up top.

Even better, the morning crust had now softened and more very good snow almost all the way back to the Vanoise Express by an Off piste route.

The pistes in the afternoon were also much nicer to ski. Firm and grippy in most places, but also a little soft sometimes. Spring conditions had started to arrive!

After another fast ski across the pistes of Les Arcs it was a hot chocolate stop at the Altiport then home.

What started out as a not very good day, ended with some great skiing on and off piste. Just got to get the timing right!

Photos from today will follow shortly.

Tomorrow a later start so anyone wanting to join us please send me a PM. Not sure what we will be doing yet as it depends what the weather brings.

For those driving out tomorrow, the roads will be busy again, but right now they are clear of snow on the main routes. More snow is expected tomorrow so bring you snow chains just in case! Next week should not be as busy, but the weather is likely to be very mixed again. Safe journey and hope to see some of you in the coming week!

Anyone needing to rent skis or snowboards, check out Polaire Star Ski and Snowboard rental Shop at the bottom of the Funicular in Bourg they have some great gear to try and the do an excellent service of your skis or snowboard.

http://www.polairestar.com/
latest report
Travelling up to 2000 this evening, got potential to be a fun Skullie drive. Normally fly into Geneva but for 1st time have taken a Chambery option. Cars out of there don't come with winter tyres as standard.......
latest report
Looking at 2000 webcam I must rent snow chains in Chambery and figure out how to use them.... Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
thefatcontroller wrote:
TNormally fly into Geneva but for 1st time have taken a Chambery option. Cars out of there don't come with winter tyres as standard.......
Best of luck. I made that mistake in November (flying to Lyon rather than GVA). Never again.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
TNormally fly into Geneva but for 1st time have taken a Chambery option. Cars out of there don't come with winter tyres as standard.......
Best of luck. I made that mistake in November (flying to Lyon rather than GVA). Never again.

We have the kids with us (kids? 3 x teenagers) and departure and arrival airport closer so that what was attractive. The hire car was an assumption after we booked flights...Yes Geneva rocks for hire cars when i look at the webcam. Flight lands Chambery 5pm so we will be heading up right in the thick of it by the look of the forecast. Laughing
snow conditions
@snowcrazy, loving your reports.
ski holidays
@thefatcontroller, I think there are very high winds today, hopefully that won't affect your planned landing in Chambery. Used to fly to Chambery when I could because it was closer, but more expensive car hire (once you had factored in winter tyres) and one diversion (to GVA) too many means I won't consider it any more. It's only an additional hour's drive from GVA. That's a small price to pay IMO, although I don't have other people to factor in to my plans.
snow report
@rob@rar, I know, especially now it is straight motorway out of Geneva. In hindsight..... Laughing Laughing but yes never again. Looking at Eurostar for next year as just realised the other day I get 50% of Eurostar fares through work which makes it very attractive. Anyway must finish packing and reading about how to put snow chains on......
ski holidays
thefatcontroller wrote:
...especially now it is straight motorway out of Geneva...
Yes, that sealed the deal for me. GVA to the SuperU in Bourg is just over two hours then a quick groceries stop, with another 20 minutes up the hill to my place in 1800. The only thing that worries me now is how often I arrive in Bourg and can't remember any of the drive there! Surely autopilot should be reserved for the journey to GVA, not from it?!
snow conditions
@rob@rar, Laughing Laughing You a Albertville via Lake Annecy person?
latest report
thefatcontroller wrote:
Yes, unless it's a very busy Saturday. Probably not a significant difference in time, but I find the drive around the lake a bit more uplifting Happy
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
Yes, unless it's a very busy Saturday. Probably not a significant difference in time, but I find the drive around the lake a bit more uplifting Happy

and an emergency Mc D's in the late of night as nothing else is open. Potentially the only Mc D's I have in any year but very nice it is.
snow conditions
Heading out of Chambery tonight at 6pm. Any good wishes to @thefatcontroller crew are of course full of self interest!

What felt like snowmageddon an hour ago has been replaced with bright sunshine (in ADH) so here's hoping for a safe trip for all.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Arctic Roll, Will be landing 5pm Chambery
snow report
Time for another update! Snow now stopped lower down and winds are reducing. Roads clear again! BUT slippy in stations. Cachette chair now open as are other lower lifts. A few lifts open in Arc 2000 bowl. Sorry no refunds today. They have just enough open to avoid that!

The bad weather might be back later so be prepared for delays if driving out or home today.

More to follow later.
ski holidays
Saturday 4 March. A day that wasn't, at least for me!

Set off to meet the others and saw almost all the lifts marked in RED on the sign. It was Saturday so thought not much of it as they often do not get the openings right on the sin at the bottom!

They did today. At the top of the Funi the pisteur was there directing everyone to the bus or the beginner lift. The Mont Blanc and Cachette Chair were closed. This has not happened for a very long time. Delayed yes, but closed!?

Met up with friends and time for a coffee! Then finally up the beginner chair. Had a chat with some young FIS racers.They only managed the Girls race. Boys was stopped. They were not happy!

Then we went back up and found some 'amazing untracked snow' on a closed piste all the way down to the mid station of the Funi! Well actually, the snow was heavy, sticky, but in some places which you tried to avoid it was untracked!

Finally back on the Funi and home by around 2pm I guess.

Not much of a day for me, but a rest even does me some good sometimes.

They did open the Cachette and Vagere later, but not much else higher up. Tomorrow I hope will be better.

Anyone wanting to join us tomorrow. We plan on going up about 9.20am, but please get in contact via PM as right now we do not know what will be open. It depends on the winds. Hope they drop!

UPDATE again! It has stopped snowing lower down and most roads are now clear of snow. Just raining lower down. Hope it is snowing again higher up.
ski holidays
Just arrived 2000. Hairy drive by 1600 but lighter snow up top. Road busy but only because they were using traffics lights just before Moutier which was causing a 5 mile tailback but nothing after lights? Only in France. More tomorrow. Tired.
snow conditions
Sun shining in Arc 2000, lots of blasting going on. Heavy snow forecast from tonight onwards. Boarding today, 3 kids with us, one can board the other 2 having their 1st lesson today. All 5 of us moving to the dark side....
ski holidays
@thefatcontroller, how was your landing into Chambery? While we were waiting we saw an inbound Amsterdam flight diverted, (passengers sent to Geneva) a flight from Cardiff land but only after a go-around, a flight from Southampton (I think?) divert to Grenoble, passengers bussed down there, and our Charter inbound flight from LGW landed on time (hurrah!) , followed by a BA while we were sitting on the tarmac.

We had a Monarch pilot in our group, who was explaining the approach route, the limits, and all the decision making that goes on which, because of the approach angles, is necessarily at a much higher altitude at Chambery than other airports. And sometimes a minor break in the clouds can get you in: 5 mins later, and it's off to somewhere else. I now have a shiny new app on my phone explaining these sorts of things!
snow conditions
@Arctic Roll, We were on the Cardiff one. That explains why we were so long coming in. He said 10 mins to landing but it took way longer. Jez it was bumpy Skullie Skullie
latest report
@thefatcontroller, it's not often I've experienced people in the terminal building cheering when they announce arrivals!
snow report
In Arpette restaurant. Sun shining, slopes stunning. Hope everyone's been to mass.

@Arctic Roll, Glad we had no idea what was going on, it was an interesting landing.
snow report
Suns gone, snowing in 2000......Interesting few days ahead....

snow conditions
Oh my god, 2 seasons in a day. Morning, spring and soft snow, this afternoon no wind and massive snowfall, powder, powder, powder, best snowboarding conditions one could pray for. Oh and its still snowing, got to cook dinner for 5 hungry people, might have some photos to show later.
ski holidays
Some photos from this afternoon.

Just below Bois lift looking down, parallel to slowest lift in the world

Same spot looking up at Bois lift.

God that was fun......
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy